My last stab at predicting the depth chart

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist pulls his offense together in the huddle during the second half of the Spring Game on Saturday, April 28, 2012 at Kivisto Field. by Nick Krug

Sometime around 2 p.m. Wednesday, Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis will hand out his first updated depth chart since before spring practice and, as Weis has promised, a lot of the names written on it figure to be different.

Throughout the offseason — from Weis being hired to Dayne Crist committing to the spring game in April — I’ve done my best to track the movement that I believed would help shape KU’s initial fall depth chart, from first-string guys all the way down to the players who will back them up.

I took my first shot at it back in early June, and I’m happy to report that I’m sticking with a lot of what I wrote on that one. But here we are, one day away from the end of the offseason, and that means I get one last chance at predicting what KU’s depth chart will look like for the Sept. 1 season opener.

I could pass. I could say there are too many new players and there has been too much movement for me to make an informed guess. But it’s my job to be informed. Besides, what’s the fun in passing?

So here it goes, one more stab at it before players report to camp on Wednesday and practice begins on Thursday.

It’s football season, folks!

Offense
WR Kale Pick (Sr.) Josh Ford (Jr.)
WR Daymond Patterson (Sr.) JaCorey Shepherd (Soph.)
WR D.J. Beshears (Sr.) Christian Matthews (Jr.)
LT Tanner Hawkinson (Sr.) Riley Spencer (Jr.)
LG Duane Zlatnik (Sr.) Damon Martin (RSFr.)
C Trevor Marrongelli (Sr.) Dylan Admire (RSFr.)
RG Gavin Howard (Jr.) Randall Dent (Jr.)
RT Aslam Sterling (Jr.) Pat Lewandowski (Soph.)
TE Mike Ragone (Sr.) Charles Brooks (Jr.)
QB Dayne Crist (Sr.) Turner Baty (Soph.)
HB Tony Pierson (Soph.) Brandon Bourbon (Soph.)

Defense
DE Josh Williams (Sr.) Keba Agostinho (Jr.)
DT Jordan Tavai (Jr.) John Williams (Jr.)
NT Ty McKinney (Jr.) Keon Stowers (Jr.)
DE Michael Reynolds (Soph.) Ben Goodman (RSFr.)
SLB Toben Opurum (Sr.) Tunde Bakare (Sr.)
MLB Schyler Miles (Fr.) Anthony McDonald (Sr.)
WLB Huldon Tharp (Jr.) Ben Heeney (Soph.)
CB Greg Brown (Sr.) Nas Moore (Jr.)
CB Tyler Patmon (Jr.) Greg Allen (Fr.)
SS Lubbock Smith (Sr.) Tevin Shaw (Fr.)
FS Bradley McDougald (Sr.) Victor Simmons (Soph.)

Special Teams
K Ron Doherty (Jr.) Austin Barone (Fr.)
P Ron Doherty (Jr.)
KR D.J. Beshears (Sr.) Bradley McDougald (Sr.)
PR Daymond Patterson (Sr.) D.J. Beshears (Sr.)

;

Comments

Lucas Town 1 year, 8 months ago

So many of the names are from the past couple of years and we have been labeled as being very far behind talent wise. Hopefully a change in philosophy will get things kick started.

number1jayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Two deep this year is much better than the past. Only thing worries me is injuries at QB and on the OL.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Same story as Kande, somewhat, for Marquis Jackson. 4-star athlete without a position. Hard to believe a program with such problems keeping up with the Jones' in recruiting battles has two 4-star prospects buried on the depth chart. Perhaps Jackson will red shirt this year if BB, Pierson, Sims and Cox all stay healthy. I saw him in that spring game and I don't want to waste him.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Matt, in another article you have Cummings in the backup QB slot. Does this mean you think Baty will beat him out during camp, or do you think he's already surpassed Cummings?

Man! Now Kande is off the two deep at LB too? There has to be a story here. I expected the 4-star guy to be a standout safety by year two. Now he's just fading away. Anybody know what happened? If a true freshman (mainly a RB, no less) gets the nod over a 4-star junior for second string safety, something notable must have happened. Did he get injured? I know we were pressed at LB depth the last couple of years, but this kid never got a sniff at safety as far as I can tell. 4-star athletes don't just fade out like this very often. You would think he would've transferred by now. Kudos to him for sticking it out.

Lewandowski at RT two-deep is a little scary. Not much experience there. He played a little TE in high school. Maybe Chuck has a tackle eligible play up his sleeve.

The offensive line shuffle is going to be interesting.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

QB: Crist, Baty WR: Pick, Matthews WR; Shepard, Ford WR: Beshears, Patterson TE: Ragone, Brooks TB: Sims, Pierson (After the suspension) FB: Fink, Jackson OT: Hawkinson, Lewandowski OG: Howard, Dent OC: Marrongelli, Admire OG: Zatnik, Martin OT: Spencer, Sterling K: Doherty P: Doherty LS: Carnes DE: Josh Williams, Stowers DT: Tavaii, John WIlliams DT: McKinny, Young DE: Reynolds, Goodman LB: Opurum, Tharp LB: McDonald,Miles LB: Willis, Heeney CB: Brown, Moore S: MacDougald, Shawk S: SImmons, Smith CB: Patmon, Allen

Mo Golany 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow looking at the offense and with Weis's history we look pretty good on paper! Now if the defense makes strides we can def win some games and be very competitive in others. Look last year we let a few games slip and we were right there so I'll be looking to win those games this year! Here's to high expectations lol.

Andy Hess 1 year, 8 months ago

McDonald/Miles could go either way, but I tend to side more with experience on the field here.

On the OL, I see Riley Spencer starting at RT and Sterling at RG. I have a hard time thinking that Sterling will be able to move like a tackle at his listed 360 lb weight. Unless he drops weight to become more mobile, I think he projects better as a guard.

I think Mundine could be in the mix with Brooks to back up Ragone, and Weis could use up to three TEs. I'd include him.

WRs I see Pick and either Patterson or Beshears in the slot, but I've been hearing that Omigie has made major strides this offseason and is pushing for a starting spot. I'd have to include him at least in the two deep at WR.

Just my two cents.

Other than that, 2-deep looks good.

Travis Warner 1 year, 8 months ago

Matt, it would be nice if you could put some sort of grade next to each player. Maybe that "grade" could be a comparison to the other players at their respected positions in the league.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

I like McDonald to start over Miles, Nas Moore to sneak in over Patmon and as a technicality...Sizemore at FB when the offense takes the field for the first play

JJHawq 1 year, 8 months ago

could be wrong - but I dont think he's trying to match CW's - he's trying to show what he thinks it will be for NDSU.

BFerr54 1 year, 8 months ago

Interesting that you have 3 guys on the first team not even on campus yet (Sterling, Tavai, McKinney). I would imagine Weis wouldn't release a depth chart like that at this point.