Could KU football be primed for another big-splash news day?

Charlie Weis laughs with media members during a news conference on Friday.

Charlie Weis laughs with media members during a news conference on Friday. by Nick Krug

OK, so now that Charlie Weis has been hired and Dayne Crist and Jake Heaps have committed (I still kind of can’t believe it even after dozens of times writing it), we can move on to the next line of business regarding KU football.

As you know by now, the announcement of Weis as KU’s new coach made waves nationally and was regarded by many as an impressive hire, even if the jury’s still out on whether it was a good hire or not.

The commitments of Crist and Heaps — both top-tier QBs with the potential to change the landscape of football at Kansas for years to come — went down as equally big news, largely because they committed within a couple of hours of each other and because, at least coming in, they represent the most impressive set of QBs KU ever has brought into the program at one time.

With that in place, it’s safe to say that KU won’t make another splash that even comes close to approaching the Weis hire or the QB commitments for several months, right?

Wrong.

I’m not saying it’s going to go down this way, but it could. Here’s what I’m talking about:

At this point, no single move could possibly approach the level of the two I mentioned above. Head coach and quarterback are without question the two most visible positions on a football team so it’s safe to say that no other position — defensive coordinator, strength coach, linebacker, whatever — could or even would be met with the same kind of excitement and enthusiasm as those two.

But what if it all comes in the same day? Think quantity over quality here. What if Weis, maybe sometime early next week, announces the name of his defensive coordinator and follows it up by revealing the rest of his coaching staff. We’re talking another five or six guys, all with the potential to impress your socks off.

Some names to keep an eye on: Rob Ianello as wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator; Bernie Parmalee as tight ends coach; and Greg Manusky, Mike Nolan or Al Groh as defensive coordinator. I haven’t been able to nail down who the leader is just yet (in fact, I’ve actually heard that all three have been offered the DC job) but it seems like those are three of the top candidates, if not the three top candidates.

OK, so now, on the same day, you learn the identity of the rest of the coaching staff — everyone from the potential big-name defensive coordinator to a strength and conditioning staff.

That’s a start. Now, what if, on that same day, a bunch of recruits decide Kansas is the right place for them and they elect to commit.

Some names to keep an eye on: Justin McCay, OU wide receiver who may be eligible to play next year because of a special hardship waiver and release; Brian Wagner, the Akron linebacker who was among the nation's leaders in tackles last year and, like Crist, will have one year of eligibility remaining; Gehrig Dieter, the South Bend, Ind., wide receiver, who will announce his decision on Jan. 3; and Brice Butler, the USC wide receiver, who also will have one year of eligibility remaining and is reportedly considering KU. There were reports that Butler committed to San Diego State via Twitter on Thursday, but it seems like those were false, as Butler is claiming that his account may have been hacked. SDSU remains a likely destination for Butler, but nothing's official yet.

It’s hard to imagine all of those guys will become Jayhawks, but it’s definitely possible. It’s also possible that a couple of seniors who played with Crist at Notre Dame and maybe even a Florida player or two could be transferring to Kansas to join Weis and Co. I think the odds are very strong that McCay and Dieter are coming.

It’s been pretty quiet around KU lately. The coaches who are in place have been on the road recruiting and aren’t talking and probably won’t be any time soon. I was told yesterday, however, that KU has scheduled a news conference for Jan. 16 for Crist, Heaps and whatever other newcomers the program may have by that time. I also was told KU football officials have informed all commitments who haven’t arrived yet to turn down any future interview requests.

That’s a bummer, but not all that surprising. And, hey, at least we’ve got that Jan. 16 date to look forward to.

I think plenty will happen before then, though. I’d expect the rest of the coaching staff to be in place well before then and I’m guessing we’ll hear about a few other commitments in the very near future.

I’m not saying it’s all going to happen at once. But let’s mark down Jan. 3, next Tuesday, as the next big date for KU football news. If the rest of the coaching staff is revealed and Dieter and a couple of other players commit, it’s a day that could rival the Weis announcement or the quarterback bonanza in terms of hype and excitement.

Let’s see what happens...

;

Comments

Kent Wells 2 years, 9 months ago

So, is "Let’s see what happens..." the new "Stay tuned..."???

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Haha! Guess so. Maybe I could come up with some sort of hybrid of the two.

"Stay tuned..." sounds better for fast-moving, breaking news "Let's see what happens..." sounds better for ongoing situations

Kent Wells 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahh, a method to the madness!

Stay tuned seems like it is a radio thing. You need to come up with something that equates to the web.

Keep refreshing....

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Keep refreshing sounds weird and keep clicking sounds like I'm begging for traffic.

There's gotta be something, though.

Stay tuned... (ha!)

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 9 months ago

How about F5 or Ctrl-R (or a variation of these terms). They are both "Refresh" keys in most browsers... Maybe something like "keep F5ing" or "Keep news alive, F5" which can be shortened to KNAF5.

"Stay connected"?

"Stay Logged In"?

"Keep Logging In"?

Or you could just stick with 'Stay Tuned' which has become your catch phrase anyway....

Ay Caramba!

Thomas Young 2 years, 9 months ago

Keep it simple.

"Now go make me a sammich!"

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 9 months ago

Ouch, you are worse than me first thing in the morning without coffee. Or is it without football news?

middleoftheroader 2 years, 9 months ago

Great inciteful article Matt (as usual). The more I think about it the more I believe a bowl game is more likely next season, you have to remember about freshman too not just transfers that have to wait a year. We KU fans are living a dream, a dream I hope NEVER to wake up from.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I hear what you're saying about a bowl game being possible, but be careful you don't set yourself up for disappointment.... Still a lot of ground to make up and a long way to go.

LogicMan 2 years, 9 months ago

On the Big 12/Big East war, WVU front, I'd like to see "Big 12 to Invite Louisville and Cincinnati" in the news today.

Kevin Crook 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, what about Romeo to run the defense? Couldn't he be in the mix, only waiting to announce it after the Chiefs' last game Sunday?

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Very possible. Haven't heard a ton about Romeo being in the mix, but his name has been mentioned. I think those other three are definitely ahead of him on Weis' wish list...

milehighhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Romeo wants a head coaching job in the NFL, not a coordinator job in college.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Seems to me like he'll get the Chiefs job anyway... If KC can lure a guy like Cowher or Fisher or Gruden, then he might not. But if they can't get a big fish, I gotta think Romeo's a great hire.

I'm also hearing that Nolan may be inclined to stay in the NFL, too, if he can find another opportunity.

Ryan McAtee 2 years, 9 months ago

Great article Matt... do I sense an upcoming article with more in depth info on the potential DC's? Perhaps a DC Percentage Wheel? Thanks for all of your hard work!

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Haha! That could be a possibility. Right now, I'd put it at something like this:

1. Manusky 30%
  2. Nolan 29%
  3. Groh 28%
  4. Other 13%

Thanks for the note.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, In regards to LogicMan's post, how do you see the WVU thing shaking out? It sure seems like the Big East is going down swinging. Does that mean a 4th non-con next year, which could increase our bowl possibilities if the right team has an opening...

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

I've said all along that I think WVU will be in the Big 12 next season and Missouri will be in the SEC... I know that sounds pretty obvious, but I think that's the way it will go down.

You have to remember, there's a lot of time for all of this to get settled and I think it will. It might not be easy and there might be some more money involved, but my guess is they'll do whatever it takes.

I'll see what I can dig up in the next week or so.

Josh Galler 2 years, 9 months ago

I remember that we might hear something from ND by End of Year what is on that front?

danmoore 2 years, 9 months ago

The thought of mizwho playing one more year in the Big 12 just ruined my day. Let's take out the trash ASAP.

I am already not missing them.

amatxjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

You're right on. I think they can either play in the SEC or they can play with themselves. "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn."

COJayhawker 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, you always have a knack for getting me excited about the future of Kansas football. I personally appreciate the angle you take; throwing what you know out there, openly for the conjecture that it is, and letting us make up our own opinions from your educated guesses. Keep up the good work!! Your articles are often the sidekick to my morning coffee as I login to work.

Joe Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

This is so exciting and thanks Tait for the info. Keep it coming!

Happy New Year

Jace FitzGibbon 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt Tait for president!

no for real though best article written on KUsports.com i usually just skim on everyone elses but yours are actually good reads sir.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Appreciate that. It's been a little crazy/slow with the holidays and everything, but I've got big plans for our football coverage in 2012... Thanks again!

Lawkan 2 years, 9 months ago

I would love too see Nolan hired but he was quoted yesterday saying there is no way he would be coaching in college next year.

I don't think we need a bunch of recievers taking up scholarships. Patterson, Beshears, Shepherd, Jackson, Pick, and Matthews are all back and there are several others behind them.

The most important recruiting job imo is getting Miller to stay. The other 3 backs are good but Miller has a chance to be special.

ozzzy 2 years, 9 months ago

It was my understanding that Miller wasn't going to make grades, and that was the reason for transfer. I could be wrong about that, but if it is the case, couldn't he make better grades in the 2nd semester and take summer school to become eligible again? Agree that Miller has a ton of potential on the field.

fancy80 2 years, 9 months ago

Miller is gone because of grades and other tests involving little cups. hate to see it, but you either want to be here and follow the rules, or you don't. Apparently, it wasn't that important to him, so waving the wheat on DM. Good Luck in life...and I sincerely mean that.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

If both of those are true, then so be it. He should move on. A shame, but best of luck to him.

Lawkan 2 years, 9 months ago

If the Big East wants to play hardball the Big 12 should invite Boise State for next year while waiting for WVU and take Louisville as well to get to 12 teams. That should cost them their BCS bid for sure.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 9 months ago

Lawkan, you're right, and brilliant by the way. Who cares if Boise was a juco however many years ago? Boise is a plum for the taking, and I would drop WV like a bad habit for them or Louisville, or Planet Houston for that matter.

*Planet Houston is a reference to the 1980 Superman movie.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Not opposed to Boise, but I'd really like to have Air Force.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

LaDarrell McNeil out of Dallas? Or Kenneth Crawley out of DC?

ozzzy 2 years, 9 months ago

Must be Crawley, because he lists KU as Low (Interest), along with a couple other schools. With 2 senior safeties and Terry a transfer risk, we definately need a safety. Let's go Mr. Crawley!

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 9 months ago

How are the current Jayhawks doing? We have a number of quality players. Is there anything known about them, how they're feeling about the change?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

We're at the point now where if Tait said frigg'n Arnold Scharzenegger is going to be the new strength coach I would not be surprised!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

I'd prefer Magnus Ver Magnussen, much cooler name!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Awesome, I can see it now. Linemen hauling engineless cars up and down the hill, kickers throwing beer kegs over the goal post, receivers chopping down trees with an axe (making it hard for ku info to keep up to date numbers on the amount of trees on campus), running backs sprinting across hot coals.

Casey Gee 2 years, 9 months ago

We'd be good until they tested all the players for steroids.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

KU would also have to get rid of all the housekeepers....

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, one more thing! You do such a great job with the football coverage, but every time I hear about KU football on Omaha radio, its Jesse. Is he some sort of glory hound or are you a little shy??? Don't get me wrong, he does a great job...but we need some Matt Tait on the airwaves!!!

Matt,

Are you hearing at all about where Wagner, the Akron kid, is at? JayhawkSlant has reported on him a few times, but they don't seem to indicate which way he is leaning. Have anything on that?

Kid is obviously a very, very good LB, and would be a huge immediate addition to our dead-last defense. I know we need DLs, but a linebacker who was second in the nation in tackles before being hurt for his last game would have a huge effect on that side of the ball.

W Keith Swinehart II 2 years, 9 months ago

Great articles on the KU football saga, Matt. We are all excited and waiting for the next big thing, and the start of football (beginning with Spring practice). But I expect Charlie will be THE ONE to start making the announcements. So, how is his hip surgery therapy going?

If I were a recruit or prospective coach I would want to know that Charlie is doing great after surgery before I committed. I am anxious for him to appear on the scene and looking well. I think he is a guy who can start KU's football program. But he needs to be healthy for 5 years. Good hires in the coaching staff can take over when he is ready to slow down.

Jim Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey Matt,

Whatever happened to Dugan Arnett? ;-)

Kevin Kelly 2 years, 9 months ago

And there's the other great mystery of the universe. When is the Big 12 going to pass the hat, get WVU out of thier leauge and get a schedule generated? Kind of feels like we got some new rims for our Honda Civic to me.

VaJay 2 years, 9 months ago

What is the main incentive for the pro coordinators to take a similar position here?? I understand there's potential to be a head coach not too far down the road, but what else is there?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

As Weis has said pretty consistently, the college game is far more conducive to having a family life. They actually have some time in which they can spend with their families as opposed to none at the NFL level. When the pay is the same -- or close to it -- that would be a pretty big draw, I would think.

There are some guys who just want to work in the NFL and some only in college (and of those there are some who can only succeed in one level or the other), but all things being equal, I can understand working in the college game for the fact that you get a little more of a life at home.

VaJay 2 years, 9 months ago

I understand your point, but what about the recruiting aspect? College C's are on the road a great deal, & the pro's don't have to worry about that part.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Agree, but they're not on the road all the time. I did take that into account, which is why I used the qualifier of a "little more" of a home life as opposed to "a lot more." They are still kept away from the family to a significant degree, which is why you see good high school coaches not make the jump (and, on a personal note, my father made that decision when he had the chance: could have coached in college but didn't want to be away from the family that much, so he stuck to high school).

Even with the recruiting side, it does sound as if college coaches still get more time with their families than do NFL coaches.

I say all of that having not coached at any level, so take it with a grain of salt, obviously.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 9 months ago

Yea!!! That's what we want ...slackers! "The NFL is too hard. I can loaf in college ...especially KU!!!"

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

That was such a ridiculous straw man post, there really is no way to respond.

My two year old just gave you a facepalm

danmoore 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm as excited as everyone else but hoping for a bowl invitation seems a bit premature and would be setting ourselves up for disappointment. I just hope we can be competitive. The blowout losses are demoralizing.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, Sir Tait, for delivering yet another tantalizing addition to feed our C&B FB habit! Please, Sir, I'd like some more...

(Just no satisfying some people... :-)

Thanks again!

kusp8 2 years, 9 months ago

For what it's worth, I know 15 people who have renewed their football season tickets, after cancelling for last year. So, yeah, it's exciting around KU, really reminds me of the Orange Bowl excitement. Yes, I'm excited for KU BBall, but I can't wait to see how KU Football is going to be next year and the years to come!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

FYI Tait told me he hates it when you guys comment to him directly with your post, like he's "some kind of dancing monkey on the boardwalk trying to earn your spare change." His words, not mine.

Hey Matt, Matt what about, Matt have you heard, Matt blah-blah blah!

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Nonsense!!! I love the personal attention... Keep it coming!

Huh,

That's funny, because Matt told me you keep trying to tweet him lewd photos of yourself and your... ahem... congressional representative. I'm pretty sure that's what he wants to stop.

[Note: Fiction, if anyone takes any of the above seriously, push the call button and Tommy will came and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you are.... well, you know the rest.]

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

He ignores my pictures...Doesn't respond when I tap my foot in the bathroom stall...Reports me when I tickle him.

treed14ku 2 years, 9 months ago

What a uninformative and terrible blog. Nolan came out just the other day and said "there isn't a whisper of truth" that he would be interested in the KU job. Absolutely inexcusable that Tait isn't up to date w/ stories like that. He gets paid to do NOTHING but follow KU news and report it. All this blog did was compile well known info that has been out there for multiple days. We already knew about Dieter, Butler, McCay and Wagner. All these Tait blogs ever do is re-package other people's work. When have they ever given us new insight? Instead its always Keegan-esque speculation.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 9 months ago

Yup, no one has ever said that there was no truth to something and then it turned out to be true...not one.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Good call. You beat me to it!

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

You're welcome to stop reading at any time.

Oh, and maybe I should've included this in the blog, but coaches have neevvvvvvvvvvver said something one day and then gone a different direction the next, have they?

For what it's worth, I don't think it's going to be Nolan. But I do think he's a candidate and I've also heard that he's been offered the job. If you don't find that information useful (yep, it was in the blog), I can't help you.

danmoore 2 years, 9 months ago

It's not a done deal until both sides deny it.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 9 months ago

And Matt Tait rips off the gloves and goes for an old fashion beat down! Agree, no way coaches ever say anything and then retract what they say. It's 100% truth all the time! Thanks Matt! We all love ya and all your thoughts on what's up with KU football! Well most of us!

treed14ku 2 years, 9 months ago

The point that you ignored is that you are NEVER the one that breaks the stories, its always recycled info from other papers/sites. Seems like anybody could sit around all day and just re-post news stories/rumors when they have pop up. I guess the LJW did break the Mangino to WVU story, oh wait........

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Didn't ignore it, just don't need to justify it. I'm working hard and doing the best that I can via talking to sources every single day about this, that and the other.

A big part of realignment and the coaching search was tracking what was happening everywhere because no one from KU was saying much on the record.

If that's not your thing, and you don't enjoy reading it, don't read it.

I'm not the kind of guy who's gonna spit out a bunch of stuff and hope that some of it winds up true or burn my sources just to make myself look good. I respect the industry and there's a way things have to be done... sometimes that means you don't break stories. But I think if you've been paying attention, we've had our share.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. Just saying you don't have to log on. It's up to you.

Now... back to football.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 9 months ago

Credit you Tait for not finding the location of this Jerk and taking him out at the knees! You are a class act man! The other guy well he's pretty much the direct opposite of that! Thanks Matt!

Chris Bailey 2 years, 9 months ago

Why you gotta be F@&^ing Pr*&K????? Dude you need to back the flip off! Matt you rock! We love you in Jayhawk nation! Don't listen to the A@@clown! Thanks for all you do! Have a happy new year!

Dan Harris 2 years, 9 months ago

treed- your a jerkwad! Matt's the best thing that's happened to this board in a long time. There are over 100 comments on this "football " article in fricken December! Matt keep it coming, if I have one complaint it's that there isn't some kind of news everyday! LOL!

bradh 2 years, 9 months ago

I know several other news sources, particularly one with a MU slant, credited Matt with as the best source during the whole realignment issue. When other news groups mention Matt as the best source, I think you know you have a gem. I couldn't wait to see what Matt wrote each day to see what was happening.

I appreciate it that Matt takes the time to review all the news from around the country and then he lets us know how that news affects realignment, the search for a new coach, possible assistant coaches, etc.

Keep up the good work Matt.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Sorry dude, but Tait is what he is. He's the beat writer for the football team. It's not his job to lead the investigation that brings down the football program or break conference realignment news. His job is to say here is what's going on today, and today only. Not to speculate or instigate, just to Inform on what has already taken place.

And I'm the king of getting on him for the cut and paste approach during realignment and the coaching search. But let's be real a small town journalist is not going to break any story. Posting links to other big time guys articles and adding what information he had to give perspective made the ljw a one stop shop for all of our news.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Man... I was almost 100 percent with you on that (scary, thought, right?!?!)

Appreciate the words, but, to clarify, it is my job to break news regarding KU, especially football. That was tough to do with realignment and the coaching search because of the scope of each and the quiet nature with which KU conducted its business. But that didn't stop me from trying.

I have broken a few stories in the past and will break more in the future. That's absolutely why we're in this business. But it's not as easy as picking up the phone and, poof!, there it is. It's a grind and sometimes that grind produces nothing.

Love the job, though. And I'll keep cranking!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

We know, and got your back. Stop arguing with this @$$clown!

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Done. Happy New Year, people!!!

fancy80 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, keep doing what you are doing. Most of us appreciate the job you are doing and realize if you wrote everything you've been told off the record, that your sources would stop telling you stuff. My money is on Groh for DC. I sure wish we could lure Dawson from KSU, but, unfortunately, that bridge probably was burned, so I'm hoping we get a good hire there. great job Matt!!

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

And the grind that produces nothing sometimes leads to a breaking story later on down the line. It's a big picture philosophy, and the right one to live by as a true journalist.

That's why with respect to sources, as you said, you never burn any bridges. They often lead to very fertile land.

Respect the game, and, more often than not, you win.

P.S. Did that last line just make me sound like Stringer Bell? Fictional drug dealers usually have the best life philosophies....

ohjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, just like Roy didn't give a #^@! about North Carolina, and just like Nick Saban was "not going to be the Alabama coach." Right?

ohjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 9 months ago

Please tell me you never read one of Matt's articles while we were on the coaching search. Every day Matt gave us insight throughout the day about information he was researching. He is doing the same stuff now and he is giving us all the insight that he can.

Do us a favor and stop reading his articles because Matt gives us insightful stuff. Promise me you will stop reading because Matt is nowhere near Keegan material.

babyjay1 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow... What a complete jerk and obviously just a troll! No one who truly loves KU would slam on Matt. You need to go away... Maybe hang out on the Mizzery boards - you strike me as someone who would fit there quite well.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 9 months ago

You do a great job Matt! LJW and us fans are lucky to have you involved in Jayhawk coverage. Keep up the great work!

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks a bunch. Happy to hear that. There's plenty of great stuff coming in the very near future. Can't wait!

JayHok 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, Any chance Weis convinces Dreiling from Pitt State to come to Kansas?

If so would he have to sit out a year?

Also how many kitchen spoons and volunteer fans would it take to lower the football field before the spring game?

Is there anything against NCAA rules to use 8,000 lawn chairs for the lower 8 rows that will complete the pit around the field?

-------total cost---- Free!

Last question and I thank you in advance for your responses-----does our Jayhawk know how to jump out of an airplane?

RCJ Tait!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Awesome video---almost like I was piggyback riding with the jumper!

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 9 months ago

Exciting things. I'm still skeptical, but the hype around this program is so awesome, whereas when we hired Gill it was quiet...and lame. But exciting things are happening! Weis, QBs, Coordinators, Transfers, Olivia Wilde in Allen Fieldhouse...

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 9 months ago

Here comes cold water: A lot of guys on Matt's list have very little or very limited college experience. I'm not thrilled about any of them outside of, maybe, Nolan.

We need stud recruiters, excellent teachers, tireless workers and brilliant tacticians. I'm concerned about coaches looking for a college lifestyle that's easier and more "family friendly" than the NFL!

Not your fault Matt but I'm dubious about the candidates on the list!

ohjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Ok. So to address your points in order. What better recruiting tool is there than a coach who has coached in the NFL? They know what it takes to get there and succeed. They can go into any recruit's living room and say, this is the plan we have to get you to the NFL.

The implication that NFL coaches are not teachers is not founded, either. Granted, most players in the NFL have out-of-this world mad skills, but there are plenty of examples of players who were very lightly regarded out of college who have made it big in the NFL. I would suggest that most of those players are those who had a non-stop drive to learn, and learned from what their (NFL) coaches were teaching them.

The whole thing about college football being more conducive to family life has nothing to do with how hard the coaches work and everything to do with the restrictions put into place by the NCAA for practice, recruiting, etc. I am sure that any coach that is brought in will give 100% during the times they are allowed.

The brilliant tacticians part holds no water because to coach in the best (NFL), you have to be doing something right.

Not all NFL coaches transition well into college, and vice versa, but to make broad generalities that no NFL coach will transition well to college, or is only transitioning because they are "slackers" is not right.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

If you really think that because you are limited in the amount of time you can spend with the players in college and you are not in the pros means someone "loaf[s] in college," then, wow, there is nothing anyone can do for you. You are really just buried in a cave of ignorance.

Just because college is slightly more conducive to family life doesn't mean that "brilliant tacticians" are suddenly going to eat bon bons and watch "General Hospital" instead of game plan, strategize, and recruit. Suggesting otherwise is just insane.

Seriously, insane.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Ok then I'll ask a question. Tait, any word on that tulane mangino fella and where he's been?

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Don't know for sure why Mangino hasn't landed a job yet, but I'm guessing it's a two-part answer.

1. He's probably being pretty picky about what situations he'd be willing to get involved with.

2. Many ADs probably remain gun shy because of the way he left KU.

I know he was mentioned at Memphis and there was talk of Tulane looking at him, as well. But nothing surfaced and I don't know if that was because of Mark, the schools or both.

I do know this, though... The Tulane coaching search lasted 49 days. Can you imagine?!?!?!?!?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 9 months ago

Lmao! Not the real mangino! The pac10 loving, fat man supporting, tulane joining the big 12 advocating poster that is usually on the boards everyday. Mangino00hz or something like that.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I completely thought you were asking about Mark Mangino as well... and actually quite enjoyed Tait's reply.

More confusing questions, please. Apparently they create golden answers.

The Midas-Butterfinger Touch.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow. Good stuff. Must've caught me locked in an answering questions zone.

My bad.

Don't know where the other cat's been. Perhaps off enjoying the holidays!

manginodrh00lz 2 years, 9 months ago

My brother had to help Zenger move in some of Weis' stuff - it was in the contract. You would not believe the stuff HCCW owns! He's got a a honey badger! A honey badger I tell you!

ManginoRevenge 2 years, 9 months ago

Hats off Tait, I've enjoyed your blog over the past month or so.

Keep doing what you're doing, and know that it is appreciated.

Matt Tait 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks. Tip of the cap right back atcha for that user name... Good stuff!

ncoles 2 years, 9 months ago

I keep hearing that Miller is transferring/leaving. What are the reasons? Grades, coaching change, mixture of both?

fancy80 2 years, 9 months ago

Grades and three positive tests which involve peeing in little cups...

ogjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Tait,

When will you release a new DC probability wheel? It would be a great way to end the year.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

He has one listed in the comments above.

Here it is:

"Right now, I'd put it at something like this:

1. Manusky 30%
  2. Nolan 29%
  3. Groh 28%
  4. Other 13%"

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, despite what the dude above had to say, I love your blogs. I am fully aware they are compilations of others work (oftentimes), and I'm not sure how anybody could think otherwise, since you post the links you're referring to in the articles. I can't imagine how much time it would take me to find all the information you're digesting daily, and I do appreciate your slant on what is and isn't possible/probable. Keep it coming...

oldalum 2 years, 9 months ago

He did one above just after 11 a.m. Are you talking about another one, or did you miss the first one?

Kevin Randell 2 years, 9 months ago

Gehrig Dieter has said that his decision is coming soon, and that KU is in the final two.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 9 months ago

Looked him up. Can't believe it! Source? What a recruit!

BigD 2 years, 9 months ago

Dieter tweeted he would announce on Jan 3rd, SMU or KU.

gehrigd4 Gehrig Dieter Committing in 4 days! Hmm where should I go! #SMU #Kansas

Calijhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

We should look to the Chiefs for our Strength and Conditioning Coach. Mike Clark is a KU Alum and is considered to be one of the best in the business. I will be willing to wager that he will make a beeline to Lawrence because of the uncertain future of all the coaches in KC...

Matthew Pritchard 2 years, 9 months ago

Mike Clark would be an excellent hire! The word on the street is that Holssople from Florida is getting a serious look, either one would be a 180 from the last two years. I think Heaps and Crist are a huge reason Dieter will commit with the Hawks on Tuesday. Please don't forget hawk fans that Patterson, Breshears, Jackson, Shepperd, Pick, and Matthews are nothing to sneeze at. We have a good cast of receivers that Crist can throw to, if Dieter signs, icing on the cake. I still want to know why McKay is getting so much hype, why isn't he playing for OU since they are down 2 wideouts to injury, and he is not playing at all?

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Reesing, Meier, and Briscoe probably wouldn't have played much at OU! If they would have, it certainly would not have been at the same capacity as they did here. McCay probably could have worked his way up and been in the mix a bit. If I were him, I would rather be a force at Kansas than a rotation guy at OU.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt---- with the exception of Jesse (no offense to anyone), you are the one writer I read the most. You, my friend, are "simply the best," as my good friend Tina Turner would say.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 9 months ago

Do Greg Manusky & Mike Nolan have the Weis-ian connections that Al Groh has? My recollection is that he was fairly successful in a previous HC sitiuation, so he would make for a solid successor as mentioned by Coach Weis.

Also, what is the beta on Justin McCay relative to being eligible to play next year because of a special hardship waiver and release? I heard that he was released, but figured he'd still have to sit out like any transfer.

texashawk10 2 years, 9 months ago

Here's how to make the football team win a national title next season. Offer a night with Olivia Wilde to every person on the team and see what that does to their motivation level.

Kevin Randell 2 years, 9 months ago

I was reading on McCay's player bio on the OU athletics website that his father had passed away. I don't know how long ago it was, but may be he just wants to be closer to home and family. And what better place than a few minutes west of KC? I am hopefully optimistic going into this next season. The big obstacles ahead will be learning the new system, and meshing before September. I'm not expecting a miracle....but I do believe anything is possible.

jhawk613 2 years, 9 months ago

He'd have to sit out one year so he'd have plenty of time to mesh with Heaps who will also sit out 1 year.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 9 months ago

Unless he is granted a hardship release by the NCAA, which could very well happen.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Where are all the " give Gill another year" bloggers?

bad_dog 2 years, 9 months ago

Give Gill another year...at Liberty.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 9 months ago

So if Ianello comes on, that means he would replace David Beaty? I don't like that move, if that's the situation. Beaty has proven he is an exceptional recruiter in TX, (was a HS head coach at powerhouse) and he's also a damn good WR coach in addition to his youthful exuberance and intensity.

Regarding D Miller, I would think that with improved grades in the spring and summer, he would be eligible to play? Mark my words, dude will put on 10 lbs and be playing on Sundays. As an 18 year old trush frosh, he was braeking tackles and getting into the secondary, he is sick.

Go 'Hawks!!

Norm Jennings 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, I'm sure you do not need me to tell you to ignore the haters.

I suspect there isn't a lot of "real" info out there.

Since the personal employment of individuals is concerned, I'm sure that even "real" info (when provided) typically comes with "off-the-record" caveats at least until an announcement is imminent

Matt, thanks for giving us somewhat of an informed, if speculative, update.

Myself, I was wondering if not hearing Al Groh's name for a while meant that he was out of the picture. Your "percentage wheel" would indicate otherwise.

Also very interested in any rumors on the S&C front given the disappointment and lack of results in this area for the 'hawks the last couple of years.

danmoore 2 years, 9 months ago

Any of the names mentioned would be a huge improvement but I’m leaning towards none of the above. They would have announced it by now so I think CW hasn't found his man yet.

texashawk10 2 years, 9 months ago

If it was Al Frog, I would imagine it would've already been announced because of the way CFB works. At this point, I would lean towards an NFL coach coming in. I do have concerns though about hiring a DC that runs a 3-4 because I have serious doubts about that scheme working in the Big 12 because of the spread offense. I kind of hope that the DC announcement doesn't come Monday or Tuesday because that makes Leavitt the likely choice then.

JayHok 2 years, 9 months ago

Good news for Weis regarding the fall road trip to Waco----- RG3 reportedly will declare for the draft in the next few days.

RCJ

danmoore 2 years, 9 months ago

Better news. K-State wins Cotton and Snyder calls it a career.

JayHok 2 years, 9 months ago

Hmmmmmm. Source?

This sounds like one of those rumors that goes crazy on twitter and messes with Snyder's recruiting.

Personally I think a lot of KU alumni are rooting for Snyder in the Cotton Bowl and look forward to playing him in the future when both squads are not only competitive but----from a coaching standpoint---- ready and prepared for the schemes of the other team.

RCJ

danmoore 2 years, 9 months ago

No source, it's based on wishful thinking.

But, if the Wildcats were to win the Cotton Bowl I don't think he could end his career on a better note especially if he wins coach of the year awared which is a distinct possibility.

Micky Baker 2 years, 8 months ago

Matt Tait never pretends to know something that he doesn't, and he is not all that opinionated. Being opinionated leads to bias, and I don't see that when reading what Tait writes. Keegan should take a lesson from his subordinate.

Tait covered the realignment diligently and then the head football coaching job story. As well as being pleased with Tait's hard work, I am pleased thus far with the selection of Charlie Weis and the players he is bringing to Kansas. When he has a full year to recruit, and after a season here KU improves 2 wins to what I think will be 6 or 7 wins next season, and much more competitive games in those that they will lose. If Weis and company can get some big name defensive players in here as well, this could be a historical transformation for Kansas Football.