What caught my eye at Wednesday's KU football practice: Nov. 12

Wednesday's KU football practice was one that closely resembled what the game time temperatures are expected to be this weekend when the Jayhawks and TCU Horned Frogs kick off at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Biting winds that dropped the temperature to around 12 degrees made Wednesday a little different than most of the other practices the Jayhawks have had this season, and, although most adjusted accordingly there, there were a few warriors among the bunch out there today.

While most players bundled up with long sleeves and tights to stay warm, a few guys went with short sleeves and shorts just like it was a normal September practice.

The ones I saw who bared all were: Kyle Pullia, Mike Smithburg, Jordan Shelley-Smith and Preston Randall. Go figure, three of the four were offensive linemen. Props to those guys. I stood out there for about 40 minutes and even bundled up in a coat and gloves, it was cold. (I was an idiot and forgot a hat or hood of any kind, so I was toughing it out a little bit).

Anyway, all of this might seem irrelevant, but it really might not be. The high temperature in Fort Worth, Texas, on Wednesday was 45 degrees. While not exactly warm, that was about 30 degrees warmer than what the guys in Lawrence were dealing with. And with afternoon temperatures the next two days hovering around the same mark, it's definitely possible that the game day temperatures expected to be in the high teens — with a 90 percent chance for snow, by the way — could have a much bigger impact on TCU's roster, which includes 79 native Texans, than KU's, which has been practicing in weather like that all week.

We'll see. A heavy dose of snow would make it interesting for both offenses, but, if you're KU, you'll take that trade off because it could even the playing field a little bit.

Here's a quick look at what else caught my eye at Wednesday's practice:

• Joe Dineen may very well have a new position yet again. The freshman from Free State High was working with the linebackers on Wednesday, this after he moved from safety to running back during preseason camp after the Jayhawks lost Brandon Bourbon and Taylor Cox to season-ending injuries. It's hard to know what this means for Dineen's future, without talking to him or KU coach Clint Bowen, but there was some talk before he even signed with KU about the potential for the 6-foot-2, 208-pound Dineen to move to linebacker in the future. Good to see him getting a look there late in the season. Either way, I think his future's on defense.

• Keon Stowers, Andrew Bolton and De'Andre Mann all were practicing and appeared to be going full speed through the drills I saw. That bodes well for KU's lineup this weekend. Still waiting for more information on offensive lineman Ngalu Fusimalohi. We might not fully know his status until game time.

• Maybe it was just their way of combatting the cold, but the coaches, including Bowen, had an extra dose of intensity on Wednesday. Probably not worth reading too much into, but that's one thing that always has impressed me about this coaching staff — no matter who the opponent is or what their odds are for the upcoming game (and remember they are playing the No. 5 team in the country this weekend), the coaches prepare like they'll be right there and like they have a great shot. That kind of mentality rubs off on the players and can become the foundation of a program.

Comments

Richard Duran 7 years, 2 months ago

Awesome! Football in the snow! I remember when I was in school we beat CU in the snow in Boulder!

Edward Daub 7 years, 2 months ago

Why is Matt Tait smiling? Because he now gets to cover Both Kansas Football And Kansas Basketball! Seriously, the TCU Game is Huge for the future of Kansas Football. If we can upset the Horned Frogs, Clint Bowen will be the next Head Football Coach at KU!

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Edward - I love your passion, but beating TCU, and Bowen becoming our next head coach are pipe dreams.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

Glen I like Bowen....but not as our head coach. Just want this program back to competing. Ready to be excited about going up to Lawrence on Saturdays.

We haven't had that since Mangino was forced out.

Nick McCaslin 7 years, 2 months ago

What team have you been watching for the last month? Our program is competing and improving every week. Wake up this is what the beginning of a turn around looks like.

Mark Palmer 7 years, 2 months ago

Doug, you need to stop making predictions after that fine effort on the ISU game.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

Snow makes craziness happen. And it should be cold enough for long enough to make the snow stick to the field that it slows down the TCU receivers.

Doug Cramer 7 years, 2 months ago

They should see some snow...but probably not very much. Dry airmass in place will cause a lot of it to sublimate prior to reaching the surface. Still could see a light coating though, which may be enough to slow down that TCU offense.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 2 months ago

Snow or not, hopefully the weather is enough to slow TCU - keep them under 80.

Lance Cheney 7 years, 2 months ago

What ever happened to Kyron Watson (I believe that's his name), the freshman LB? We heard a lot about him at the beginning of the season, but I haven't heard or read anything about him since then. Has he been playing at all?

Al Martin 7 years, 2 months ago

For that matter, what about Schyler Miles? I was looking forward to his LB play, too.

Lance Cheney 7 years, 2 months ago

I forgot about him, for the same reason.

Chris Bailey 7 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if Matt Tait can answer that question for us. I remember the staff and especially Weis being so pumed when he signed. I honestly thought he'd crack the depth chart. He looks to buried on it though.

Brandon Mahon 7 years, 2 months ago

Watson has played sparingly. I am not sure if they are trying to RS him or not but I know I've seen him play a little which means the RS has probably been burnt

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 2 months ago

He's behind Ben Heeney on the depth chart. He should be a fine player, but he's not better than Heeney right now.

Jennifer Nikkila Pressgrove 7 years, 2 months ago

I saw Watson make a nice tackle in the ISU game. I was wondering the same about Miles though.