K-State president has heard enough of vulgar anti-KU chant

Kansas State fans watch with disbelief after the Wildcats are whistled for a foul during the first half, Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016 at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kan. by Nick Krug

Around here, the popular profanity-laced chant unleashed by K-State students at home basketball games, whether they're playing KU or not, has become the butt of many jokes, with Kansas fans pointing to what they believe is an inferiority complex by the Wildcats.

Whether that is accurate or not is up for debate and depends on who you're talking to and whom you're talking about, but administrators at K-State evidently have heard enough.

Released at high volume during the riot-inducing sounds of the popular techo beat "Sandstorm," the "F— KU" chant, as it has become affectionately known throughout the state, has been a fixture at Kansas State basketball games during recent seasons.

It showed up again this year, when the Jayhawks knocked off the Wildcats 74-71 on Feb. 6 in Manhattan and even was audible earlier in the season, when the Wildcats played Texas at home.

While the chant has become part of the rivalry and is a source of pride for many K-Staters, first-year KSU president Richard Myers would like to see it end.

Myers, on K-State's official web site on Thursday, released the following statement about the chant and sportsmanship in general.

"As the first year of my presidency unfolds, I continue to be even more impressed by the wonderful accomplishments of our students, faculty and staff. I hear daily about a student's accomplishment or a faculty member's significant research. What a pleasant surprise to discover our university is even better than I knew. This is why I decided to compete to become your president.

One surprise that has not been pleasant is hearing a vulgar chant at sporting events targeted at our in-state rival. It's easy to see how one can get caught up in the moment. However, many of my friends across the nation reached out to me following last week's men's basketball game and expressed their dismay. The chant was clearly heard from coast to coast on national television. It was personally embarrassing and not what one expects from a world-class university.

The strength of the Wildcat family lies in passing our legacy from one generation to the next. K-Staters are known for doing the right thing. Whether our fans are 8, 18 or 80, they deserve the best fan experience in the Big 12. I think about those younger fans sitting in the stands or watching on television and know they represent our next generation. As we continue the spring competition season, let's show them the Wildcat Way."

Whether the words above, or others like them from other K-State dignitaries, are enough to get rid of the chant remains to be seen and likely won't be known for at least another year. It's also not the biggest deal in the world. Fans will be fans and sometimes fans of all teams just can't control their emotions.

But props to Myers for speaking up.

The K-State fan base is one of the best in the country and consistently brings great energy and excitement to the rivalry with KU. They're clever, loud, passionate and proud and those traits should be enough without having to make blatant, loud and prolonged profanities a part of their regular routine.

Comments

Joe Joseph 10 months ago

I'll give you loud, passionate and proud. Clever, however...

Matt Tait 10 months ago

Haha. Fair enough. I've seen some pretty good signs over there plenty of times. Some pretty bad ones, too, but that doesn't take away credit for the clever ones.

Patrick Bryant 10 months ago

Loved the sign "we own this state" after their 2nd straight loss.

Tim Orel 10 months ago

I enjoyed many of the signs aimed at Svi this year concerning traveling. However, I enjoyed more that KU hung yet another loss on them.

Jonathan Allison 10 months ago

During my time at KU the Muck Fizzou shirts and chant were all the rage. Naturally during MU games the chant of Muck Fizzou would naturally morph into something more similar to "F--- Mizzou".

It was talked about often as it sometimes was audible during TV broadcasts. There was always a great deal of resistance to it because most fans didn't like it. It was however hard to drown out.

It was also during my time when the Football kickoff chant of "Rip His F------ Head Off" became mainstream. At first it was a handful of students and it was kinda funny. But it quickly became a controversy when it became bigger and bigger.

Also I remember getting lectures from Bill Self in pre-recorded videos about the National Anthem and students singing "home of the Chieeeefs". I never understood why people did that at Allen Fieldhouse. Talk about a tradition that doesn't translate from Arrowhead Stadium into Allen Fieldhouse. That didn't make any sense.

I hope that none of these still go on at KU games.

I hope that neither of those chants are still a thing at KU.

Steve Corder 10 months ago

Jonathan, I too am disgusted that ANY K-State or KU student (interesting I've not heard about "adults" using that language) would find such rants funny, clever or appropriate.

I told off a row of vulgar and drunk KU students about the kick-off rant being offensive, especially with my wife and young grandchildren sitting among them at a bowl game in Fort Worth.

Hats off to the K-State Pres. and other adults (like Self and Williams) in the room to remind the "children" of propriety and proportion.

Ken Schmidt 10 months ago

I dunno. We have generally diminished the "rip their XX head off" chant on kickoffs at football after pleas from the University. Maybe it has been a composite of fewer fans and especially students in the last few years. As a parent of two highly impressionable young children who go to most every football game, that is one of the few things I like seeing gone. For our kid's sake, yell, scream, get rowdy but in the end, the kids are watching and listening. It makes the job as a parent harder to explain how to win or lose with sportsmanship, when they have these silly chants in their young minds. It still is a family event.

Brent Held 10 months ago

That still happens but i'm sure with the small crowd it probably doesn't reach across the field. IMO everyone has been in college and if kids haven't found out about cuss words yet, they will eventually like it or not.

Suzi Marshall 10 months ago

KSU has great and classy leadership with General Myers and Snyder as their president and football coach, respectively. The KSU students should take a moment to reflect upon the examples those two provide.

Brian Gress 10 months ago

I remember a similar situation at KU in 1988/1989. Anytime the opposing team made a free throw, the student section would yell "a**hole." Roy Williams sent a letter to the student body (can't remember if it was printed in the UDK) asking for it to stop. The student section policed itself very well and anyone yelling it was told to stop. I think these messages are best received from the head coach with the backing of the university.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 10 months ago

This article would have been so much better if they used the picture of all the fans flipping the bird at Frank Mason from the most recent game at the Octagon o' Doom.

Matt Tait 10 months ago

Did we have that picture? If so, I don't remember it.

Joe Ross 10 months ago

RE: "The K-State fan base is one of the best in the country...They're clever, loud, passionate and proud..."

They're a$$holes and have been that way for a long time. It has everything to do with an inferiority complex. It's a common tactic. When someone else is on a higher level than you are, bait them and see if you can't get them down in the hog pen with you. Kansas has had its less-than-stellar moments, yes, a lot of which has been responsorial in nature and most of which has been long ago (when talking about activities of a student body at games).

They're simply trying to make themselves relevant.

Joe Ross 10 months ago

Two guys--a Wildcat fan and a Jayhawk fan--show up to a basketball game with the letters "KSU" and "KU" emblazoned on their T-shirts.

The Wildcat fan says, "Hey where's the 'S' between the 'K' and that 'U'?"

The Jayhawk, ever the cool customer replies, "No point in putting it in. We keep kicking the 'S' outta 'KSU'."

Brian Skelly 10 months ago

I have a hard time getting to ate up about this either way. Sorry, I dont. If its adults, parents, alums its one thing. If it's students, its another. Should it be? An argument can be made.

Considering I remember no shortage of the "Muck Fizzou" t-shirts in my days on campus back then, I simply cant get to bothered by this.

KSU will always feel inferior to KU regardless of what they are or arent saying.

Barry Weiss 10 months ago

I know K-state fans hate KU more than anything. As a KU grad, I never got that wound up about them....now Missouri.....

Ben Berglund 10 months ago

Matt, I agree that it's by far "not the biggest deal in the world." Sometimes it's just your own fault for being offended. It's a sporting rivalry - the passionate hate is a lot of the fun. Your kids probably hear cuss words at school and on the radio anyway.

Chris DeWeese 10 months ago

I'm probably biased, but I have found more and more K-hate fans to be increasingly rude, crude, trashy, vitriolic, venomous, and the list goes on. I agree KU fans have had their moments, but I just don't see the level of hate and unabashed contempt from our fans that I see from the K-hate faithful. Facebook is ripe with this, and I've seen several disgusting posts from so-called friends. Plus, I've heard some coworkers express a desire for the entire KU campus to be detonated, wiped from the face of the earth. They say Quantrill was a national hero and should have killed even more Lawrence residents than he did. I realize that deep down, K-hate fans probably don't really believe all of this, but as a KU fan I would never post or express such statements. Inferiority complex? Possibly. Searching for their identity? Probably. Hateful and classless? Definitely. I'm fine with having a passionate rivalry, but it shouldn't devolve into this. Am I overreacting?

Len Shaffer 10 months ago

I don't think you're overreacting, Chris. I've been to three games at KSU (two basketball and one football), and in two of the three, I almost got into a fight, through no fault of my own. To say they're prickly is an understatement.

That's why I thought the comment that "K-Staters are known for doing the right thing" was one of the funniest things I've seen/heard in a long time.

Mike Greer 10 months ago

Do they still teach Kansas history in middle school? As an old Kansan, growing up near the border, there was never much love for Missourians, especially after that Kansas History class. The "Muck Fizzou" shirt craze was going on when my daughter attended KU and I'll have to admit I saw more humor in it than she did, but she didn't grow up in Kansas. Now that I'm more of an adult, I can understand the lack of sensitivity such a slogan expresses and regret my previous endorsement of such an insensitive expression.

There are a lot of things people just don't think about at the moment and I'm sure the F KU chant is one of them. More likely than not, most of those fans will not admit to being part of that fray when they too mature and become more of an adult. We should probably all clean up our acts.

Titus Canby 10 months ago

Similar to my thoughts when their band tried to represent a vulgar act on the field, since when do we care what anyone at K-State does? They're bagatelles.

David Robinett 10 months ago

I believe I recall hearing that KSU chant at my very first football game in Memorial Stadium in 1979. Of course it was responded to with KU students shouting back in unison: "eat blank eat blank KSU !"

Patrick Bryant 10 months ago

There is a fine line walked by college students. Making decisions without a fully developed frontal lobe (maybe distilled at the moment) and being a "super fan". Years ago my daughter went to the KU/KSU FB game in Manhattan. She was walking into the stadium with her KU shirt on, with a group of students screaming "F... KU" at her the entire distance. Guess who never went back? I live in the heart of KSU country and it is nauseating. My good friends that are KSU fans are realistic but there is a lot that is not even close to reality. I hope they listen to their President but I bet they don't.

Trace Stark 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Where's Wefald at now I wonder? He seemed to delight and enjoy such playful banter and high jinks from the mildcat faithful. Used to root for state when they played other teams than the Jayhawks... gave that up after the jerk hit Jamari Traylor. We have a 100 game edge over these clowns in basketball... no wonder they are upset. once snyder leaves, their football program will bottom out again posthaste...I for one can't wait. Rock Chalk