Realignment Today: What's the status with Conference Realignment Round 3 and how does it affect KU and the Big 12?

2:57 p.m. Update:

OK, so during today's KU football chat and, really, most of the day on Twitter, people were clamoring for a percentage wheel of some kind. I didn't really think I had a great one regarding this topic yet, but I can give you something. Here goes: Percentage chance predicting the time of realignment drama we'll have this summer...

1. Steady Eddie. There will be some action, but it won't take over our souls - 60%
  2. Def-Con 5. Fast and furious, yet again - 21%
  3. Other. You never know, you know? - 13%
  4. None. Everything will remain calm and quiet - 6%

Stay tuned...

Original Post, 10:28 a.m.

Tomorrow marks the two-year anniversary of the first conference realignment blog I ever wrote for this web site. In some ways it seems like a decade ago and in others it seems like just yesterday.

The question on everyone’s mind today, though, is will future realignment blogs be a part of tomorrow?

Good question.

Since penning that first realignment blog — which wrapped with this: “I do know this; change is coming, and, although it might be tough to accept at first, it could be in KU’s best interest.” — I wrote more than 25 others and received well over a million page views on all of it combined. That’s just incredible and it speaks to the passion and devotion you all have for your KU sports.

During the past couple of weeks, as the Big 12 Conference replaced interim commissioner Chuck Neinas with new boss Bob Bowlsby and rumors of Realignment Round 3 began to surface, I found myself questioning whether we’d be going through something like that again this summer. My gut tells me no, but my mind tells me to stay on high alert. I will.

If any realignment type issues come up this summer, I don’t expect they will reach the levels we saw during the past two summers, when the country’s most powerful conferences made major moves and threatened to make more while bringing college athletics to the brink of complete chaos and restructuring.

The Big East, with its interim commissioner and a larger but less impressive membership roster, appears to be the most vulnerable conference to further poaching. The Big 12 once occupied that spot, but the conference now appears to be on stable ground with Bowlsby in the front office and new TV deals bringing the promise of bookoo bucks. The league is close to reaching an official extension with ESPN that would run for 13 years and be worth $1.3 billion.

Beyond that, I can’t see any of the 10 Big 12 schools wanting out. I suppose there’s a chance that the ever-wandering eyes of Texas and Oklahoma could stray once again, but those schools seem happy with the Big 12’s current direction and the league now has language in place that makes it much tougher to get out the way Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M did during the past two years. Besides that, once the new TV deals become official, the granting of rights pledge will increase from its current mark of six years to 13 years, a strong sign of each school’s commitment to the league. After all, the granting of right locks the schools to the league because if any school were to leave it would not take with it complete control of its media rights.

If anything, the Big 12 may go on the offensive and look to expand its membership back to 12 teams or perhaps even more. That’s been the hottest rumor of late, with Clemson and Florida State taking the lead. If there’s any truth at all to those rumors, which I’m still trying to decipher, then it’s clear that the ACC is in a precarious position, as well.

Here are a couple of links that cover the topic of FSU and Clemson to the Big 12:

One thing that continues to force me to scratch my head is how, or perhaps why, Louisville has fallen off the map? Remember, not long ago, Louisville was deemed by most as the next most likely candidate to join the Big 12 after TCU and West Virginia were added last fall. Heck, Louisville nearly jumped in line ahead of West Virginia.

I’m not saying it’s a sure thing that Louisville is going to join the Big 12. But I’d give the Cardinals as much of a shot as Clemson or Florida State. In fact, I think you could make as strong a case for Rutgers (think New York market) and Louisville to be the Big 12’s 11th and 12th teams as you could for Clemson and FSU.

For one, the Big East is in peril and even though it continues to point toward “a bright future,” some of the teams it’s adding simply are not that attractive. Two, with the BCS set to undergo major changes and the concept of automatic-qualifiers hanging in the balance, some of those schools that looked at joining the Big East for the easier road to BCS gold might elect to back out while there’s still time. The most obvious example of that would be Boise State.

I’ve been told all along and over and over that the Big 12 is content with 10 teams and does not see any reason to expand, therein spreading the television revenue thinner. So until I hear otherwise, I’m going to stick with that. Sources continue to say that the league is happy with its current membership, but there is the belief that if the right teams came along and were interested the Big 12 would consider expansion.

Either way, with new leadership in place and the league determined to never again go through what it went through these past two summers, it only makes sense that the Big 12 would look into being more proactive this time around — just in case.

Many out there, including the blog below, are convinced that the league will add at least two more teams sometime this summer. I can’t say that would surprise me. Then again, after what I’ve seen and heard during the past two years, nothing would surprise me when it comes to conference realignment.

Stay tuned...

And while you do, here are a couple of quick-hitters that I’ll continue to be tracking as we head into the summer.

• The Big 12 spring meetings will begin May 30 in Kansas City, Mo. These meetings were hot during the past two summers and it’s possible — extremely likely, even — that the topic of expansion will be kicked around quite a bit during the meetings. I’ll be over there.

• The contract of acting commissioner Chuck Neinas expires on June 30.

• TCU and West Virginia officially will be added to the conference in July. • Why would ACC schools Clemson and FSU be interested in joining the Big 12? As was the case in 2011, the ACC’s football schools are rumored to be tired of the conference catering to basketball powers North Carolina and Duke and adding hoops schools Syracuse and Pitt.

• BYU is not dead in all of this. Neither is Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame.

• As it stands today, Florida State is the key piece in all of this expansion talk and the Seminoles will have to be the ones who come calling. The Big 12 will not go to them. Similarly, Clemson will not even look west without knowing that Florida State is doing the same. I’ve heard that FSU wants in but wants the Big 12 to expand to 14 and would like the conference to consider adding Miami, Georgia Tech and possibly others instead of the Big East bunch.

;

Comments

JHWKDW 1 year, 11 months ago

All the SEC talk got me thinking the schools I think the SEC will probably try to get is North Carolina and Virginia next!Everyone keeps saying Virginia Tech, but Virginia is way more attractive overall in sports and academics!Virginia Tech is a 1 trick show in terms of athletics Football!Virginia has had some good football teams but also is good at Baseball and Basketball!I know some people would think I am crazy for saying NC, but I think they want to be more than a Basketball school!The Baseball team has looked very good for a while,in addition they have been trying to improve their football program!I think they are tired of Tyrant Roy Williams and just Mens Basketball!They have made efforts to improve alot of their sports much to the contempt of ol' Roy!And the SEC wants access to the North Carolina market!They already have SC!Also the SEC wants the Virginia market so that is the SECs I think teams they want!

LogicMan 1 year, 11 months ago

Where's Tait? Maybe interviewing some Clemson, GaTech, Miami, etc. officials? :-)

Adam Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

No link, however, in the Greensboro (nc) paper this morning, there was an article talking about FSU and how furious they are with the ACC (especially after the change in the ESPN deal with 3rd tier games rights being lost in football but not basketball). Basically saying that they feel that the ACC doesn't care about anything outside of basketball in North Carolina. They want out. The article also mentions that they may be approaching the big XII soon to begin talks. Pretty interesting. If I can get the digital link (saw the actual print article) i will post this evening.

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

Nothing earth shattering that the links Logic and steve above didnt at least touch on. Just more to chew on.

Id mention I dont think VaTech will go to the Big 12 with hopes of going SEC. That said, despite what Dodds wrote here I cant envision VaTech leaving regardless of what FSU (or others) decide to do. There is TONS of politics involved her with UVA and VaTech. VaTech shot its wad for YEARS trying to get in the ACC and it took UVA finally acceding and having them come in.

The FSU idea has some merit simply because the BOT threw it out there the way he has. It's clear there's a large disenchanted group of folks out there (aTm and Mizzou anyone?). What it means only time will tell.

I just hope Bowlsby plays this right. My hunch is he will. Get FSU, another Southern ACC school (Clemson, GaTech, Miami) and tell Notre Dame if they join they can pick the rest of the schools out of a golden dome.

Just wait until the egos of ND, UT, FSU are running amok !!! DRAMA !!!

Yllyrryon 1 year, 11 months ago

What about Virginia Tech? What has been their position throughout the two previous rounds of realignment? Is there any chance that they may have an interest in joining the Big 12?

Take the present ten members of our league and add Florida State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, and Notre Dame.

And please throw out the name, "Big 12", if we stay at ten or move up to fourteen. SCC, for "South Central Conference" is still my favorite.

JHWKDW 1 year, 11 months ago

The Big Least has the same problem the Big 12 has, a pain in the rear of a team that holds it back and causes teams to want to leave!The Big least is Notre Dame,ask U Conn about that or Miami, V Tech, Pitt, and Syracuse!Ours is the Texas Longhorn Jerks!Texas will cause more and more resentment between their arrogance and Longhorn Network!Hey K Bohls the U of Texas insider and reporter said Texas does not want expansion!If that is the case like I said in Keegans post it is time for KU and the rest of the remaining teams of the Big 12 to tell Texas Adios!I think Nebraska,Missouri,Colorado,and Texas A&M had the right Idea!

That Bohls guy had concern when the Pac-12 told Texas to stick it they are not interested he had info the Pac-12 would take KU and K-State how awesome would it be to go there and leave Texas in the dust!I do not even care about the penalties so be it as long as we are away from the Longhorns they destroyed the SWC they have and will destroy this conference its time to leave folks!

Jim Jackson 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow the chairman of the board of trustees officially stating his dissatisfaction over the new ACC TV deal, and openly voicing his support for an exploration of joining the Big 12.

Realignment round 3 has officially begun.

Tait, you now have a real story on your hands.

Bear86 1 year, 11 months ago

Please kick Texas out of the conference. There would not have been re-alignment if it wasn't for them and their stool puppet Beebe. F-Texas !!!!!!!!!!

83jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Deloss Dodds just said today in the Dallas Morning News that FSU and Clemson to Big 12 is totally false and nothing to it at all.

But the bigger news was that the Big 12 is now very very close to signing the 13 year contract with ESPN and that every team would grant their TV rights for 13 years. Thus the Big 12 is good to go for 13 years with total stability.

I don't think we see expansion in the Big 12 anytime soon. With all teams committed for 13 years at $20MM a peice there is no threat and no need to expand unless the expansion would result in greater dollars per team. The instability deal is off the table with the 13 year committment by each team in the league.

ltownatrain 1 year, 11 months ago

So FSU said today that they are fully committed to the ACC.....So the big question is are they truthful or are they like misery who said the same thing last summer about the big 12 only to jump.

jgkojak 1 year, 11 months ago

One thing to note is how much BETTER a position KU/B-12 is this go around- the Big East and the ACC are on the chopping block much more than the B12 - which seems fairly secure as Conf #4.

The ideal outcome: B12 EAST: Notre Dame, Louisville, West Virginia, Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Pitt, TCU

B12WEST: KU, KSU, OU, OSU, ISU, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor

Janet Scott 1 year, 11 months ago

The first order of business for new Big 12 boss Bowlsby: travel to Lincoln and kick Dr. Tommy O hard in the butt for 1) leaving the Big 12; and 2) for costing KU $6 million with his Turner Gill hire recommendation to Lord Lew of Lawrence (Perkins), who fell for it.

Does Bowlsby know Washburn and Baker would die to join the Big 12?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 11 months ago

Notre Dame and Rutgers #11 and #12. Then when the rest decide they need to get to 16, 4 teams from the ACC go to the Big XII, ACC, and Big Ten.

The PAC 12 picks up some to get to 16 and the Big East picks up 13 more teams to get up to the BE34.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't see us doing anything. We need to wait and see what happens in the future bowls+ playoff scenario. We could end up with the best position being where we are. Although I like the possibility of getting a cluster of East Teams as mentioned above, Ga Tech, Miami, CLemson, FSU? That would be worth exploring. But just because we can doesn't mean it is a smart move.

manginorh00lz 1 year, 11 months ago

DEFCON 5 is actually the lowest level of alertness.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 11 months ago

Gotta remember, the magic number is 12 for a Big 12 champsionship game.

I think BYU and Louisville are VERY much in play here.

jgkojak 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't forget about Pitt. They are WV's "travel partner" and have a huge rivalry - their football game alone is worth regional $$. I could see, if Louisville, FSU and Clemson are added, that Pitt would be enticed over to the B12 and really have no worse travel than they would in the ACC.

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

I just dont see Notre Dame doing anything but possibly lifting their skirt. They hold so much power and its been years since they've really began to exploit it. For all of those complaining about the concept of taking ONLY Notre Dame's other sports (not football), thats likely the ONLY way of luring them in. And even then this strikes me as a long shot.

That said, if I were the Big 12 folks I'd almost tell Notre Dame they can damn near hand pick who else they want to join. To much leverage for ND? Yup. But they'll only go to the place will accede power to them. And my guess is the Big 12 is behind the Big 10 and the ACC on the list of places they'd like to go -- all else being equal.

The question is then is the Tier 3 rights thing a game changer for them? Because thats really the biggest "sell" the Big 12 has going right now. That and letting them pick who 'joins'. Does that mean leaving out a logical Louisville school? Could be. Would we care (or anyone care) if the Big 12 got ND? Uhm no.

I only see the FSU / Clemson thing if there's more to it... if not much more. But the reality is if some how Notre Dame was in the fold, all these other speculated schools would'nt just be on notice... they'd be lining up.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 11 months ago

People are talking about ND but I really think that is a long shot. Sure, there is specualtion of us taking them for all sports not football (which sucks) but they are far more likely to join the Big 10 due to geography and existing relationships.

After looking at the numbers, which states schools could make about 4-6 million more by joining our league, it seems as though it would be a shocking if we didn't have 2 more teams announced by the end of June, after the BCS/ Big 12 meetings commence.

Really hoping Rutgers is one of those teams; we could use another AAU school in the league.

DrGraydog 1 year, 11 months ago

another opinion....for what its worth

I like the idea of Florida State and Clemson as teams 11 and 12. It seems to me the Big 12 kinda sorta promised Louisville a slot when West Virginia and TCU joined. So, Louisville is 13 and I am really warming up to the thought of Rutgers as #14.

Georgia Tech could be a stretch, I have heard nothing about them being willing to move, probably more of a B1G target. Miami would be a net zero - very limited appeal outside the area.

Notre Dame would be a major coup, but they dont want their football independence.

Maryland would be an intersting addition at #15 and another as yet unnamed ACC school to finish at #16.

Now is the time to aggresively work at expanding to 16 teams while they are available and not settle for left overs from the SEC or B1G.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm sorry, but if the Big XII gets Notre Dame, we would get the pick of the litter for the next 1 to 5 schools.

The thing that makes me comfortable about conference realignment now, is that it will go to 64 teams, KU sits at about 57-61, the question was always whether the Big Ten would go to 16, they would almost have to, else the ACC would catch up to them, sweeping up some other schools. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pac12 fade, because who can stay up and watch games at Midnight.

Also, conference realignment would actually be good right now, because whether or not we are good, Charlie Weis has made KU football something to talk about (including nationally). If conference realignment happened right now, people would actually think about grabbing KU and its basketball program.

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

I still like the idea of Louisville. Not as much as FSU or Clemson mind you. But not sure why their dropping off the list the way they are.

What DOES help now is the 13 year of rights signed over to the conference. We're all in now. As is everyone else for the foreseeable future. And if the money is far greater than they can get elsewhere -- and it is --- its worth FSU and Clemson to at least look and talk with Bowlsby.

I can say the southern ACC schools do get sick and tired of the "Tobacco Road" schools (Duke, UNC, Wake, NCState) dictating what goes on much of the time. Not unlike folks here with Texas big #@$. So thats there, and real. Enough to make that big of jump? Maybe, maybe not.

Since its all in fun...

Big 12 South - Clemson, FSU, Miami, GaTech Big 12 North - Louisville, WVU, Iowa St, Notre Dame Big 12 Midwest - OU, OSU, KSU, KU Big 12 Southwest - Texas, TxTech, Baylor, TCU

Pipe dream? Probably. But I dont think we get FSU or Clemson unless we give them more meat regional. Some form of GaTech, Miami, Maryland might do that.

LogicMan 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's hope the good people of FSU do give us a close look.

Athletically, culturally, and academically, we're a good fit, unlike with many in your current band. The big, bad SEC should have joined with you, but have repeatedly left you alone looking out from the door. Unlike them, our intentions are pure and our word is good. The strong, friendly hands of the Plains are extended your way, proud Seminoles of the Panhandle.

JhawkalumJB 1 year, 11 months ago

My personal feelings are that the BIG12 needs to be proactive and decide its future course of action... before we are forced to scramble and react to other conferences. We have had the appearance of the weaker and unstable conference because of our lack of leadership and direction. Compose a 1, 2, 5, and 10 year plans. Implement your plan. Make things happen. Create a sound environment for the schools that are in now and a conference that other teams would want to join. Have a vision of what we are and what we want to become.

Or do nothing, wait and see what everyone else does, stand around and then be forced to make short sighted decisions to just stay afloat. Yea, that will work out great... Being reactionary in this whole conference thing IS unstable, weak, and does not establish a sound foundation for the future.

I think that we should add two more teams this summer. All this wait and see reactionary approach is short sighted, and will lead to us looking stupid and fragile again.

I can only hope that our new leader has a vision of proactive strategies in the future. Our former leadership left us in a real fix.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 11 months ago

This is about money.

Yes, academics plays a role but if the opportunity to make almost 4 million more a year presents itself, FSU will be taking a long look at the Big 12, that much we know.

If things fall through with the ACC schools, I would love to see us take grab Lousville, BYU or Rutgers. Rutgers has AAU status and the NY/ NJ market.

I do not wish to see Cincy in our conference.

Also, we need 12 teams to get a conference championshio game so I am going to assume that we will be looking to add only 2 more teams.

billhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Living in Florida I can say that getting FSU (and Clemson) would be a great addition. FSU is considered a good school with very good athletics. (Florida is the educational powerhouse in the state - not FSU). Miami could potentially be a good addition, but right now I don't see a lot of passionate fan support for Miami. Traditionally they've been good, but not much lately. Georgia Tech might be a better option than Miami.

I like the idea of an East - (mid) West conference championship and rivalries.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 11 months ago

I love it Matt!! What started out as a very slow KU sports week (only two football articles) is now red hot again. I would love to see FSU and Clemson in the Big XII. More than either of them, I would love to see ND, but I'm not holding out too much hope for that.

Whatever happens, I always check here first. You are the best at this, Mr. Tait. Keep it coming.

bradh 1 year, 11 months ago

I was looking at a couple of forums today that were discussing Big 12 expansion and a couple quoted or linked Mr. Tait. He's the man on conference realignment, whether he wants to be or not.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

Ideally, assuming ND is out of the picture is to add FSU, Ga Tech, Clemson and Maryland. That gets you to 14, add the following large media markets: DC-Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville. You also get a traditional power in Clemson. You keep a slot open for ND and someone else to get to 16.

Conference Championship game played each year in Dallas generates additional revenue. That would be a dream scenario. Hard to see that happening and I am not sure how strong the academic argument keeps these schools in a better academic conference. Collectively, they elevate the academic profile of the Big 12 which is now the worst of all of the Top 5 conferences which I do find marginally troubling.

ltownatrain 1 year, 11 months ago

All the talk I have seen on other sites actually has the Big 12's list as containing Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Notre Dame (long shot) so I wonder why Miami is suddenly coming into play? Especially given that Maryland would be a better school overall when it comes to media market I would imagine, not to mention they bring less controversy with them (outside of those uniforms that is).

whitechocolate 1 year, 11 months ago

The Big 12 is now the hunter. We don't have to settle for schools we don't want. Nothing against Louisville or Cincy or Rutgers, but if FSU wants to join and take Clemson, Miami and Georgia Tech with them, I can see the appeal.

That leaves us at 14. And it wouldn't stop there, because we would be responsible for destroying the ACC. SEC & B1G picks apart the rest of the conference and we need two more to hit midnight on the doomsday clock.

SeaJHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Matt what are your thoughts on "bookoo" vs. beaucoup? Thanks for your great articles!!

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 11 months ago

I do think the new BCS Final Four Format will promote the growth of 4 Super Conferences. If they go to the 'Champion' version even more so. It will open the door to a 16-team B1G, 16-team SEC, 16-teamBig12 and a 12-team PAC12. The ACC and Big East will go back to being basketball conferences and playing in minor bowel games. The big questions are Who is IN? and Who is OUT?

The PAC would expand if there were anyschools west of the Rockies that were decent and not ending in 'BYU' or previously a Junior College.

Toto_the_great 1 year, 11 months ago

With 1,000,000 page views, I might have missed this question if it was asked, but how does this whole realignment affect my pocketbook? Follow me... the increased TV deals mean that companies (Pepsi, Bud, Hardees) will have to pay more for commercials, right? If not, TV companies could loose money, which doesn't seem likely. So if my favorites have to pay more for a commercial, then they are going to charge more for their products, right? Pepsi, Bud, and Hardees don't want to loose money. Am I crazy to assume this?

Steve Hillyer 1 year, 11 months ago

initially I was very skeptical about this FSU rumor but I'm stsarting to wonder if there isn't something to it, I also wonder if the delay in finaiizing the B12/ESPN deal is that expansion may be occurring soon. I've never been sold on Louisville, I don't think they add much value to a conference especially in fb, is the addition of UL going to increase ESPN's and Fox's payout to the B12, I doubt it. From what I understand UL's following is not very significant outside of Louisville and the city itself is split between UK and UL. I also don't think it is a good cultural fit, it is mostly a commuter school with a terrible academic rating. ND and BYU are the only unattached schools worth going after and I just don't see the B12 being able to poach someone from one of the power conferences.

BPSkelly 1 year, 11 months ago

It's hard to know whats rumor created by the umpteen "experts" (anyone with a blog) or rumor that is sourced legitimately. That line maybe pretty thin to begin with, so hard to know for sure.

My guess is if there is a lot of smoke out there (im looking at you FSU) there has to be some fire. Does it mean anything substantial at this point? Uhm, no. Could it? @#% yea. Im not sure what to make of it to be honest. Why would Clemson and FSU want to be out on an island geographically? If you hauled in more schools (FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami, Maryland are the ACC schools talked about) and were willing to go to 16 (4 pods of 4 teams) to create an "Big 16 South" or something it might make sense. But I dont see the logic of FSU and Clemson coming with the structure there is now. I just dont.

Of course, as we've seen $$$ rules the day. If the financial differential is so vast that the schools are foolish not to look at it, then its hard to not see more movement. We'll see.

Im still a believer that they will stick to the "unless it grows the pie" idea they arent going to just be plucking teams --- something that will be the Big East's demise.

Im good at 10 unless we bump up to 16 with seismic shifts taking place -- Notre Dame included.

As always Matt, great stuff and great links.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

I missed the conference realignment discussions. I have a couple of observations:

1. The new BCS format almost seems to beg for the formation of FOUR superconferences. You could almost see conference championships be the Elite 8 of College Football with the four conference winners advancing to the BCS championship games. Does that force Notre Dame to join a conference?

2. The new TV contracts put the Big 12 in the same territory as the PAC 12 and Big 10. I would guess that the SEC will get somewhere around $5M per school more when they renegotiate. The Big 12 has advantages to get additional revenue these other conference do not have and that is to expand and have a conference championship game.

3. As for expansion candidates, it would seem the Big 12 would need to increase its Eastern footprint and going after some of the ACC teams, who can't be pleased with their new TV contract, makes sense to me. I was never a fan of addition TCU, who now has a drug scandal, and I'm not sure Louisville helps the conference.

4. Let's say there is a mad scramble and Notre Dame joins a conference like the Big 10. Does the signing away of TV rights prevent KU from ever going to the Big 10 should they decide they need to further expand?

madamhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I need a percentage wheel on this info!

R2D2 1 year, 11 months ago

Big 12 gets more money if we add more teams. ACC was able to get more money per school, even with the addition of Pitt and 'Cuse so we will not be diluting the money pool. Just not enough room in the new era of BCS for 5 power conferences and football schools like FSU & Clemson will want to be a part of the festivites. Big 12 needs to get to a playoff again to have a chance to consistantly get represented in the new playoff system. The ACC admittedly and by the looks of their newest ESPN deal are stil focusing on basketball as their exposure for basketball with the new deal is much greater. ACC football is being relegated to playing friday night football which is another problem with football schools. One thing I think you can count on is that their will be more expansion this summer and it will be centered around the Big 12 as the conference will no longer sit back and watch as we have done the past two years!

Kyle Rohde 1 year, 11 months ago

Soren Petro had a guy on the other day that has covered the SEC/ACC for 20+ years, and his feelings on Florida State were very clear. Academics are a much bigger deal in these decisions than fans know or will admit, and that there's not a chance in hell Florida State would leave the ACC for the Big XII. The ACC is, by far, the best academic conference of the BCS ones, with fantastic schools like Duke, UNC, Wake, Virginia, etc. and Florida State has no interest in being associated with Texas Tech, OSU, KSU, etc. Using the US News college rankings, the ACC has an average ranking of around 44 in the country; the Big XII is 100+. Beyond that, it makes zero sense geographically or culturally - "hey fans, forget driving to Miami or North Carolina; get excited for AMES, IOWA!" I can't imagine a scenario where the Big XII gets Florida State.

I agree with you, Matt, in that it's idiotic for the Big XII to be dismissing Louisville, apparently. The TV ratings show that it's consistently the BEST college sports market in the country; it's a good geographic and cultural fit, and would raise the stature of the basketball in the Big XII even more. Louisville should absolutely be the 11th school, IMO, along with BYU and someone else.

The someone else is the tough part but I like the Rutgers idea.