A deeper look at the newest members of KU football's coaching staff

Five days into his career at Kansas, head football coach Charlie Weis already has hired three members of his coaching staff.

Weis, who was introduced last Friday as the Jayhawks’ 37th coach in school history, announced at his introductory news conference that KU’s interim head coach, Reggie Mitchell, had agreed to join Weis’ staff.

Mitchell, who served as the team’s running backs coach and recruiting coordinator under Turner Gill, is expected to continue to coach the KU running backs under Weis.

Tuesday, Weis added to his staff by announcing the hires of offensive line coach Tim Grunhard and quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus.

We’ve got stories up about both hirings, but here’s a little more on Powlus and Grunhard:

RON POWLUS - Former Notre Dame QB, who coached QBs at ND and Akron:

All-access video from Akron:

NBC Sports Video about Powlus:

Here’s a list of Powlus’ Notre Dame records:

TIM GRUNHARD - Former Notre Dame OL, who played in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs and coached high school football at Bishop Miege in Kansas City:

Feature on Grunhard after being hired at Miege:

A good look at Grunhard’s life:

There’s more to “Grunny” than football:

;

Comments

jayhawkerMD 2 years, 10 months ago

Nice to actually say this about KU football = exciting stuff! Looking forward to 2012.

VaJay 2 years, 10 months ago

Hey Matt, is this standard operating procedure for new coaches to hire the lower level coaches before they hire the OC & DC's? It seems to make more sense (where possible) to hire the higher level coaches so they can provide some input on the other hires. Does this show how controlling HCCH is?

Lob_Boblaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Looks like it's right in line with what Weis said at the presser. He's going to run the offense and groom an OC. I read that as he (Weis) would make the offensive decisions . Since he's only hired offensive assistants, that doesn't seem to be a problem. If he hires defensive assistants before his DC, that may be a problem.

JayHok 2 years, 10 months ago

Yep. And in so many ways---ask Tom Brady---that is the best part of having Weis. He is infatuated with finding the holes in defenses and knows the buttons to push. At Notre Dame the signals were crossed as his OC wasn't necessarily running the offensive show as only Weis can.

I'm sure in retrospect he probably sees those two BCS bowl years at Notre Dame could have ended with national titles if he was in complete charge of the offense.

Like he said, chemistry is everything. I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

RCJ

Christopher Hauser 2 years, 10 months ago

I would assume that Weis already knows who the DC and OC are going to be.

DevilHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

These seem like recruiting moves as much as anything else.

He also knows that he needs an excellent staff for the defense. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if he is putting in more time trying to figure out that part of the puzzle.

KFoz 2 years, 10 months ago

I think this all has been a done deal for some time and I am not complaining one bit. I mean really, I cannot conceive the notion that all of this is falling into place so quickly.

1. Thursday morning Muschamp gets a call seeking permission to speak to Weis. Between 7AM and 11AM the Weis family discusses their entire life and a life-changing opportunity.

2. By dinner both Zenger and Weis agree this is a go, just to be approved by BLG in NYC.

3. They are on a plane to Lawrence, KS where someone is tipped off to take photos.

4. Friday, Charlie Weis is announced as the head coach. At some point that day his son is transferring and enrolling at KU in one swoop.

5. Someone made a phone call and Crist magically is here in time for the KU-OH State game.

6. Sunday, Weis begins extending scholarship offers to recruits no where near KU's radar.

7. Weis and Self have breakfast.

8. On Monday, Weis hits the local radio airwaves.

9. Tuesday morning Tim Grunhard is announced. That afternoon Ron Powlus is announced.

If these guys can accomplish that much between Thursday morning to the following Tuesday evening, imagine what they can do in-season.

When did the first conversation actually take place? After the GA Tech game? K-State? TX? aTm? Hey, I am not complaining in the least bit as I love the way this is orchestrated. KU is in the football news cycle every day.

But this didn't happen by accident. And if it is not proper etiquette for the existing coach, who is getting blown out week after week, I can think of six million reasons why Gill is simply shuffling on. The results on the field justify whatever means this was conducted.

The head coach is like a CEO; I doubt you find one over the course of a day. Frankly, any job that pays 7 figures will probably take at least 2 days.

Bravo Zenger. You had KU in the news cycle leading up to Weis, got people and media chatting about KU losing out on Leach, building the suspense throwing out various names, and come out of left field with perhaps the biggest name to date. And in stealth mode; brilliant and awesome strategy and follow through.

It appears that KU football is being run like a genuine business. And a legitimate program. For me, it can only get better from here on out.

rockemchalkemrobots 2 years, 10 months ago

Beano Cook has just predicted that we will win back to back BCS titles!

GridironHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Injuries have a way of derailing even the best predictions...

rockemchalkemrobots 2 years, 10 months ago

Beano's been injured?!? No... Beanooooooooooo!

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Beano also believes that US forces just landed in Normandy.

milehighhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Why were we unable to get Steve Wiesnewski and Dan Marino?

Fire Weis!

Chris Bailey 2 years, 10 months ago

You're joking right? I know you were on the Gill bandwagon and that's fine man but I really hope you're gonna give Weis a fair shake. I think he will do great things. I also have ZERO doubt his teams record will be far better than any under Gill. I'd be so brave as to predict us winning more games in Weis' first season than Gill won in his two combined. I've seen you post quite a bit but not able to read if this is serious or not so no harm on my end you're entitled to your opinion I just hope you can be supportive of the staff and give em a chance.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

I think mhhawk's sarcasm font is broken.

Bob Forer 2 years, 10 months ago

Powlus and Grunhard are certainly big names, but are they big coaches? Grunhard has only coached at the high school level and Akron, where Powlus is the quarterback coach, just suffered through a 1-11 record. Not saying they aren't good coaches. At this point in time all we can do have faith in Charlie and hope for the best.

Their Notre Dame pedigrees certainly should help with recruiting.

Can't say I don't like the hires. Maybe Charlie is on to something. But I do have a feeling that KU Football under Head Coach Charlie Weis will end up at one of two extreme--boom or bust. Only time will tell. But unless and until he fails--and I am not suggesting he will fail----KU football fans owe him our support and respect.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 10 months ago

Danny Manning did not have any coaching experience at all when he came back to KU. I would say that it worked out pretty well. don't you think?

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Excellent point. Either you can or you can't. Danny is my all-time favorite Jayhawk but I would not have said: there's a coach. A pro pedigree helps when it comes to position coaching because what you did for a very long time was work on the technique of your position - which can be effectively shared with young players. I think it is a great hire.

dylans 2 years, 10 months ago

It's always nice to have the next head coach in the wings.

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 10 months ago

That last Grunny video is great. Tim "the tool man" Grunhard doing his best Tim Allen impersonation. The guy will be a B I G hit on the recruiting trail!

JayDocMD 2 years, 10 months ago

So Dayne Crist is currently visiting Delaware (FCS) and is scheduled to go to Wisconsin later this week. I still haven't heard any comments from him on his KU visit.

JayDocMD 2 years, 10 months ago

... and Malzahn is going to Arkansas St. Looks like he was definitely looking to move and we could have had him if we wanted him. His hiring would not have made the splash Weis' did but probably would have been a better long term hire.

onetonhand 2 years, 10 months ago

Grunhard had great technique and was long time pro. He should make a great offensive line coach. He has been offered college coaching jobs before but preferred to stay in The KC area. He has been an outstanding high school head coach. I think he will do a great job at KU. I am excited to have coaches that really want to be at KU.

Paul Rupp 2 years, 10 months ago

Everything that has transpired is something less than a "roll of the dice." Solid, respectible folks each--all with experience at different levels--HCCW having experience at much higher levels than has been KU Football, and maybe not recently satisfied with the results (the results have been Not too Bad, by most standards) Any of you who are not 50+ who understands the opportunity for another seriously run at the bell, are not seeing what is happening here. This is gonna be good.....

DocPossum 2 years, 10 months ago

KU's record in a few years will be determined by the quality of the defense. Regarding that the jury is out.
However Weis, Grunhard, Powlus, and I suspect every other Weis/KU football coaching hire will not tolerate players missing class, off the field arrests, and other negative behavior -all indicative of a lack of discipline. I'm not saying that all, who may eventually leave, fit those categories, but if they are undisciplined how can they help the team win. These coaches all are very positive role models who have had success in the classroom as well as the football field. They will be excellent role models. They also have access to high school football programs across the country and are known as class guys. Very good ambassadors for KU. They also will get KU more football exposure in the media.......good or bad............get used to it.

Hank Cross 2 years, 10 months ago

Here's what I like about all these ND hires - they bring an attitude of expecting success. Granted, ND hasn't been the program it thinks it is for decades. But, they believe and expect to be in the BCS title picture. Before you can achieve something, you must believe that you can do it.

That goes with getting coaches who don't have a B8/12 background who have already been programmed to accept that KUFB will always suck and must always be tackling dummies for OU or UT. Lawrwence and KU have it all over places like Stillwater and Lubbock. Just need to start giving quality recruits a decent FB program.

ja3hawk 2 years, 10 months ago