Charlie Weis Era officially under way

Kansas head football coach Charlie Weis talks with media members on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at the Anderson Family Football Complex. Weis introduced new members of his football team and also announced players that have left the program. by Nick Krug

Today marked the first day of workouts for the Kansas University football team under the new coaching regime, and, by all accounts, it started bright and early and was as intense as anything the players had seen in quite some time.

New KU strength and conditioning coach Scott Holsopple — not new coach Charlie Weis — was the man in charge of today’s events, and, according to many of the players, Holsopple and his staff turned up the intensity a notch or two compared to what the Jayhawks were used to.

As Weis mentioned during his news conference on Monday, Holsopple will be one of the most important men in the KU program during the next few weeks. He’ll be the one coach who has direct contact with the players, and, if that contact is anything like Weis has promised it will be, the next few weeks are going to be brutal.

Early morning runs, intense workouts, weight-lifting marathons — all with a no excuses mentality.

It’s still early in the process, but a quick scan of Twitter this morning revealed just how Day 1 of the Charlie Weis era went.

Here’s a look:

Sophomore DE, Keba Agostinho - 8:27 a.m.
Done with 1st day of workouts n all I can say is it's bout to get REAL around here!!

Junior DE, Toben Opurum - 8:59 a.m.
Can't wait to get back in my bed lol

Freshman DE, Ben Goodman - 8:24 a.m.
Our workout was long... Damn near 2hrs #timetogethuge

Junior WR, D.J. Beshears - Mid-day
Today was a wake up call ,,, back to reality !

Senior WR, Daymond Patterson - Pre-workout
I'm ready to workout time needs to speed up

Sophomore WR, Chris Omigie - Mid-day
New semester rules for C.O..... class > sleep

Freshman LB, Ben Heeney - Early evening
First workout with the new coaches went good sore as a mug #teamswoll

Sophomore WR, Andrew Turzilli - Early evening
First workout with the new staff #complete

Sophomore WR, Erick McGriff - Mid Evening
u ever been so tired u fell aslp sending a txt #bodybag #kufball

I know that's a small sample size, but in everything from realization and dedication to a change in attitude, it appears as if the Charlie Weis Era is off to a solid start.

I'm sure today was only the beginning.

Stay tuned...

;

Comments

d_prowess 2 years, 8 months ago

And that's why I assume he wasn't working out this morning but the players were!

jhawkln 2 years, 8 months ago

Charlie Badger don't care! Brilliant.

labbadabba 2 years, 8 months ago

Everybody gets to go to Dave and Busters afterwards right? RIGHT???

martyks 2 years, 8 months ago

Notre Dame wilted in the fourth quarter under Weis. I sure hope he learned a lesson from that fact and will get KU players in shape. It could happen.

d_park 2 years, 8 months ago

Lance Cheney 2 years, 8 months ago

I like Agostinho and Beshears' comments. They seem pretty pumped about it, and not whiny. Of course, it's only the first day. We'll see what they're saying after a week or two. Haha. Give 'em hell, boys!

Michael Sizemore 2 years, 8 months ago

they can still tweet?!? work 'em harder! haha.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 8 months ago

+100

KUFB Player Spring Semester daily priority list

Class Workout Study Practice Eat Sleep tweet

...in that order. They still got time to tweet, they're neglectin' sumthin' more important! ;-)

Gregor Southard 2 years, 8 months ago

It takes like 10 seconds to tweet

El Jay 2 years, 8 months ago

HCCW is doing a great job so far. I propose a minimum weight requirement for all future head football coaches at KU. Who's with me?

JayHok 2 years, 8 months ago

I love this team already!

Keep tweeting, tell us about the #1 strength staff in the United States, you've got Jayhawk Nation P.U.M.P.E.D. for Jayhawk-Easter in Memorial, April 28th.

jay381 2 years, 8 months ago

HC Bill Self has an infamous "boot camp" to start the conditioning every fall. It has worked out pretty well I would suggest. You do not win games with out of shape players obviously something the prior staff did not understand. Good start. I continue to be impressed with the changes Coach Weis is making. They appear to be well thought out with a goal in mind. Keep up the good work.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

Tait, any report on when Holsopple handed out the candy bars? No? This is a real football program now, you say? Oh, I see.

I have to admit, as a former college football player myself, this sounds a whole lot more along the lines of what should be happening. I remember lifting weights until my extremities fell off...Let's get these Hawks BFS.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

How did you lift weights if your extremities fell off ? lol

David Leathers 2 years, 8 months ago

He didn't. He lifted UNTIL they fell off. That's when he stopped.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for proving my wife right.

I just need to pay closer attention.

Or not post until after I'm fully awake.

No - I'm still stupid then. I'll stick with the paying closer attention thing.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

Remember...your wife is always right...we all need to remember that...

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Kleave - good point about the wives!

I saw below that you posted that video - it's weird that I didn't notice that. I guess it's backs up the point that I really do need to pay closer attention!

Lance Cheney 2 years, 8 months ago

I was just thinking about this sketch while reading the above comments. Haha.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

LOL !! That's hilarious RCJH73 - I had seen it many moons ago and forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

Awe man guys...I posted that on my comment...nobody saw it! :( (The Hulu is better quality than the YouTube I posted though)

RCJH73 2 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, Kleave! When I read your post, all I could think of was that old SNL skit, and I didn't even notice your link... :)

greenworld 2 years, 8 months ago

If I had to guess at it I would say their will be a few more players drop out of the program as it probly wasnt what they signed up for on the TG piece of paper originally meaning,basically TG was a little to soft of some of these dudes. See Coach Weis by the sound of it is looking for a few good men and you all are about to see if your ready to turn the corner and make Ku a football school and at the end of the whole thing when he is done with you I think you will be able to leave Ku a football player. To many times players get labeled as student athletes instead of football players and it over shadows the ability to make Ku into a definate football school. I believe at Ou and Tx they say Football first, school second. To many Ku football players are just here to get a degree and not be called a football player.

RockinChalkinLA 2 years, 8 months ago

You're kidding...... Right? HCCW said from the get go, 100% graduation rate. Pretty sure if you don't put the class and study time in you'll be a "football player" at another school. RCJ.

april28 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm gonna guess that greenworld is a dismissed player or parent of a dismissed player. Clearly (here comes sacrcasm), Weis decision to dismiss academically challenged players truly highlights his focus on making KU a football factory.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

I think you're both right. The intensity of being a student athlete is twofold. As a football coach, you have every right to push both elite dedication to the football program as well as academics. I'm not certain how much dedication Gill was pushing on either of those fronts, but it stands to reason Weis is upping the ante either way. It's definitely true that there are many football programs across the country at all levels of college athletics where football is a chance to stay athletic and get a scholarship on your way to getting a degree. However, at the top programs (Texas, OU) it is its own serious business, as it has an opportunity to open up another career path for the athletes, as well as be business for the school. We give you a free education and training for a number of career fields (on or off the gridiron) and in turn, you perform athletically for us, and the better you/the team perform, the more money the school's athletic department makes from bowl games, TV revenue, etc. It's an investment on the athletic departments part. They pay the university to educate the athlete, in turn they earn that money back from the athlete's performance. You know, so they can pay the coaches' salaries who they've fired in the past 3 years. At the same time, pushing a 100% graduation rate ensures that the school's investment of time in the student is worth while. Plus, you just have to be passing your classes in order to maintain an eligible status to play football anyway, so that's the football coach protecting his investment too. At the Big 12 level, you have to have this balance of athleticism and academic commitment, otherwise the program is going to suffer one way or the other. (Poor on field performance from guys "just getting their degree" or sanctions because of secretly academically ineligible high performance "football players") Either way, you're both right. We need guys who are both elite athletes on the field and committed in the classroom, and it sounds like Weis is pushing for that.

KFoz 2 years, 8 months ago

Good God, read before you post.

KCatty 2 years, 8 months ago

If he is a former player judging by the grammar and writing in that post he wasn't going to class.

wannabe 2 years, 8 months ago

"Hello Pot? This is Kettle. You’re Black". Maybe a couple of commas would have made your one sentence more readable.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

I did. What do you think I was responding to? I addressed everything and added to it. YOU read before you post.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 8 months ago

Stoked...absolutely stoked! Best part, we'll know who they are on the the field without cross-referencing game program with numbers!!!

tis4tim 2 years, 8 months ago

The ironic thing about putting the names back on the jerseys is that if Weis can bring in all these 4 and 5-star kids we wouldn't need the names because the buzz surrounding the players would be big enough that all of us would know who they are even before they set foot on campus. Still, I'm glad the decision has been made.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 8 months ago

Although I think 2 BCS games in a 5 year timeframe is extremely impressive. The mistakes that Notre Dame thought Charlie Weis made, I think he has done a good job of addressing in his second stint of head coaching.

1) many people thought he came off as standoffish and didn't mix well with the alumni. To me he has been so impressive. He has been a presence throughout the campus, he attends mens and womens basketball games, he doesn't do the Belicheck press conferences. In fact, every press conference I hear, I think so much more of him. He is funny, direct, and comes off very polished. 2) At ND he had 100% graduation rate...doesn't look like he is going to let that slide. 3) Condiitioning at ND seemed to be a little bit of concern. He goes and gets Florida's guy to put a lick on it...and so far it sounds like it is heading in the right direction. 4) Defense was a sore spot at ND, many people thought he didn't do enough...so what does he do...hire a prolific DC that has done it in the college and pros and multiple times at each level. 5) Identify needs and go and recruit those needs. With the recruits he has been outstanding from a KU standpoint. I'm hoping to see a couple more recruits that come in and make us even better. I'm curious if we will make a top 30 ranking for the first time in KU history (I think).

Keep it going HCCW...we are excited about the spring football game...that should let you know how amazing of a job you have done.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

Bargh! Dammit. You're right. To be honest, I do think he's addressed his shortcomings at ND very well. It's all still just observation of potential at this point. I'm still waiting to see what happens in the spring game before I'm convinced.

I'm just trying to protect myself...last time we got a new coach...the hurt was so deep...

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

Outstanding summarization. I agree on all points.

GridironHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

The last point might be one of the most important. If the fan base wants to do anything to help this team it will be to show up at the Spring game. That will definitely help motivate the players to work even harder through the summer...

Jean Robart 2 years, 8 months ago

Every time I see Charlie Weis, I like and respect him less. This is incredible since I have had no liking or respect for him since he was announced as coach.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 8 months ago

One comment in six years of this site and that's it. There must be a troll rehab somewhere on line where you can acquire some skills.

squawkhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I feel the same way. I think Weis will be a huge failure at KU and is nothing more than a fleeting moment of PR. Everything he says sounds to good to be true and I have a feeling we'll find this to be the truth in 2 years time. He's looking for a quick jolt in the arm for 2 years to make things look good (NFL coaches, a couple of 4 and 5 star transfers tied to his ND days...etc.) but we'll soon see if any of them, including Weis, can really develop college kids instead of baby sitting NFL prima donas. Weis came in riding a big white horse (anything looked better than T Gill) and making a big splash but reality will soon set in and Weis will be run out of town before his contract is up.

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Hmmmm. I'm just the opposite. Guess it takes all kinds to make a world.

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

Those tweets do make one wonder what kind of kiddie camp Gill was running. No wonder even in games when we were competitive in the the first half, we either blew a big lead or got blown out in the second half.

DallasJayhawk1 2 years, 8 months ago

Again, someone wake me up when this dream is over. This isn't really happening.

aviebs51 2 years, 8 months ago

So I must say I'm a bit shocked....I played college football at a D2 school, a fairly successful one. Seeing players tweet about how long their workouts were when they were almost 2 hours......WEAK! It is no surprise as to why Turner Gill's teams were getting the tails whipped. We worked out for 2.5 hours everyday during the offseason....So almost 2 hours....not long at all....Was just shocked to read that.

kureader 2 years, 8 months ago

The length of the practice doesn't mean anything. We don't know what they were doing. If a conditioning practice takes 2.5 hours, then it's poorly organized. If a guy is rotating turns in the weight room, that's different. Setting weights aside, the conditioning portion of winter ball that I'm familiar with took less than an hour. It was non-stop, and it was awful. I have no doubt that the Drill Sgt. hired by Weiss is gonna whip our guys into shape. Right now, I certainly wouldn't want to spend 2 hours with the guy.

kureader 2 years, 8 months ago

Weis ... apologies to the "spelling police".

kureader 2 years, 8 months ago

Whoa. I've read your three posts. Relax soldier. Take a chill pill. Go for a walk. Have some decaf. Reread my post. I think Weis is going to do a great job conditioning our guys.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 8 months ago

I've spent a good portion of my life in Nebraska, and live here now. Turner Gill is still a legend up here, and well liked. But I've also heard from a few fans that he had a reputation for being last one in and first one out. Now, I have no idea if that means he was lazy, it could very well mean he just wanted to get home to his family. But I was shocked to hear that. I haven't posted any of these rumors before because 1) I have no idea if they're true, and 2) I didn't want to believe them. But the more I read things like this, the more I think there may be something to them.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 8 months ago

That makes sense to me. As avieb mentions below, it is hard for me to believe he's lazy, so I was thinking it may very well be family. Admirable for sure, but not too realistic for a D1 football coach.

aviebs51 2 years, 8 months ago

I find it hard to believe that any college coach could be lazy....especially one that learned the game under Tom Osborne....just my opinion.

bville_hawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Dr. Tom wasn't above playing a favorite (see: Lawrence Phillips) He sold his soul to the devil with that one...

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

We have done it too... Aqib Talib.

GridironHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Pretty harsh to put those two in the same category. Worst thing Talib has done is smoke a little pot...

Jeffrey Nichols 2 years, 8 months ago

And take the pistol out of his mother's hands to fire it at his sister's boyfriend . . .

KGphoto 2 years, 8 months ago

LMFAO!! I was going to say it but yours is better.

Kansashawk 2 years, 8 months ago

or the time he shot a gun off on Mass St.

labbadabba 2 years, 8 months ago

To varying degrees. Many states have decriminalized pot possession.

wannabe 2 years, 8 months ago

So you think Talib and Phillips are the same? Really??? Really? Read this and tell me if this is by any streach of the imagination similar to Talib

jhox 2 years, 8 months ago

The difference is that Talib stayed out of trouble for the most part at KU, at least as far as we know. Phillips' issues while at NU were pretty well documented, if I recall correctly, though I don't recall specifics. I do recall stories indicating TO had turned his head to a lot of his trangressions while he was at NU.

newmedia 2 years, 8 months ago

Only one way to go after the last 2 years... Rock On...

cheerio 2 years, 8 months ago

These players at least have a limited number of hours that they can practice per D1 rules. Juco ball has no limits (or at least they didn't used to). Practices/conditioning can last 5-6 hours everyday.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 8 months ago

Im actually excited/optimistic about KUFB again. Rock Chalk Shamrock!

Goose_88 2 years, 8 months ago

interesting grading scale, putting leech as the best hire. even if the closet incident didnt occur exactly as claimed is he a better hire than meyer? not going to put much credence in those grades. check those grades in 2 years and then we will see what grades the hires get. not saying weis was an A+ hire but from where we were hes not even on the same grading scale.

kureader 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for finding and posting. ... a pretty shallow analysis, though, I thought. Like Goose88 says, lets save this article for a couple years and see what happens. I think the reporter is dead wrong. Weis was as good of a hire as Zenger could have made. I like Weis more as I learn more about him. You certainly have to like his early recruiting successes.

troutsee 2 years, 8 months ago

Only time will tell if Mandel is correct. It will be interesting to watch Wash St and KU. WSU was starting to make progress when they fired their coach. So, I think that Leach has a little bit of a head start. Hopefully Weis will make Mandel eat his words. Weis is on a mission to prove himself while Leach can rest on his hype for a while, which may cost his and WSU. We'll see. I don't think Charlie will let us down. He is driven.

Old73 2 years, 8 months ago

Having been a KU fan for 55 + years as well as a KU Graduate. I was exited when Charlie Weis was hired. His follow up in recruting was a big +. However the treatment of Brock Bergund has not been the class act that I would expect from the KU athletic department. Espically after the way other universities helped KUs football program recrute what appears to be some exciting talent. Its time to get on with restoring KU football and let any one wanting to transfer out of the current program or being told they are not included in future plans leave with the blessing of KU. KU atheletic department has already had enough problems in the recent past. Show some class and not tarnish the great basketball and other programs that has been established over the years.