Mangino speaks out on returning to coaching

Congrats to Bill Reiter, of FOXSports.com, who landed the much-coveted interview with former KU coach Mark Mangino this week.

Mangino, out of coaching since being forced to resign at Kansas following the 2009 season, has been quiet about all things coaching since leaving Lawrence and moving to Florida with his wife.

Although the former KU leader has been spotted on various sidelines in friendship and consulting roles during the past couple of seasons, he's said nothing publicly about his desire to return until today.

In Reiter's column, which can be found here, Mangino talks about how much he misses coaching and how he's ready to get back in the game.

For those who know the man, this is hardly a surprise. If anything, the fact that he was able to stay away for so long is the surprise.

Although he defends the way he ran the KU program — and let's not forget that the guy was in charge during some of KU's most successful years — Mangino says he learned some things from how it all went down and vows that there are things he would do differently. Admirable, no doubt, but also necessary. No athletic director in the country would hire Mangino without hearing those words.

That brings us to Reiter's most interesting point, one that surely will draw mixed reviews from KU fans.

Although Turner Gill is only in his second year at Kansas, Reiter says it's time for the Jayhawks to bring Mangino back.

What's more, he says it's time for KU to do it before K-State does.

It's a good read, with some great comments from the former KU coach. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

Comments

longhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, I'd take him back, but it ain't gonna happen. This ain't the Yankees and Billy Martin, where both sides can heap embarassment upon each other, resign, get fired, whatever, and then put it all back together again and again.

No, Sweet Lew let this one go down his leg, and the Big Guy ain't coming back.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 8 years, 9 months ago

I'd welcome him back in a heart beat. Demote Gill to Offensive Coordinator and bring back Bill Young as Defensive Coordinator. I could BELIEVE in that!!!

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

It does a disservice to our football program and university to just say it can't happen. Let's bring back the only man to put KU football on the map! When Neil Dougherty died, did our basketball program and basketball fans just say, "Well, he's dead. He isn't coming back."? No, we honored Neil the best damn way we could. How many times in life do you get a second chance like this!?!

pizzaboy225 8 years, 9 months ago

How does Dougherty's death relate in any way to this?

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

The basketball program could have just let it go. The man didn't even coach at KU any longer, but that wasn't good enough for our legacy as the greatest basketball program in the history of the sport. We shouldn't let less be good enough for our football team. Mark Mangino is the reason any of us are even talking about football right now!! Don't any of you remember what it was like before him???

KU_alum_2001 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it was exactly like it is right now.

I'm with pizzaboy, though... referencing Coach Dougherty has zero relevance or relation to this story. You can't compare the two at all.

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

Let me simplify this. The basketball program / fans went all out to honor the memory of Neil Dougherty (aside from letting the game end in a tie), but what the hell does our football program / fans go all out for?

Basketball = higher expectations and more effort on the part of the fans, team, and program.

Football = lower expectations and a level of effort from fans, the team, and program that matches those low expectations.

I was blown away when in '04 and '05 people started camping out for the best FOOTBALL seats. Now going to a game gives you a feeling like getting drafted into the Vietnam war.

Lance Cheney 8 years, 8 months ago

Yes it's like comparing "apples and..... orange (bowls)!" ...Anyone? Anyone? Is this thing on?

Trobs 8 years, 9 months ago

Bring the fat man back! We miss you blueberry

FTC_Jayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Some people that will never be head football coaches at KU in the future:

Mark Mangino Mike Leach

If everyone could just go ahead and stop posting anything about hiring either of these two people as head football coach, it would make these comment sections much more readable as well as more intelligent.

Thanks everybody.

texashawk10 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree, Bill Young made Mangino what he was. Young had the defense respectable within a couple of seasons and one of the best in the Big 12 and nationally by year 4. It took Mangino until year 6 to have a good offense to go with Young's defense and when Young left, Mangino ignored the defense and left the defense with minimal speed and talent.

gccs14r 8 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, no. It's irresponsible to entrust the health and well-being of students to a man who has no regard for those qualities for himself. If he lost 350 pounds, that would be a start.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 9 months ago

I have to say I'm a big guy and played football and wrestled in high school, not saying I was a stud by any means, but I will say this; Mangino being overweight didn't reflect on his coaching ability. People tend to look at fat people as being weak or not intelligent. 35% of the US is obese not just overweight. I'm quite sure that his weight has no effect on his ability to recruit or put X's and O's together. Yeah he's fat, so am I but it doesn't make the person any more than it does an ugly guy or a good looking guy for that matter. I'd say our current FIT coach who was a two sport star in college has proven that being FIT and a nice guy doesn't win you football games. I am really enjoying setting the NCAA record for worst defense ever though! That's good times. I have no doubt he needs to lose weight. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. I bench 300 lbs I don't run I walk on a tred mill my total cholesterol is 110 my A1C is 4.9. My numbers look great and I'm a fat guy. Losing weight isn't easy especially once your metabolism slows down. I'm just saying don't judge a book by it's cover. I doubt many of you haters who would call me fat could lay down and throw up 300 lbs on the bench. Our current coach is nice and calm and quiet and doesn't cuss and won't let us see players names and..... BLAH BLAH BLAH. Stop with the you're fat jokes! Come at me with something else. We all know LEW screwed Mangino over. Lew hated him so LEW got rid of him. How many of you were never yelled at in sports? If you played I doubt you can honestly say you weren't! Grow a pair buck up and be a man! Mangino resurrected us from the ashes of failure. Let's hope some how some way we can crawl out of those ashes again unfortunately I don't think Gill and current D-coordinator are going to bring us to the promise land. Either way get off the fat jokes it's childish oh and it makes people feel like sh!t. Plus I may have to pop your head like a grape if you don't! Just kidding about the last part. Just ease up on the fat guy. Most of us are laid back and good people. It's just a flaw and we all got em. You can just see ours!

Richie Kennedy 8 years, 9 months ago

I can "throw up" 10 wheels at 165 lbs. biatch!

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

rxdoc - we've had some good conversations and i think you know i respect you a lot. Having said that - I hope you didn't take your blood pressure immediately following that post !!! lol

Take care friend.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 8 months ago

Nah man. I'm pretty used to people saying stupid things to the fat guy. My BP only goes up when I have KSU fans in my face!

741hawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Excellent post. Let me add that people forget how Lew undercut Mangino's authority and leadership with that players-only meeting prior to the Colorado game. It's amazing that the Phat Man (w/ affection) held the rest of the season together as well as he did.

MDHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

You must have no idea what it's like to be obese. I myself lost 80 pounds in high school after tipping the scales at 270 as a sophomore, and now I've parlayed that success into a career in medicine. If you think that people who are obese aren't capable of looking out for the physical well-being of others, you are sorely mistaken. The problem with many folks is that they misconstrue the battle with obesity as merely a fault of will-power and/or concern with being healthy, and again, they are sorely mistaken. As one who has fought the battle himself and has helped many others do the same, I feel compelled to rebuke you. Condescending, irresponsible opinions like that you just espoused are some of the fiercest enemies folks struggling with obesity have to face. After years of having that garbage hammered into their mind by ignorant people, its no wonder the success rate of losing weight is so minimal. I sure hope you don't work in healthcare.

That said, while I'm impressed with what Mangino did at KU, his time here is done. I'm still pulling for TG...while I'm as fed up as the rest of the folks here with the negative record-setting, I'm more inclined to give TG at least 1 more year to figure it out.

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

“Athletics may be the front porch of an institution like KU, but the libraries are the foundation. I strongly believe you can judge the greatness of a university by the success of its libraries.” – Mark Mangino

johnnyhrdwd 8 years, 9 months ago

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, they could keep Turner around and put him in charge of Coach Mangino's towels ...

Excellent idea!

Michael Leiker 8 years, 9 months ago

If you think that sounds racist you are a racist.

Brak 8 years, 9 months ago

Lets not forget his Big 12 record while here was only 23-41, not exactly the record of a legend. Also under his reign KU was responsible for 5 major recruiting violations that resulted in numerous sanctions including the loss of a couple scolarships for a couple years. Not gonna happen.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 9 months ago

Jesus, it's the big xii...we're Kansas. 23-41 is not exactly something to shake a stick at if you're competitive in a lot of those losses. Orange Bowl titles ARE the things of legend if you are a football coach at KU.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 9 months ago

Best coach in KUFB history was George Sauer, 1946-1947, 15-3-3 in the two years he coached KU before getting hired away by Navy back when Navy and Army were big dogs. Tied for the Big Six title both years.

texashawk10 8 years, 9 months ago

Best coach in KU history is actually Fielding Yost.

142466 8 years, 9 months ago

I liked Jack Mitchell during the first half of his tenure. Several good years.

I also liked Fambrough. Most of his teams, during both his 1st and 2d terms, at a time when Big 8 football reigned supreme, were decent. Both Mizzou (by firing Al Onofrio) & KU (by firing Fambrough, twice) were foolish. I thought that then and have not changed my mind. Both schools mistakenly decided that 5 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins, year after year was't good enough.

Big 8 football history is the exploits of the Big 2 and the frustrations of the Little 6.

Creation of the Big 12 ousted Nebraska from its pedistal and inserted UT. I'm surprised that the Huskers didn't exit sooner than they did.

It would be satisfying, to me antway, if we could find some replacement school(s) that could consistently challenge OU and UT. I'm not hopeful, though. NU, CU, and MU couldn't do it. Maybe BYU, from the west, and WVU from the east could.

hawk316 8 years, 8 months ago

leikness, were you responding to Brak's comments or praying?

My take on Mangino: no question he enjoyed some success at KU. Of course, he was the beneficiary of one of the greatest quarterbacks in school history. A great qb covers over a multitude of sins. Still, Mangino deserves credit for recruiting him and pulling his redshirt when he did.

Would I want him back? Although I certainly believe in second chances (we all need grace, my friends!), I think we need to give Gill a fighting chance to turn around this program (that takes more than 1+ seasons). Remember, Mangino suffered through a number of very embarrassing losses at KU, too. Because he wasn't fired after all those losses, he began to see some success eventually. Patience, my friends.

Joel Hood 8 years, 9 months ago

The man was a bully. He bullied his players. He bullied his assistant coaches. He bullied administrative staff. He bullied student employees not assoicated with athletics. He bullied his own family members in public. (Don't confuse bully with disciplinarian - one does not equate the other.)

Yes he won. He was also an embarrassment for many reasons not related to his weight. I want to win too, but not with someone with his character flaws.

Phoghorn 8 years, 9 months ago

"Don't confuse bully with disciplinarian - one does not equate the other"

YES, that is exactly my sentiments. For good role models, see Coach Self and Coach Gill. Both are able to provide discipline in a manner that does not reflect poorly on themselves or on KU. Both have given the boot to troublemakers, but neither have been troublemakers themselves. Coach Self obviously has the respect of his players and this has undoubtedly been a major part of his success here at KU. Hopefully we will be saying the same thing about Coach Gill in a couple years.

CardHawkFan 8 years, 9 months ago

As a person who shares your great name, I agree with you Joel. However, you could use the same sentences to describe what our opposition has done to us the past two seasons. I am not saying hire Mangino back and I am not saying TG can't be the guy for us. I just really hope that KU at least ponders this, though. His character flaws and past indiscretions should not be discarded or discounted. But, I think Zenger is that type of athletic director that would keep these things in check on down to the physical image Mangino presents. Might be a good fit...

Mike Ardis 8 years, 9 months ago

Matt,

I don't know if you can, or want to, get into this, but as a fan reading the comments I wondered what really happened with Mangino. How accurate is what jayhawkerjoel (and others) said? Was Mangino really a bully? How did others in the athletic department view him? How did most players view him?

Phoghorn 8 years, 9 months ago

• 25,462

I really doubt that Coach Mangino was fired for just poking somebody in the chest. Either somebody above him had personal disagreements with him, or he really did something terrible that has not been (fully) disclosed. Regardless, I suspect that there is much more information sitting in a file cabinet that has not been released to the press.

ku_foaf 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't know the real truth, although a couple of guys tough enough to make it to the NFL did not have kind things to say about him...

I also really doubt it would've come up if that 7 game skid had not occurred.

shelleysue 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree. I would like to know because I like Mangino and LOVE the fact that he helped make KU football fun - how many times have we been able to say that? Personally, I tend to question something I don't witness myself. Joel - do you know these things for a FACT? Not blowing up here and there, or something taken out of context, not passing the heat onto staff because he was getting the heat, not coming down hard on players who weren't doing their job. I mean SERIOUS wrong doing.

I find it hard to believe that he was that much worse than every other coach out there - and that is exactly what anti-Manginos would have us all believe. Also, in my opinion - repeat - this is just MY OPINION - Lew wanted him gone for whatever reason (before these allegations), and found a way to do it.

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Ok OU can have mangino and we"ll take Brent Venables!

rolo2383 8 years, 9 months ago

No thanks. Gill needs at least one more year and if Gill's not the guy then we can do a lot better than MM.

LSHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree. Give Gill another year and if he fails then go get somebody that can really build a great program.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Dear Lord - here's the article I've been dreading.

Nothing but Mangino Madness from here on out.

My guess is that, given his awesome record, Oklahoma will IMMEDIATELY oust Stoops and bring the big man into Norman.

Of course, they'll have to battle Texas, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma State, and every other big name college out there - they will ALL be chomping at the bit to land the Coach of the Century.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 9 months ago

Exactly why MM was and always will be the perfect fit at KU. None of those schools want him, but he's good enough to get us to a level we have traditionally been unaccustomed to being at.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

That's definitely a glass half full way of looking at it !

Lance Cheney 8 years, 9 months ago

He got us to mediocrity and then plateaued (plateau'd?). I loved the Orange Bowl victory, but let's not forget that we didn't have to play OU, Texas, or TT (who was in their prime) that year. We have to admit that was a cake schedule...

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Icjayhawk - you hit the nail on the head.

I guess what leikness is trying to say is that KU football is terrible enough to settle for Mangino, but not so terrible that we should have to settle for Turner Gill. ??

As long as we can win 5 or 6 games a year, except for one year where we had some exceptional athletes and about as weak a schedule as anybody in the nation, then that's good enough huh?

Here's an idea - if we don't keep Gill around for the long run, how about we go hire someone who can actually make a difference here? Let's don't settle again.

You think if Self ever leaves that we're going to rush over to Manhattan and swoop up Frank Martin? Probably not.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

At this point I'd take a monkey smoking a cigarette while typing if it ment Turner was gone!

OKHawkFan 8 years, 9 months ago

Interestingly enough researchers did the very same thing called the Vivaria Project. Guess how many words the monkeys produced. NONE. I guess you would prefer zip to 5 wins in 1 1/2 seasons?

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

I wonder what would of happened if they gave the monkeys a guaranteed contract worth 10 million bananas?

tiredoflawrence 8 years, 9 months ago

People just need to chill out and realize that Gill took over a team without talent! His recruits are merely sophmores and it takes most coaches at least 4 years to get their guys in position to win. Kansas is a bball school and always has been, football is just not that important here.

texashawk10 8 years, 9 months ago

Let KSU take Mangino if they're dumb enough to do that, KU will beat KSU 9 out of 10 times with Mangino coaching KSU regardless of who's coaching at KU. His offense was only good when Todd Reesing was playing and the defense was only good with Bill Young in charge. Bill Young and Todd Reesing are responsible for Mangino's success and the one year Reesing played and Young was DC was the Orange Bowl year. With just Bill Young, KU had the defense to compete with anybody, but the offenses weren't up to par. With just Reesing, KU had the offense to compete with anybody, but the defense couldn't stop anybody either.

Lance Cheney 8 years, 9 months ago

In Todd We Trust. Sorry to push my religious beliefs on a public forum.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 8 months ago

If you credit Bill Young for Mangino's success you have to credit Mangino as well because he got BY to come to KU. By your line of reasoning, please explain what Mangino would have had to do to get credit for the successes of those teams.

justinryman 8 years, 9 months ago

My gut feeling is that Mangio segregated the fans. You either liked him or you didn't.

Sure we all liked him when he was winning, but I don't remember anybody saying to keep him when he was in the middle of losing 7 in a row.

And for those of you that want to bring him back, lets see, he is already getting paid by the University for his payout, so he would be double dipping the ole paychecks if he was rehired.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 9 months ago

I wanted to keep him in the midst of a 7-game losing streak. I know plenty of others did as well. I wasn't happy with it, but the man deserved some time ... you know for the things he had done while on the sidelines - Win asst. coach of the year - Win a national championship - Beating Nebraska - Going 3-1 in Bowl Games - Winning coach of the year - Win an Orange Bowl

The same reason so many are calling for Gills' head, the things he's don on the sidelines: - Going 20-30 at Buffalo (14-18 in the mean MAC) - Losing to a D2 school (don't care about the new names) in his first game - Fielding the worst defense in D1 - Getting destroyed by all teams with a pulse (GT last year THE one exception)

I don't actually want to fire Gill. BUT you're damn right he segregated the fans. The guy who fired him 1. didn't hire him 2. isn't around to defend anything 3. appeared to lead the charge 4. had his own issues that didnt help etc.
and then this is the product we are seeing on the field.

Anyone who isn't pissed with the whole situation needs to check their 'fandom' because there should be expectations in the big 12, expectations of winning and being competitive. Period.

Also a 0% chance KU ever hires him again.

KUbsee69 8 years, 9 months ago

I wanted to keep him. Your memory is not so good.

justinryman 8 years, 9 months ago

What I remember is people saying to keep him after the allegations came out about his treatment of some players and coaches.

Nobody was happy with his coaching decisions when he was losing 7 games they were questioning how he was handling the injury of Reesing and what had happened to the high powered offense from the year before. Questioning why run three pass plays inside your own 10 against MU when you have the lead.

As for selective memory....when did he win a NC kueric???? I know he had nothing to do with the basketball team so that isn't it!!!!

Eric Harrison 8 years, 9 months ago

2000 National Championship, offensive coordinator at Oklahoma.

And yes, people were questioning some of his coaching decisions but his teams were close, competitive and who's to say the team the following year wouldn't have fallen in line with the 'dictator' and been better than Turner Gill's first debacle/year.

justinryman 8 years, 9 months ago

And who says that lawsuits wouldn't have been issued against him as well if he would have stayed another year? Maybe they lose all their games the next year? Maybe there would be major recruiting violations?

If "ands" and "buts" were candy and nuts we would all have a very merry Christmas.

We can all guess what we think could have happened, but we will never know until it actually happens.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 9 months ago

Nice cop out with the IF game, but any reasonable football mind would have expected, assumed and demanded better than a 3-9 record with 2 fluke wins and loss to NDSt from the fat man.

As for your lawsuit ... if one would have been filed, then it might have been reason to fire a coach 2 years removed from being the Coach of the Year. The man has talent and even those who don't want a 'fat, mean, inappropriate' head coach can't deny him talent and success on the field (no it's not Jim Tressel or Bill Snyder, but considering it was at Kansas after Mason ... it's undeniable talent [plus what he did at OU])

justinryman 8 years, 9 months ago

I followed up after your "but" with my "ifs".

So there's a wash.

I never said Mangino wasn't a good coach, and yes he got a lot out of his players. And you are right, they would have expected more from a coach of the year than a 3-9 record. Who says he would have gotten it though?

Do I think Gill is the guy to turn KU back around to winning ways? Not now. But I gave him a chance unlike so many others.

And you act as if Mangino left a fully loaded team for Gill when he got here. Not so fast, again all that talent that won the Orange Bowl the year before lost 7 in a row under him.

As for looking at what he did at OU, what about Chuck Long?

The blame game can go on and on and on. We are Kansas. Mangino had to use Allen's players. Gill had nobody coming back. Gill wasn't the right guy. Mangino was mean. And around and around where it stops nobody knows.

I'm not saying your right, nor that you are wrong. I'm stating by thoughts just as you are yours. What's wrong with that?

Fred Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

I read this article this morning, and when I first saw the headline, I thought it was a joke, because, while Ben Reiter is a great writer, and I respect the topic, KU does NOT need to bring back Mangino, pure and simple.

I like Mangino, I think he was a good fit at the time and KU what it could out of him, because after the Orange Bowl year, KU was a very mediocre football team that did not meet expectations - as Mangino teams rarely did - and for one glorious year, they exceeded expectations beyond everyone's wildest dreams, and hey, that was a lot of fun. But let's be real - the KU-Mangino era ran its course and there's no reason to bring him back.

He was very ordinary during his time at KU save for the magical season, and in fact, as I've argued, the Orange Bowl year was an outlier, as they went 12-1 and 7-1 in the conference. Outside of a 4-4 conference finish the next year, a Mark Mangino-coached KU team never finished with a .500 record in his other six seasons at the helm. In fact, in eight years at KU, Mangino finished with a 23-41 conference record at KU. Que?

And that was with the Big 12 North.

I understand he had a great run, and he - err - rather his assistants struck recruiting GOLD with Reesing, Meier, Talib and Collins to name a few - but once he ran off his assistants, the recruiting dropped off dramatically - I think we can all attest to that, and TGill certainly didn't send the Big Guy any thank you notes for what he left - or didn't leave behind.

And while we're here, let's tackle the White Elephant in the room, unless he's dropped 200-pounds, and by all indications he hasn't, then why is KU bringing back an obese man to lead its football program? I've talked to plenty of college football coaches and players and the consensus is having someone as rotund as Mangino as the FACE of your football program simply isn't good. If this guy was a Bill Belichick type of talent, then yeah, he could get away with it. But he's not.

Listen, Mark Mangino is a great football mind, and he had a good run at the University of Kansas. But let's save the comparison to Bill Snyder, it's apples and oranges. Bill Snyder is an ALL-TIME GREAT. Mangino had one GREAT season. That's it. Turner Gill was clearly the wrong hire. We can all agree on that, and I've talked to plenty of football people who agree.

"You can't bring the Bible to the football field," said one former Jayhawk-footballer I spoke to about Turner's approach.

Mangino had a good run at KU, sure he's learned a lot, wouldn't expect anything less. But that ship has sailed, and don't let the failure of TGill get everybody all "nostalgic" over the Mangino years. Get rid of TGill unless the defense suddenly starts playing well, and that's as likely as Mangino running a 5K tomorrow in less than 20 minutes, and focus on hiring a good football coach who can represent the school in a healthy, professional and winning fashion.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 9 months ago

+1 million I agree with this completely. I wanted to hear form MM and I hope to see him succeed on the sidelines. But its not going to happen at KU. And me wishing him well AND criticizing Turner Gill doesn't make me an anti-KU fan. In my own humble opinion it makes me intelligent (and by that I mean competent and not blind).

I liked Mark Mangino a lot, but he doesn't belong at Kansas again except for Orange Bowl reunions. I pray that Turner Gill creates a dynasty but it's not going to happen and I think we all know that deep down, he belongs at Kansas at a parent of a student or as a fan and little more. With our donations, ticket and apparel purchases, tuition and tax dollars, etc. we have every right to expect, demand and hope for a real football coach.

SaltLakeHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I know it gets old bashing on writers and the quality of their columns, but I just read Reiter's column... wow. Just terrible.

It's full of grammatical errors and mangled sentences. I'm NOT a "grammar nazi." Grammatical errors, in and of themselves, don't bother me. I'm bothered by what they usually indicate: that the writer didn't put enough time and thought into the article. Reiter's half-baked ideas confirm that. Anyone with half a brain knows Mangino isn't coming back to KU (for better or worse). No way in hell.

Matt Tait is right, Reiter got a big interview. But he screwed it up by writing pure crap afterwards.

Omari Miller 8 years, 9 months ago

What were Mangino's records during his first and final seasons? I loved cheering the 'Hawks to bowl victories, but does anyone remember the futility and aggravation we felt behind seeing all those shovel passes to a 60% Jake Sharp that went for 1 yard? How about that penalty-aided kickoff we had from the K-State 35, or whatever, that went damn near over the so-called Octagon of Doom because we couldn't kick an onside ball? I can't remember. Were recruits lining up to come to Lawrence as Mangino's players revolted on him?

I'm such a KU fan, I tend to be a homer, but I'm not a revisionist. We had a few years in between that ranged from good to incredible. But to compare Mangino's eventual success against (and forget his final failure) where we are with Gill now is myopic and unreasonable. Gill is already putting strong recruiting classes together... despite the current KU football culture (fans leaving games even when we're leading at the half, smallish stadium, cries for the head coach's head after the first season, writers for the local paper urging the opposition to hang 100 on the home team, etc.). He lost his DC before the season and he doesn't really have interior D-linemen... and the defense looked like it, but appears to be making improvements. His top receiver from last year is out for the season, his starting QB is tons better, and the running game is pretty darn good.

I'm a huge KU fan... always have been. And I think that means being a realist at times like these. Gill isn't going anywhere until at least the end of year three... and I think that's the way it should be. Let his underclassmen beasts develop and see what happens. He's building the program in the way everyone says is right. Let's give him a chance to win with it. If no real improvement by next season, get someone else in and we start the cycle over, looking for better results.

actorman 8 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, omari, for being one of the few others to point out the idiocy of some of MM's decisions. I've been saying for years that, as much as he did to make KU competitive, it didn't do much good because we lost so many close games as a result of stupid things he did at the ends of the games. In fact, I have never seen a coach who's worse at time management. He simply did not know how to handle the clock at the end of a game. And that doesn't even get into all the off-field things he did to embarrass the program.

Good riddance, and thank God he's not coming back.

The jury may still be out on TG, and if he doesn't work out so be it. But just about anyone would be better than rehiring Mangino.

Robert Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

Compared to Turner Gill, the Mangino days seems like Nebraska in the mid-1990s. The best he was able to do is elevate KU to maybe the 6th or 7th best team in the Big 12. Since KU football is not a destination job, it always surprised me that Mangino's name was rarely mentioned as a candidate to coach some higher level programs. I think that says alot.

When you are clearly the worst as we are today, that now seems like a great place to be. The Orange Bowl year was magical, but there were alot of stars aligning just right to make that happen. After that year, KU was never able to stop any team with a reasonable offense and that has carried over to the catastrophic defense we have today.

I say that TG gets one more year and if we have another bad year, we need to find someone else. Mangino is not the guy.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 9 months ago

There wasn't a game that was less than 50-50 going into that year. Did we catch some breaks to get the OB and win it? Yes. But I had Big12 championship game on my mind that year.

The year we went to the Ft Worth Bowl we were a few plays away from a Cotton Bowl.

Why do we think the one year was a fluke (it appears that way now, because of where we are now ... not because of where we had been the previous 3 years which was on a very clear, defined upward path of improvement)

63Jayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Mark Mangino was an embarrassment to THE University of Kansas. I do not care what his record was. It is about character. I wanted him gone when he was winning. I would be disappointed to see him back in the state of Kansas at any school. If he has learned his lesson and changed his ways, I'm glad for him. However I am extremely skeptical that he can really control that temper. For his sake, I hope he proves my skepticism is unfounded.

We have a football coach. No need to talk about replacing him.

actorman 8 years, 9 months ago

Good luck with that dream, HawkfromHays. While you're at it, I've got some swampland to sell you.

escaped_labrat 8 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree with HawkfromHays....I'd like to see someone loyal and in between the two extremes with a slight edge for discipline....it appears nobody has figured it out as KU immitates politics...one extreme or another, there is never compromise

Joe Ross 8 years, 9 months ago

In my old age, I comment a whole lot less. Time for the young bucks to weigh in with their vim and vigor. But I return to offer this comment, because it is absolutely necessary that fans have the appropriate perspective. I submit to you the lesson that Kansas State has learned; namely, that a coach makes all the difference in the world. As you all WELL know, KSU was dominant under Snyder. Ron Prince was brought in and the program went to hell. Snyder returns and prominence is reestablished. Look people, offer your wayward perspectives if you wish, but don't be ignorant of the facts. It is a FACT that Mark Mangino is a better coach than Turner Gill. If Mangino returns, which is possible given Perkins' exit and the current state of the football program at Kansas, the Jayhawks will regain prominence just as Kansas State did. You want the program to suck indefinitely? Then keep Turner Gill. You want to win more bowl games? Then take your head out of your fifth point of contact and petition Mangino's return. This ain't rocket science. And Ill just go on record and state the obvious: those who would keep Gill over Mangino are just plain stupid. If putting it so bluntly causes you angst, then I'm sorry, but I will not pretend to be ignorant on account of your hurt feelings. So what of Mangino's antics before? Well, for one, this is football. If as a player you can't stand a little grabbing on the collar, then you should suit up in pink and try out for the volleyball squad. If you can't handle the yelling, then I suggest you try out for Kansas Crew. FOOTBALL, people! FOOTBALL! It's a MAN'S sport, see? I guarantee you that a heavy dose of manhood is what's necessary to transform these no-name-on-the-back-of-their-jersey-curfew-obligated cupcakes into MEN. Men are required to play a man's sport, and if Mangino NEVER changed it would all be well and good. Bring football back to Kansas! Re-hire Mangino and watch good things happen. I'm out...

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 9 months ago

Mangino needs to hook up with Anna Kournikova on her new TV show-The Biggest Loser!

actorman 8 years, 9 months ago

"If as a player you can't stand a little grabbing on the collar, then you should suit up in pink and try out for the volleyball squad."

And what if his assistant coaches, secretaries, and people who have nothing to do with the team can't stand being abused? Should they also be trying out for the volleyball squad?

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 9 months ago

If he told a player that he was going to send him home to get shot by his homies, it would be difficult to embrace Mangino let alone bring him back as a coach.

Joe Ross 8 years, 9 months ago

So let's get a PC football coach and they will SURELY make a change we can believe in. Oh wait, we have. Turner Gill.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 9 months ago

As the head man he would have every right to demand excellence from his players, his assistants, his secretaries and his water boys.
If they don't like it they can file a lawsuit (you know something official and legal not a witch hunt). Or they can find another place of work (including transfer to Coach Bechard and the volleyball team).

I've had incompetent bosses and I've had mean ones who yell and aren't PC along with good nice ones. It's called work. While most of us would love to work around the football team these people do and it's just a job. They work for a paycheck like you and me.

And players should know what they are getting into when they sign a scholarship/get recruited. Why do you think so many quit when Mangino came? They weren't used to that kind of hard work and discipline. I would assume (and it's completely my assumption) that is also why people who were thinking of quitting came back under Gill. It was easy and soft - like our play on the field.

Funhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Mangino’s second year was 2003. Being the second year, the team was mostly players recruited by the prior KU coach. We ended up tying for 4th in the Big XII North. Our conference record was 3-5. After losing the Tangerine Bowl, we had a losing record for the season. North Carolina State’s quarterback absolutely killed us and the Wolfpack scored 56 points on us. Their quarterback passed for 481 yards against us.

Mangino’s third year was 2004. He finished 4-7, tying for 5th in the Big XII North at a conference record of 2-6. When KU played Texas Tech that year, KU had a 25 point lead in the second quarter, went stagnant in the second half because Mangino decided to start throwing the ball. We ended up losing to Texas Tech in that game after having a big lead.

Mangino’s final year was 1-7 in conference with senior playmakers, losing the last six games. Not good. Mangino’s final KU record was 50 wins and 48 losses. Conference record was 23-41 with even a losing record against the North teams. Of the 24 games playing Big XII South teams, we lost 20 of them. Not good, but thank goodness for a bottom-dweller Baylor. These are not necessarily fun numbers, so I will end the Mangino numbers there. Hasn't KU had better coaches with better numbers than Mangino's poor numbers?

Joe Ross 8 years, 9 months ago

...and Mangino lost to an FCS school at home, right? And Mangino lost to an FCS school period, right? And Mangino broke records for poorest performances at Kansas, right? And Mangino took our program to new heights of embarrassment, right? Stupid comment. -100.

actorman 8 years, 9 months ago

Excellent points, funhawk. And let's also not forget that in that infamous game against TT, Mangino decided to go for two when KU had that 30-5 lead. I asked one of the players later why he had gone for two then, and he told me that none of the players had the nerve to ask. I think that comment alone speaks volumes.

Joe Ross 8 years, 9 months ago

Hmm...obviously Mangino was trying to throw the game.

actorman 8 years, 9 months ago

It's that kind of well-reasoned comment that gives credibility to all the rest of your comments, jross.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

Not to mention we had a 20 point lead in the first quarter against TT at home earlier this year and Turner has only 1 big 12 win in almost 2 years.

babyjay1 8 years, 9 months ago

Yea, let's bring MM back... I mean, we've all noticed how sought after he's been since fired at KU , right? No thanks... Not saying HCTG is the right guy or the wrong guy. He seems like a great recruiter but one with questionable "coaching up" skills. Beat KSU on Sat and he gets a little more time from me! If HCTG cannot cut it, MM is not the answer!

Joe Ross 8 years, 9 months ago

Yeah...all we have to do is beat the 12-ranked team in the nation! Yeah, that's it! That's all.

Seriously? Seriously?

Have you even seen the margin of defeats lately? WOW! I guarantee you that at the post-game news conference Gill is gonna talk about progress and getting better. Seriously. What is so difficult about understanding that Gill is not the man to turn the program around at Kansas? WHAT!

142466 8 years, 9 months ago

As soon as I saw the title of Tait's article, without having read any further, my being was overcome by an inner voice urging, "Bring him back. Bring him back."

NOVAhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I'd take him back in a heartbeat but I don't think he would come. He got screwed the first time, so why would he?

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

I just got back from watching every game in that 1-7 big12 season that everyone harps on and not once did the opposing team pull it's starters midway through the second quarter because the game was in hand.

Just saying

djhawk75 8 years, 9 months ago

...and you also did not see KU win any of those games.

Just saying

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

Average margin of loss in mangino's games: 14pts (with OU, UT, and a highly ranked TT team)

Average margin of loss in turners games: to high to count (without OU, UT, and TT)

djhawk75 8 years, 9 months ago

Why is this even a subject to talk about? Mangino is just one of many coaches who was able to find some success in running a college football program but could not sustain it. Then when Mangino left KU the talent on the team was sparse. We need to move on from the Mangino years one way or another.

tychi_jayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Am I the only one that remembers all the sucky Mangino years?

2002 2-10 0-8,
2003 6-7 3-5,
2004 4-7 2-6,
2005 7-5 3-5,
2006 6-6 3-5,
2007 12-1 7-1, 2008 8-5 4-4, 2009 5-7 1-7

Not really the stuff of legendary head coaches. We have that one miracle season when the football scheduling gods smiled on us. That was it. There was no consistency. Zero.

So by Mangino math, Gill should get at least 6 years! Come on guys. At least give him HALF the chance Mangino had.

142466 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree that Gill deserves more time, if for no other reason than to not scare away possible successors.

As for Mangino's overall record and bowl game winnings, he is near the top of all KU FB coaches. I've followed KU sports for more than 60years. I

KUAlum2000 8 years, 9 months ago

By sucky years, you mean the ones that we went to a bowl game that wasn't the Orange Bowl, right? Please expand your analysis to outside the Mangino years and count how many other bowl games we have been to.

Fred Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

While I clearly stand against bringing Mangino back, let's not forget what he did for KU football. The guy took KU to a bowl game in four of his eight seasons and had KU in Bowl contention - got screwed in 2006 with a 6-6 record - in two other seasons, so The Big Guy did put a quality product on the field, it just never got over the hump save for the Orange Bowl season. He was not an embarrassment to the University, he put KU football on the map, which is why the fan base is ready to call it a day with TGill. Not to mention, in his second season at KU, 2003, with Whittemore at the helm, Mangino took KU to a bowl game with Terry Allen's talent and only one of his recruiting classes. This team won't sniff a Bowl this year and will be lucky to win another game.

The end was ugly for Mangino at Kansas, but don't let that cloud what the man did. In some ways, when you look at what Mangino did, if circumstances were different, I could see where KU might bring him back. They brought Fambrough back, and he was BELOVED, yet honestly, Fambrough didn't have the success Mangino did. But it won't happen.

My choice to replace Gill?

Dave Doeren from N. Illinois... You want to resurrect the football program and give it to somebody who I believe would put in the time and knows what it would take - and has had success at KU already? Doeren is the man. He's a Miege guy, is from the area, he's had success at UNI, he was an assistant at Wisconsin, he knows defense, he has a good offensive staff, he can recruit - Dave Doeren is the guy KU needs to hire as their next football coach.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 9 months ago

Replace gill with one of the few coaches he beat?!?!?!?

Why not the new Mexico state head coach or Dan Hawkins? Or, and I know it would be a step down from his current school, but maybe the NDSU coach would consider taking the job.

Fred Davis 8 years, 9 months ago

That's right. Dave Doeren. And I'll say it again. He's 4-3, he's in his first year there, he's going to do big things. And he'd be a great fit for Kansas. Who cares if KU beat them, it took them until the last play to do it, and that was by far KU's best effort of the season.

Save me the lame jokes and suggestions, Dave Doeren would be a great hire for Kansas.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 8 months ago

Winning the OB is not getting over the hump?

milehighhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

The advantage Mangino had was that nobody expected anything from him in his first two years at KU and didn't really mind that K-State smoked us by 100 in those years combined.

Gill didn't have that advantage even though the cupboard was barren when he arrived and he now is forced to play each team in the B12 instead of having a dream schedule on certain years.

I don't think anyone should be satisfied by the way things are going at the moment. That said, no reasonable person would suggest that after 1.5 seasons we should can the guy. Gill can recruit. No reason to render judgment before we see what he can do with the talent he brings in next season.

"If you're gonna ask me to cook dinner, at least let me shop for the groceries" --Bill Parcells

Joe Ross 8 years, 9 months ago

To all these people bashing Mangino's teams, I've got news for ya. You ain't never in your whole life saw a coach with a better performance at Kansas. Soup to nuts. Get over yourselves.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I think we should bring back Mark Mangino

And George Bush

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

lol - yeah, that was kind of uncalled for, huh?

Ludwig Supraphonic 8 years, 9 months ago

In hindsight, Harry Truman was a pretty good President. Why doesn't his name come up as a 2012 possibility? Because it is a dead issue and will never happen regardless of how much some people hope.

colreader 8 years, 9 months ago

Mangino should apply at Ben & Jerry's.

sactownhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

holy crap people, KU does not have the option of only two coaches in the entire world. If Gill isn't the man, so be it, but that in itself does not make Mangino the better coach. And how are more people not talking about Bill Young as the reason to all of Mangino's success? Because that's what it was. Young made the defense incredible, he left, defense sucked again. I can't believe two years later some of you can't look back at a person's career analytically. So Gill may have been a reach (but it's only been 1.5 years, no coach has ever turned around a so talentless roster that quickly) that does NOT make Mangino the man, and if he were to come back I would be freaking flabbergasted, yes flabbergasted, probably disgusted as well because I tend to appreciate this thing called "having good morals," I actually value it.

Kevin Kelly 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't care who did what to who physically and who called who a name. He lost his players during the season! No one is going to hire a guy who, for whatever reason you want to invent to fit your already decided outcome, who's players laid down a whole half a season.

These are kids who's houses he sat in and people he convinced to come to KU. You can blame the kids all you want but that crap happened and I don't ever want to see it again. He's the captian and believe it or not...avoiding mutiny is in the job description.

lonestar 8 years, 9 months ago

Oh my God! Seems as if many of you would actually be in favor of bringing back that morbidly obese master of mediocrity. As a fan base is that the best we can hope for? What outrageously superior resources have OU or Nebraska had all these years that KU does not have that we accept mediocrity as a goal while they expect excellence? The Orange Bowl season was fun but achieved under the most mitigating of circumstances and if you dont think so there is no helping you. Bring back Mangina indeed. He is the best we have a right to hope for?

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

Where were you at the beginning lonestar? Why didn't you warn us this would happen? Oh that's right, you were one of those KU basketball fans / K-State football fans.

lonestar = KU football fan circa 2007

If it weren't for Mark Mangino, you wouldn't even be talking about football right now you ungrateful moron.

lonestar 8 years, 9 months ago

Martyr my boy, out of my post where do you derive that I am a "fan circa 2007". I dont know how many winters you have seen come and go in your life but I have been privy to the mediocrity and futility that is KU football since the early 70's and aware of the sterling reputation KU enjoyed historically before that.

KU basketball fan, check. Fan of K-State football success relative to KU's the last 20 years or so and envious, check. When there is something to be grateful for other than 1 season achieved with smoke and mirrors wake me. In the meantime why dont you respond to the post instead of making assumptions and drooling on your keyboard. Instead of trying to defend the merits of eating bologna every day for lunch in the past and how tasty it would be again in the future why dont you raise your expectations a little you despicable CHUMP.

MartyrMangino 8 years, 8 months ago

lonestar, i'll do my best to round up a boutineer for you. You are obviously a long time fan and since you claim to have higher expectations than me, you are also obviously a better fan than me. I can see why you like Turner Gill though. He is optimistic like you, and promises lots of things that he won't be able to deliver on. Mangino just kept up the grind and KU became ranked 2 in country. Say what you want about smoke and mirrors, but that implys that 300+ programs were in on our smoke and mirrors for us to be above all but one. If you are such a long time fan, do you not understand by now how much it takes to elevate our football program? It doesn't seem like you do because otherwise you wouldn't disparage Mark Mangino, who is the person who put football in your vocabulary.

lonestar 8 years, 8 months ago

OK. Enough already. I dont think I am a better fan etc. etc. I assure you it was not Mangino who put football in my vocabulary. Probably Nolan Cromwell and Lavern Smith. Mangino was better than some but that is not saying much. You and I will not agree on Manginos long term viability as football coach. The world will keep on spinning in spite of this I suppose. The nurse's aide is wheeling the cart in my room now for my ensure and sleeping pill so I must bid you farewell. Good day sir.

Chris Bruning 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm on board the Turner Gill ship all the way. He is gonna have Jayhawks football where it needs to be real soon.

lama 8 years, 9 months ago

Mangino was done -- all of his best assistants had left by the end, turning a very good staff into a weak one (Clint Bowen anyone?). His recruiting was weak -- especially coming off two bowl seasons. Our defense shows it now. He had a nice run -- time to move on. Sweet Lew bungled the entire deal -- should have had a better Plan B when Harbaugh inevitably said no than TG.

sactownhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

yep, mangino was reesing and his assistants. The only reason Reesing even came was because we offered when no one (legitimate schools) else offered. Yes, good job on Mangino taking a chance, but once he lost his staff he lost the players. I don't know how people don't see this. And Gill already has recruited better than Mangino

lama 8 years, 9 months ago

Coming off a BCS win, we should have had a dominant class -- we didn't. Bill Young tired of Mangino's act and followed the other assistants out the door, leaving us with Joe Bob, Clint et al.

How's that Pac-10 prediction working for you, clown?

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

So lama, given your line of reasoning, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Stanford, and TCU all should have dominant recruiting classes coming in here? I mean, they went to a BCS bowl! That's all that can possibly be a factor in recruiting! Thank you for your membership as a KU football fan since 2007. You may go back to being a K-State football fan and a KU basketball fan now.

lama 8 years, 8 months ago

Nice try...I remember the Bud Moore days! You are a little naive if you don't think that success should boost recruiting.

lama 8 years, 8 months ago

Forgive me for ignoring your highly uninformed comments about conference realignment, higher education etc.

Tulane -- seriously?

And rehire Mangino? Time to dial up the real world.

hawkfan30 8 years, 9 months ago

In his second year following a horrible 1st season TG brings in the #2 recruiting class since 2002 at KU. The 2011 class ranked #34.

MM's top class was ranked #31and that was the 2009 class. It took an Orange Bowl win in January of 2008 to get this class. MM's first class was ranked #39.

Now the jury is still out on whether or not TG can bring in this type of class year after year or even improve on the class ranking but I'd like to at least give him another year to see, as well as see if he can do anything with this talent.

MartyrMangino 8 years, 9 months ago

Lest you forget, we had also not built the new football facilities to demonstrate that we as a university were serious about football. I think it was a miracle we had the #31 class considering the facts. Gill has always stood on the shoulders of Mark Mangino. Maybe people don't realize this, but we can't recruit the coasts in football, we can't recruit the best players in Texas, Kansas doesn't make very good football players, and despite all that, Mangino got us to this point where we feel entitled enough to complain about a subpar recruiting class. Shame on you all for belittling the man who is the sole reason for your lofty expectations.

lonestar 8 years, 8 months ago

Kevin Kelly 8 years, 8 months ago

You said "His recruiting was weak?" and I pointed to the worst team I've seen in a long time....the team was coached by Gill...but that's a seperate argument.

The 2010 team was recruited by Mangino. Its not hard to follow logic. You didn't ask for proof that Gill was a bad coach...you asked for proof that Mangino was a poor recruiter.

And before you start...we didn't loose last year because of poor coaching. We lost the same reason we are loosing now...everyone is 3 steps faster than us. Last year it was at every single position...now its only 1/3 of the positions.

I feel that Gill is the answer but I don't know for sure yet. I sure as hell don't hold a candle for MM. That guy's team was getting in rumbles during the school day and laying down for opponents on the weekend.

Eric Harrison 8 years, 8 months ago

I don't fully disagree with you NEJhawk. Oklahoma State, Baylor, Oklahoma, etc. all recruit 4-5 Star guys with all of the physical tools in the world. Kansas State and Bill Snyder however, do not. Mangino was more of a program guy like his mentor (and some might argue Big Game Bob was for his 2000 NC).
What you don't see is KState with a slower team getting clobbered or even losing. It is the coach that makes all the difference in the world. All of the Gill supporters keep talking about his recruiting. The guy isn't Ed Ogeron raking in top 15 recruiting classes, he recruits middle of the pack BXII talent (accordig to recruiting sources which YES is an improvement over Mangino and just about anyone else we;ve ever had). BUT our talent will almost never be better than Texas and Oklahoma so we would need 1 of 2 things to 1. Chemistry - that 'it' factor that makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Which I personally don't get from the word believe repeated over and over again, but I will give you this charming guy could definitely achieve with his players. BUT 2. The other more likely component that causes upsets when the talent isn't equal is coaching - which hasn't proven to be Gill's strong suit. See in-game adjustments (3rd quarter stats, etc.).

We don't have two options for coaches (Gill and Mangino) which is good because while one is CLEARLY far more talented and successful neither is the long term 'dynasty' builder.

Steve Brown 8 years, 9 months ago

Was MM a stern disciplinarian turning boys into men. or Was Mad Mark an abusive bully.

At a newsconference Mark claimed there would be no more fighting from his players with the BBall team ( or anyone else on and off the field) "I guaruntee it."
they went on to lose 6-7 straight conference games.

Before the last game of the season when asked about losing control of his team, he replied, "I have not lost control of the team, I guarantee it." Neither did Custer.

Missouri Arrowhead Stadium 1:14 seconds left, we have the ball, 1st down, 4 point lead, and 7 seconds later MU has the ball.

our patchwork collective memory of MM forms a kaleidescope.

He will never work again, as you can't hire an abusive priest to run a boy scout camp, you can't hire a drunk driver to drive your school buses and an AD can't hire MadMark to mentor 18 yr. old boys, even Loyd's of London won't offer that much liability protection.

We will keep sawing wood.

Kevin Crook 8 years, 9 months ago

That's a weird article. NO WAY K-state hires Mangino. Look a little closer at K-state too. Snyder was DONE a few years ago after two 4-7 seasons. Head Freds are only as good as their coordinators. Snyder's got great ones again, think Bennett and Levitt from the first regime, and so Snyder looks great again. Mangino ran off more coordinators than he could hire! I love MM for what he did for us. But the cow is out of the barn, its time to move on...

KU_FAN 8 years, 9 months ago

Did anybody else watch the KU vs. OU Gridiron episode? It was awesome! After viewing it, I've changed my mind on Turner Gill. He has his players believing in his system and ideas. They believe that they can win, they just haven't executed a full/complete football game.

I think Gill will have success at KU if given time. The confidence and message that he brings to coaching is trickling down to his players. They believe in their coach and are fighting for him. I think we all saw that against OU.

I'm very excited for tomorrow's game I believe we will see a victory against KSU.

ROCK CHALK!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 8 months ago

I did. Haven't laughed that hard since the bathroom scene in "dumd and dumber"!

I don't get how the man that is always speaking about "passion" and "excitement" has so little.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 8 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawk nation will never come to consensus about what went down with the fall of Mangino, but it's clear we're all still grasping at the "what ifs" of it all.

Sometimes you just have to throw up your hands and move on. It's like trying to figure out what went down with JFK and how he would've done with Civil Rights, Vietnam, etc....

It's over. Gill's our coach now and let's hope for an upset over undefeated K-State! That would really lift my KU football spirits.

olathefan 8 years, 8 months ago

GO AFTER TRESSEL WITH EVERY $ WE'VE GOT

741hawk 8 years, 8 months ago

You are not going to like this . . . but we are again alot like Kentucky.

Attended the South Carolina beat down of Kentucky two weeks ago. Saw a well-coached team demolish a poorly coached team. Observed the sliver of one section of "loyal" Kentucky football fans. After the game, one of them commented to me, "Yeah, every ten years or so we're good, then we shoot ourselves in the foot."

Reality sucks.

jayhawkrider 8 years, 8 months ago

Let's see. There are plenty of available coaches floating around, and they aren't Mangino. UT's offensive coordinator was offered up as meat to appease the state of Texas even after years of success. I only wish we could have waited a little while and taken him. Mike Stoops is available, too. While his record at UA wasn't impressive, it's better than where we're sitting. If you like controversy, I think Houston Nutt is still available. Etc. Whoever we pick again, we'll have more years of rebuilding and losing. Even if Mangino were to come back, we couldn't hope for a winning season for another 3-5 years.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 8 months ago

Give the man a second chance... if we don't, he'll be whipping our butts over the next decade or two when he takes over for Snyder.

kualuminohio 8 years, 8 months ago

Gill is our man folks, We all should have seen the smoke and mirrors Lew was pulling and raised more of a stink when Mangino was getting ousted. I would be all for bringing him back under Gill, but Gill and staff needs our support, we will see what happens. One thing I do know is I am not pulling up the Lazer broadcasts on the internet anymore to listen to the game, I might check the score once or twice on my phone. The excitment for this fan is gone, I greatly enjoyed the last 3 years of the Mangino saga, and long for Gill to get to that level. But for now i will periodically check in and see how the team is doing, Life is too busy... Go Jayhawks, bring on basketball... I do watch most Bball games, HA...