Around the Web in 7 Days: Scouting Southern Miss

After one week of the 2010 season, the Kansas University football program had fallen out of the national spotlight, thanks to a heartbreaking home loss to Div. I-AA foe North Dakota State in the opener.

Many folks throughout the state of Kansas — and the nation — had jumped off the Jayhawks’ bandwagon and were ready to dismiss the season as another disappointing year in the program’s history.

But now, after last week’s shocking victory against No. 15 Georgia Tech, the Jayhawks are back on the map and people around the country are talking about KU being relevant once again.

Nowhere is that talk more prevalent than in Mississippi, where the those who cover the Southern Miss Eagles — KU’s foe this Friday at 7 p.m. on ESPN — are taking a closer look at Kansas than they might have expected.

This week’s “Around the Web in 7 Days” takes us south, where a trio of papers near Brett Favre’s hometown have tossed out their early looks at the KU-USM matchup.

Week 1: Kansas Jayhawks (1-1) vs.Southern Miss Golden Eagles (1-1):

Southern Miss now looking at Kansas, from The Hattiesburg American. It’s interesting to note that the Eagles were off on Monday, while the Jayhawks hit it hard.

Also from the Hattiesburg American, here’s a quick injury update from the Southern Miss camp.

This report, from the Biloxi Sun-Herald, indicates that the Southern Miss coaches see a lot of similarities between USM and KU when looking at the Jayhawks.

The Eagles are searching for continued improvement on defense and this report, from The Mississippi Press, outlines exactly what areas the USM coaches are watching.

Lastly, in a quick look back at last week’s win against Prairie View A&M, this Hattiesburg American article focuses on a couple of No. 7’s who played especially well in Week 2.

;

Comments

Ron Prichard 4 years ago

I think this is a great idea! I love reading the point of view of our upcoming opponents. It would also be cool to have an article that links to the post-game articles of our opposing teams. I would love to know what GTech writers, players and fans were saying after the KU game. I know we heard the players' post game comments as given to the LJW writers immediately after the game, but what was the fallout over the next few days? I would be interested in this win or lose.

Thanks and keep up the good work, Matt.

Jayhawk444 4 years ago

Thanks Matt - I do this on my own sometimes - go hunting for articles from opposing teams' homer media outlets - both before and after games. You made it easy this time!

Matt Tait 4 years ago

Glad you enjoyed it. It's been here all year and will continue to be here each week. Usually on Wednesdays. Thanks for the note and enjoy the season!

• Matt

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

Matt---

Nice work, as always. Any predictions for Friday night? If you are saving it for the "Cram Session," I can certainly wait for that. It's a superstitious thing----last time you responded to me, the Jayhawks won on Saturday. No pressure, man!!!!! I am wearing the same KU shirt tomorrow that I wore last Thursday, before the Hawks prepared for the Yellow Jackets. Hope it works!

sava12 4 years ago

I think it will be a close battle. If you have a heart condition; don't watch.
KU will come out on top but it won't be pretty and it won't be Webb - he's a young kid with a lot of potential but is youth will show on the road. The offense will struggle but look for the defense to come through: KU 20 to 17.

Matt Tait 4 years ago

Nice to see you're doing your part.

I think this game will be decided by turnovers. Both offenses are capable of moving the ball, both defenses have athletes that can make plays and coaches who can create advantages and scheme to their strengths.

If KU takes care of the football, I think they have a great shot to win.

If neither team wins the turnover battle, I think it could come down to whoever has the ball last. I'll let you watch the Cram Session for my official prediction, but I do think this one will be decided by a field goal.

Dirk Medema 4 years ago

"We watched the Georgia Tech game and they found themselves in that game, so you would expect for them to stay on that path," said Bradford. "They didn't change a lot of what they did in the two games, they just played better in the second game. They made more plays and the guy completed more passes."

Interesting analysis. Just better execution.