A tip of the cap to KU's Jamari Traylor for role in Monday night's court-storming fiasco at K-State

In this sequence of images a court-rusher checks Kansas forward Jamari Traylor on his way toward the Kansas players before being temporarily stopped by security. by Nick Krug

Lost, at least to some, in the aftermath of K-State's latest court-storming frenzy and all of the opinions and hot takes that followed it, was the admirable restraint shown by Kansas University forward Jamari Traylor.

I like Traylor. He's a friendly guy who has his limitations as a basketball player but also genuinely seems to be trying his best whenever he's on the floor.

All of that said, my respect for the Chicago junior sky-rocketed Monday night, after watching him get unnecessarily bumped and blindsided by a Kansas State fan who rushed the floor. Rather than adding a horrendous layer of nastiness to an already ugly scene, Traylor acted with intelligence.

Judging by the photograph captured by Journal-World photographer Nick Krug — which Kansas State police used to help successfully identify and find the young man who I can only assume is a K-State student — I'm guessing that the 6-foot-8, 220-pound Traylor had at least 4 or 5 inches and 50 or so pounds on the guy.

Add to that the fact that Traylor is a finely tuned, ripped Div. I athlete and the K-State student is, well, not, and it's easy to conclude that if Traylor had felt like it — or even if he simply had been in a frame of mind to react and retaliate without thinking — he could have sent the young man to the hospital in a matter of seconds.

But he didn't. After initially reacting the way any of us would've — with shock, anger and frustration over something he never saw coming — Traylor walked away and did nothing.

I'll admit my surprise. Traylor is an emotional dude and an even more emotional player and it's easy to envision a scenario in which he might have taken the other path and created an even greater mess. That's especially easy to do when you consider the fact that the incident took place mere moments after a tough loss to a heated, in-state rival.

As for the incident as a whole, I don't have much to say about it other than to point out the obvious that the situation needs to be fixed.

Players and coaches from visiting teams cannot continue to be put in harm's way — no matter how serious the threat — when home fans storm the floor to celebrate an emotionally charged upset. It's a recipe for disaster and one that hopefully will be addressed and taken care of up front before someone unable to control himself the way Traylor was goes crazy and injures someone in response to the storming.

I'm certainly not condoning it, but you'd be hard pressed to find me passing judgment on any athlete who reacted negatively when put in a situation like the one Traylor was in. Sure, you'd like to think that all athletes could see the bigger picture, realize it's just a game, just walk away and all of those other buzz phrases that sound good, but in the heat of the moment that's not so easy to do and Traylor deserves a ton of credit for handling it the right way instead of making things worse.

8:34 p.m. Update:

In related news, the young man who bumped Traylor came forward with an apology letter in the K-State Collegian.

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 6 years, 8 months ago

Maaan.. it's unimaginable had Traylor lost his cool. He showed why he belongs to a classy program. Couldn't agree more with what's written here.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 8 months ago

That kid absolutely deserved to be decked by Traylor for being stupid. It's truly ridiculous how ignorant some KSU fans are of why KU fans are upset about what happened last night. My cousin trying to tell me it's no big deal what happened and to just move on. Minimizing people's safety is a big deal and she just doesn't get that's why I'm upset about the game. Apparently that's how most of the current generation of KSU fans are. Just a massive inferiority complex towards KU and don't use logic even when a logical, rational point is made.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 8 months ago

The worst part to me also was that she basically said she cares more about beating than KSU winning. The really pathetic thing is that's how the vast majority of KSU fans in the or mid 20's and younger feel about KSU. Getting more happiness out of someone else's failure instead of your own success is why KSU will always be little brother and why I pity them instead of hate them. My cousin's older brother (a mid 90's KSU grad) definitely has a more grounded view of the rivalry and I can actually have debate with him without childish bashing of KU and he actually enjoys KSU winning more than KU losing.

This rivalry is going to get very ugly in the near future with this current view of KU by KSU students. I fully expect it to be worse than what Missouri was. Outside of the Antlers, I never dealt with Missouri fans that were as bad as what KSU fans are quickly becoming.

Doug Cramer 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree with your cousin. This is not a big deal. Traylor can handle it...and he handled it well.

Now lets see if he can grow from it and finish the season strong.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 8 months ago

You are dead wrong on this one Doug. Everyone was lucky nothing serious ended up happening. This is something where there needs to be proactive action taken so the "big deal" doesn't happen. Being reactive and waiting until the "big deal" happens is going to cost a school a lot of money one day from the lawsuit that will follow when a player actually retaliates.

Allison Steen 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I like to say people are free to their own opinion, but this is an idiotic point of view. We are lucky as all hell that Traylor kept it together. Why are people so fine with the whole "no one got hurt so who cares". KU players and coaches personal safety (not to mention their own players and coaches could've gotten hurt) were in jeopardy and that is a HUGE deal.

Allison Steen 6 years, 8 months ago

I have a cousin who is an alum of kstate and is probably the worst I have ever come into contact with, and I've come into contact with a lot of bad ones (random stranger calling me the c word for wearing a ku shirt in manhattan after KU beat KSU with sherron in overtime). The only time he has ever gotten on facebook except maybe his birthday is when kstate wins so he can troll the good side of the family (ahem, ku alums).

He actually said he would prefer kstate to lose the rest of their games this season to help ensure KU doesn't win an 11th straight. They truly care more about KU losing, than kstate winning. Really sad.

Kristen Downing 6 years, 8 months ago

KState should take a look at Maryland's security measures. Way to go Turg. I wish we had a leader like Dez Wells.

Vernon Riggs 6 years, 8 months ago

Hold the university officials accountable. Give the 18, 19, 20, 21-year old ding-a-lings a break. They are not the brightest or they would have gone some place else. They don't get to celebrate winning Big12 Tittles, National Championships and they have Liberace for a coach. It must suck to go to KSUck.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 8 months ago

Nathan's "apology" is weak. Note his care in not mentioning what he specifically did. Very calculated, considering there are surely criminal investigations pending. At least he stopped short of saying it was an accident. Although, reading between the lines, that sure seems like what he's saying.

Dale Koch 6 years, 8 months ago

Traylor not reacting with aggression when blindsided by the goofball is not the Traylor we all know from the past. Remember the ISU game when he got in the face of their player defending one of our own or was that the home game with KSU? Remember the bar brawl that got him suspended for a game? That's the aggressive Traylor I want to see out on the court during the game not the slumped shouldered passive Jamari we've seen these last few games. Not saying he should have decked the guy but a month ago he might have. Keep thinking about the Texas game and how passionate he seemed to play in that game. We need that back.

Allison Steen 6 years, 8 months ago

He wasn't in a bar brawl. If he was, he would've been suspended much longer, possibly kicked off the team, and charged with a real crime, not the fluff that he was charged with. How can you wish Traylor hadn't reacted in any other way than he did?

Dale Koch 6 years, 8 months ago

Allison, reread my message, nowhere did I say I wanted him to do anything differently than he did. Just that he isn't playing with the same intensity that he did during the Texas game. Did you watch the OSU game? He was never in that game mentally. Droopy shoulders no attitude at all. Coach is always wanting him to be more aggressive. Why do you think he isn't starting anymore? I want the Texas game Jamari back. And you are wrong about the bar brawl. He was involved and he did sit one game. He also sat the game last year against KSU and I always thought that cost us that game then. Same reason, disciplined for something he did then. December 7, 2014 check the link. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/dec...

John Randall 6 years, 8 months ago

For once, the headline on an article is accurate and pertinent. JT certainly did himself, his coach, his team, his school proud by displaying self control when provoked beyond what he could have withstood as recently as earlier this year.

As I recall, this growth in personal responsibility resulted (at least partially) from discipline applied by his coaches.

Will the KSU hooligan involved here receive the same support (tough love & guidance) to help him learn to manage his behavior in a less repulsive way?

John Randall 6 years, 8 months ago

Why, in all the reactions, explanations and excuses from KUS fans, students, apologists have we not seen the word ASHAMED? Am I just being cynical to believe there is a mentality in Manhattan that the perpetrators should get away with this behavior?

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 8 months ago

That mentality is the reality in Manhattan. They literally care about KU losing than KSU winning. There's a reason why EMAW stands for Every Moron A Wildcat and is also the same sound a donkey makes which makes them all jacka**es.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 8 months ago

Seems to be a bit of a dig in that "apology" where he says he made them feel disrespected. Not a great choice of words, or message, in my opinion. Not a log of sincerity in that "apology."

Len Shaffer 6 years, 8 months ago

You're being kind, Dale. There was NO sincerity in that "apology," and it was written (by his lawyer, no doubt) for one reason only: to minimize as much as possible the punishment he'll get.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 8 months ago

That little dumba** that checked Traylor has been cited for disorderly conduct. I wish is was battery or assault, but this is still more than I actually expected to happen.

Allison Steen 6 years, 8 months ago

Nice! Hey I'll take it. I definitely expected for kstate to show face in the media and try so hard to find him and then nothing really happening. If Traylor had been hurt, I bet it would of been worse for the kid, but since he wasn't that is the best they could do.

Dale Koch 6 years, 8 months ago

He Allison, check out this link. Jamari arrested for bar brawl on Dec. 7th. 2014. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/dec...

Dale Sprague 6 years, 8 months ago

Let's see: Prosecutor is employed by the City of Manhattan and so is the Municipal Judge. Shame the case couldn't be transferred to Lawrence City Municipal Court for prosecution!