Charlie Weis Era officially under way

Kansas head football coach Charlie Weis talks with media members on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex. Weis introduced new members of his football team and also announced players that have left the program. by Nick Krug

Today marked the first day of workouts for the Kansas University football team under the new coaching regime, and, by all accounts, it started bright and early and was as intense as anything the players had seen in quite some time.

New KU strength and conditioning coach Scott Holsopple — not new coach Charlie Weis — was the man in charge of today’s events, and, according to many of the players, Holsopple and his staff turned up the intensity a notch or two compared to what the Jayhawks were used to.

As Weis mentioned during his news conference on Monday, Holsopple will be one of the most important men in the KU program during the next few weeks. He’ll be the one coach who has direct contact with the players, and, if that contact is anything like Weis has promised it will be, the next few weeks are going to be brutal.

Early morning runs, intense workouts, weight-lifting marathons — all with a no excuses mentality.

It’s still early in the process, but a quick scan of Twitter this morning revealed just how Day 1 of the Charlie Weis era went.

Here’s a look:

Sophomore DE, Keba Agostinho - 8:27 a.m.
Done with 1st day of workouts n all I can say is it's bout to get REAL around here!!

Junior DE, Toben Opurum - 8:59 a.m.
Can't wait to get back in my bed lol

Freshman DE, Ben Goodman - 8:24 a.m.
Our workout was long... Damn near 2hrs #timetogethuge

Junior WR, D.J. Beshears - Mid-day
Today was a wake up call ,,, back to reality !

Senior WR, Daymond Patterson - Pre-workout
I'm ready to workout time needs to speed up

Sophomore WR, Chris Omigie - Mid-day
New semester rules for C.O..... class > sleep

Freshman LB, Ben Heeney - Early evening
First workout with the new coaches went good sore as a mug #teamswoll

Sophomore WR, Andrew Turzilli - Early evening
First workout with the new staff #complete

Sophomore WR, Erick McGriff - Mid Evening
u ever been so tired u fell aslp sending a txt #bodybag #kufball

I know that's a small sample size, but in everything from realization and dedication to a change in attitude, it appears as if the Charlie Weis Era is off to a solid start.

I'm sure today was only the beginning.

Stay tuned...

;

Comments

Old73 2 years, 2 months ago

Having been a KU fan for 55 + years as well as a KU Graduate. I was exited when Charlie Weis was hired. His follow up in recruting was a big +. However the treatment of Brock Bergund has not been the class act that I would expect from the KU athletic department. Espically after the way other universities helped KUs football program recrute what appears to be some exciting talent. Its time to get on with restoring KU football and let any one wanting to transfer out of the current program or being told they are not included in future plans leave with the blessing of KU. KU atheletic department has already had enough problems in the recent past. Show some class and not tarnish the great basketball and other programs that has been established over the years.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 3 months ago

Im actually excited/optimistic about KUFB again. Rock Chalk Shamrock!

cheerio 2 years, 3 months ago

These players at least have a limited number of hours that they can practice per D1 rules. Juco ball has no limits (or at least they didn't used to). Practices/conditioning can last 5-6 hours everyday.

newmedia 2 years, 3 months ago

Only one way to go after the last 2 years... Rock On...

aviebs51 2 years, 3 months ago

I find it hard to believe that any college coach could be lazy....especially one that learned the game under Tom Osborne....just my opinion.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

I've spent a good portion of my life in Nebraska, and live here now. Turner Gill is still a legend up here, and well liked. But I've also heard from a few fans that he had a reputation for being last one in and first one out. Now, I have no idea if that means he was lazy, it could very well mean he just wanted to get home to his family. But I was shocked to hear that. I haven't posted any of these rumors before because 1) I have no idea if they're true, and 2) I didn't want to believe them. But the more I read things like this, the more I think there may be something to them.

aviebs51 2 years, 3 months ago

So I must say I'm a bit shocked....I played college football at a D2 school, a fairly successful one. Seeing players tweet about how long their workouts were when they were almost 2 hours......WEAK! It is no surprise as to why Turner Gill's teams were getting the tails whipped. We worked out for 2.5 hours everyday during the offseason....So almost 2 hours....not long at all....Was just shocked to read that.

DallasJayhawk1 2 years, 3 months ago

Again, someone wake me up when this dream is over. This isn't really happening.

jhox 2 years, 3 months ago

Those tweets do make one wonder what kind of kiddie camp Gill was running. No wonder even in games when we were competitive in the the first half, we either blew a big lead or got blown out in the second half.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Hmmmm. I'm just the opposite. Guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

Jean Robart 2 years, 3 months ago

Every time I see Charlie Weis, I like and respect him less. This is incredible since I have had no liking or respect for him since he was announced as coach.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

Although I think 2 BCS games in a 5 year timeframe is extremely impressive. The mistakes that Notre Dame thought Charlie Weis made, I think he has done a good job of addressing in his second stint of head coaching.

1) many people thought he came off as standoffish and didn't mix well with the alumni. To me he has been so impressive. He has been a presence throughout the campus, he attends mens and womens basketball games, he doesn't do the Belicheck press conferences. In fact, every press conference I hear, I think so much more of him. He is funny, direct, and comes off very polished. 2) At ND he had 100% graduation rate...doesn't look like he is going to let that slide. 3) Condiitioning at ND seemed to be a little bit of concern. He goes and gets Florida's guy to put a lick on it...and so far it sounds like it is heading in the right direction. 4) Defense was a sore spot at ND, many people thought he didn't do enough...so what does he do...hire a prolific DC that has done it in the college and pros and multiple times at each level. 5) Identify needs and go and recruit those needs. With the recruits he has been outstanding from a KU standpoint. I'm hoping to see a couple more recruits that come in and make us even better. I'm curious if we will make a top 30 ranking for the first time in KU history (I think).

Keep it going HCCW...we are excited about the spring football game...that should let you know how amazing of a job you have done.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 3 months ago

Stoked...absolutely stoked! Best part, we'll know who they are on the the field without cross-referencing game program with numbers!!!

greenworld 2 years, 3 months ago

If I had to guess at it I would say their will be a few more players drop out of the program as it probly wasnt what they signed up for on the TG piece of paper originally meaning,basically TG was a little to soft of some of these dudes. See Coach Weis by the sound of it is looking for a few good men and you all are about to see if your ready to turn the corner and make Ku a football school and at the end of the whole thing when he is done with you I think you will be able to leave Ku a football player. To many times players get labeled as student athletes instead of football players and it over shadows the ability to make Ku into a definate football school. I believe at Ou and Tx they say Football first, school second. To many Ku football players are just here to get a degree and not be called a football player.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 3 months ago

Tait, any report on when Holsopple handed out the candy bars? No? This is a real football program now, you say? Oh, I see.

I have to admit, as a former college football player myself, this sounds a whole lot more along the lines of what should be happening. I remember lifting weights until my extremities fell off...Let's get these Hawks BFS.

jay381 2 years, 3 months ago

HC Bill Self has an infamous "boot camp" to start the conditioning every fall. It has worked out pretty well I would suggest. You do not win games with out of shape players obviously something the prior staff did not understand. Good start. I continue to be impressed with the changes Coach Weis is making. They appear to be well thought out with a goal in mind. Keep up the good work.

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

I love this team already!

Keep tweeting, tell us about the #1 strength staff in the United States, you've got Jayhawk Nation P.U.M.P.E.D. for Jayhawk-Easter in Memorial, April 28th.

El Jay 2 years, 3 months ago

HCCW is doing a great job so far. I propose a minimum weight requirement for all future head football coaches at KU. Who's with me?

Michael Sizemore 2 years, 3 months ago

they can still tweet?!? work 'em harder! haha.

Lance Cheney 2 years, 3 months ago

I like Agostinho and Beshears' comments. They seem pretty pumped about it, and not whiny. Of course, it's only the first day. We'll see what they're saying after a week or two. Haha. Give 'em hell, boys!

d_park 2 years, 3 months ago

martyks 2 years, 3 months ago

Notre Dame wilted in the fourth quarter under Weis. I sure hope he learned a lesson from that fact and will get KU players in shape. It could happen.

labbadabba 2 years, 3 months ago

Everybody gets to go to Dave and Busters afterwards right? RIGHT???