Could KU football be primed for another big-splash news day?

Charlie Weis laughs with media members during a news conference on Friday.

Charlie Weis laughs with media members during a news conference on Friday. by Nick Krug

OK, so now that Charlie Weis has been hired and Dayne Crist and Jake Heaps have committed (I still kind of can’t believe it even after dozens of times writing it), we can move on to the next line of business regarding KU football.

As you know by now, the announcement of Weis as KU’s new coach made waves nationally and was regarded by many as an impressive hire, even if the jury’s still out on whether it was a good hire or not.

The commitments of Crist and Heaps — both top-tier QBs with the potential to change the landscape of football at Kansas for years to come — went down as equally big news, largely because they committed within a couple of hours of each other and because, at least coming in, they represent the most impressive set of QBs KU ever has brought into the program at one time.

With that in place, it’s safe to say that KU won’t make another splash that even comes close to approaching the Weis hire or the QB commitments for several months, right?

Wrong.

I’m not saying it’s going to go down this way, but it could. Here’s what I’m talking about:

At this point, no single move could possibly approach the level of the two I mentioned above. Head coach and quarterback are without question the two most visible positions on a football team so it’s safe to say that no other position — defensive coordinator, strength coach, linebacker, whatever — could or even would be met with the same kind of excitement and enthusiasm as those two.

But what if it all comes in the same day? Think quantity over quality here. What if Weis, maybe sometime early next week, announces the name of his defensive coordinator and follows it up by revealing the rest of his coaching staff. We’re talking another five or six guys, all with the potential to impress your socks off.

Some names to keep an eye on: Rob Ianello as wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator; Bernie Parmalee as tight ends coach; and Greg Manusky, Mike Nolan or Al Groh as defensive coordinator. I haven’t been able to nail down who the leader is just yet (in fact, I’ve actually heard that all three have been offered the DC job) but it seems like those are three of the top candidates, if not the three top candidates.

OK, so now, on the same day, you learn the identity of the rest of the coaching staff — everyone from the potential big-name defensive coordinator to a strength and conditioning staff.

That’s a start. Now, what if, on that same day, a bunch of recruits decide Kansas is the right place for them and they elect to commit.

Some names to keep an eye on: Justin McCay, OU wide receiver who may be eligible to play next year because of a special hardship waiver and release; Brian Wagner, the Akron linebacker who was among the nation's leaders in tackles last year and, like Crist, will have one year of eligibility remaining; Gehrig Dieter, the South Bend, Ind., wide receiver, who will announce his decision on Jan. 3; and Brice Butler, the USC wide receiver, who also will have one year of eligibility remaining and is reportedly considering KU. There were reports that Butler committed to San Diego State via Twitter on Thursday, but it seems like those were false, as Butler is claiming that his account may have been hacked. SDSU remains a likely destination for Butler, but nothing's official yet.

It’s hard to imagine all of those guys will become Jayhawks, but it’s definitely possible. It’s also possible that a couple of seniors who played with Crist at Notre Dame and maybe even a Florida player or two could be transferring to Kansas to join Weis and Co. I think the odds are very strong that McCay and Dieter are coming.

It’s been pretty quiet around KU lately. The coaches who are in place have been on the road recruiting and aren’t talking and probably won’t be any time soon. I was told yesterday, however, that KU has scheduled a news conference for Jan. 16 for Crist, Heaps and whatever other newcomers the program may have by that time. I also was told KU football officials have informed all commitments who haven’t arrived yet to turn down any future interview requests.

That’s a bummer, but not all that surprising. And, hey, at least we’ve got that Jan. 16 date to look forward to.

I think plenty will happen before then, though. I’d expect the rest of the coaching staff to be in place well before then and I’m guessing we’ll hear about a few other commitments in the very near future.

I’m not saying it’s all going to happen at once. But let’s mark down Jan. 3, next Tuesday, as the next big date for KU football news. If the rest of the coaching staff is revealed and Dieter and a couple of other players commit, it’s a day that could rival the Weis announcement or the quarterback bonanza in terms of hype and excitement.

Let’s see what happens...

;

Comments

Micky Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt Tait never pretends to know something that he doesn't, and he is not all that opinionated. Being opinionated leads to bias, and I don't see that when reading what Tait writes. Keegan should take a lesson from his subordinate.

Tait covered the realignment diligently and then the head football coaching job story. As well as being pleased with Tait's hard work, I am pleased thus far with the selection of Charlie Weis and the players he is bringing to Kansas. When he has a full year to recruit, and after a season here KU improves 2 wins to what I think will be 6 or 7 wins next season, and much more competitive games in those that they will lose. If Weis and company can get some big name defensive players in here as well, this could be a historical transformation for Kansas Football.

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

No source, it's based on wishful thinking.

But, if the Wildcats were to win the Cotton Bowl I don't think he could end his career on a better note especially if he wins coach of the year awared which is a distinct possibility.

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

Better news. K-State wins Cotton and Snyder calls it a career.

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

Good news for Weis regarding the fall road trip to Waco----- RG3 reportedly will declare for the draft in the next few days.

RCJ

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

Any of the names mentioned would be a huge improvement but I’m leaning towards none of the above. They would have announced it by now so I think CW hasn't found his man yet.

Norm Jennings 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, I'm sure you do not need me to tell you to ignore the haters.

I suspect there isn't a lot of "real" info out there.

Since the personal employment of individuals is concerned, I'm sure that even "real" info (when provided) typically comes with "off-the-record" caveats at least until an announcement is imminent

Matt, thanks for giving us somewhat of an informed, if speculative, update.

Myself, I was wondering if not hearing Al Groh's name for a while meant that he was out of the picture. Your "percentage wheel" would indicate otherwise.

Also very interested in any rumors on the S&C front given the disappointment and lack of results in this area for the 'hawks the last couple of years.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 3 months ago

So if Ianello comes on, that means he would replace David Beaty? I don't like that move, if that's the situation. Beaty has proven he is an exceptional recruiter in TX, (was a HS head coach at powerhouse) and he's also a damn good WR coach in addition to his youthful exuberance and intensity.

Regarding D Miller, I would think that with improved grades in the spring and summer, he would be eligible to play? Mark my words, dude will put on 10 lbs and be playing on Sundays. As an 18 year old trush frosh, he was braeking tackles and getting into the secondary, he is sick.

Go 'Hawks!!

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Where are all the " give Gill another year" bloggers?

Kevin Randell 2 years, 3 months ago

I was reading on McCay's player bio on the OU athletics website that his father had passed away. I don't know how long ago it was, but may be he just wants to be closer to home and family. And what better place than a few minutes west of KC? I am hopefully optimistic going into this next season. The big obstacles ahead will be learning the new system, and meshing before September. I'm not expecting a miracle....but I do believe anything is possible.

texashawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's how to make the football team win a national title next season. Offer a night with Olivia Wilde to every person on the team and see what that does to their motivation level.

matt_talt 2 years, 3 months ago

test test 1 2 1 2 is this thing on?

oh gawd. i kill me!!!

Dirk Medema 2 years, 3 months ago

Do Greg Manusky & Mike Nolan have the Weis-ian connections that Al Groh has? My recollection is that he was fairly successful in a previous HC sitiuation, so he would make for a solid successor as mentioned by Coach Weis.

Also, what is the beta on Justin McCay relative to being eligible to play next year because of a special hardship waiver and release? I heard that he was released, but figured he'd still have to sit out like any transfer.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt---- with the exception of Jesse (no offense to anyone), you are the one writer I read the most. You, my friend, are "simply the best," as my good friend Tina Turner would say.

Matthew Pritchard 2 years, 3 months ago

Mike Clark would be an excellent hire! The word on the street is that Holssople from Florida is getting a serious look, either one would be a 180 from the last two years. I think Heaps and Crist are a huge reason Dieter will commit with the Hawks on Tuesday. Please don't forget hawk fans that Patterson, Breshears, Jackson, Shepperd, Pick, and Matthews are nothing to sneeze at. We have a good cast of receivers that Crist can throw to, if Dieter signs, icing on the cake. I still want to know why McKay is getting so much hype, why isn't he playing for OU since they are down 2 wideouts to injury, and he is not playing at all?

Calijhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

We should look to the Chiefs for our Strength and Conditioning Coach. Mike Clark is a KU Alum and is considered to be one of the best in the business. I will be willing to wager that he will make a beeline to Lawrence because of the uncertain future of all the coaches in KC...

Kevin Randell 2 years, 3 months ago

Gehrig Dieter has said that his decision is coming soon, and that KU is in the final two.

oldalum 2 years, 3 months ago

He did one above just after 11 a.m. Are you talking about another one, or did you miss the first one?

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, despite what the dude above had to say, I love your blogs. I am fully aware they are compilations of others work (oftentimes), and I'm not sure how anybody could think otherwise, since you post the links you're referring to in the articles. I can't imagine how much time it would take me to find all the information you're digesting daily, and I do appreciate your slant on what is and isn't possible/probable. Keep it coming...

ogjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Tait,

When will you release a new DC probability wheel? It would be a great way to end the year.

ncoles 2 years, 3 months ago

I keep hearing that Miller is transferring/leaving. What are the reasons? Grades, coaching change, mixture of both?

ManginoRevenge 2 years, 3 months ago

Hats off Tait, I've enjoyed your blog over the past month or so.

Keep doing what you're doing, and know that it is appreciated.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Ok then I'll ask a question. Tait, any word on that tulane mangino fella and where he's been?

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 3 months ago

Here comes cold water: A lot of guys on Matt's list have very little or very limited college experience. I'm not thrilled about any of them outside of, maybe, Nolan.

We need stud recruiters, excellent teachers, tireless workers and brilliant tacticians. I'm concerned about coaches looking for a college lifestyle that's easier and more "family friendly" than the NFL!

Not your fault Matt but I'm dubious about the candidates on the list!

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 3 months ago

Exciting things. I'm still skeptical, but the hype around this program is so awesome, whereas when we hired Gill it was quiet...and lame. But exciting things are happening! Weis, QBs, Coordinators, Transfers, Olivia Wilde in Allen Fieldhouse...

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, Any chance Weis convinces Dreiling from Pitt State to come to Kansas?

If so would he have to sit out a year?

Also how many kitchen spoons and volunteer fans would it take to lower the football field before the spring game?

Is there anything against NCAA rules to use 8,000 lawn chairs for the lower 8 rows that will complete the pit around the field?

-------total cost---- Free!

Last question and I thank you in advance for your responses-----does our Jayhawk know how to jump out of an airplane?

RCJ Tait!

TexasHawk44 2 years, 3 months ago

You do a great job Matt! LJW and us fans are lucky to have you involved in Jayhawk coverage. Keep up the great work!

treed14ku 2 years, 3 months ago

What a uninformative and terrible blog. Nolan came out just the other day and said "there isn't a whisper of truth" that he would be interested in the KU job. Absolutely inexcusable that Tait isn't up to date w/ stories like that. He gets paid to do NOTHING but follow KU news and report it. All this blog did was compile well known info that has been out there for multiple days. We already knew about Dieter, Butler, McCay and Wagner. All these Tait blogs ever do is re-package other people's work. When have they ever given us new insight? Instead its always Keegan-esque speculation.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

FYI Tait told me he hates it when you guys comment to him directly with your post, like he's "some kind of dancing monkey on the boardwalk trying to earn your spare change." His words, not mine.

Hey Matt, Matt what about, Matt have you heard, Matt blah-blah blah!

kusp8 2 years, 3 months ago

For what it's worth, I know 15 people who have renewed their football season tickets, after cancelling for last year. So, yeah, it's exciting around KU, really reminds me of the Orange Bowl excitement. Yes, I'm excited for KU BBall, but I can't wait to see how KU Football is going to be next year and the years to come!

Eric Dawson 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you, Sir Tait, for delivering yet another tantalizing addition to feed our C&B FB habit! Please, Sir, I'd like some more...

(Just no satisfying some people... :-)

Thanks again!

danmoore 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm as excited as everyone else but hoping for a bowl invitation seems a bit premature and would be setting ourselves up for disappointment. I just hope we can be competitive. The blowout losses are demoralizing.

VaJay 2 years, 3 months ago

What is the main incentive for the pro coordinators to take a similar position here?? I understand there's potential to be a head coach not too far down the road, but what else is there?

Kevin Kelly 2 years, 3 months ago

And there's the other great mystery of the universe. When is the Big 12 going to pass the hat, get WVU out of thier leauge and get a schedule generated? Kind of feels like we got some new rims for our Honda Civic to me.

Jim Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

Hey Matt,

Whatever happened to Dugan Arnett? ;-)

W Keith Swinehart II 2 years, 3 months ago

Great articles on the KU football saga, Matt. We are all excited and waiting for the next big thing, and the start of football (beginning with Spring practice). But I expect Charlie will be THE ONE to start making the announcements. So, how is his hip surgery therapy going?

If I were a recruit or prospective coach I would want to know that Charlie is doing great after surgery before I committed. I am anxious for him to appear on the scene and looking well. I think he is a guy who can start KU's football program. But he needs to be healthy for 5 years. Good hires in the coaching staff can take over when he is ready to slow down.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt,

Are you hearing at all about where Wagner, the Akron kid, is at? JayhawkSlant has reported on him a few times, but they don't seem to indicate which way he is leaning. Have anything on that?

Kid is obviously a very, very good LB, and would be a huge immediate addition to our dead-last defense. I know we need DLs, but a linebacker who was second in the nation in tackles before being hurt for his last game would have a huge effect on that side of the ball.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, one more thing! You do such a great job with the football coverage, but every time I hear about KU football on Omaha radio, its Jesse. Is he some sort of glory hound or are you a little shy??? Don't get me wrong, he does a great job...but we need some Matt Tait on the airwaves!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

We're at the point now where if Tait said frigg'n Arnold Scharzenegger is going to be the new strength coach I would not be surprised!

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 3 months ago

How are the current Jayhawks doing? We have a number of quality players. Is there anything known about them, how they're feeling about the change?

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 3 months ago

I know for a fact KU is making a late charge at a 4 star safety that is a soft verbal to Tenn. He would be a huge pick up

Lawkan 2 years, 3 months ago

If the Big East wants to play hardball the Big 12 should invite Boise State for next year while waiting for WVU and take Louisville as well to get to 12 teams. That should cost them their BCS bid for sure.

Lawkan 2 years, 3 months ago

I would love too see Nolan hired but he was quoted yesterday saying there is no way he would be coaching in college next year.

I don't think we need a bunch of recievers taking up scholarships. Patterson, Beshears, Shepherd, Jackson, Pick, and Matthews are all back and there are several others behind them.

The most important recruiting job imo is getting Miller to stay. The other 3 backs are good but Miller has a chance to be special.

STLJayhawk10 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt Tait for president!

no for real though best article written on KUsports.com i usually just skim on everyone elses but yours are actually good reads sir.

Joe Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

This is so exciting and thanks Tait for the info. Keep it coming!

Happy New Year

COJayhawker 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, you always have a knack for getting me excited about the future of Kansas football. I personally appreciate the angle you take; throwing what you know out there, openly for the conjecture that it is, and letting us make up our own opinions from your educated guesses. Keep up the good work!! Your articles are often the sidekick to my morning coffee as I login to work.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, In regards to LogicMan's post, how do you see the WVU thing shaking out? It sure seems like the Big East is going down swinging. Does that mean a 4th non-con next year, which could increase our bowl possibilities if the right team has an opening...

Ryan McAtee 2 years, 3 months ago

Great article Matt... do I sense an upcoming article with more in depth info on the potential DC's? Perhaps a DC Percentage Wheel? Thanks for all of your hard work!

Kevin Crook 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, what about Romeo to run the defense? Couldn't he be in the mix, only waiting to announce it after the Chiefs' last game Sunday?

LogicMan 2 years, 3 months ago

On the Big 12/Big East war, WVU front, I'd like to see "Big 12 to Invite Louisville and Cincinnati" in the news today.

middleoftheroader 2 years, 3 months ago

Great inciteful article Matt (as usual). The more I think about it the more I believe a bowl game is more likely next season, you have to remember about freshman too not just transfers that have to wait a year. We KU fans are living a dream, a dream I hope NEVER to wake up from.

Kent Wells 2 years, 3 months ago

So, is "Let’s see what happens..." the new "Stay tuned..."???