A comparison of KU, K-State pregame videos; more on the 'Aqib Rules'

A few links while wondering if there's a better nickname out there for the Kansas-Kansas State rivalry than Sunflower Showdown, which doesn't seem to capture the intensity of the contests (doesn't a sunflower invoke warm, fuzzy images?). Maybe Clash on the Kaw? Any other good ones?

I saw this was posted a few days ago on YouTube on the official YouTube station of K-State Athletics, so I can only assume this will be the pregame video before the KU-KSU game Tuesday night in Manhattan.

KSU's video folks were able to put a lot of highlights against KU in there, including a Bill Walker swinging elbow that catches Mario Chalmers' face at the 32-second mark (that may or may not be considered a highlight, depending on your affiliation).

The video follows the same basic theme as KU's, highlighting with bold numbers some of the school's best men's basketball statistics.

To compare, here's KU's pregame video against Baylor (skip ahead to the 1:14 mark for the start).

The Kansas City Star's Blair Kerkhoff reported that following Kansas State's 69-60 victory over Oklahoma on Saturday, KSU guard Rodney McGruder received some encouragement in the tunnel from an unlikely source.

"Good luck, keep it going, go get those 'Hawks,” is what OU coach Lon Kruger — a former player and coach at KSU — told McGruder.

Kruger didn't offer up his thoughts on the KU-KSU matchup after the game, according to Kerkhoff, as the Sooners have yet to play the Jayhawks this season.

• Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle reports that KSU athletic director John Currie, when he was interviewing Bruce Weber for KSU's coaching opening, asked Weber directly if he really wanted to come to Manhattan to have to go up against KU coach Bill Self — the man he replaced at Illinois.

• The Manhattan Mercury's Joel Jellison talks more about KSU's success running a hybrid-forward position, putting undersized Shane Southwell and Nino Williams at the 4 spot. This switch definitely has helped Southwell, whose offensive struggles last year allowed KU to run a Triangle-and-Two defense while leaving him unguarded. The junior Southwell has made 16 of 33 threes this year (49 percent).

Earlier this week, KU was listed as one of five "Prime Time Contenders" to make the Final Four by SI.com's Luke Winn. To come to this conclusion, Winn compared this year's efficiency numbers with those of past teams that have made deep tournament runs. The fact that KU is balanced (top 20 in both offensive and defensive efficiency) makes it a team that is more likely to advance to later rounds.

KU is a No. 1 seed in the latest bracketology from CBSsports.com's Jerry Palm.

Here's a final look at video highlights from KU's victory over Texas on Saturday from KU Athletics.

KU signee Wayne Selden scored 24 points with six three-pointers and seven rebounds to help his Tilton School team to a 71-67 victory Sunday, according to Masslive.com.

• The Kansas City Star's Rustin Dodd had a nice feature over the weekend on KU women's basketball standout Angel Goodrich and her journey to KU from the state of Oklahoma and Sequoyah High School.

Former KU guard Josh Selby was traded from the Memphis Grizzlies to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

And finally, an insightful piece from the New York Times on former KU cornerback Aqib Talib. There are some great anecdotes from former KU coach Mark Mangino and current linebackers coach Clint Bowen about Talib, including this one from Judy Battista in the lede:

The Kansas football program had something called Aqib Rules, and they were simple: when Aqib Talib, their highly regarded cornerback, did something stupid — a not infrequent occurrence early on in an all-American career — his teammates could put a free body shot on him.

I'm guessing those kinds of rules don't fly in the NFL.

;

Comments

PSM 1 year, 8 months ago

Love the new banner. Now you need to work with Tom to improve his "Double-chin music" banner.

dghannon 1 year, 8 months ago

That's a nice flagrant foul they're celebrating there...

B0B 1 year, 8 months ago

Surprised? These are the same people who can't make a football video without showing an NU player's head getting ripped off by the facemask.

Ben Kliewer 1 year, 8 months ago

It appears to me that KSU's video seems to heavily focus on the (few) times they've beaten KU... or elbowed us in the face. I could be wrong, but I don't believe I saw one clip of a KSU game in the KU video... and that's what it always has been. We focus on winning, they focus on only us. That's what you call a little brother program.

SuperCorona 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe we should counter with Dale Greenlee's knee busting Mike Evans nose.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Shut up, Lon Kruger.

Disappear into the dredges of mediocrity and insignificance.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe they could call it " The Annual Pulverizing of the Purple at the Pansy Palace ".

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Selby to the Cavs!

New banner is great. I really want to watch us beat them down tonight, no more ugly wins, lets be up by 5+ at the first timeout and never take our foot off their throats!

Jace FitzGibbon 1 year, 8 months ago

K state puts their sweet 16 appearances in their video, is there any debate on which video is better?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought it was pretty humorous that we have more Conference Championships than they have had players in the NBA.

Regarding the Sweet 16 appearances - I guess that shouldn't surprise me - when you look at our National Championship banners and then look at the one banner that they have that says " Remember that time we beat KU ? "

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 1 year, 8 months ago

They forgot to add "0.083: winning % against KU in Bramlage"

PSM 1 year, 8 months ago

Anybody else think Bruce Weber looks like Liberace?

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 8 months ago

Alex Laughlin 1 year, 8 months ago

Aww I loved it when they showed their 4 final fours, all coming before the year 1965.

Thomas Michaud 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow, I can't believe (okay, maybe I'm stretching that) the quality between KU and KSU in their video highlight production. It's also funny to see most of the KSU highlights coming against (what) the most "recent" 2 wins against KU in the past 10+ years. Or was it from just one game? HA! That flagrant elbow is just too funny -- seriously, that's what you need to put in to make you look tough?!? hahahahaha!!

I suck and coming up with names for events ... Backyard Brawl? Kansas Klash? meh. I'll leave it to brighter minds.

dylans 1 year, 8 months ago

octagon of doom = purple palace of kitten

PittJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

They left out the footage of the Pervis Pasco fiasco.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

The Wheat Town Beatdown?

The Battle of the Breadbasket?

The Great Game for the Great Plains?

The Shootout on the Prairie?

Phoghorn 1 year, 8 months ago

I am a bit concerned about this game, no doubt about it. If we play like with did in Austin, we WILL lose, probably in a 20-30 point blowout.

I am hoping that the UT game was just a potential trap game and our paltry offense was just due to us looking forward to our trip to Manhattan. I can't imagine Coach Self letting our players sleep-walk through this one. The last thing we need is Coach Webber having a funeral for the entire KU team...

Rock Chalk!

Brandon Pope 1 year, 8 months ago

That is insane. If we play like we did v. Texas we MAY lose. We will never lose by 20 or 30 to anybody. Let alone purple Kansas.

PSM 1 year, 8 months ago

War on the Plains?

Battle on the Prairie?

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm dying here. Great comments.

I think Sunflower Showdown is fine. Anything more is laughable considering the recent head to head records of both the basketball and football teams. The sunflower is unique and appropriate geological representation. "Showdown" is almost TOO big a word, but acceptable considering bragging rights are at stake.

I'll be embarrassed for them if they play that video before the game tonight. Of all the nights you DO NOT want to play that video, tonight is far and away #1.

The only way it could work in their favor is if the KU players are laughing so hard they can't run, or if the KU fans laugh so hard they are asked to leave.

I'll be closely watching for KU player and fan reactions if they televise any portion of it. I'm imagining a lot of interesting ones. (Nick please try to get some of this.) One raised eyebrow, smirking, chuckling, elbow nudging, head-down-silent-laughing, hand over mouth, rolling eyes, shaking head, and mouth-agape-in-disbelief among them.

Don't do it kittens. No wait, go ahead. No don't. Okay do it. No don't, I can't watch.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

LOL geological. "Geographical"

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

I am embarrassed for K-State fans.

Max Ledom 1 year, 8 months ago

This isn't the first time Bruce Weber has face Bill. We beat them in the second round of the NCAA Tournament 2 years ago.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

The Pounding of the Purple P****es. Admittedly not the most media friendly name, but a pretty accurate name for the game though.

Jay Waxse 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey Jayhawk brotherhood... I'm in DC tonight, anyone know of an online feed I could catch the game at? I could go to a bar but I'd much rather stay in my hotel.

Jay Waxse 1 year, 8 months ago

bah, don't get that either. Oh well, sounds like it's an excuse for wings and a personal pitcher. I hope they have boulevard in DC...

justoneperson 1 year, 8 months ago

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, but I'm outside of the Big 12 Network coverage area as well and was able to watch on the YES network. (which seemed appropriate once I realized they televise Big 12 Network games--or at least two that I am aware of...)

jayhawkintexas 1 year, 8 months ago

I prefer "The Battle for Oz" instead of "Sunflower Showdown". Heck, I would even take "Munchkin Mayhem"!!!

danno1313 1 year, 8 months ago

Comparison???????? Don t make me laugh!

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

No matter what you call it, it'll never compare to the Border War.

Hank Cross 1 year, 8 months ago

Is there some type of NCAA rule that says that they have to have a video? If not, there is no reason to boast of S16's, flagrant fouls, and Jack Hartman.

MrPilot 1 year, 8 months ago

Seeing our's just makes them feel so...insignificant. Like when a young boy accidentally sees his father get out of the shower.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Yikes! Is MrPilot really MrSandusky?