'Bill Self Shuffle' the latest dance craze; Bill Simmons bashes Kings for trading T-Rob

A few links on a snowy Thursday in Lawrence ...

• It's being called the Bill Self Shuffle.

Kansas coach Bill Self, in urging his team to get back on defense at the end of the first overtime in Wednesday night's 68-67 double-overtime victory over Oklahoma State, produced a dance move MC Hammer would be proud of.

A GIF of Self's shuffle already has been synced up with MC Hammer's hit, "Can't Touch This," and KU's Douthart Scholarship Hall already has done its own take of the dance during today's snow day.

Here are the highlights from Wednesday night's game from ESPN.

Also, Deadspin has video of the final two possessions in double-overtime, which includes Naadir Tharpe's floater and Travis Releford's hustle play to run the clock out.

• Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Eisenberg discussed Tharpe's game-winning shot, saying ...

Of the 10 shots he attempted prior to Kansas' final possession, Tharpe missed all but one of them, drawing the ire of coach Bill Self and Jayhawks fans watching from home with his rushed perimeter jumpers early in the shot clock. Tharpe also made a key defensive blunder in the final minute of the first overtime, giving up a game-tying corner 3-pointer to Forte after he left the sharp shooter to help on a slashing Marcus Smart.

All was forgiven though when Tharpe redeemed himself ...

KU has moved up to No. 6 in Mark Titus' Power Rankings on Grantland.com.

In the blog post, Titus — one of the funniest sports writers out there — gives his analysis of KU's YouTube Harlem Shake video.

Titus then says this about KU:

I'm not sure about Kansas's chances of winning the national title, but I know this much: No team in college basketball is having more fun this season than the Jayhawks.

Speaking of Grantland, the site's founder Bill Simmons still is in shock at the NBA trade that sent former Kansas forward Thomas Robinson from Sacramento to Houston.

In his email exchange with Zach Lowe, Simmons says this:

You know I'm prone to hyperbole from time to time, but I truly believe this — that's the worst trade anyone's made in years. A lottery team giving up Robinson … I mean … it's unconscionable. No, he wasn't playing that well for the Kings, but can you think of a worse situation for him?

And finally, I couldn't believe when a friend wrote to tell me this classic "Vishal! I'm in the TV!" KU video clip just celebrated its ninth anniversary.

I think most KU fans should remember it, but if not, there's an explanation of what happened in the comments under the video.

One of my favorite parts is at the end, when color man Jon Sundvold just keeps talking after the free throw like nothing happened. I'd have to think he was wondering what the heck was going on as well.

;

Comments

Beth Ennis 1 year, 6 months ago

Jesse, this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing this. Hope you are enjoying the snow day.

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

Smart's 70 foot shot at the end of the first OT kind of reminds me of Gordon Heyward's halfcourt shot at the end of 2010 national championship against Duke. Both were extremely close to going in for a heartbreaking loss for 2 powerhouse programs.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 6 months ago

Robinson just is not a skilled player. But he can help a solid Rockets team get rebounds off the bench. Rockets need some toughness, maybe he can become a "thug". You know, knock down Lin, get hit by Robinson the next play.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Not skilled? A thug? Why would you even post something so ridiculous? BTW, most knowledgeable analysts disagree with you:

Joe Joseph 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't follow the NBA closely enough. Why is Houston such a horrible spot for T-Rob?

litlmikeyb 1 year, 6 months ago

Houston isn't the horrible spot, but Sacramento was... It was a terrible trade for Sacramento (where he was), but will hopefully be good for T-Rob and help out his career.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 6 months ago

That's what I thought. But his quote made it sound like Houston was the poor fit. Or am I just reading it wrong?

litlmikeyb 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah I think it's a little confusing in how it was written.... But this should only mean good things for T-Rob....

stockhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

weirdly phrased, but I think the thought was essentially to justify the preceding "no he wasn't that playing that well" e.g. no he wasn't playing that well but that's because he was playing in the worst possible situation etc

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

I was thinking what you were thinking, your not alone stupidmichael. btw, I was also scared before the Okie state game.

Chris1955 1 year, 6 months ago

Listening to Houston sports radio, it appears that this trade was made solely based on the ownership of the Kings wanted to shave 2.2 million dollars in costs. The Maloof's are selling the Kings to a Seattle group at the end of the year, and they will move to Seattle from Sacramento. The King's cheapness was our gain.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Titus then says this about KU:

Ummm. Hmmmmmmm. Sigh......

It's hard to believe that stupid people get paid to write. Or talk. Or Blog. Or whatever it is this Titus fellow does besides watch college basketball.

Until the end of the 3 game losing streak, this KU team has had the least fun of any team I've ever seen in the last 45 years. We've practically had to BEG them to lighten up and have fun.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't think it was a stupid comment, considering the McLemore dance videos, the "Jeff Withey block party," and now the Harlem Shake thing. They obviously weren't having fun during the losing streak, but they've definitely tried to promote a fun image this year, and it's not just athletic-department hype, either -- Harlem Shake at least was initiated by the players themselves.

RockChalkIowa2010 1 year, 6 months ago

That. was a dumb comment. Before you start calling people dumb make sure you have a clue what you're talking about.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

You two ^^ aren't having much fun either.

Me, I'm having fun. Youze guys - not so much fun.

59grad 1 year, 6 months ago

Someone needs to send the link about no team in college basketball having more fun this season to Randle. Didn't he say that having fun was a big factor in his decision?

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 6 months ago

It seems they have fun when they win basketball games, but not much fun when they lose basketball games, so they should try and keep winning basketball games.

22 funs - 4 nofuns = mostly funs

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 6 months ago

...but seriously, the athletics department marketing staff is setting a new precedence for fun this year. I don't really like all the laughing and smiles on the court when they F up though. Get serious, EJ! Get mad, K-Y Yours+Mine Kissable Sensations!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

kjhkcapn - Seriously, you bring up a good point. I know EJ's got a great smile, but dang it, I don't want to see that immediately after he's thrown the ball directly to the opponent for an uncontested layup/dunk. It ticks me off. I would like to see the appropriate emotions. Smile when you make an assist. Grimace when you make a stupid play. Maybe a fist pump for a clutch 3 pointer. Mouth the words " Boo....Boo " when a ref makes a bad call (but don't let them see you do it).

Do a backflip at midcourt when you beat an opponent who's won 8 straight conference championships.

Wait. Scratch that last one.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 6 months ago

That middle video was pretty lame. How about some bikinis.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 6 months ago

Bikinis and cold weather go together better than chocolate and peanut butter.

mattiesdad 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Jessie...love this column. Any chance you could post your links so that they open in a new window. Would make it easier to navigate back and forth between the articles and links.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Right click on the link and select "Open Link in a New Tab," or "Open Link in a New Window," if you prefer. Problem solved. :-)

Kent Wells 1 year, 6 months ago

OK, next question. How do I make my text messages be italics and BOLD, just like you?

Micky Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I fell out of chair laughing so hard at this.

Micky Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Now Bill Self is going to have to do this for Midnight Madness next year. Classic tradition maker here.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

Not sure we need Rio that much next year. His minutes will increase, but with the amount of rope Self has given Tharpe this year, and the influx of guard talent coming in, he won't be relied upon too much.

Unlike this season, the competition for #2 PG will be tough. Tharpe will start then you have Rio, Frankamp and Mason (possible RS). I wouldn't even be too shocked if Selden was bringing it up occasionally.

I'll be comfortable next year if Rio doesn't get his head out. I have a feeling Tharpe and Frankamp will be our 1 and 2 PG for the next couple of years.

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't forget about Frank Mason; Rio may be playing the 2.

KGphoto 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh I haven't. I mentioned him, but I think he might redshirt considering all the talent in place. Hope I'm wrong. He looks so solid from his highlights and I wouldn't be shocked if he snuck in there, but there must be something scouts are seeing that kept him from being more heavily recruited. Hopefully it was just the height thing and he truly is that diamond in the rough. I'm excited to find out.

If Mason ends up pushing Tharpe, Kamp and Rio for minutes, determining the PG slot would be a great problem to have. Either way it looks like we are fairly set at the point for several years.

Feels strange even saying that. It's been so long.

Bladerunner 1 year, 6 months ago

jakejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

It is bogus to blame Tharpe for the open look for Forte. Mr. Eisenberg needs to watch the poor defense of McLemore that led to Smart's drive. Ben failed to move his feet, providing a lane to the basket for Smart. That resulted in Tharpe being left on an island to choose between two kinds of poison. Blame Ben for the lack of effort on that play, not Nadir for leaving his man.

lawupsman 1 year, 5 months ago

great point...do you give up a driving layup or a 20 ft jumper? I'd take my chances w/ the jumper. Too many times people don't see the big picture of a play and rip the wrong person for it!

Sean O'Grady 1 year, 6 months ago

Hard to believe it's been 9 years since my roommates and I, one of whom was named Vishal, were sitting watching the game on our Standard Def TV watching Graves shoot his free throws when that guy grabbed the mic and told us all he was in the TV.

We had no idea what was going on and thought we were all crazy until one of our older brothers, serving overseas, emailed us to ask if we heard it to.

Vishal and I went down to the Orange Bowl in '08 and met some other Jayhawks at a bar and when he introduced himself, they flipped out wondering if he was 'THE Vishal.'

Funny as hell and thanks for making me feel old.

whitey45 1 year, 6 months ago

9 years since Vishal I'm in the TV... man I am getting old...

63Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I'd love to see the team come out and do the Bill Self Shuffle during warmups before Saturday's game. It would bring the house down!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 5 months ago

Love when people think 9 years ago was old. Last at KU now, 15 years ago. I'm sure others MUCH MORE than that too.