My post-camp KU football depth chart projection

Kansas running back Darrian Miller (6) weaves through some pads as he works out with the running backs and fullbacks during the first day of football practice on Thursday, Aug. 8, 2013. Nick Krug/Journal-World Photo by Nick Krug

As hard as it is to believe it's already here, the Kansas University football program's fall camp wrapped up Friday and the Jayhawks are now headed into full preparation mode for the 2013 season.

What that entails are two different weeks of preparation for Week 1, Sept. 7 vs. South Dakota at Memorial Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.

The first week, Sunday through Friday, will be what KU coach Charlie Weis called “a dress rehearsal.” The Jayhawks will go through the entire week as if they were playing a game on Saturday. That way, the newcomers will get a feel for what it's like and the veterans will get a quick refresher. The goal is that both will dial up their focus that little bit extra.

After that it will actually be game week. Most of the college football world opens next weekend, but the Jayhawks have an opening-week bye this year. Their other bye is in late September between the non-conference and Big 12 portions of their schedule, but, if you ask me, they got lucky having the first week off. It gives Weis and his staff just a little more time to get all of these new faces ready for what's ahead.

With that in mind, I figured now was as good a time as any to throw up my best guess at the post-camp, two-deep depth chart for this year's Jayhawks. I was out at practice whenever they allowed us to be this month, which proved to be a very helpful tool in predicting the depth chart. In addition to seeing the players live and up close, I also saw two full practices, which gave me a better look at who was competing where, who was playing hardest and how the reps were divided up.

I'm sure some of this is incorrect, but, based on what I've seen and been able to gather from talking with the players and coaches, here's how I see things shaping up two weeks away from the season opener.

Weis will release the real version on Sept. 3, which, if how fast August flew by is any indication, will be here before we know it.

– OFFENSE –

KOR
Brandon Bourbon
Taylor Cox

PR
Kevin Short
Tre' Parmalee

Just a couple of quick notes explaining some of my thinking:

• Weis said on Friday that Combs was not yet a starter, that's why I put him second team on the inside.

• I didn't see a ton of kick return drills during the past few weeks and Weis said they're still looking over things there, so those guesses may be way off.

• Sendish at nickel is the preferred position for him, but if they needed to I don't think the staff would hesitate to slide him in at safety.

• Assistant DBs coach Scott Vestal told me recently that Brandon Hollomon was gonna play a lot and that he's one of the top flat-out competitors on the roster.

• Cummings gets the nod over Cozart behind Heaps because we heard he had a solid camp and he has the experience edge. But Weis raved about Cozart during his press conference on Friday so he may still be in the mix in some way, shape or form.

• Even though I've got Faifili ahead of Love at Will LB, I think both will play a ton.

• So many of these positions have solid rotations in place, particularly on defense, which is good considering Dave Campo recently said that, when you're facing offenses that play 90-plus snaps in a single game, you can't just play two corners or two linebackers the whole game, you've gotta have depth. And it looks like KU has more of it now than at any point during the past three or four seasons.

;

Comments

Jim Stauffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I really think the D-Line will be improved on two fronts. Better conditioning for all involved and having a true two deep to keep fresh bodies on the field.

I really think the key to keeping up with the Big 12 offenses is just hurrying the QB anyway, since most of them throw in under 3 secs. Then the most important part of our pass defense will be the LB's and secondary staying in touch with the receivers so they are not able to throw immediately to some guy who is 5 yards clear of a defender.

Adam McEwen 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Seeing a lot of posts showing concerns about the lack of fresh faces on the D-Line, but with the reported gains in the weight room that may not be as big a concern as one might think. Strength makes a huge difference on the lines, and let's face it, the Gill administration didn't do much in that department to prepare these guys for last season. I think we've got a team that is going to surprise some people a win some ball games.

JHWKDW 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Do you see alot of playing time for Pierson?

Doug Cramer 8 months ago

Matt - I think you're right about keeping our expectations in CHECK. My prediction is 3-9...based on the fact that our defense will once again struggle to pressure opposing QBs. A decent improvement on offense could get us a couple more victories than we had last year. If for some reason we end up with the best offense in the Big 12...that would be a bonus...and we could possibly outscore some teams. But thats asking a lot from your offense to be nearly flawless.

chickensandwich 8 months ago

Hey Matt, Any word on Pearce Slater?

pizzashuttle 8 months ago

Matt, at the press conference the other day Weis asked one of the reporters who the starting kicker was going to be. Did Weis ask you that question? If so it's a nice back handled compliment about how well you know the team.

ottomark 8 months ago

Matt, Thanks for this. I'm a little concerned by your seeming optimism that we'll escape position 12 in the Big 12. Is my concern unfounded?

jayhawk5125 8 months ago

Honestly, if Bolton isn't full go, I would rather him go through some rehab and get his body right from the S&C staff. He didn't get the best rehab down at CC in Mississippi you can bet on that.

jayhawk5125 8 months ago

Man I really wish Cox would redshirt. I understand he wants to play this year, (no doubt he can.) But he could be the guy next year with Miller, Pierson and Bourbon.

Holloman I like to see in the lineup. He has four year to play three. Just like Johnson is. It's nice quite a few of these JUCO guys will be here beyond 2014. (MJM, Holloman, Bolton, Johnson)

EdwordL 8 months ago

Matt: Could you give us a percentage wheel on when you might next discuss conference realignment? I know that the GOR for Big XII and ACC has really slowed down the speculation and likelihood of changes. Reporting on likelihood of the rumored D4 being comprised of 60 or 64 teams all the way to 80 teams would be welcome. Thanks.

Doug Cramer 8 months ago

Not a single new dude starting on the D-line...including Quel. This is very dissapointing. Matt - Is Quel not what he was hyped up to be ? ? ? Gonna be another long season watching our D get rolled.

Pbbut 8 months ago

Interesting to see Peters in your 2-deep, I'm guessing that he's made solid progress or we wouldn't see him in that spot. We've hardly heard a word about him since the day he committed, but I recall he got a lot of praise from his HS coach who had sent quite a few kids to D-I.
I hope I'm wrong, but the unit that causes my greatest concern in looking at your projections is the D- Line. It's been nine months since we've seen them, so we'll see what coaching has done, but the history on this group is they haven't played in the Big 12 at all or they haven't consistently performed at a Big 12 level.

jhawkrulz 8 months ago

This might be after Weis releases the actual depth chart, but Weis said there would be some jucos redshirting...might be interesting to see who it ends up being.

Steve Corder 8 months ago

Matt, since I admit I don't recall all the juco transfers, could you indicate eligibility year and if they are transfers on your next depth chart?

Dirk Medema 8 months ago

Holloman is just a soph if I remember correctly. Very encouraging for the future.

Sounds like a strong 2 deep at the corners. Still wondering a little about safeties. Hope those returners have developed.

Just noticing that there are many new guys on the DL. Hmmm.

tinytimhawk 8 months ago

2 questions:

1) Is there any possibility, in spite of his usual straight-shooting, that Weis mentioned Combs as not a starter as a bit of an attempt to really fire him up? Or does this say more about how much better Keon Stowers has become?

and the real important question:

2) Is there any kind of uniform reveal planned? Or are we just gonna have to see them as they roll them out each game?

Thanks for all you do Matt! Loved hearing about the Hawks all summer long!

300milestoGoodland 8 months ago

when is the next chat session? Schools in session. Get on it TAIT!

BayPark 8 months ago

Just looking at the depth chart, I think the strategy of signing so many junior college transfers is already a success. At the very least, they're better than what we would have had otherwise. It isn't a stretch to believe that we could be markedly better as a team. My concern, though, and the reason I still think we'll struggle to win in the Big-12 this year, is that there are so many new faces with zero experience playing D-1 football.

Janet Scott 8 months ago

Matt, as you projected only 2 deep, does that mean all who are 3,4,5 deep are automatically in Charlie's "pile of crap" group? Just wonder'in.

coachrc 8 months ago

Thanks Matt! Awesome job!

Mike Nicco 8 months ago

Hi Matt, I thought camp started a week later than everybody else because KU plays a week later. I believe there is a limit to the amount of practices before the first game.

Thanks for feeding my KU football hunger every day. Wish I had your job...