Cliff’s Notes: Bill Self press conference, 2/22/13

Here is the Cliff's Notes version from Self's comments at his press conference today.

Full audio has been posted.

The 115th-year reunion this weekend means something to all the guys that do come back. Before the weather concerns, about 200 former players were signed up to come back. The best part is those guys getting to meet up with their former teammates again.

During KU's three-game losing streak, the team didn't guard well. KU played really good defense against Oklahoma State on Wednesday, especially considering how bad the Jayhawks offense was. KU's defensive rebounding kept it in the game.

TCU is the only team that handled KU from start to finish. TCU was the only game KU didn't have a chance to win. Self has re-watched the tape. KU didn't play well, but TCU was part of the reason for that.

KU forward Jamari Traylor gave the team energy against OSU. He's been a boost in that area. KU is better in half-court sets with other players in at that spot, but Traylor can give KU help with athleticism and defense. His right hand is messed up with a sprained thumb, so KU is thankful he's playing. He's going to be a good player. Traylor's a shorter inside player. He's usually Jeff Withey's backup, which means he usually guards the 5 position.

Self hopes the game-winning shot guard Naadir Tharpe made at the end of the OSU game boosts his confidence. Ben McLemore's shot against Iowa State was a huge shot too, but Tharpe's shot was as big as any for KU this year. Tharpe had to make a play, dribble it then make a jump-hook in the lane. That's not a play that you have 5-foot-10 guys practice.

Self believed the biggest thing Tharpe had going for him out of high school was his intangibles. He's funny. Everyone likes him. He's a cool kid. He showed up to his recruiting visit in a tie, and Self joked that he's lucky to get kids to dress up in hoodies. Self didn't think Tharpe's personality showed through last year as much as he wanted to. It's starting to show through this year.

Self believes the Morris twins will play better now that they're together on the same NBA team.

• Self says when people think about the history and legacy of KU, they should think about two coaches (Phog Allen and James Naismith) and all the players. When Self thinks about the history of the Chicago Bears, he doesn't think about Mike Ditka. He thinks about George Halas. There have been coaches that have started the success at KU. Self doesn't see what he and his staff have done as a big part of the legacy, because other coaches laid the foundation.

Self thinks the way TCU played KU the first time was perfect. It cut off angles in the post and limited transition. TCU whipped KU. No other team has been able to control the game the entire time against the Jayhawks. The Horned Frogs definitely have KU's respect.

Comments

deepind 1 year, 8 months ago

Mind Games 101 - by Bill Self! You can see he is setting up TCU nicely for the Saturday's game. :)

1 year, 8 months ago

DITTO! He is the master of using the press to set up the other teams and get into their heads. He does the same with the players, and always gets their attention.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

Tharpe went up in my book. Here most kids are trying to have the coach drop everything to get the kid to commit. Tharpe treated the recruitment as a job interview and wanted to lay a good foundation for the coach. I like it. I realize that Tharpe was ranked about 90th, but there were a lot of teams that wanted him.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Rustin Dodd of the KC Star has an update on the recruitment of Julius Randle today with him reflecting on his visit to KU. The article has a link to Randle's blog of his Sr. year that he's been doing for the USA Today. Before reading it I thought NC State was the clear-cut favorite, but after hearing him say "I know I'd have a legit chance to win a national championship there (at KU)" and that Andrea Hudy's "the best I've seen," I think we have as good of a chance as anyone else does at landing him.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

I think our chances of going to the Final 4 next season are at least 4 times higher if we land Randle. The thought of Ellis or Traylor being our best big next season is pretty frightening.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

He's more of a long-term project, but he could be our best big by the Big 12 tournament next season if we don't land Randle. He has tons of upside and talent, but he must get stronger and improve his low-post game.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 8 months ago

Boouk, Self was JACKED when he signed Embiid. People might be saying "project" when they talk about him, but those in the know such as the ESPN writer state that Joel will most likely be the biggest "from out of nowhere" story in CB next year. What he can do now is staggering. I don't think he needs to get stronger either, although he will at KU! He has more of the unibrow length, speed, and jumping ability. His frame won't allow him to beef it up down low, at least in my opinion.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 8 months ago

1973, this is 1959 wanting to know if you've found ANYTHING on Embiid. I've watched his yt video about 10 times, but when I google his name and the invisible school he plays for in FL, I can find NOTHING.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope you're right. He seems to have a good attitude. He has the size at 6'9 240. I heard that he's fairly skilled offensively. I just don't think he's that athletic though.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 8 months ago

Lots of kind words about Tharpe. Let's hope that means more minutes. He changes our half court offense, which is greatly needed when BMac disappears.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

We were a much weaker team when EJ fouled out against OSU. I'm definitely not ragging on Naadir at all, but PROPHET played a very solid game for us on Wednesday. If he can keep that up and officially come out of the slump, it bodes very, very well for us down the line.

Jack Jones 1 year, 8 months ago

Well said. Couldn't agree with you more. Elijah has been playing like the key player he was last year, and particularly during the tournament run. It's good to see him driving the ball and playing with more 'controlled' aggression these past three games > As usual, HC Self has put the winning pieces back together.

Byrd313 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm a Bears fan and yes, I think about Papa Bear George Halas, but that doesn't mean I don't love the ish out of Ditka. You are too modest Coach, because you are an absolute legend!!

LAJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Chicago boy here, born and raised. Bears fan until the end, and, yes, I too think very fondly of the Ditka. Bill Self, however, is light-years beyond Iron Mike. Ditka was a great coach. Bill Self will go down as a legend.

Mark it down.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 8 months ago

Self is wrong about the legacy. He and his staff are most definitely part of the legacy. We often don't think of recent history as "legacy" material but in 20 or 50 years his time here will most definitely be considered part of the KU legacy.

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I totally agree with you Bill Self is greatly underestimating his impact on the program, now and into the future. But, it is just like him to let others toss him the bouquet. I don't think he is as modest as he lets on, but he learned from upbringing and culture to act modest even if you are busting at the seams inside.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 8 months ago

When you win 8 straight conference championships, play in multiple Final Fours, and win a National Championship all in a decade, you are a legend.

tical523 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope Tharpe has a real good game tomorrow and gets on a roll with his confidence and leadership because he IS the key to our tourney run.

Eric Lynch 1 year, 8 months ago

Tharpe is the key if EJ can't get back to the level he played in NCAAs last year.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

Where are his comments about his dance moves...mc hammer might need some commission.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 8 months ago

Jesse, there are more loyal posters than I, but that said, what is the cause for the almost zero information on the Internet about Joel Embiid's year in Florida? In this age of information, I feel like a 16 year-old kid again trying to figure out the name of a song I heard on the radio but can't name. Most of you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 8 months ago

I've found a few, finally.

JE has been invited to play in the Michael Jordan Brand high school All-Star game. I'll answer below with this site.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 8 months ago

Embiid is the first player from The Rock to attend a national all-star game. Embiid is averaging 14.7 points, 9.8 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game for the Lions who are 27-4 this season. '

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

No questions from coach regarding the Rio tweets? Wonder if that was agreed upon before the press conference. Anybody know anything else? Hope Rio matures and grows emotionally. If he can hang in there, he has the physical tools to be really good. Just has to have the time for the "between the ears" muscle to grow a bit. I noticed he had good body language on the bench at Stillwater. I want a beat down against TCU tomorrow to get the stench of that loss out of my nostrils. Let's get an opportunity for the second and third group to get some PT. As a matter of fact, let's give them a beat down and STORM THE COURT! Just kidding.

idahawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I think the silence on the Rio tweets is deafening......if you know what I mean.