What's with all the waiting? Trust me, there's no need to worry.

Charlie Weis makes an opening statement after being introduced by Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger during a news conference Friday in which Weis was announced as the new head football coach. by Nick Krug

All this waiting around for players to make decisions and coaches to be hired kind of stinks.

I know it. You know it. We all know it.

But don’t let the bummer of the wait cloud your view of what’s happening with Kansas University football right now. In fact, it’s very possible that all of this waiting actually could be good for KU. In the very least, it seems that it’s not really that harmful.

Here’s why:

Let’s start with KU’s defensive coordinator opening. Sure, it would be nice to know the name of every member of new KU coach Charlie Weis’ coaching staff, but wouldn’t you rather those names be the right guys?

Hiring a defensive coordinator could be the most important move Weis makes at Kansas. It certainly will go a long way toward determining how his first couple of seasons go, and, because of that, it’s important that he get it right.

Waiting until he feels he’s found the right man for the job increases the odds of KU being successful under Weis. And it really doesn’t do anything to hurt KU’s offseason approach.

For starters, waiting actually increases the size of the pool of candidates. Weis may have his eye on a couple of guys still coaching — be that in bowl games or in the NFL — and would be wise to at least talk to them before picking a coordinator. Going with a guy who's available now just to fill the job could do damage to the entire defensive staff.

I know many think waiting around could delay KU’s efforts to rebuild the defense, but it won’t. It’s a dead period in recruiting, which means that even if Weis had a DC in place, he couldn’t be on the road talking to prospects anyway. Even contact by telephone is limited right now.

All the more reason to let Weis search high and low to make sure he finds the right fit for what he wants to do here at Kansas.

There’s not a lot of talk out there right now about which coaches might be on his list. But my hunch keeps leading me to guys with previous head coaching experience. Whether that’s a guy like Butch Davis (possible), Jim Leavitt (doubtful) or someone else in that category, it wouldn’t surprise me for one second if the new DC comes loaded with experience. In fact, it would surprise me if he doesn’t.

Moving on to the players — specifically the quarterbacks — waiting on these guys to pick a school also can be tough, but the same rules apply here. These guys are making big-time decisions that will affect their futures both in college and possibly the NFL.

Patience is key and it’s my belief that the guys who take longer to make a decision might be the guys you want playing for your team anyway. Most often, the longer a decision takes is an indication that more thought and research went into making it.

In the case of former Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist, who currently is picking between Kansas and Wisconsin for his final season of college football, there are a number of factors in play. Some of them, I touched on in the article we ran today.

Others, like the possibility of Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst being hired as the head coach at Pitt, also factor in to Crist’s decision.

When that decision will come or what his choice will be remains anybody’s guess. But this much seems safe to say: If Chryst leaves Wisconsin, Crist will be coming to Kansas.

Here’s a little more on Chryst’s candidacy at Pitt:

I know this blog didn’t provide the answers that many of you were looking for, but the bottom line here is that most of those answers aren’t out there at the moment.

So get comfortable, sit tight and enjoy the wait. Trust me, it’s not a bad sign.

Comments

jhawkjunkie 2 years, 11 months ago

Once again, good stuff Matt. hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Matt Tait 2 years, 11 months ago

False... But kind of funny. You just won't cut anyone a break, will you!!!

That's why I always go with Happy Holidays. Covers everything.

But thanks, jhawkjunkie.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 11 months ago

Merry Christmas everyone!... and a happy new year

karken1992 2 years, 11 months ago

I can see the Jehovahs Witnesses lining up to picket LJW as we speak. Happy Holidays covers everything huh? Lol

Al Martin 2 years, 11 months ago

Nah, you have to be more passive aggressive. If they tell me "Happy Holidays", I respond "Merry Christmas". If they say "Merry Christmas", I say "Happy Holidays". Keeps anybody who actually cares confused, as they should be.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

If you really want to confuse them, try

Happy Christmas.
Or Merry Holidays.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 11 months ago

I have always said Happy Holidays . I have friends of all religions and I respect them. Happy Holidays!

actorman 2 years, 11 months ago

For those of us who are not Christian, it's nice to hear Happy Holidays. It's not fun to be constantly bombarded with Christmas this and Christmas that, and I appreciate it when people are more inclusive.

You can call that PC if you want, but I call it being considerate of the fact that not everyone thinks the way you do. Perhaps that's a concept that's hard for you to grasp.

So Happy Holidays to everyone. (And Happy Holidays does include Christmas, by the way, in case you didn't realize that.)

peter56321 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm not Christian either. But whether a person wishes me Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Ramadan, Happy Kwanza, or Festivus for the Rest of Us!, I just appreciate the sentiment that the person is being nice to me. But then I try to not be an overly sensitive jerk.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 11 months ago

You mean the same kind of overly sensitive jerk maxhawk is being. I could really care less what people say this time of year and I am not going to complain about people saying happy holidays.. Maxhawk is the same type of person who says that he has the right to say what he wants then turns around and tries to force others to say what he wants them to say...in other words, a hypocrit.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I am a Christian, and I totally agree with your statement about just being appreciative that someone is being nice. In today's society, we need to be thankful anytime anyone is being nice !!

Peace.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah man. I agree. Your religious denomination does little to form your character as a human being. I'm catholic and sure I catch lots of heck for that but really does it matter if I'm that or baptist or lutheran or methodist? I guess it could be argued that your moral fiber is shaped by religion but I find I've become the man I am based on chance and my experiences as well as my profession. That said I'm not very "involved" at church so I guess it could be argued that I am not the typical religious person. Oh well. Hey Merry Fricking Christmas! Happy Flipping New Year! Hope my fun with this didn't offend anyone. No malicious intent just trying to be funny. So smile and have a Happy Holiday. You too Nuleaf!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

You too rxdoc1973 - I'm a little less "grinchy" this Christmas. Partly because of remembering your story and realizing how much I have to be thankful for.

And, as it relates to this site, a new "name" coach and what appears to be a very good QB are a nice start to the New Year! Yippee!!

Tom Gillaspie 2 years, 11 months ago

Christmas as the official holiday is almost as much of a joke as you, good luck getting your a** kicked for the holidays.

DocBean 2 years, 11 months ago

Maxhawk, please find another site, we don't need bigots here.

JayDocMD 2 years, 11 months ago

Festivus is upon us and it warms my heart to see everyone already starting the Airing of Grievances. After the meal: Feats of Strength.

justajoe 2 years, 11 months ago

We need an official ruling: If someone were to smash Maxhawk's keyboard, wouldn't that qualify for both Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength?

LAJayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Um.... what the hell was all of that?? ^^

'Tis the season, I suppose......

[facepalm]

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know if we are still in the running for Joe Montana???? Keep me posted!

Jim Jackson 2 years, 11 months ago

Well done Tait! What does you gut feeling tell you? You think it all comes down to Paul Chryst? I think even if Chryst stays we're still the favorite...

Matt Tait 2 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I'm not saying that it WILL come down to Paul Chryst, just that his status could be contributing to the delay...

The way I see it, the bottom line is this: If Crist wants to play pro football, there's no place better for him than KU. He'll be the starter right away, he'll be in an offense he's familiar with and comfortable with, which should allow him to showcase his skills and he'll be working with one of the top QB coaches in the country, who not only can help him develop in college but also can help him make connections at the next level.

I'll admit that, outside of the stuff on the surface, I haven't really taken the time to find out what else Wisconsin offers, so there could be more there than I or anyone else realizes...

Time will tell.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

Did you see where Crist started following Tre Parmalee on twitter? Not saying that says anything but hey maybe it does?

Matt Tait 2 years, 11 months ago

Interesting... I'd be careful reading too much into that, but it definitely could be a sign of things to come.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

True could be just a courtesy follow.. I see Daymond Patterson is recruiting Crist pretty hard on twitter also.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

Man I figured Crist would have added him alot sooner than the 18 of Dec if they had connections that far back. Once again I am looking WAY too far into stuff! Oh well it beats sitting here bored at work! Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 11 months ago

Good stuff, Matt. Thanks for the updates. Jesse, told me to be patient, too, so, I will do as am told. Old Roy Williams quote there---lol. Happy Holidays, Matt and Jesse.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Matt! Been waiting for an update. Any word on what also may be happening with the kid from BYU? Also, any thoughts or opinions on how our wide receiver situation will impact either QB's decision? As far as offensive weapons go, there still seems to be somewhat of an unknown at that position because we haven't been able to fully utilize it the past couple of years. Also, still wanting some clarity on Darian Miller transfer rumors. Thanks!

Matt Tait 2 years, 11 months ago

Trying to get ahold of Heaps to get some info on what he's thinking. Hopefully I'll have an update soon....

As for Miller and the rest, there's nothing official on the transfers from KU yet. As we've mentioned, guys are going to leave... Who those will be remains to be seen, but I do think there's a better than good chance that Miller will be gone. Too bad. But life goes on.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 11 months ago

I think I'm a little more upset with Miller leaving than a shoulder shrug. The guy is a hell of a player and I will be upset if he leaves and will be very upset if he heads to the sorry Mizz Tiggers!

sgtjhwk1 2 years, 11 months ago

Great update, Matt. I was wondering what the status of the DT from Trinity Valley CC, Ty McKinney. I know today is the first day for JUCO players to sign. I haven't heard any updates on him sticking with KU. I know he committed after the TG was fired, but still nervous until we hear for sure he's in! Will be nice to have an actual DT recruit come to KU rather than moving OL or DEs inside.

Matt Tait 2 years, 11 months ago

Nothing on McKinney yet, but I do believe his commitment is pretty solid. That could change, but I'm guessing he'll sign soon.

I've got my eye on it and will keep you posted.

Kenneth Hillman 2 years, 11 months ago

HA!!!

Yep, thanks for keeping us informed Tait. Happy Festivus

nckujayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Matt, Wouldn't the NCAA's potential ruling over the UNC football violations make Davis a questionable hire?

Displayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I clicked on a few links at the bottom of Matt's link about Paul Chryst. One was on Crist's trip to Wisconsin and his coversations with current QB Wilson, one was on Bret Biliema (Spelling?) commenting on transfers and the last one was on the 4-star quarterback by the name of Bart Houston that has committed to the Badgers. Suffice to say, the Houston kid could beat out Dayne Crist as the starting quarterback, which is not likely, but the chance is better of that not happening at Kansas. Coach Biliema said he is concerned with the perception with high school kids about taking too many OAD transfers. These all add up to a better opportunity for Crist to play at Kansas in my opinion.

Damian Glaze 2 years, 11 months ago

Mark me down as one that can finalize judgement of the Weis hiring until I know what is in store for the defense. I desperately hope who we hire for defense is a person that has fire and presence to rally the team and the fans when the other team has the ball. Don't get me wrong, I have always been more into the offensive side of the ball because of my high school days at QB and WR. BUT, I can't bare to watch a defensive team as bad as we have been over the last 2-1/2 years. The defensive hire will drastically affect my fall golf schedule so Charlie better get it right.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Dude, things got a little hairy when you were gone. We learned about nighttime photography, some random dudes thoughts on the 2005 Irish, and I'm pretty sure TK wrote another take on the hawks joining the Big East.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

I know it isn't proper but I actually blew pop out of my nose when I read that.. especially the part about the Big East

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

I never even messed with twitter until someone said something about following matt on twitter. I then created an account and now I refresh that almost more than I refresh kusports.... Heh I'm glad my job isnt that strict.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

I tryd twttr nd have a hrd tym telln what ppl r sayn. Its not 4 me!

idontgetwhat"#"meanseither

milehighhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

There was some discussion yesterday that OSU's ineligibility for bowls next year might make Crist more likely to attend UW, since they'd have an easier path to the conference championship.

Jim Jackson 2 years, 11 months ago

What's with Darrian Miller wanting to transfer? He's going to have to sit out a year? Dude was nasty hope he sticks around.

bville_hawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Nice column, Matt, and good to have you back. I have to laugh, though, at the posters on this board who thoroughly trash Tom Keegan when he writes a column such as this that has no new facts and is 100% speculation, etc. Keegan gets trashed for it and you get praised. Human nature, go figure...

DevilHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting the same: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11355/1198533-100.stm

My guess is that Crist will announce his decision (officially) once he knows that Chryst to Pitt is a certainty.

Matthew Pritchard 2 years, 11 months ago

If Crist, Wagner, and Dieter commit, we are on our way to a possible bowl game. Our offensive line is built to run a pro style offense. we have some talent in place on D, it just needs to be coached up. Most important is to snag a good strength and conditioning coach, the S&C coaches under Gill's reign were horrible. I agree with you Matt on waiting for the right DC, Mitchell and Wyatt can hold recruits until one is hired.

Mangino_Maniac 2 years, 11 months ago

That's the man I had hoped would be our next head coach.... he's quality.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 11 months ago

ESPN just announced at the TCY-LT Poinsettia Bowl that Chryst will be the HC at Pitt.

rockchalknation 2 years, 11 months ago

Nice hire Pitt! Ready to have you join the Jayhawk Nation Dayne!! Let's get this party started.

Mangino_Maniac 2 years, 11 months ago

Dayne Crist has not visited Pitt...... yet, anyway. lol

If it comes down to which coach to follow at his first year at a new school, I would think Dayne will go with someone he knows as well as he does Charlie Weis. Stranger things have happened, so who knows, but that's my gut feeling.

Al Martin 2 years, 11 months ago

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but going to Pitt wouldn't be any weirder than going to Kansas. If Crist is comfortable with Chryst, then his choices come down to going to one place where there's a coach he likes who's implementing a new system (KU), or going to another place where there's a coach he likes who's implementing a new system (Pitt).

Talent level comparisons between KU and Pitt? Beats me, but Pitt DID win six games this year.

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

Dayne Crist just commited to KU !!! ROCK CHALK!!

Micah Mandy Haase 2 years, 11 months ago

dcrist10 Dayne Crist After a long & difficult decision making process, I'm incredibly excited to join the Kansas football team. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

Does Kelly Donahoe ever get mentioned as a possible position coach at KU?

lawrenceboy3 2 years, 11 months ago

HOORAY! Welcome to the Jayhawk family Dayne!

railer20 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome Dayne and merry christmas jayhawk nation!

Eric Dawson 2 years, 11 months ago

WooHoo! for Crist coming to Kansas!

Now let's get Jake Heaps on board, along with some more D line beef!

Thank you, Charlie, keep the boiler on High and the train speeding to Tomorrow!

KU football fans everywhere are gettin' Stoked for the future!

Thank you Sheahon Zenger! You Da Man!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't know exactly how our team will perform for the next few years, but when I see posts like yours, I lose all hesitation in saying this was a great hire! Fans don't fill seats if they aren't excited about the product, and this hire has clearly energized a large portion of the fan base! That was probably the most disappointing thing about this past season. Even when we had a decent performance, nobody cared. That obviously hurts recruiting and doesn't help the on field results either. In Charlie we trust!!!

gardenjay 2 years, 11 months ago

Jake Heaps coming to KU, according to Jon Kirby of Jayhawkslant.com. It seems news just isn't the same business anymore...