'Bill Self Shuffle' the latest dance craze; Bill Simmons bashes Kings for trading T-Rob

A few links on a snowy Thursday in Lawrence ...

• It's being called the Bill Self Shuffle.

Kansas coach Bill Self, in urging his team to get back on defense at the end of the first overtime in Wednesday night's 68-67 double-overtime victory over Oklahoma State, produced a dance move MC Hammer would be proud of.

A GIF of Self's shuffle already has been synced up with MC Hammer's hit, "Can't Touch This," and KU's Douthart Scholarship Hall already has done its own take of the dance during today's snow day.

Here are the highlights from Wednesday night's game from ESPN.

Also, Deadspin has video of the final two possessions in double-overtime, which includes Naadir Tharpe's floater and Travis Releford's hustle play to run the clock out.

• Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Eisenberg discussed Tharpe's game-winning shot, saying ...

Of the 10 shots he attempted prior to Kansas' final possession, Tharpe missed all but one of them, drawing the ire of coach Bill Self and Jayhawks fans watching from home with his rushed perimeter jumpers early in the shot clock. Tharpe also made a key defensive blunder in the final minute of the first overtime, giving up a game-tying corner 3-pointer to Forte after he left the sharp shooter to help on a slashing Marcus Smart.

All was forgiven though when Tharpe redeemed himself ...

KU has moved up to No. 6 in Mark Titus' Power Rankings on Grantland.com.

In the blog post, Titus — one of the funniest sports writers out there — gives his analysis of KU's YouTube Harlem Shake video.

Titus then says this about KU:

I'm not sure about Kansas's chances of winning the national title, but I know this much: No team in college basketball is having more fun this season than the Jayhawks.

Speaking of Grantland, the site's founder Bill Simmons still is in shock at the NBA trade that sent former Kansas forward Thomas Robinson from Sacramento to Houston.

In his email exchange with Zach Lowe, Simmons says this:

You know I'm prone to hyperbole from time to time, but I truly believe this — that's the worst trade anyone's made in years. A lottery team giving up Robinson … I mean … it's unconscionable. No, he wasn't playing that well for the Kings, but can you think of a worse situation for him?

And finally, I couldn't believe when a friend wrote to tell me this classic "Vishal! I'm in the TV!" KU video clip just celebrated its ninth anniversary.

I think most KU fans should remember it, but if not, there's an explanation of what happened in the comments under the video.

One of my favorite parts is at the end, when color man Jon Sundvold just keeps talking after the free throw like nothing happened. I'd have to think he was wondering what the heck was going on as well.

;

Comments

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

Love when people think 9 years ago was old. Last at KU now, 15 years ago. I'm sure others MUCH MORE than that too.

63Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd love to see the team come out and do the Bill Self Shuffle during warmups before Saturday's game. It would bring the house down!

whitey45 1 year, 1 month ago

9 years since Vishal I'm in the TV... man I am getting old...

Sean O'Grady 1 year, 1 month ago

Hard to believe it's been 9 years since my roommates and I, one of whom was named Vishal, were sitting watching the game on our Standard Def TV watching Graves shoot his free throws when that guy grabbed the mic and told us all he was in the TV.

We had no idea what was going on and thought we were all crazy until one of our older brothers, serving overseas, emailed us to ask if we heard it to.

Vishal and I went down to the Orange Bowl in '08 and met some other Jayhawks at a bar and when he introduced himself, they flipped out wondering if he was 'THE Vishal.'

Funny as hell and thanks for making me feel old.

jakejayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

It is bogus to blame Tharpe for the open look for Forte. Mr. Eisenberg needs to watch the poor defense of McLemore that led to Smart's drive. Ben failed to move his feet, providing a lane to the basket for Smart. That resulted in Tharpe being left on an island to choose between two kinds of poison. Blame Ben for the lack of effort on that play, not Nadir for leaving his man.

Randy Maxwell 1 year, 1 month ago

Robinson wilerbe more than an 8th or 9th man any team

Bladerunner 1 year, 1 month ago

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Bill Self Shuffle. I'd say the fire still burns! He was quite intense this game, and there were multiple storylines/reasons. But he also showed a couple of fist pumps at the end, kinda like the end of the epic final comeback W over Mizzoo...actually giving that a double one-two punch roundhouse and walking right past Frank Haith, which was priceless. (See Youtube video of "Bill Self Reaction..."). Love the emotion. Now I hope he can get Rio's head on straight, as we will need him next year. Rio needs to realize he is at Kansas because Bill Self wanted him here. Enough said. Do work!

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 1 month ago

Now Bill Self is going to have to do this for Midnight Madness next year. Classic tradition maker here.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 1 month ago

I fell out of chair laughing so hard at this.

mattiesdad 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey Jessie...love this column. Any chance you could post your links so that they open in a new window. Would make it easier to navigate back and forth between the articles and links.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 1 month ago

That middle video was pretty lame. How about some bikinis.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Titus then says this about KU:

Ummm. Hmmmmmmm. Sigh......

It's hard to believe that stupid people get paid to write. Or talk. Or Blog. Or whatever it is this Titus fellow does besides watch college basketball.

Until the end of the 3 game losing streak, this KU team has had the least fun of any team I've ever seen in the last 45 years. We've practically had to BEG them to lighten up and have fun.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't follow the NBA closely enough. Why is Houston such a horrible spot for T-Rob?

Steve Jacob 1 year, 1 month ago

Robinson just is not a skilled player. But he can help a solid Rockets team get rebounds off the bench. Rockets need some toughness, maybe he can become a "thug". You know, knock down Lin, get hit by Robinson the next play.

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

Smart's 70 foot shot at the end of the first OT kind of reminds me of Gordon Heyward's halfcourt shot at the end of 2010 national championship against Duke. Both were extremely close to going in for a heartbreaking loss for 2 powerhouse programs.

Beth Ennis 1 year, 1 month ago

Jesse, this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing this. Hope you are enjoying the snow day.