What's causing the delay in KU's quest to hire a defensive coordinator?

New Kansas football coach Charlie Weis smiles from the sideline during the KU women's basketball team's game against Kansas State at Allen Fieldhouse. The Jayhawks fell to the Wildcats, 63-57. by John Young

OK, so here’s what we know about the vacant defensive coordinator position at Kansas University.

It still has not been filled.

There are no known front-runners.

There is no time table for when it might be filled.

Sound familiar? It should. This is pretty much what we’ve known all along and may very well be all we are able to find out until the hire is announced.

During the course of the past few weeks, I’ve received all kinds of information from all kinds of sources about this guy or that guy, this name or that name. So far, despite coming from some pretty solid places, not of a stitch of it has turned out to be accurate.

At one point, I heard that former San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Greg Manusky was the leader for the job. Around the same time, I heard that Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan was the man to watch. And that same night I was told that current Georgia Tech defensive coordinator Al Groh was going to be hired. Again, these all came from pretty decent sources and all of them — at least up to this point — proved to be false.

So we move on.

At this point, it’s hard to know exactly what is causing the delay. I’ve been told throughout the process by people close to the situation that there really is no hurry here. As much as it might make fans of the program sleep a little easier knowing who the new DC is — big name or otherwise — new KU coach Charlie Weis is sleeping just fine.

Weis has complete control of recruiting and seems to be bringing in some solid names, both as commitments and for visits. Included on that list are defensive players, thanks largely to the work of defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt and running backs coach and recruiting guru Reggie Mitchell.

What’s more, there’s no coaching to be done currently, as the position coaches cannot have regular contact with their players until spring practices. The one guy who can work with the players — new strength and conditioning coach Scott Holsopple — is here, so there’s no need to worry about losing time or ground in that department.

As for those who say that delaying the announcement could cost the program valuable time that could be used to install the new defensive philosophy, there are a couple of things to remember there. First, it’s safe to guess that several players who will be listed on the two-deep depth chart on defense aren’t even here yet. Second, there’s plenty of time between spring drills and fall camp to install KU’s base defense. Once that is in place, most of the wrinkles that are added to it will come during game weeks, in season, anyway, as the Jayhawks prepare a game plan for each opponent.

One thing that may not be helping KU here is the number of DC vacancies that are out there, both in college and the NFL. A surplus of vacancies means options for the guys that land on most wish lists. And those guys having options means that the rest of us have to wait for things to play out in other places before this candidate or that one actually even can make a complete evaluation of what his next move may be. That could be what’s happening with Oklahoma assistant coach Willie Martinez and may very well have been the case with new Kansas City Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel.

Here’s a short blog about Martinez from the folks who cover the Sooners: http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2012/01/06/martinezs-name-popping-up-for-dc-jobs-whats-it-mean/

Beyond these names, Texas A&M, Penn State, Tennessee and Auburn — among others — have been or are currently looking to fill the same position. As exciting as things seem around the KU football program right now, Kansas still ranks a ways behind those schools in terms of places most people would want to work.

Other names still worth keeping an eye on include: Jim Leavitt, San Francisco 49ers linebackers coach; Raheem Morris, former Tampa Bay head coach and K-State DC; and all of those you haven’t heard yet, as was the case with Weis during the head coaching search.

I’m as eager as the next guy to find out who the new defensive coordinator will be. A new name — particularly if it’s a big one — just means that many more stories that can be written and angles that can be pursued. That’s exciting. Until we get something tangible about the job, I’ll keep pursuing every angle and trying to find out as much as I can about the names that pop up and even a little about the names that don’t.

Just enjoy the process and trust that the right guy will be brought in. This could end up being like those Heinz Ketchup commercials from back in the day.... "good things come to those who wait."

Stay tuned...

;

Comments

Steve Tramba 2 years, 3 months ago

What austin said... DC is the new DC... I'm ok w/ that.

Steve Tramba 2 years, 3 months ago

What austin said... DC is the new DC... I'm ok w/ that.

John Myers 2 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawk Slant just tweeted that it's Dave Campo, Dallas Cowboys secondary coach.

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

Speaking of Penn State, what about Tom Bradley? Too much baggage?

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

A&M, Tennessee, Auburn yes. Not sure about Penn State being a more attractive place to coach.

KNUCKLEDRAGGER 2 years, 3 months ago

It will not be a Pro Coach ,
Jerry Sandusky Maybe ?
He is available

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 3 months ago

Did you click the "show all" tab???

Greg Ledom 2 years, 3 months ago

Per HCCW, the Bowen move is a good pick on several fronts. One is chemistry with the staff and players, plus a solid position coach. Come on home coach Bowen. Secondly, I have close resources that suggest WM from OU will be the next DC at Kansas. Apparently was almost done this past Friday, but Illinois came on strong for their DC job. Word has it their AD offered up big cash and began wiggling about the money. WM has Kansas back in front. Sources say they hope to finalize by the end of this week. Just saying, and we'll see.

JayDocMD 2 years, 3 months ago

4 star prior Tenn commit CB Kenneth Crawley just tweeted that he may move his visit to the 28th because "KU dont have D Staff ... I'm real mad."

Concrete evidence this delay is hurting recruiting.

treed14ku 2 years, 3 months ago

KU needs to get this done SOON!! Kenneth Crawley, the #21 DB in the country who is heavily considering KU just tweeted, "I believe KU don't have a D staff might switch it up to the 28th weekend I'm real mad". We can't be missing out on players like him b/c we waited too long.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Clint Bowen needs to be on the KU Football Staff! I would love to hit a home run with a Leavitt, Nolan, or Manusky but if all else failed I wouldn't mind him as DC.

-KU alum and loved by the players -He has done well the past couple seasons as DC -He was co-coordinator with Young when our defense was really good -When he was the only DC, talent was down.

At the very least, he has gained experience.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 3 months ago

By the way...there is no way Clint Bowen gets hired on as our defensive coordinator.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 3 months ago

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt - you mention that it's safe to say that several defensive players that will be on the two deep depth chart haven't made it to campus yet. Who / which players are you referring to ?

JayDocMD 2 years, 3 months ago

One football site was tweeting Bowen as the DC - I sure hope they are wrong. I'm good with Secondary/ST but if he's DC that would be a major disappointment.

always_a_jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

As long as he doesn't hire Kevin Cosgrove.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 3 months ago

Okay, the hiring of Clint Bowen as a defensive assistant M U S T mean there's a DC waiting in the wings. You can't hire defensive assistants without a DC can you?

ColoKU 2 years, 3 months ago

The longer this takes the more I'm convinced it's Leavitt! Anything less would be disappointing

Steve Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

I am wanting to schedule Mizzou again, like twice a year, here, there, in between.

I hate 'em poosies.

hawkcat 2 years, 3 months ago

Weis sure keeps everyone guessing.

sgtjhwk1 2 years, 3 months ago

Per Toben Opurum tweet, Coach Bowen has accepted a position on the KU staff.

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Considering what Coach Weis has pulled off in the short time he has been here, I have no worries that he will lure a top notch DC. Relax guys. Its all good.

parrothead8 2 years, 3 months ago

Tom Bradley would be a good DC hire.

treed14ku 2 years, 3 months ago

So Darrian Miller just tweeted, "#kufball pullin some grimey ass moves boa thats why I aint even with it". Doesn't sound like he's too happy w/ KU right about now.

treed14ku 2 years, 3 months ago

Tomorrow's article: Todd Reesing tells the LJW what Chris Harris overheard from Tim Tebow about who will be the next KU defensive coordinator.

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 3 months ago

BTW, way to sneak the new football hires at the end of the Tebow article. It looks like the Florida and Texas high school ties just got stronger. Great hires! Go recruit 'em, boys!!

Phoggin_Loud 2 years, 3 months ago

The longer this DC thing goes, the more I see it being Jim Leavitt. Wouldn't Mike Nolan have been hired by now? I guess time will tell.

d_bradley27 2 years, 3 months ago

Delaying the announcement doesn't change the culture as Weis vowed to do. It's more of the same Gill uncertainty. At least that's what it feels like :) C'mon Charlie, get it done.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't love the idea of a JC running back. We have 3 very good backs unless.......somebody is leaving. My prediction of a DC by Monday was slightly off. Until the announcement, I suppose that it is TIC time - Trust In Charlie.

kugrad93 2 years, 3 months ago

I think you have five years to use four years of eligibility, so is red-shirting him even an option?

JayDocMD 2 years, 3 months ago

What's up with Brock Berglund? I haven't heard if he's planning on using a scholarship.

Mixed feelings about him. Would be nice for him to come, red shirt and if he pans out to be a player possibly be ready as a junior when Heaps leaves.

KU_cynic 2 years, 3 months ago

"...new KU coach Charlie Weis is sleeping just fine."

Of course he is. He's on pain meds following his hip replacement surgery.

THFCandKUsince87 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt - any news on the future of the conference? Any more additions? What is the interim Big 12 commissioner up to these days? I appreciated all of your reports on the subject in the past.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Tait, can you forward my pencil written resume to the football offices? I know it wasn't good enough to land the "conference chatter" job but maybe it can land me the DC job.

BTW 1-3 in bowl picks. Ouch! I'm going to have a hard time explaining to my wife that her implants and Botox will have to be put on hold.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 3 months ago

It is hard to remember last year at this time how I got by knowing our football team was going to be the same the next year... oh by this time last year I had forgotten about our football team and was soley watching KU BB.. For all the doubters out there you have to admit.. its january and still are latched on trying to find out news about our Football program long after the season ended.

thekansasboy1987 2 years, 3 months ago

I have already bought my tickets,I can't wait.Good Things Come For Those Who Wait!!

JayhawkinNE 2 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps the reason for a press conference on Jan 16th....to report those that are not returning????

thekansasboy1987 2 years, 3 months ago

are we still looking for a OF coordinater?

gorilla10 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt

I'm interested in hearing who we're returning for next year. I've heard rumors about players possibly transferring out....any word on any transfers out??

gorilla10 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt

bbj 2 years, 3 months ago

Please don't bring in Radio Raheem Morris. What ever the plan just keep bringing in players, to play at KU. I know it's early but what does it look like for the 2013 clas.

Edward Coan 2 years, 3 months ago

People are still laughing at us, mostly K-Fake and Misery, but remember what Pete Carroll did at USC coming from the pro ranks.

Kevin Long 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the update Tait. I keep looking every day for something new! Its nice to know your still on it!

Displayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Anybody know who the All-America JUCO running back is that Rivals is reporting is going to visit KU soon???

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Recruiting Update:

We're going to get a visit from a HUGE (as in physically very, very big) JuCo OL. 6'8", 360lb Carlos Lozano from East LA College. He's already had a visit to KState and has offers from KSU, UCLA, Utah, and Utah St.

2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the update, Matt! In Charlie we trust :)

hawk316 2 years, 3 months ago

Love him or hate him, you have to admit that Gill picked some good assistant coaches. The fact that Charley decided to keep both Mitchell and Wyatt speaks for itself. And I would have loved to have seen what such a highly respected coach as Torbush could have done with our defense last year.

Looks like Weis is putting together a great staff, too. Go Charley!

JayDocMD 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand that no coaching can presently occur, but the absence of a DC has to adversely affect recruiting defensive players. Weis and the others have and will get the attention of some talented recruits (like CB Kenneth Crawley) but wouldn't you want to know who your coordinator is going to be and what type of system you will be playing in? The longer this goes on the harder it will be to recruit impact players on defense.

levicircle2 2 years, 3 months ago

One reason to get a DC sooner than later: Recruiting. The kids you want for a 3-4 are different than the ones you want for a 4-3. If the HC knows he wants to run one or the other (and is only going to hire a DC that also wants to do that one), then no problem. If the HC is going to leave it up to the DC, they need to get one soon.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 3 months ago

There is a sense of urgeny in that the longer you wait the less attractive the talent pool will become because jobs will be filled. Act now I say.

bad_dog 2 years, 3 months ago

Carly Simon sings: "Anticipation, you're making me wait..."

Oh, BTW Matt, perhaps you should clarify that Tebow isn't a candidate for DC at KU ;-)