What caught my eye at Day 19 of Fall Practice

Tuesday afternoon provided the ultimate return on making the trek to Kansas University football practice day after day during the preseason.

As the team broke into position groups to work on individual drills, I found myself watching the wide receivers. Specifically, I had my eye on freshman Tre' Parmalee, who was praised by KU coach Charlie Weis earlier in the day. Watching Parmalee, who has put himself in position to play a lot this fall, got me thinking about which receivers we weren’t hearing much about.

The immediate name that came to mind was sophomore JaCorey Shepherd, last year’s fourth-leading receiver who tied for the team lead with three touchdowns.

Shepherd has been pretty quiet this offseason. So quiet, in fact, that now he’s playing a new position.

Tuesday, while all of KU’s wideouts worked out with assistant coach Rob Ianello, Shepherd was on the other field — in a white jersey instead of blue — working out with the defensive backs.

Shepherd still wore No. 89, and there has not yet been any kind of announcement about him switching positions permanently. But he was definitely working with the D-Backs on Tuesday and he might be staying there.

Stay tuned...

Here’s a quick look at what else caught my eye on Tuesday:

• Senior linebacker Anthony McDonald was back on the exercise bike after a brief moment away from it at the start of practice.

Earlier in the day, Weis told us that part of the reason McDonald spent so much time on the bike was because they were trying to make sure he would be full-go for the season. McDonald has a history of injuries and, according to Weis, knows only one way to play the game.

“He’s one of those guys, tackle to tackle, hit you as hard as he can possibly hit ya,” Weis said. “That’s the only game he knows. There’s no passive game in how he plays.”

• There’s a new player in camp — and, no, it’s not Ty McKinney — but I’m not sure who he is yet. He wears No. 78, works out with the offensive linemen and his last name begins with the letter B. That’s all I could make out in the brief time we were up there and no one by that name, or that number, is listed on KU’s official roster. I’ll check into it more and let you know. Know this, though, the guy caught my eye because he’s huge. Looks to be about 6-foot-6, 310-320. Stay tuned...

• Finally, the Coach Weis song of the day was “For You” by Bruce Springsteen. I probably won’t tell Weis this, but I must admit, the only version of the song I had ever heard was the cover job by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band. I like both versions.

Comments

Max Ledom 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt,

Why the Jacorey move? This just seems baffling to me. He was so good at WR I honestly thought he had NFL potential. He had that one huge game against NIU I believe and he slowed down but I honestly feel bad about this.

Matt Tait 2 years, 3 months ago

We'll find out more tomorrow, when we get to talk to the defensive coaching staff, so hang in there... It may not be permanent and there may be a good reason.

Tad Shurtz 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt -

Pretty sure the OL you're talking about is Alex Beglinger. He was a JUCO teammate of Turner Baty's at City College of San Francisco. I noticed some chatter last week on twitter between Beglinger and Michael Reynolds, and they were talking about him transferring to KU. I'm guessing he's a walk on, but no idea.

Here's his profile: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Alexander-Beglinger-140364

Matt Tait 2 years, 3 months ago

Not bad with my 6-6, 310-320 guess, huh? Rivals lists him at 6-8, 320.

dgless21 2 years, 3 months ago

This seems right. He fits the stature and has himself listed as a KU student on twitter.

Andy Hess 2 years, 3 months ago

Could be turning him into a college version of Troy Brown and play him both ways. Just a thought...

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Doug Cramer 2 years, 3 months ago

JaCorey might be one of the players Campo was talking about wanting on the defensive side of the ball.

Matt Tait 2 years, 3 months ago

Also a great point. We get to talk to Campo after practice tomorrow. It'll be great to hear what he has to say about it and how they made the decision. Stay tuned...

april28 2 years, 3 months ago

Completely unrelated to Matt's update....I think that SDSU may regret its decision to take this game.

Ryan Shelton 2 years, 3 months ago

The players maybe. Anyone know what the payout is to SDSU?

viewaskew 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt,

I think the mystery player is Alexander Beglinger a JC offensive lineman who was a teammate of Turner Baty at City College of San Francisco.

Back on August 9th, he tweeted: 9 aug alexander beglinger ‏ @ theBIGGshow79 @ Ltorresss I'm transferring to university of Kansas

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt,

Any update on how Reynolds is doing? Havent heard much about him since the spring game.

SEsco10 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope JaCorey goes back to WR. Thought he had a lot of potential at that spot.

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

If he has the ability, maybe he's playing where he's needed the most.

KGphoto 2 years, 3 months ago

I seem to remember him missing a couple easy catches last year too. Like right in the numbers easy. Anybody else remember that? I could be wrong, but if I'm right it would explain a rapid drop on Weis' depth chart. No room for drops.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

He wouldn't be the first receiver to get moved to D back because he didn't catch the ball well.

HAWKS1 2 years, 3 months ago

My guess....2 guys with super bowl rings told him he would be better served as a D-back and he listened.