Conner Frankamp suffers concussion after being undercut on layup (video links)

Wichita North senior and Kansas University recruit Conner Frankamp is pictured on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2012, at Pleasant Valley Middle School in Wichita, where he works out daily with his father, Marty Frankamp. Frankamp said that although he is looked at as a shooter, he is preparing to play the point if needed for KU. by Nick Krug

Kansas men's basketball signee Conner Frankamp had a scary moment Friday night when he was undercut by a Scott City player and landed on his face.

Video of the play from two different angles is available on KAKE TV's website. It also can be seen at the 2:13 mark of this video from CatchitKansas.com.

According to Joanna Chadwick of the Wichita Eagle, the game was delayed 10 minutes as a trainer tried to stop the bleeding on a cut on Frankamp's left temple. The senior was later removed from the court via an office chair.

Chadwick said Frankamp later received stitches for the cut and also was diagnosed with a concussion. Rivals.com's No. 31 player in the class of 2013 will not play in Saturday's championship game against Shawnee Mission South in the Dodge City Tournament of Champions.

Comments

Jay Dogger 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't know the exact rules of fouling but isn't cutting a guy's legs out while he's up in the air some sort of flagrant? I imagine in some games the dude who did it would be ejected and/or busted up by the enforcer.

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Looking at the video from KAKE-TV, the foul was certainly not flagrant, just a play where contact caused Frankamp to come down head first with no arm out to break his landing.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Wrong. My brother was at the game. The foul was certainly flagrant and the Scott City player should have been ejected, in his opinion.

inge 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, your brother is wrong. I have seen the video of this from several different angles and it was Frankamps fault for even attempting to dunk. The kid that did it tried to get out of the way but with Frankamp going up and over him he could not get out of the way. Watch the video. Don't say anything unless you have seen it yourself.

Joe Ross 1 year, 10 months ago

And concussions are what ended Zach Peters' short career at Kansas. sigh

Joe Ross 1 year, 10 months ago

Hmm. The KAKE link at 00:43 says it was NOT a concussion according to the trainers! What gives?

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Bruce Hertl is a known KU hater. He does whatever he can to make KU look bad or downplay any news that would make KU look good or get KU fans fired up.

weeslicket 1 year, 10 months ago

The senior was later removed from the court via an office chair.

seriously??

oldalum 1 year, 10 months ago

Didn't want him to walk, and maybe they didn't have a stretcher--or thought a stretcher would make it look more serious than it was.

Joe Ross 1 year, 10 months ago

I think I understand. The KAKE TV spot says the trainers said it was NOT a concussion, but when taken to the Western Plains Medical Center for treatment, doctors there officially diagnosed him with one. Kinda worrisome if your trainers can't identify a concussion!

Tyler Fox 1 year, 10 months ago

The trainer was probably being respectful to him by not giving out personal medical information and was probably misquoted. It happens a lot in the media, especially with high school coverage. The trainer probably never said he had a concussion or didn't directly answer the question and that was turned into "he didn't have a concussion." Either that, or some symptoms popped up later that evening that indicated a concussion may have occurred. It's a very sensitive topic right now, especially in high school sports.

PSM 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh boy I hope he can play next season! :| Rub some dirt on it.

KUfanInFlorida 1 year, 10 months ago

The foul was not intentional, but that kid should know better. Frankamp was going up for a dunk and that kid couldn't make a play on it. Why try to undercut his legs??? Safety first.

Rumo 1 year, 10 months ago

Being undercut while in the air, going for the basket, one of the worst things to happen on the court. Such a high risk for injury for a pointless play, it should be a flagrant foul. It doesn't have to be intentional for a foul to be a flagrant. I was undercut once in a practice on a fastbreak layup, and I've been paranoid about it happening again ever since. Not good.

diegohawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Same type of incident caused me a partial ACL tear with how me right leg landed from being undercut. That and the 50 lbs of mexican food I've eaten since has pretty much wrecked my game.

Dribbled a basketball for the first time in a few years for a period yesterday. Felt good.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

I broke my wrist in practice my freshman year of high school being undercut on a fast break.

My Senior year the same thing happened in a game and it was called a flagrant foul but I couldn't schoot the free throws because I had re-injured my wrist. X-rays showed that it was just a wrist sprain and I was back playing shortly after.

This foul committed on Conner should at least be called a Flagrant I for excessive contact, but the way the rulebook defines Flagrant 1 makes it sound like the contact must be about the shoulders. It didn't look like it was intentional, but if they can't call Flagrant 1 they need to call it something. Because it definitely should be treated differently from a standard two shot foul.

justanotherfan 1 year, 10 months ago

I got a concussion on a similar play in HS as well. That's a dangerous play any way you cut it, but most HS officials won't eject someone for doing it, which is unfortunate. Too many guys get hurt on those types of plays because guys that aren't as fast, skilled and athletic try to make plays they just can't make. I don't think the Scott City player was intending to injure, more just tried to make a play that he couldn't make. But its still unfortunate and very dangerous.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 10 months ago

Bush league move period. Any player doing something like this is playing dirty, and there is no reason to run under the basket when someone is going high for a dunk other than undercut him.. He used his body, not arms so it wasn't flagrant looking to the untrained eye. Taking a star player out in the championship rounds with a cheap shot...disgusting.

inge 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you kidding me? Frankamp should not have even attempted the dunk. The kid tried to get out of the way. And you have a trained eye. Give me a break.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 10 months ago

You have no idea what you are talking about. The Scott City player absolutely did NOT try to get out of the way. It should have been at the very least a flagrant foul. As I said above, my brother was at the game and had a clear view of the play.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 10 months ago

Typically, each concussion is worse then the last one. So if it's his first one, should be no big deal. But as I have seen in the NFL the last two seasons, doctors are much more hesitant to clear players, especially the more you get.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Regardless of the injury, this is the first footage of Conner where I saw what others have been talking about. The guy has some of the kind of quick John Stockton once had. Hope he gets well soon.

inge 1 year, 10 months ago

It is really easy for people to come on here and say this kid did this on purpose and he took Conner out. I watched the video and I say it is more Frankamps fault than the kid that ran into him. When someone is running beside you I don't think it a good idea to try to dunk and especially with one hand. He looks like he is trying to get out of the way. Watch his facial expression after the incident happens and you will see the kid looks scared and sorry. These kinds of things happen and will continue to happen. It is just a freak thing. It's just that it happened to a well known player. If it would have been a nobody, nobody would have cared that it happened. We have had kids taken out before and it is scary but I never saw it put in the newspaper before.

justanotherfan 1 year, 10 months ago

These things happen, but they shouldn't. If you don't have a play on the ball, you give up the layup rather than cutting a guys legs out from under him. But too many HS coaches preach to not give up layups at any cost, making guys think its okay to foul a guy when you have no play defensively. Like I said above, this doesn't make the Scott City player a dirty player, but its a dangerous play and something that really needs to stop.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 10 months ago

As a defender on a fast break you either go for the ball hard down low BEFORE the jump, or you jump with them to try for a block. He did neither, he just went under him.