What's with all the waiting? Trust me, there's no need to worry.

Charlie Weis makes an opening statement after being introduced by Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger during a news conference Friday in which Weis was announced as the new head football coach. by Nick Krug

All this waiting around for players to make decisions and coaches to be hired kind of stinks.

I know it. You know it. We all know it.

But don’t let the bummer of the wait cloud your view of what’s happening with Kansas University football right now. In fact, it’s very possible that all of this waiting actually could be good for KU. In the very least, it seems that it’s not really that harmful.

Here’s why:

Let’s start with KU’s defensive coordinator opening. Sure, it would be nice to know the name of every member of new KU coach Charlie Weis’ coaching staff, but wouldn’t you rather those names be the right guys?

Hiring a defensive coordinator could be the most important move Weis makes at Kansas. It certainly will go a long way toward determining how his first couple of seasons go, and, because of that, it’s important that he get it right.

Waiting until he feels he’s found the right man for the job increases the odds of KU being successful under Weis. And it really doesn’t do anything to hurt KU’s offseason approach.

For starters, waiting actually increases the size of the pool of candidates. Weis may have his eye on a couple of guys still coaching — be that in bowl games or in the NFL — and would be wise to at least talk to them before picking a coordinator. Going with a guy who's available now just to fill the job could do damage to the entire defensive staff.

I know many think waiting around could delay KU’s efforts to rebuild the defense, but it won’t. It’s a dead period in recruiting, which means that even if Weis had a DC in place, he couldn’t be on the road talking to prospects anyway. Even contact by telephone is limited right now.

All the more reason to let Weis search high and low to make sure he finds the right fit for what he wants to do here at Kansas.

There’s not a lot of talk out there right now about which coaches might be on his list. But my hunch keeps leading me to guys with previous head coaching experience. Whether that’s a guy like Butch Davis (possible), Jim Leavitt (doubtful) or someone else in that category, it wouldn’t surprise me for one second if the new DC comes loaded with experience. In fact, it would surprise me if he doesn’t.

Moving on to the players — specifically the quarterbacks — waiting on these guys to pick a school also can be tough, but the same rules apply here. These guys are making big-time decisions that will affect their futures both in college and possibly the NFL.

Patience is key and it’s my belief that the guys who take longer to make a decision might be the guys you want playing for your team anyway. Most often, the longer a decision takes is an indication that more thought and research went into making it.

In the case of former Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist, who currently is picking between Kansas and Wisconsin for his final season of college football, there are a number of factors in play. Some of them, I touched on in the article we ran today.

Others, like the possibility of Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst being hired as the head coach at Pitt, also factor in to Crist’s decision.

When that decision will come or what his choice will be remains anybody’s guess. But this much seems safe to say: If Chryst leaves Wisconsin, Crist will be coming to Kansas.

Here’s a little more on Chryst’s candidacy at Pitt:

I know this blog didn’t provide the answers that many of you were looking for, but the bottom line here is that most of those answers aren’t out there at the moment.

So get comfortable, sit tight and enjoy the wait. Trust me, it’s not a bad sign.

;

Comments

gardenjay 2 years, 3 months ago

Jake Heaps coming to KU, according to Jon Kirby of Jayhawkslant.com. It seems news just isn't the same business anymore...

Eric Dawson 2 years, 3 months ago

WooHoo! for Crist coming to Kansas!

Now let's get Jake Heaps on board, along with some more D line beef!

Thank you, Charlie, keep the boiler on High and the train speeding to Tomorrow!

KU football fans everywhere are gettin' Stoked for the future!

Thank you Sheahon Zenger! You Da Man!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!

railer20 2 years, 4 months ago

Welcome Dayne and merry christmas jayhawk nation!

lawrenceboy3 2 years, 4 months ago

HOORAY! Welcome to the Jayhawk family Dayne!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 4 months ago

Does Kelly Donahoe ever get mentioned as a possible position coach at KU?

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 4 months ago

dcrist10 Dayne Crist After a long & difficult decision making process, I'm incredibly excited to join the Kansas football team. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 4 months ago

Dayne Crist just commited to KU !!! ROCK CHALK!!

Keith Hummel 2 years, 4 months ago

Lots of rumors tonight on Twitter that Crist is following Cryst to Pitt. Please say it ain't so.

rockchalknation 2 years, 4 months ago

Nice hire Pitt! Ready to have you join the Jayhawk Nation Dayne!! Let's get this party started.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 4 months ago

ESPN just announced at the TCY-LT Poinsettia Bowl that Chryst will be the HC at Pitt.

Matthew Pritchard 2 years, 4 months ago

If Crist, Wagner, and Dieter commit, we are on our way to a possible bowl game. Our offensive line is built to run a pro style offense. we have some talent in place on D, it just needs to be coached up. Most important is to snag a good strength and conditioning coach, the S&C coaches under Gill's reign were horrible. I agree with you Matt on waiting for the right DC, Mitchell and Wyatt can hold recruits until one is hired.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Strong work, and words of reason, Matt--Thanks.

BleedCnB 2 years, 4 months ago

Looks more likely that Wisconsin's Paul Chryst is going to be Pittsburgh's next coach.

Steve Williams 2 years, 4 months ago

Dayne just tweeted rock chalk jayawk

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Nice column, Matt, and good to have you back. I have to laugh, though, at the posters on this board who thoroughly trash Tom Keegan when he writes a column such as this that has no new facts and is 100% speculation, etc. Keegan gets trashed for it and you get praised. Human nature, go figure...

Jim Jackson 2 years, 4 months ago

What's with Darrian Miller wanting to transfer? He's going to have to sit out a year? Dude was nasty hope he sticks around.

milehighhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

There was some discussion yesterday that OSU's ineligibility for bowls next year might make Crist more likely to attend UW, since they'd have an easier path to the conference championship.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 4 months ago

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Dude, things got a little hairy when you were gone. We learned about nighttime photography, some random dudes thoughts on the 2005 Irish, and I'm pretty sure TK wrote another take on the hawks joining the Big East.

Damian Glaze 2 years, 4 months ago

Mark me down as one that can finalize judgement of the Weis hiring until I know what is in store for the defense. I desperately hope who we hire for defense is a person that has fire and presence to rally the team and the fans when the other team has the ball. Don't get me wrong, I have always been more into the offensive side of the ball because of my high school days at QB and WR. BUT, I can't bare to watch a defensive team as bad as we have been over the last 2-1/2 years. The defensive hire will drastically affect my fall golf schedule so Charlie better get it right.

Displayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I clicked on a few links at the bottom of Matt's link about Paul Chryst. One was on Crist's trip to Wisconsin and his coversations with current QB Wilson, one was on Bret Biliema (Spelling?) commenting on transfers and the last one was on the 4-star quarterback by the name of Bart Houston that has committed to the Badgers. Suffice to say, the Houston kid could beat out Dayne Crist as the starting quarterback, which is not likely, but the chance is better of that not happening at Kansas. Coach Biliema said he is concerned with the perception with high school kids about taking too many OAD transfers. These all add up to a better opportunity for Crist to play at Kansas in my opinion.

nckujayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Matt, Wouldn't the NCAA's potential ruling over the UNC football violations make Davis a questionable hire?

Kenneth Hillman 2 years, 4 months ago

HA!!!

Yep, thanks for keeping us informed Tait. Happy Festivus

sgtjhwk1 2 years, 4 months ago

Great update, Matt. I was wondering what the status of the DT from Trinity Valley CC, Ty McKinney. I know today is the first day for JUCO players to sign. I haven't heard any updates on him sticking with KU. I know he committed after the TG was fired, but still nervous until we hear for sure he's in! Will be nice to have an actual DT recruit come to KU rather than moving OL or DEs inside.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Matt! Been waiting for an update. Any word on what also may be happening with the kid from BYU? Also, any thoughts or opinions on how our wide receiver situation will impact either QB's decision? As far as offensive weapons go, there still seems to be somewhat of an unknown at that position because we haven't been able to fully utilize it the past couple of years. Also, still wanting some clarity on Darian Miller transfer rumors. Thanks!

Jim Jackson 2 years, 4 months ago

Well done Tait! What does you gut feeling tell you? You think it all comes down to Paul Chryst? I think even if Chryst stays we're still the favorite...

iamakufan 2 years, 4 months ago

Good article and appreciated. Thanks.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know if we are still in the running for Joe Montana???? Keep me posted!

Keith Hummel 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm waiting very patiently as I refresh Twitter every 5 minutes looking for updates.

jhawkjunkie 2 years, 4 months ago

Once again, good stuff Matt. hope you have a Merry Christmas.