David Beaty not interested in putting win-total number on this season's expectations

Kansas football head coach David Beaty speaks during NCAA college football Big 12 media days in Frisco, Texas, Monday, July 16, 2018. (AP Photo/Cooper Neill)

Frisco, Texas — Through three seasons as head football coach at the University of Kansas, David Beaty has not yet been able to pull off the grueling task of turning around the long-struggling program.

Addressing reporters Monday, at Big 12 Football Media Days, for the first time since the conclusion of the Jayhawks’ spring football schedule, Beaty, now 3-33 at KU, didn’t want to give many specifics about his expectations for Year 4.

Asked what win total would need to be achieved in order to display the growth and success that has been lacking at Kansas, Beaty opted not to put a number, or even a ballpark figure, on it.

“The name of the game in college sports is production, and we feel like we understand that is no different for us than it is for anyone else, that production is the name of the game,” Beaty began. “When it comes to our preparation, that’s not going to change. We’re going to start with Game 1 and the goal is go 1-0, to win that game and then put just as much focus on that next game to be able to do the same and repeat that.”

Beyond KU’s Sept. 1 opener against Nicholls State, and the obvious objective of leaving that game victorious, Beaty had no interest in projecting desired outcomes.

“When it comes to a win total, I don’t have that answer. I don’t know that many people do,” Beaty said. “But I do know this: I bet around Christmas time, we’ll know.”

State of QB competition

It appears Beaty doesn’t want this season’s quarterback competition to end up as prolonged as last year’s, when KU didn’t name Peyton Bender its starter until the day of the opener.

Beaty said Monday during his morning press conference at Ford Center at The Star, “it is still a competition” entering preseason camp in August, between Bender, Carter Stanley and Miles Kendrick.

However, the coach indicated he and offensive coordinator and QBs coach Doug Meacham would like to determine a winner sooner rather than at the last minute.

“We’re going to narrow that down to two pretty quick. And I know our guys understand that. They know that there’s urgency to get yourself in that top two,” Beaty said.

Due to the “rough-and-tumble” nature of the Big 12, KU’s head coach added that all three QBs will be prepared and ready.

“But we would like to get it down to ‘the guy’ pretty quickly,” Beaty said. “Not going to give a timeline on it, but I would say we want to get it done pretty quickly.”

No longer playing for KU

The KU offense lost two skill players this summer, when running back Taylor Martin and tight end Kenyon Tabor had to leave the team.

Beaty said Martin wanted to be “closer to home,” in Fort Worth, Texas, while Tabor will remain at KU and involved with the program in a nonplaying role.

After receiving what the coach described as “extensive” evaluations for his ailing back, Tabor had to give up football.

“We feel really good about him getting back to a normal, healthy lifestyle," Beaty said. And, although Tabor will no longer be playing with the team for medical reasons, "he is still a huge part of our program."

The coach originally had anticipated that Tabor, a 6-foot-4 tight end from Derby, would become a big part of the program, calling him “probably the best player” in the Sunflower State in the Class of 2017.

“That’s hard to deal with, not having him. We were counting on that. But we’re counting on him having a great life, and that’s the most important thing,” Beaty said.

Tabor never played a game for Kansas, but Martin spent three seasons as a regular in the backfield.

“Taylor did a lot for us while he was here,” Beaty said of the 5-10 rusher, who gained 286 yards and ran for three touchdowns in 2017.

Beaty said Martin encountered “some issues” that led him to want to leave KU, adding Martin “certainly didn’t get kicked off the team.”

“Sometimes, you do what you’ve got to do for family. His situation, my prayer for him is it doesn’t end his football career. That he’s able to handle that,” Beaty said.

Offensive lineman Jacob Bragg (medical) and fullback Quinton McQuillan also left the program.

Comments

John Fitzgerald 5 months ago

Jason Venable 5 months ago

He doesn't need to give a number this season. He's gone and he knows it.

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

Lmao he was so quick to say 6 last year. Bye Dave.

[''] 5 months ago

That's because ZERO isn't an number option

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

He could have said 1 or even 2 but to just all the way up to 6?

Jay Scott 5 months ago

Every other coach in America answers this question the same way.

Intelligent fans expect a non answer.

The same batch of kooks losing their minds here....again......not so much.

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

So what was Beaty's excuse last year saying 6 wins Jay? Maybe he was being kooky.

Bryson Stricker 5 months ago

I think he said it correctly.

We will know by Christmas. You all hate the man so you hear everything he says through anti-beaty implants but what he said was true.

By Christmas he will either be fired which most of you think will happen/want or he will have proven himself.

If you want to think he's betting against himself, go for it. But I heard from that statement him say he's going to win enough to have a job come christmas.

[''] 5 months ago

Relax BryBry. I don't know anyone who hates the man -- they just hate his perpetually empty promises and incompetence to run a P5 fball program. I don't doubt in the least that he is a great guy and amazing family man - just like Terry Allen, Turner Gill - he just Peter Principled. He just needs to go back to being a position coach or back to the HS ranks. So that will be his new Xmas job.

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

Omg what a shock the human homer agrees with Beaty. I'm stunned. No way, no way in hell, do you honestly think KU fired Zenger, hired Long to keep this guy? They need 350mil for a new stadium, they need to become way more competitive before next conference realignment. Long won't keep him short of a Big 12 championship.

Bryson Stricker 5 months ago

LOL you are one of a kind, you honestly make coming on this website a joy, I'm serious.

I never once said I thought he was going to get it done. I just pointed out what he was saying.

Long will keep Beaty much short of a big 12 championship, I can guarantee you that LMFAO.

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

Based on what Bryson your EXPERT opinion? They keep him based on what? I'll make you a deal, he stays after the season l'lll never post here again, he goes before, during, or after season you never show yourself here again. Put up or shut up big mouth.

Jay Scott 5 months ago

Fish Fest takes the bait and swallows hard......

Bryson Stricker 5 months ago

You just bet something I didn't argue. I'll happily make the bet that David Beaty will be retained if he wins 4 games.

I don't think 4 is enough, so that puts me on the hook and you think 10 is the minimum for him to be retained.

I'm not betting straight up because to believe he is going to beat vegas odds is risky enough.

Take it or leave it. Beaty + 4 wins or more gets retained.

[''] 5 months ago

I will take that bet!! No way he is retained after winning 4 measly games. And when he is fired and you follow him in your mom's Mazda to his next stop you can start posting on the newspaper site where he is coaching HS ball next year.

Bryson Stricker 5 months ago

I drive a Hyundai thank you very much!!!!!

Gerry Butler 5 months ago

I'd be careful about saying no way would he be retained after winning 4 measly games as you say - -that's pretty fricken risky on your part. -- $ wins in ONE season after going 3-33 in the previous 3 years? - - ummm not so sure about that

[''] 5 months ago

4 wins STILL ain't good enough. Hell 5 wins doesn't keep him his job. That's 4 years and an 8-40 record. Buh bye.

Owens Smithson 5 months ago

Bryson Stricker is known for taking other people's posts from different sites, radio shows, gossip, etc and passing them off as inaccurate fact. This has been documented in various threads with proof.

Bryson was also recently kicked off/banned from a reputable KU football message board for giving out personal information about a man, and his family/daughter, and also threatening to meet another poster for a fight.

This should give you an idea of his maturity level and mental status overall.

Fontana still have 2 years of eligibility, Bryson?

Bryson Stricker 5 months ago

lolololol threatening to meet a guy who said "im coming to lawrence, lets meet up" lol.

also not banned.

also, REPUTABLE? lmfaoooo

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

Just like the rest of you dopes when l post. How many times l see you on here Jay ranting about what someone has said? You're going to call me out? Oh how cute did you both like eachother post and give it a thumbs up. Adorable. Add two more to the list.

Jay Scott 5 months ago

Please don't ruin the fun by making yourself any easier to mock.

At some point you become too sad and pathetic to make fun of any more.....

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

Oh Jay coming from you l consider that a compliment.

Jay Scott 5 months ago

....which is exactly the stated concern....

Barry Weiss 5 months ago

In a strange way I do feel sorry for the guy. I know he meant well, and he has bagged alot of money from KU. But this is a "scoreboard" business and on that metric alone he just has not cut it. You just can't survive as a coach with a 3-33 record. That is the scoreboard.

Craig Carson 5 months ago

this doesnt sound like a man who thinks he'll be coaching at KU by the end of the season..does he not realize that if he guides KU to a 10 win season he'd likely keep his job? his 3-33 record is exactly why he's about to be fired??!!!! if anything he SHOULD keep tabs of wins and losses

Brian Conrad 5 months ago

The problem is Everyone talks as if KU can never Win ???!! KSU. Fans love the negative ways here. No one hates the man but we do not like losing Come on Jayhawks. What team in this state has been ranked as high as second in nation in last ten ? Jayhawks won the best bowl in ten years. ORANGE BOWL KU only school ever to have MAJOR BOWL VICTORY , FINAL FOUR AND COLLEGE WORLD SERIES same year 2008
Time for a Coach that brings up the history instead of runs from it. GO HAYHAWKS !

Richie Wilson 5 months ago

We weren't in the college world series in 2008. We finished 2008 8-5 in football. We were in the final four in 2008

Brad Farha 5 months ago

Brian -- I think you are mixing 2 milestone years/achievements.

In 1992-1993 KU was the only school to win a bowl game (Aloha, Dec 1992), be in the Final Four (1993) and the College World Series (1993) in the same school year.

In 2008, KU set the record for the most combined wins of football and basketball in one year -- the year we won the Orange Bowl and the NCAA Championship.

Brian Conrad 5 months ago

Let us ALL not forget. KU leads the football record heavy over KSU. we can and have won Here ! KU like 64 to 46 in football but sports radio folks and most fans expect wins at KSU. And none here ?
Time to EXPECT WINS !!!

Dillon Davis 5 months ago

Given the fact that our o-line is so shaky, I would be furious if Peyton Bender starts again. The dude is a complete statue in the pocket and he's not Peyton Manning where he can get the ball out quickly and accurately enough to make up for this weak offensive line. I don't know much about Kendrick since we couldn't even have a real spring game, but it's gotta be him or Stanley.

Gerry Butler 5 months ago

I've said that about Bender from day one. - -he has feet made out of concrete. - Hell my 14 yr old pet turtle moves faster

Whitney Tangeman 5 months ago

Totally agree. Not to take away from passing ability, he just doesn't fit the OL weaknesses of our program in past. If Beaty picks him to start, I predict quarterback musical chairs throughout conference play. My fear was waiting until 9/1 to see him trotting out to start, I guess we'll find out sooner.

Steven Haag 5 months ago

Fest and company say they don’t hate Beaty, but their words say different. A good tree can’t produce bad fruit and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. I have yet to see any coaches that come right out and say they are going to win X amount of games. Snyder doesn’t...maybe KSU should fire him. Bill Self doesn’t say it......let’s fire him. You all crack me up 😂

Kevin Robert Fest 5 months ago

He said 6 last year Steve. I don't hate him, all he has done is loose games not a hateable offense. But it's time for him to go. In 36 games he won 3. Good bye

Gerry Butler 5 months ago

I have a question? - -What the hell ever happened to Starks? - All I ever heard was he was the exact type QB that Coach was looking for. - Did he transfer out? - he for sure wasn't given any chance. - Was he that bad? - - True dual option QB - I think he would be what a Junior now? - -Where the hell did he go - Coach when he 1st came in was gushing all over him

Owens Smithson 5 months ago

He wasn't even allowed to throw passes in a game. Came in to hand off for the last 3 minutes of a few games. Watch what he does with proper development.

Jeff Coffman 5 months ago

3 years of incentive based contracts, and not one incentive paid...that is all that needs to be documented about Beaty's coaching at KU.

[''] 5 months ago

Wow. Great point. Pathetic record of success.