KU best team of 21st century? Also, videos of Wayne Selden, Joel Embiid from Jordan Brand Classic
A few links for your Friday ...
• Matt Lombardi, the editor-in-chief for the blog College Spun, did a study to try to determine the most successful men's college basketball NCAA Tournament teams in the 21st century.
He used this point system:
Round of 64 loss = 0 points
Round of 32 loss = 1 point
Sweet 16 loss = 2 points
Elite Eight loss = 4 points
Final Four loss = 8 points
Championship Game loss = 12 points
National Champions = 16 points
After adding up all the numbers, KU was No. 1 in the rankings with 68 points. North Carolina was second with 64 points.
Lombardi said at first he was surprised that the Jayhawks ended up on top, but he then cited the Jayhawks' consistency as the reason they took the No. 1 spot.
• The Jordan Brand Classic high school all-star game is taking place Saturday in New York City, and in the last day, there have been some highlight videos posted of KU signees from the pregame workouts.
Here's cued-up video of Wayne Selden's dunks, including an impressive alley-oop slam:
Also, here's Joel Embiid putting in some dunks of his own:
• Speaking of Selden, here are some of his highlights from last week's McDonald's All-American game, in case you missed them:
• One last recruiting item: KU remains in the race for the class of 2013's No. 1 overall player Andrew Wiggins, who is also considering Florida State, Kentucky and North Carolina.
His highlight film is worth a look if you haven't seen it yet.
• College basketball analyst Ken Pomeroy points out a statistical oddity that relates to KU in his latest ESPN column (subscription required).
Remember when KU freshman guard Rio Adams exploded for 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting in KU's 91-63 victory over Texas Tech in the Big 12 tournament?
According to Pomeroy, it "was the shortest appearance this season for a player scoring in double figures."
Adams needed just 4 minutes, 43 seconds to put in his 11 points.
• SI.com's Seth Davis has KU ranked No. 13 in his not-too-early college basketball preseason poll for 2013-14.
Davis, who admits in the article much of KU's high ranking is based on coach Bill Self's history of churning out winning teams, does not have any other Big 12 schools ranked in his top 25.
• And finally, a couple months ago I was introduced to the song "Withey, Without You" via a friend on social media.
I watched it once, forgot about it, then had it reverberate again in my head once again this week.
Maybe it's the "We can't win ... Withey without you" lyric. I don't know.
But here it is. Good luck getting it out of your head.