A&M officially notifies Big 12 of its intentions

The first step is now out of the way... sort of.

For the first time since Conference Realignment Part Deux reared its ugly head, officials from Texas A&M have let their intentions be known.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, A&M president R. Bowen Loftin said: "As I have indicated previously, we are working very deliberately to act in the best long-term interests of both Texas A&M and the state of Texas. This truly is a 100-year decision. While we understand the desire of all parties to quickly reach a resolution, these are extremely complex issues that we are addressing methodically."

During the past couple of weeks, Loftin and other A&M officials had confirmed that conversations between the Aggies and the SEC were ongoing, but this was the first we've seen in terms of them saying that they are actively pursuing their options.

Many have believed all along that the Aggies will leave the Big 12, leaving the conference, which lost Colorado and Nebraska a year ago, with just nine teams. Conference and university officials have said the league would and could survive with nine teams but the rumor mill has been hot with talk about which schools the Big 12 might pursue should they look to expand to 10, 12 or even 16 in the wake of A&M's departure.

With A&M all but gone — all that needs to happen now is the SEC has to invite them officially and the Aggies have to cough up some cash — let's turn our attention to potential replacements.

Here's a quick look at what's being talked about around the web regarding the new-look Big 12.

This report, from the Dallas Morning News, says SMU is openly auditioning for a spot.

This one, from Vahe Gregorian of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, says Notre Dame, BYU and Air Force are at the top of the Big 12's wish list.

This one's short but sweet and says the Louisville likely won't leave the Big East even if invited to the Big 12.

Houston's another name that keeps popping up. Here's where the Cougars stand as of a couple of weeks ago.

Some of these are a week or so old. Some are fresh. But now that A&M's out in front of this thing a little bit, expect the rumors to start flying again.

The guess here is that the Big 12 will sit at nine teams until it's reasonably sure that it can make a splash with expansion. Does that include Notre Dame? It should. But if the Irish truly aren't interested, then it wouldn't have to.

Adding Notre Dame would be hitting the jackpot, one of those where the coins come pouring out so fast you can't keep your bucket in front of them fast enough.

But if Notre Dame chooses to remain independent or explores a home elsewhere, there are plenty of other prizes that would pad the Big 12's pocket book just fine. It may take a few pulls to get there, but my guess is it would be worth the wait.

Stay tuned...

;

Comments

Randy Maxwell 3 years ago

Why not court TCU? Dallas area is a plus. Great football.

Matt Tait 3 years ago

There's been talk that Texas wants no part of adding TCU... The Longhorns already have the Dallas market well in hand and, on top of that, don't need to add a team in their own backyard that can compete with them in football, both on the field and in recruiting.

I'm not saying TCU won't be looked at, but I'd bet money against them joining the league.

Krohnutz 3 years ago

^This plus more. Dallas is as much OU people moved south as it is TCU people. I have also heard that, for whatever reason, the Baylor and TCU people hate each other. I have no idea why, I'm sure it is a completely moronic reason.

Look, TCU is in a great spot outside of the travel. They get a BCS conference that is insanely weak. They can compete right away for bigtime spots, they get exposure in a massive amount of the United States, and they don't have to deal with any drama. I seriously doubt that TCU looks to leave as long as the Big (L)East has that automatic bid.

If I had to put money on it, I would say even if an offer was made that TCU would decline.

Sparko 3 years ago

For optics alone, Texas needs to not imply it has a single school veto ever again. This is the kind of thing that makes living the Big XII desirable.

Sparko 3 years ago

Leaving the Big XII. Sorry Dr. Freud. . .

Kevin Randell 3 years ago

I though TCU has committed to the Big East? Look, A&M....I am not heart broken over them leaving. But I agree....we need to get back to a 12 or even a 14 team conference. I would love to add BYU, Air Force, SMU, and try for Notre Dame...which is a long shot. Louisville would be a great Football AND Basketball add.

Krohnutz 3 years ago

Yeah it would be impossible for them to work a deal to make more money in the Big 12. It just doesn't allow for branding.... Just ask UT.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Krohnutz sarcasm is exactly correct. They would make the ton of money they already get, plus a ton more. NBC contract plus conference revenue sharing. It's win/win.

Plus their falling ratings would get a huge boost with Texas and OU on the schedule every year.

It's definitely a long shot, but Notre Dame could benefit big time by coming to the Big 12.

kureader 3 years ago

BYU, maybe Air Force. It would be nice to add 3 and resume a 12 school league. I guess with BYU, there would be two Big 12 schools that don't allow boys to see girls after 10 pm.

SMU ... Like TCU, Texas won't want them. We wouldn't want SMU either, but I'd be really pleased if we could just add their cheerleaders somehow.

Notre Dame won't move. They're thumbed their noses at the Big 10 a number of times. And, its basketball team is already in the Big East.

Houston ... I hope not ... we have more than enough Texas schools.

Fun speculation. The Big 12 is ready for this one, after the mess we went through last year. It will work out fine.

texashawk10 3 years ago

Why would not want SMU. SMU would have the second largest endowment of any school in the Big 12 and I'm sure quite a bit of the money is earmarked specifically for the athletic department.

Also considering the hotbed of recruiting for both football and basketball, playing games in Dallas itself would be great for the north schools that don't play there on a regular basis.

SMU is probably 4th or 5th on the Big 12's wishlist and along with Houston are schools that I could see Texas being fine with because both are good programs that would be competitive with the mid and lower tier schools in the conference, but wouldn't challenge Texas or Oklahoma on a consistent basis for a Big 12 title

omari1911 3 years ago

Don't Mess With Texas... er, uh... Texas Is a Mess.

Seems to me that none of the prospects from the state of Texas will work out. Either UT is going to have a problem with them horning in on their business (no pun intended), or they just won't have much to offer the league in terms (e.g., SMU).

Kevin Randell 3 years ago

These are all good and valid points, but in the end OU and Texas will not settle for a 10 team conference. There is a movement/arms race in college football slowly developing. If the BCS is still allowed to run the Championship and there is not a legit playoff system, we will see the development of 4 mega conferences composing of 16 teams in each conference. The rest of the teams will be left out. So...unless we be proactive OU and Texas will jump ship. The next few years will determine either the expansion of the Big XII or the death of it.

texashawk10 3 years ago

It's very possible that OU could jump ship at some point, but Texas simply can't do anything because of their network. Unless they totally restructure the way the network is currently setup, there is no major conference that wants anything to do with Texas. Because of this, Texas has every motivation in the world to make the Big 12 work or they will be left out in the cold unless they make major concessions with the revenue of their network or agree to let it become a conference network.

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

Yay, im not the only one who believes the bcs is the problem!

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

It's been pretty out there that Texas and OU enjoy not having a 12 team conference, because they don't want to have to play a championship game. That way, the OU/Texas game is the most important in the conference, and the winner probably goes to a BCS game most years.

Tracy Rogers 3 years ago

The Big 12 won't even exist in about 5 or 6 years. There will be 4 "super" conferences of 16 teams, and I'd wager to bet that they'll be the Pac 10, Big 10, SEC, and either ACC or Big East.

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

A Golden Dome buddy of mine says "ND football "income" is on the north-end of $75,000,000 with an endowment of $8,000,000,000 to feed and house a school of 12,000 students---undergrad and graduate. We have scheduled both Texas and Oklahoma in the coming years and may even have a football team that can match up. Money on the margin is not the issue--this place is different…or weird…take your pick Right now, the big fight is whether to install turf grass and/or a Jumbotron…and the battle is vicious!"

Krohnutz 3 years ago

Your golden domed buddy is on white powder.

When you said, "We have scheduled both Texas and Oklahoma in the coming years and may even have a football team that can match up," is when I really started laughing.

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

That was his pride talking. The financial part was what he was focusing on and he saw no reason for them to seek out or be sought out by the Big 12. They like being independent in football and like the Big East connection as that keeps all the Subway Alums and the other Domers back East involved.

chicagojayhawk87 3 years ago

Notre Dame, BYU and Air Force would be great... Except there is absolutely no chance of Notre Dame. They turned down the Big 10! If we want to keep the Big12 alive longer than another 2 seasons we gotta get BYU and Air Force. BYU would be a great addition being a solid basketball and football school, Air Force not so bad either. SMU...meh, but I can't see TCU leaving the Big East. Louisville...I don't see us getting them either. What about CFU. I know Florida is a long ways away, but we get the Orlando market and a top 20 football team. Just throwing some more ideas out there.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Can everyone stop using Notre Dame not joining the Big 10 as reasoning for them not coming to the Big 12? I'm not saying they will join the Big 12 -- it is a tremendous long shot -- but Big 12/Big 10 is apples and oranges. The Domers COULD NOT keep their NBC contract with the Big 10.... they CAN with the Big 12. That is an enormous difference, and the only reason we would have a shot.

So stop dismissing it simply on the "they didn't join the Big 10" reasoning. It doesn't apply to this situation.

Notre Dame has a massive ego and loves their independent status which has for years stroked said ego. That is much, much more likely a reason why they won't join. But there is certainly a possibility, albeit a slim one.

Ron Prichard 3 years ago

Amen on the Big 10 comparison!!! I have thought the same thing every time I have heard that argument. With the Big 10, ND could either join or keep their network. With the Big 12, ND could join and keep their network. Such a huge difference it makes any comparison meaningless.

While ND has a massive ego, I think some people in power there may realize they are declining in national athletic prominence. Texas, Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, and several others have overtaken them in national appeal.

I'm not saying they will join the Big 12 (I agree it is a slim chance) but I have to think that joining Texas as the other "biggest fish" in what would automatically become possibly the most prestigous football conference overnight would have some appeal. They could keep their own network and would get a share of a huge TV deal through the conference and play against Texas and OU every year. Their visibility goes up even more and the league is vaulted to the top of the power conference food chain.

Kevin Randell 3 years ago

I wouldn't put it past them to focus on BYU, Air Force or Colorado State, and SMU. That will probably be the prudent and financial decision. That way the conference picks up the Salt Lake and Denver markets.

Steve Hillyer 3 years ago

Nobody in Denver watches CSU, their stadium barely seats 30,000. The only schools that make sense are BYU and ND, good luck on both of those. KU administrators better be talking to some other conferences or we're toast. Hopefully we can squeeze into the Big Ten or Pac Ten.

chicagojayhawk87 3 years ago

Plus Colorado Stae is in Fort Collins. They have neither a good football program or basketball program. The Pac 12 would be ok for us. Maybe taking KSU OSU and OU rounding out a 16 team conference?

Also what are the ties we have with KSU? If a conference wants us but not KSU what is the deal then?

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Matt Tait has reported several times that we do not have to stay with KSU. The regents would like it, but no one is going to harm one of the schools so they can stay together.

The rumor on the PAC 16 option has been OU, OSU, KU and Mizzou.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Stop it! Stop it! Stop it with the name game! From now on anyone that suggest a team without saying the following sentence will be deleted:

I cannot wait to watch the (name of team) play tonight.

This is about TV dollars and 99.9% of the teams people are mentioning don't fit for drawling revenue. Just because the school is in a large market doesnt mean people care to watch them play And the .1% will be joining the big10.

texashawk10 3 years ago

That's why Notre Dame, BYU, and Air Force are the Big 12's top 3 choices. Those are the only 3 schools that add new fanbases to the Big 12. Notre Dame and Air Force both add national followings because of their religious and military affiliations. BYU adds a large following that is in just about every major TV market west of the Mississippi. Anybody after those 3 schools are just fillers.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

1) nd is not coming. 2) tell me if you're going to watch byu play air force on a Saturday...yeah, neither am I.

texashawk10 3 years ago

1) I don't think most people expect ND to come, but the Big 12 still needs to make a pitch to them. 2) Yes, because I'm from an Air Force family. I'll also watch Air Force play anybody else when they're on TV. I would also venture to guess that there is a pretty sizable Mormon population that would watch as well along with any other BYU match up.

While you may not give a rats a$$ about a Mormon school and a military academy, there are millions of people in this country who do and are blindly loyal to those two programs and you're a total moron if you truly believe that BYU and Air Force have nothing to offer an AQ conference.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

AF family, eh? Plenty of soft serve ice-cream for everyone!

Hoorah

Krohnutz 3 years ago

I'll watch too bud. Air Force for life!

Unfortunately you can't convince some people of their value if they just refuse to see it. It is funny when they talk about how the only thing that matters is TV sets, then argue the Air Force has no TV value, and then say that KU has TV value because "we have KU people everywhere."

I can remember being at Edwards AFB and the base was abuzz because Air Force was playing Navy that night. I don't recall any other Air Force member but the Nutz being excited over a KU game in any sport....

Seriously. Go to the Academy once in your life. Do yourself a favor and make it in Spring. Then tell me you don't want that school in your conference.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

Yep, which is why I've said repeatedly it's Notre Dame or PAC 16.

Krohnutz 3 years ago

We should get Colorado so we can capture the Denver market. Then we could expand our markets to Lincoln by adding in Nebraska.

Wait, wait... Where is my "smokin' device?" I'll come up with a third soon.

Krohnutz 3 years ago

I like where you are going with this, the Houston market would open up that South Texas recruiting pipeline. Maybe we could work a sweet TV deal for this "new" Big 12!

Man, what a conference THAT would be!

Wait, wait... I dropped my smoking device....

texashawk10 3 years ago

A&M was approached by UT to form a joint TV network several years ago and A&M said no thanks. I find it very ironic that A&M is going to leave the conference over something UT offered to share with them.

kureader 3 years ago

One Poll's Preseason Football Rankings - 120 Teams

1 - Oklahoma 6 - Oklahoma State 12 - Texas A&M 15 - TCU 28 - Texas 32 - Air Force 39 - BYU 52 - Houston 53 - SMU 85 - Kansas 94 - Colorado State

texashawk10 3 years ago

Notre Dame absolutely has to be the first school Commissioner Dodds (yes I know officially it's Beebe) calls when the Big 12 decides to expand. Landing Notre Dame would guarantee that the Big 12 would be able to expand to 16 teams and be one of the four superconferences when that happens. That said, I just don't see anyway Notre Dame joins the Big 12. If they ever join a conference (I think they will when the superconferences form), it will either be the Big 10 or Big East with the Big 10 the more likely choice.

Here's what I got out of the 4 articles linked to in this article. SMU and Houston both want to be in a BCS conference, but the only way either of them gets an invite to the Big 12 is if the conference goes to 12 teams, with Houston being the more likely choice as a 12th member. Louisville isn't going to jump ship unless it's to the SEC because they are a basketball first school and are in a basketball conference. Lastly, Notre Dame is the clear top choice for Big 12 expansion followed by BYU and Air Force because all three add a following outside of the immediate area around their campuses.

I think these 4 articles do paint a picture that the Big 12 is Texas and Oklahoma along with a bunch of interchangeable parts and based on past articles over the last few weeks, Texas and OU both like having Kansas around because of basketball. While the Big 12 would prefer to expand outside of their current footprint, I do think they will have to add at least 1 Texas school if they expand back to 12 teams.

Ben Kliewer 3 years ago

Hey...at least somebody wants us around... Does Texas not want K-State around because KSU apparently owns them?

hawkbono1313 3 years ago

A&M in SEC is the death of A&M football.

Krohnutz 3 years ago

Well, not the "death" per se. They will be getting sexxed up way too often to be called "dead."

Krohnutz 3 years ago

I can't wait for this to happen. I'm actually stoked that this is finally happening.

If the Big 12 implodes I'm fine with that.

"Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation."

Let's give it a good shake and see what falls out!

Jonathan Allison 3 years ago

maybe we could form a new conference with the University of Phoenix.

Ron Prichard 3 years ago

They do have a national following...

texashawk10 3 years ago

Screw the University of Phoenix, Go ITT Tech!!!

newmedia 3 years ago

Arkansas would be an easy drive...

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years ago

Missouri State makes a lot of sense to join the Big 12.

They have a student enrollment of almost 19,000. They have a brand new basketball facility...JQH Arena.

The only draw back is that they would have to expand their football stadium...which is a little small right now.

Arkansas will not leave the SEC.

LAJayhawk 3 years ago

And they have Terry Allen as their head coach.

Oh, wait, that's probably not a selling point....

Scott Oswalt 3 years ago

Adding Missouri State would be a step backwards for the Big 12.

texashawk10 3 years ago

I believe the tongue was firmly placed in cheek on that suggestion.

tychi_jayhawk 3 years ago

I love how everyone becomes a NCAA expert when conference realignment burns through the headlines. The simple fact is money talks. Anyone who says "they'll never go there" truly has no clue how big time universities operate. If the dollars are there, anything can happen.

I do like the message coming from the Big12. Beebe has stated they'll aggressively pursue other options. To me that means "We are not going to be left standing without a chair when the 16 team power conference music stops.". I like that. Take the offensive. Let the Big East and ACC get torn apart. Everyone thinks that because the Big12 is wounded they're as good as dead.

Its like Game of Thrones: everyone thinks House Stark is gone but you know they're coming back! King of the North!

Ben Kliewer 3 years ago

Houston seems like the most likely candidate, but I agree that we need to talk "expansion" back to at least 12 teams. It just kind of sucks that we have to expand to get back to where we were in the first place (of the Big 12 conference's existence, that is). Joining the Big 12 would be awesome for SMU, but not really any kind of great pickup for the conference. I wonder if there would be any awkward moments where Dan Beebe and SMU pass each other in the hallway and have the old "Oh, hey...how's it...how's it going?" awkward smalltalk. (Sports History Joke, did you get it?) Air Force, I guess it would be good to have a military school in the conference, just for that whole idea of being associated with a military school, but Air Force's football prestige isn't really a big score. Notre Dame is a long shot, but that's the kind of action we need to be going for. BYU would be a good pickup too. Louisville would fit great in the conference in both Football and Basketball, but it sounds like they're not interested...hmmmmmm. I'd love TCU, but it doesn't sound like that's even close to being on the table.

Robert Brock 3 years ago

Please, no more Texas schools. Especially SMU. Ford Stadium has a capacity of 32,000. Moody Arena has a capacity of 9,000. They don't have men's track & field. Not a serious athletic bunch at SMU. Cute cheerleaders as a consolation.

texashawk10 3 years ago

The Big 12 is going to have to seriously consider at least 1 Texas school if they go back to 12 teams, especially if they're expanding from 8 schools which is still possible. There just aren't 3 or 4 viable candidates that would join the Big 12 that aren't in the state of Texas.

SMU would have the option to play games at either the Cotton Bowl or Cowboys Stadium for their bigger games and right now would have the 3rd largest endowment in the Big 12 behind Texas and Texas A&M and I'm guessing that plenty of that money is earmarked for the athletic department. They are also working on raising funds to renovate Ford Stadium to at least 40,000 seats. As for not having men's track & field, so what. Iowa St. doesn't have a baseball program and neither did Colorado, KState doesn't have softball or women's soccer, and Oklahoma St. doesn't have a volleyball program.

Robert Brock 3 years ago

SMU is just not a good fit. It is a pleasant, small school. I lived in Dallas twenty-five years and firmly believe that the Ponies should downgrade athletics further while amping up academics. I don't see "big-time" when I look at SMU.

Chris1955 3 years ago

Maybe another way to look at this is how many networks would/could have interest in a 16 team conference? ABC, CBS, ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC?

For argument's sake, lets drop NBC due to the Notre Dame connection. Therefore, let's say there are 4 bridegrooms. Four 16 team conferences with a total of 64 BCS eligible universities. There are three firm conferences that I don't see imploding. These would be the SEC, PAC-whatever, and the Big WHATEVER (formerly Big TEN). That means that the conferences vying for the 4th position are our conference (Big XII), ACC, and Big East.

The Big XII is falling apart and its components lend themselves to scavanged by other conferences. This leaves the ACC as the next most viable conference, which I believe will also suffer at the hands of the SEC. The Big East is not a football powerhouse conference. This leads to the creation of the Trans America Conference. I'm going to predict that Notre Dame, Texas, and BYU will become independents.

My Crystal Ball foresees the following allignment, resulting in 67 BCS eligible teams:

SEC

Arkansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Clemson
Florida State

Big 16

Penn. St. Ohio St. Michigan Mich. St. Purdue Indiana Illinois Northwestern Wisconsin Iowa Minnesota Nebraska Rutgers Pittsburgh Missouri Kansas

Pac 16

Washington Wash. St. Oregon Oregon St. California Stanford UCLA USC Arizona Arizona St. Utah Colorado Oklahoma BYU Ok. St. Texas Tech

Trans America

Boston College Syracuse West Virginia Maryland Virginia Virginia Tech North Carolina NC St. Duke Miami TCU Louisville Cincinnati Baylor Kansas St. Iowa St.

Feel free to fire away!

Jonathan Allison 3 years ago

abc owns espn, so they are a package.

NBC would be the 4th network, and if the "superconference" scenario plays out, I'd bet they'd want their piece of the pie.

Kip_McSmithers 3 years ago

You have Arkansas twice in the SEC.

Chris1955 3 years ago

Ooops! Forgot about Uconn. Substitute Uconn for Baylor!

Chris1955 3 years ago

Oops II Boise St. should have replaced BYC in the Pac 16!

texashawk10 3 years ago

Oops III, how many Arkansas' are there now?

Plus, what happens to South Florida, Wake Forest, and Georgia Tech? I don't think those 3 schools are going to give up AQ status without any kind of a fight.

I could be missing more than those 3, but those are the 3 AQ schools that I noticed were absent from your list.

Josh Galler 3 years ago

if TAMU leaves I think Big East, ACC, and Big 12 should talk to merge

Big 12 gets to make 14 TCU Louisville Cincy Pittsburgh WVU

and to add BYU and SMU or Houston or Airforce to make 16

ACC to 16 Rut UCONN Syracuse USF

Then rest of Big East to stay Big East, and ND would stay in the Big East with all other sports

Josh Galler 3 years ago

North division would be

ISU KSU KU MU CINCY Louis Ptt WVU

South TCU OU OSU UT TT Baylor SMU BYU

we are not naming Legends and Leaders like BIg 10 +2

Charlotte_Jhawk 3 years ago

Chris1955: I like your analysis, it seems the future is four 16 team conferences. It also provides a playoff opportunity. However your plan would leave Texas, BYU and ND out of the play off picture which would be a problem.

I just hope the KU football program improves. I like the current focus on speed. Maybe we can evolve to a Bill Walsh-like Stanford team (he always recruited track stars) or the STL Rams greatest show on turf. We also need some physical linebackers.

Kent Wells 3 years ago

I'd like Austin Peay and South Carolina to join the XII - (2-x), It would be fun to hear those chants. And don't even get me started about Morehead State. That is just a pipe dream.

texashawk10 3 years ago

There's going to be 68 teams with AQ affilitions (67 in conferences + Notre Dame) starting in 2012 and depending on if the Big East and Big 12 expand, you could see up to 75 teams with AQ status. If it gets to that point, I would think it would actually be easier to have five 16 team super conferences by finding 5 more schools than subtracting 11 universities because that could get expensive with the lawsuits that would ensue. Even if those schools lost the case, the legal fees would be ridiculously high. I think the Big East would eventually be the conference that disappears in this scenario with the ACC, Big 10, and Big 12 dividing up their schools.

For now, we know there will be 68 schools in 2012 and Texas A&M leaving for the SEC could be the trigger. To determine the 4 schools who would be left out in the cold and lose AQ status, you have to start with schools that are historically terrible at football. From that list of schools, you have find schools that are terrible at basketball or are a terrible geographic fit in the reshuffling.

There are 2 schools that immediately jump to mind for this and they are Iowa St. and Wake Forest.

Iowa St. has won 2 football conference titles all-time (1911 and 1912) and 10 basketball conference titles (4 tournament, 6 regular season)

Wake Forest is the smallest AQ school and has only won 2 football conference titles and 10 basketball titles (5 tournament, 5 regular season)

That means there would be 2 more schools that would get the boot, but I don't really have any particular schools in mind as to who could get left out in the cold.

5to6 3 years ago

I also see consolidation on the horizon, but I'm not entirely convinced of the magic number of 4x16 as many have predicted. I could see the following:

1. SEC completes expansion to 16 by grabbing VA Tech from ACC, aTm and Oklahoma St from the Big 12, and (surprise here) takes TCU to solidify the DFW market in TX. TCU is available because...

2. ACC engulfs the football Big East by taking West Virginia, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, and Syracuse to get to 16 total. This expands them into geographically relevant markets, adds even more cachet to their basketball brand, and gets them solid football teams.

3. Big 10 completes expansion to 16 by grabbing KU, OU, and MU from Big 12, plus Rutgers from Big East. This gets them into the NYC metro area as has been speculated previously, plus gets them big state schools in new markets with the Big 12 stragglers, including football power OU. The Nubs would probably welcome the Sooners back and be an advocate for this expansion, as they'd expect to handle KU and MU handily in football.

4. Pac 12 only expands by 2 to 14, by taking Texas Tech from the Big 12, and (surprise) New Mexico from the Mountain West. aTm is already taken by the SEC, UT's Longhorn Network forces them finally to join ND and BYU as independents, leaving Tech as the last big school in TX for the Pac 12 to take. UNM is a questionable value add, but serves as a geographic bridge between old Pac 12 and makes a good rival for new members CU and TT.

5. Mountain West reverses overall contraction, and expands to 9 with the addition of KSU, ISU, and Baylor.

6. Conference USA adds remaining Big East football schools Cincinnati and South Florida. The remaining Big East basketball-only programs would then find new alliances with an expanded C-USA hoops league (similar to the current Big East) or perhaps some reshuffling/expansion of the A-10.

rob4lb 3 years ago

Unless they can make a big splash by bringing in Notre Dame (which I seriously doubt), the Big 12 is just buying time by adding any other school from Texas or the Mountain West Conference.

It is always interesting to speculate, but I don't see the dominos falling that quickly. The SEC takes A&M and someone else- maybe Louisville or Va Tech or Florida State. That may be it. The Big East and/or ACC can choose to make a move or not by adding some non BCS schools.

If the SEC has 14 schools, the Big 10 and Pac 12 do not have to increase to 14 and probably won't. Only if the Big 12 completely collapses will you see the dominos fall rapidly.

Maracas 3 years ago

No more schools from Texas. Repeat after me. No more schools from Texas.

Jonathan Allison 3 years ago

If the Big 12 can add Notre Dame, I'd guess they stop at 10 teams.

If the Big 12 can't add Notre Dame, they may go to 12 teams.

University of Houston has to be an option to replace Texas A&M. UH is building a new football stadium, and also has access to Reliant Stadium. And UH actually does have a pretty big following (especially when they are good). The UH athletic teams of the 80's and early 90's are legendary around the Houston area.

texashawk10 3 years ago

UH #4 in their own city after Texas, Texas A&M, and LSU. When UH is good, theycan draw well, but UH is one of the most fair weathered fan bases out there. I'ved lived ih Houston 20+ years and I know two die hard Cougar fans. Most people I know that went to UH went there because they didn't get in to their first choice which was usually UT or A&M.

The other points are good ones and ones I've used to point out why UH would be a good 12th team to add, but even when they're good, they're still second fiddle at best to Texas in local coverage.

justinryman 3 years ago

Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, Hey hey hey

GOODBYE!!!!!

jgkojak 3 years ago

Ten things Notre Dame gains the following by joining the B12:

1) They have to join a conference some time. Every conference that has a 9 game conf schedule loses a game to schedule Notre Dame, and most power teams have nothing to gain from playing a potential loss in the non-con. The day is coming when NDs sched looks like a CUSA team .

2) They don't want to be in the Big 10. They have made that clear. Its a little like Texas not wanting TCU in the B12 - they'll have 5-6 power football schools in close proximity, and they have enough trouble recruiting due to higher academic standards. Being in the B12 solves that problem.

3) They have/want their own network deals. The B10 will never allow them to maintain a national deal separate from their conference. That's what the B12 is all about!

4) Texas wants them. Texas wants a national fanbase - and ND would love a marquee game every year vs. Texas.

5) No championship game. A 10 team league is also appealing because they want a straight shot at a BCS/Nat Champ berth.

6) The Big East is deader than even the B12.

7) Basketball. The Big East schedule is brutal - because its bullsh*t. Its too long, there are too many mid-grade (i.e. #50 RPI) opponents and they'll never escape with less than 4-5 losses in the best year. Being in the B12 allows them to go for a 1 or 2 seed in good years.

8) POWER. If they join, they're a power like Texas and can essentially dictate their own terms. Since they don't share recruiting territory with Texas, Texas doesn't perceive them as a threat. In the B10 they're one of 13-16 teams on equal footing.

9) New TV markets. St Louis has a large Catholic population. Texas.

10) It'll piss off the B10.

Krohnutz 3 years ago

These are all very solid arguments.

With the exception of the ending to ending of #2 with the "higher academic standards" part. Only Notre Dame people actually believe that.

If you don't think all schools come equipped with "special academic tracks" for certain athletes yo are fooling yourself. Not saying we are not guilty. Also not saying we are as good at the game as say.... Duke basketball.

But who here really thinks the Irish teams of the 1980's were academic elites?

Other than that, a fantastic post.

Here is a funny thing about Notre Dame. UT is the ONLY school elite enough in the country to actually possibly have sway with ND decision makers. It is like the belief that you are totally awesome is enough in common to make you friends with someone else who believes they are also as totally awesome... or awesomer, or something. Instead of, "Hey I like to ride my motorcycle," its, "Hey I am totally the greatest thing on the planet." And then the other responds, "Really, you too? FRIGGIN AWESOME!" Then rulers come out and pants hit the floor. You get the idea.

My wife grinned at that last part.

lawslady 3 years ago

ANYONE who thinks Notre Dame is a viable option needs to back up and think it out from their stand point. They are happy and doing fine, just as they are. They are already dictating their own terms. And making a ton of money they do not have to share with anyone. And with far fewer restrictions. They have long been courted by all kinds of conferences. They have nothing to gain, and much to lose, by joining any conference. They really do not want to join a conference and nothing says they have to. SO you can just forget about it.

tychi_jayhawk 3 years ago

Most of your comments are vague and way off base.

"They really do not want to join a conference and nothing says they have to"

Uh, yes they do want to join a conference. They tried to join the B10 1999 and almost succeeded. There was plenty of support in South Bend at the time.

"They have nothing to gain, and much to lose, by joining any conference."

Really? What would they be losing? Seriously. What? I'll tell you what they do gain, Texas recruiting and a chance at BCS autobid every year.

"They are already dictating their own terms. And making a ton of money they do not have to share with anyone. And with far fewer restrictions"

What money will they lose? Are you assuming that they lose money simply by joining any conference? What restrictions are you alluding to?

FACTS, PLEASE.

lawslady 3 years ago

Dyrk Dugan 3 years ago

ND would be a great fit because, as stated above, they would keep their own network......plus they would get exposed to the rich recruiting areas and TV viewers of Texas. this would be direct impact...they already have a national following...it would get directly upgraded with Texas.

exactly how would ND fans and alumni object to that? the same deal with NBC...their same radio network....they could still play USC and Purdue every year (Michigan and Mich St. would probably go away), and then they get OU and UT every year? OU and ND every year? my goodness the fanfare and exposure for both schools would be huge. Plus, KU at Notre Dame every other year? instant NBC viewer eyeballs on us....a total win-win.

aTm leaves, there should be an all out push for the Irish...if we can't land 'em we can't land 'em, but we should sure try.

Ozarkace68 3 years ago

As I mused over all of the rumors flying around I focused on Texas rumors as not only are they the biggest but usually end up being the most accruate. So far they seem to focus on four areas. Politics, money, the Longhorn Network, and the counter balance team for A&M in the SEC.

Politics being what they are in Texas, just because A&M says it is going doesn't mean the legislature and/or other Austin political forces will go along with it. Finances being what they are, there is a story on the street in Dallas that A&M does not have the financial resources to buy their way out of the Big XII and the SEC will not touch them until that part of the deal is done. The LHN is something that is being watched by all NCAA sports institutions. Its legal standing has not been tested yet and could be used by A&M to leave the Big XII without paying a penalty. Finally, who does the SEC find to balance the conference? A good debate topic but I do not see a strong candidate in the wings and several member roadblocks to possible candidates.

Bottom line, the much maligned Aggies once again may become their own worst joke before they become the door mat of the SEC.

Becca Farish 3 years ago

The big 12 needs to act and act fast. Its bad enough that another team is leaving the conference but i feel its going to be extremely hard to court any school from another MAJOR conference when all those schools see is schools leaving the big 12. Why would they leave there conference to go to one that might not last. I am hoping i'm wrong. I dont see ND coming when they could go anywhere if they wanted. We dont need SMU its just another texas school when we already have the texas market. If the big 12 is able to go after other schools a major conference its going to have to be a big power play and they will have to be the first to go to a 16 team super conference so other schools feel comfortable coming in. ANY THOUGHTS ??????