KU football commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore not going anywhere

Class of 2013 linebacker Marcus Jenkins-Moore poses with KU linebackers coach Clint Bowen during a recent visit in California. by Matt Tait

Kansas University commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore caused quite a stir late Wednesday afternoon, when he posted on both his Facebook page and his Twitter account that he had plans to take an official visit to Louisville.

Jenkins-Moore, one of the biggest KU supporters in the current recruiting class, hails from Louisville and the news spread quickly. Fans took to message boards and Twitter in search of answers, some going as far as to say their hearts dropped or that their days were ruined.

In the end, it all turned out to be much ado about nothing.

When reached by phone by the Journal-World, Jenkins-Moore said he was just “bored” and simply was “playin' around.”

Later, on the social media sites, he said he simply floated the fake message out there to see if KU fans would notice.

They did. And so did he.

Later, he returned to the popular sites to post the following soothing statements:

“I was just playin,” he wrote on Facebook. “It's Rock Chalk til the death of me!”

As for Twitter, the Pierce Community College linebacker was busy responding to numerous KU fans but also fit in the following: “Just playin around a lil bit! No worries ‪#Kansas ! There's only gonna be one hat present in 7 days! Cracked a joke on my ‪#KU family! Forgive me.”

Jenkins-Moore more is one of 15 players expected to sign national letters of intent next Wednesday, the first day of the regular football signing period.

Jenkins-Moore said he could not wait to make it official and that he had started a countdown for his arrival on campus.

As for his partner in crime, Pierce defensive tackle Marquel Combs, who was not believed to be in on the Twitter/Facebook prank, Jenkins-Moore said he thought Combs would be returning to Pierce for the spring semester to finish up classes that did not transfer and the two of them would report to Lawrence in June.

That was just his read on the situation, though, and by no means is official. Combs signed with KU in December and had planned to arrive on campus in time for the start of the spring semester but has not yet reported.

We'll keep an eye on that situation as well as Twitter, but don't expect any more jokes from Jenkins-Moore before next Wednesday.

;

Comments

shelleysue 1 year, 2 months ago

Marcus. Haha! I love that you're playin'. But we won one game last year and the two years before that were a train wreck, so our hearts are pretty sensitive. Looking forward to you bringing it to the field this fall. I know all the Jayhawk fans appreciate you coming to Kansas to help turn things around. CAN'T WAIT!! Rock Chalk all the way.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Matt-

Thanks for continuing the off-season coverage. I have a good feeling about this recruiting class for the most part. I'm still not sold on the fact that we have a strong enough receiving corps, but I do have a question for you. How strong is Kellen Ash's commitment since the departure of Demonte Cross? I assume he had a lot to do with Ash committing?

Emery 1 year, 2 months ago

But not all coaches take the issue of decommitments personally. Former Georgia recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner told ESPN how little a commitment really means. In the end, a verbal commitment is nothing more than words coming out of a recruit's mouth, he said.

"Now, really, a commitment means nothing, it means absolutely nothing," said Garner, who is now the assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Auburn. "We can say what we want to -- 'We have X number of players committed.' But how many of them are actually committed? 'I am committed, but I am taking all five of my visits.' Is that really committed?

"Committed means, 'Hey, I like you and I am going to look around and if I don't find anything better, then, yeah, I am going to stay with you.'"

"It's a game, but politics do matter," Bellamy said simply.

Coaches get offended, fans get offended and every so often players get offended when a recruit decommits. In the end, though, the game of recruiting is like having a high school sweetheart. You go back and forth and weigh your options. Sometimes you get it right the first time, sometimes you don't. You're not truly committed until you sign your letter of intent. That marriage of athlete and university, as observed by the NCAA, is the only binding document that matters.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Reuben- The KU football team has been a joke for the last 3 years, what do you expect?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

Ha!

You know what else is funny? 1-11.

It seems our football program is full of comedians.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm gonna be pissed when this guy's supposed to report to campus and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is there instead. Another internet hoax...

JHWKDW 1 year, 2 months ago

There is worse things he could have done.Anyone remember the fights with the Basketball team, and some of the team fighting and causing trouble on campus. This is a silly/dumb thing to do but not the worse thing at KU. But he should not make a habit of doing this.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Marcus - I forgot to tell you - due to circumstances beyond my control we are going to have to switch your position to place-kicker. And you will need to be suited up as BigJay when you're not attempting extra points and field goals.

Coach Charlie. ( just playin around. no worries )

iamakufan 1 year, 2 months ago

Looking forward to seeing him play a big role in the big turnaround that's coming.

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, coming off a one win season--and still a long way to go--I don't see the humor. Also, the news that Combs hasn't reported yet is troubling.

Emery 1 year, 2 months ago

Marcus is a real weis-guy!

cmania 1 year, 2 months ago

Matt, any word on other targets we might be able to land before next week?

Emery 1 year, 2 months ago

Is this like a soft commitment?

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

While the misses on Josiah St. John and Reeve Koehler were disappointing, I think this staff has done a good job of holding onto all the verbal commitments, especially Bloomfield when he got the KSU offer and Isaiah Johnson when he got the TTU, Wisconsin, and Missouri offers.

I'm a little concerned about Combs though. He'll still be an impact player and one of the best players on our defense next season, but 5 more months with Holsopple and all the spring practices would be very beneficial. With Stowers, Tavai, Agostino, Holmes, McKinney, Goodman, Willis, Williams, Young, Chris Martin and Tedarian Johnson in Lawrence in the spring the DL could actually be a strength next year despite Combs and Bolton not arriving on campus until June.

ArgyleJayhawks 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm always a fan of recruits who troll the whole recruiting process. Enjoy the self-awareness.

ArgyleJayhawks 1 year, 2 months ago

This shows his true character! :)

Bob Forer 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't know whether to be pissed off or to laugh. But all is well, and am glad he is coming.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 2 months ago

So if a guy signs in the early JUCO signing period, but doesn't arrive for the spring semester, does that affect his commitment?

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

He's the best player in the class.

April13 1 year, 2 months ago

If that isn't the ugliest building in America, it's got to be a close second. I can't imagine what some these recruits think when they arrive at KU and see the Anderson complex.

Joey Meyer 1 year, 2 months ago

I like this guy already. Happy to have you on board Marcus!

CrystalJones 1 year, 2 months ago

Love this guy's attitude and sense of humor. Seems like a player who likes people and can come in and be a leader! He and Combs are just two of Charlie's new guys who will lead us to the promised land.

KU Jayhawks...2013 Big XII Football Champs!

jartiv 1 year, 2 months ago

If he wants to be a D-1 linebacker, he better find better things to do when he's bored... like get a fake internet girlfriend.