KU football commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore not going anywhere

Class of 2013 linebacker Marcus Jenkins-Moore poses with KU linebackers coach Clint Bowen during a recent visit in California. by Matt Tait

Kansas University commitment Marcus Jenkins-Moore caused quite a stir late Wednesday afternoon, when he posted on both his Facebook page and his Twitter account that he had plans to take an official visit to Louisville.

Jenkins-Moore, one of the biggest KU supporters in the current recruiting class, hails from Louisville and the news spread quickly. Fans took to message boards and Twitter in search of answers, some going as far as to say their hearts dropped or that their days were ruined.

In the end, it all turned out to be much ado about nothing.

When reached by phone by the Journal-World, Jenkins-Moore said he was just “bored” and simply was “playin' around.”

Later, on the social media sites, he said he simply floated the fake message out there to see if KU fans would notice.

They did. And so did he.

Later, he returned to the popular sites to post the following soothing statements:

“I was just playin,” he wrote on Facebook. “It's Rock Chalk til the death of me!”

As for Twitter, the Pierce Community College linebacker was busy responding to numerous KU fans but also fit in the following: “Just playin around a lil bit! No worries ‪#Kansas ! There's only gonna be one hat present in 7 days! Cracked a joke on my ‪#KU family! Forgive me.”

Jenkins-Moore more is one of 15 players expected to sign national letters of intent next Wednesday, the first day of the regular football signing period.

Jenkins-Moore said he could not wait to make it official and that he had started a countdown for his arrival on campus.

As for his partner in crime, Pierce defensive tackle Marquel Combs, who was not believed to be in on the Twitter/Facebook prank, Jenkins-Moore said he thought Combs would be returning to Pierce for the spring semester to finish up classes that did not transfer and the two of them would report to Lawrence in June.

That was just his read on the situation, though, and by no means is official. Combs signed with KU in December and had planned to arrive on campus in time for the start of the spring semester but has not yet reported.

We'll keep an eye on that situation as well as Twitter, but don't expect any more jokes from Jenkins-Moore before next Wednesday.

Comments

Jim Erickson 1 year, 10 months ago

My response exactly... I suppose he is a very young guy and this is a "misdemeanour" in the world of public relations. Having been through KU myself, I may have done a thing or two worse than this. Hopefully it's only an indication of a minor lapse in judgement.

jartiv 1 year, 10 months ago

If he wants to be a D-1 linebacker, he better find better things to do when he's bored... like get a fake internet girlfriend.

cmania 1 year, 10 months ago

Deer antler spray apparently helps too.

qringer 1 year, 10 months ago

I tried that once...it attracted more goats, elk and moose than fake internet girlfriends.

CrystalJones 1 year, 10 months ago

Love this guy's attitude and sense of humor. Seems like a player who likes people and can come in and be a leader! He and Combs are just two of Charlie's new guys who will lead us to the promised land.

KU Jayhawks...2013 Big XII Football Champs!

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Get out the Super Glue. Someone cracked the Crystal.

danno1313 1 year, 10 months ago

I m thinking four wins would be a miracle.

Joey Meyer 1 year, 10 months ago

I like this guy already. Happy to have you on board Marcus!

April13 1 year, 10 months ago

If that isn't the ugliest building in America, it's got to be a close second. I can't imagine what some these recruits think when they arrive at KU and see the Anderson complex.

Bville Hawk 1 year, 10 months ago

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

LOL, but April is right about one thing: that building sure is ugly.

cmania 1 year, 10 months ago

Phoggy_Notion 1 year, 10 months ago

classic bville_hawk, no regard for the usage agreement!

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 10 months ago

So if a guy signs in the early JUCO signing period, but doesn't arrive for the spring semester, does that affect his commitment?

Matt Tait 1 year, 10 months ago

Nope. Once you're signed, you're signed. Still have to be eligible, though. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem but may have to wait until the summer. Tough break but not the end of the world.

Bob Forer 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't know whether to be pissed off or to laugh. But all is well, and am glad he is coming.

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, I was a little irked at first, but then I thought it sounds like the kind of thing a fun-loving kid would do to try to get a rise out of people, and it doesn't harm anyone. And he sure had some nice things to say about KU. So I for one don't have a problem with it.

Now on the other hand, if I were a Louisville fan ...

Matt Tait 1 year, 10 months ago

Ha! It very well may... But I'm a fan. The guy's great to talk to and should make a big-time impact.

ArgyleJayhawks 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm always a fan of recruits who troll the whole recruiting process. Enjoy the self-awareness.

Boouk 1 year, 10 months ago

While the misses on Josiah St. John and Reeve Koehler were disappointing, I think this staff has done a good job of holding onto all the verbal commitments, especially Bloomfield when he got the KSU offer and Isaiah Johnson when he got the TTU, Wisconsin, and Missouri offers.

I'm a little concerned about Combs though. He'll still be an impact player and one of the best players on our defense next season, but 5 more months with Holsopple and all the spring practices would be very beneficial. With Stowers, Tavai, Agostino, Holmes, McKinney, Goodman, Willis, Williams, Young, Chris Martin and Tedarian Johnson in Lawrence in the spring the DL could actually be a strength next year despite Combs and Bolton not arriving on campus until June.

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Not pillow-soft – more like a bolster. Something you can lean on.

cmania 1 year, 10 months ago

Matt, any word on other targets we might be able to land before next week?

Matt Tait 1 year, 10 months ago

Nothing specific, but I talked to Weis tonight at the women's game and he seemed hopeful for some good news. In fact, he had two cell phones sitting in front of him throughout the game so he could be sure to be reached.

I'll see what more I can find out in terms of actual targets.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

Lots of targets have commited elsewhere recently (Paul James, DE; Hunter Jarmon, WR; Durham Smythe, TE; Devin Lauderdale, Ath; Gaius Vaenuku, DT) ESPN still lists a few quality recruits that are on our radar

Toby Johnson, DT, 6'4'' 305 83 No Visit/5 Comp

Andrew Billings, #13 OG, 6'2'' 308 82 No Offer

Howard Wilder, CB, 5'11'' 185 79 No Visit/2 Comp

Michael Minter, #64 ATH, 6'1'' 175 79 No Offer

Jatavius Stewart, WR (JC), 5'11'' 180 79 No Visit/KSU Comp

Dwayne Johnson, #42 OT, 6'6'' 275 78 No Visit/4 Comp

Yannick Ngakoue, #30 ILB, 6'2'' 230 78 No Visit/4 Comp

Jared Dangerfield, WR (JC), 6'3'' 200 77 No Offer

Demetrius Hill, DE (JC), 6'3'' 255 76 No Visits

Duane Thompson, #91 RB, 5'7'' 175 75 No Offer/No Visits

Poet Thomas, #72 DT, 6'5'' 290 75 No Offer/3 Comp

Are the "No Offerss" a matter of grades?

BayPark 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, coming off a one win season--and still a long way to go--I don't see the humor. Also, the news that Combs hasn't reported yet is troubling.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

Disappointing, but not troubling (McKinney), and until he starts assualting people and staying home to take online classes, there really is no worries at all.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

Looking forward to seeing him play a big role in the big turnaround that's coming.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Marcus - I forgot to tell you - due to circumstances beyond my control we are going to have to switch your position to place-kicker. And you will need to be suited up as BigJay when you're not attempting extra points and field goals.

Coach Charlie. ( just playin around. no worries )

ParisHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

nuleafjhawk's userid was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

( just playin around. no worries )

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm gonna be pissed when this guy's supposed to report to campus and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is there instead. Another internet hoax...

Ethan Berger 1 year, 10 months ago

Think of what this guy has been through. The whole time, taking to a guy who then finds out he is not a girl. Then admits to Dr. Phil that he is gay errr he is confused. Tough break.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

yeah, my comment was in poor taste. I apologize.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 10 months ago

on the contrary, I found your comment great..

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

Ha!

You know what else is funny? 1-11.

It seems our football program is full of comedians.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Reuben- The KU football team has been a joke for the last 3 years, what do you expect?

Emery 1 year, 10 months ago

But not all coaches take the issue of decommitments personally. Former Georgia recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner told ESPN how little a commitment really means. In the end, a verbal commitment is nothing more than words coming out of a recruit's mouth, he said.

"Now, really, a commitment means nothing, it means absolutely nothing," said Garner, who is now the assistant head coach and defensive line coach at Auburn. "We can say what we want to -- 'We have X number of players committed.' But how many of them are actually committed? 'I am committed, but I am taking all five of my visits.' Is that really committed?

"Committed means, 'Hey, I like you and I am going to look around and if I don't find anything better, then, yeah, I am going to stay with you.'"

"It's a game, but politics do matter," Bellamy said simply.

Coaches get offended, fans get offended and every so often players get offended when a recruit decommits. In the end, though, the game of recruiting is like having a high school sweetheart. You go back and forth and weigh your options. Sometimes you get it right the first time, sometimes you don't. You're not truly committed until you sign your letter of intent. That marriage of athlete and university, as observed by the NCAA, is the only binding document that matters.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Matt-

Thanks for continuing the off-season coverage. I have a good feeling about this recruiting class for the most part. I'm still not sold on the fact that we have a strong enough receiving corps, but I do have a question for you. How strong is Kellen Ash's commitment since the departure of Demonte Cross? I assume he had a lot to do with Ash committing?

shelleysue 1 year, 10 months ago

Marcus. Haha! I love that you're playin'. But we won one game last year and the two years before that were a train wreck, so our hearts are pretty sensitive. Looking forward to you bringing it to the field this fall. I know all the Jayhawk fans appreciate you coming to Kansas to help turn things around. CAN'T WAIT!! Rock Chalk all the way.