More links: Audio from Missouri representative who is really opposed to KU license plates; T-Rob labeled 'jackpot' player

A few more links in case you missed them ...

I heard this audio on the radio Wednesday and it's too crazy not to share.

Missourinet.com downloaded the full audio of Missouri Rep. Stephen Webber's impassioned speech to the Missouri House earlier this week, saying the state should not allow KU-themed license plates.

I would try to describe the speech, but whatever I say won't do it justice. Just give the link a click and be sure to sit down for the whole 3 1/2 minutes.

ESPN's Jason King posted three KU-related pieces Wednesday.

The first was a well-written feature on KU strength coach Andrea Hudy with lots of cool anecdotes from her life.

There's also a video with Self and a Coaches' Corner Q&A that includes many of the responses from Self in the video in text form, just in case you can't watch videos at work.

This is an ESPN Insider story, so a subscription is required, but ESPN Recruiting Nation gives KU's 2012 men's basketball recruiting class an "A," saying KU coach Bill Self's five signings "should be able to keep Kansas near the top of the Big 12."

SI.com's Sam Amick rates former KU forward Thomas Robinson as one of the four "jackpot" picks in this year's NBA Draft.

Amick labels a "jackpot" player as one whose "talent is immense and the upside is as trustworthy as there is in the draft."

The other three Jackpot players, according to Amick, are Kentucky's Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Florida's Bradley Beal.

• And finally, the NCAA sent out a release Wednesday regarding the sites of the 2013 NCAA men's basketball tournament, and Kansas City is included as a second-/third-round site.

The Missouri Valley Conference will serve as the host for the games, meaning all Big 12 schools are eligible to play at Sprint Center.

The closest Sweet 16/Elite Eight regional to KU, if you were wondering, is in Arlington, Texas. The Final Four will be played in Atlanta.

Comments

Jace FitzGibbon 6 years, 9 months ago

just the first couple sentences makes webber sound like a moron. to call a logo disgusting and stuff when youre a government official is ridiculous. also to say "screw KU" in your speech is stupid. this guy should be fired

milehighhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

That's why he will never be anything but a State Rep.

Those positions are laughable...heck - Angela's boyfriend (from The Office) was at least a State Senator!

Pitthawk34 6 years, 9 months ago

Did this guy ever take a communications course in college. Oh wait he went to MU, that explains.

kj_hawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad they waste their tax dollars on a-holes like this in Missouri. With representatives like him they can be assured to be the 50th best state in the union until Puerto Rico is added.

Travis Clementsmith 6 years, 9 months ago

My wife, who is not a sports fan, asked, "who is that guy that sounds like a drunk sports fan?" She wouldn't believe me when I said it was a Missouri State Senator.

David Leathers 6 years, 9 months ago

Well she shouldn't believe you, because he's not a state senator. He is just a Representative. AKA a M-I-Z-Loser.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 9 months ago

FINALLY the NCAA tournament comes to the Sprint Center...

John Myers 6 years, 9 months ago

As much as I really want to listen to that jack#$&'s speech, I can't do it, because I know that if I do, I'll probably end up sending him an email that I will regret..

What a sad, pathetic, little man he must be..

tychi_jayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Couldn't get past the first 20 seconds of the audio.. The guy sounds like a moron. Or like the catcher in Major League.

gchawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Just a point of reference, that would be Major League II. Tom Berenger was the catcher in the original one, and he was pretty sharp.

tychi_jayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

But of course. The venerable Eric Bruskotter as Rube Baker is who I was thinking of. But I guess that's not very fair to Eric, is it?

throwdown_wallet 6 years, 9 months ago

I listened to about 20 seconds of that clip and I don't get it. Why does Napoleon Dynamite hate KU so much?

KGphoto 6 years, 9 months ago

LMFAO!! I couldn't put a finger on it. Thanks.

GraniteHawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I kept waiting for him to say " Madame Speaker, would we have put the Jayhawk on license plates when the German's Bombed Pearl Harbor". The fact that he was ever elected says a lot about those voting. Columbia can have him!

Ross Cargo 6 years, 9 months ago

I emailed him:

Hello Mr Webber,

I heard some of your speech against the KU license plate. It was kind of short sighted and dumb of you to throw away the additional revenue those would have generated. But aside from generating a little revenue in a crappy economy, your bit about KU not wanting to play Missouri was grossly inaccurate. KU would be playing Missouri in all sports in the 2012-2013 season, except that it was MU that walked away from the competition when they bolted to the SEC. But hey, I guess you wouldn't let facts get in the way when you can spin it like a true politician.

I graduated from a Missouri High School. I then ran like hell to get away from the stupid state. A state that half the people cannot pronounce correctly. And, because of people like you, who publicly babble spittle on the taxpayer's dime.

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 9 months ago

Your revenue predictions aren't that significantly. If I remember right $15/plate and you would be lucky to get 1500 of these plates sold.

A wapping $22,500 (non-reoccurring) isn't something to sing home about.

Remember they couldn't even get 1300 pre-sales in North Carolina. I realize there are more in the state of Missouri, but it's not like this is a cash cow.

Most people don't want to spend any time in the DMV, but vanity plates would have you spend an additional 2-3 hours in the DMV.

EverRisingHawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Oh my lanta, what an absolute moron. That was the most moronic speech I've heard in some time. That dude hurts one's ears.

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 9 months ago

Coach self should be close to the top of the Big XII...that is one of the funniest statements I have heard.

You would think that the SI and ESPN would pick KU until a team actually can figure out how to beat us. There is a reason Bill Self has won 8 straight. He can find the diamonds in the rough. He gets the key additions to the team...and he can coach. I know we gave a lot of credit to Danny Manning (and rightfully so), but lets remember who is in charge.

I'm not sure if SI or ESPN can count to 9, so I understand their issue.

I'm trying to figure out who will compete in the Big XII next year against us. Baylor will fall off, Texas won't be as strong, West Virginia will be interesting.

Personally, I don't think we need as good of a team next year to win the big xii.

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 9 months ago

I know this will sound like sour grapes or that I'm being spiteful; however, I think that there should be some warning signs with regards to Anthony Davis.

I know he had huge offensive games, and he of course is solid on defense. However, let's be honest defense isn't the key part of the NBA game. In addition, Anthony Davis, when he actually played against heighth (e.g. Withey) he struggled. He is a center and doesn't have the meat to play 82 games. He needs some real training to help him, else he'll struggle immensely. I know he has some range, but he still has a lot of transition.

I've always said that big guys going from HS to College and College to the NBA have some of the biggest jumps. He went from HS to college (one year) and during his college year played against 5 big guys tops, and probably 1-2 future NBA players at his position.

Long and short, I guess I'm a little wary of his immediate impact.

mikehawk 6 years, 9 months ago

These people have got to start breeding outside of their own relatives.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

mikehawk - your statement reminded me of one of my all time favorite t-shirts:

Missouri - 6 million people - 5 last names

texashawk10 6 years, 9 months ago

Did anybody else make it more than 15 seconds into the audio clip without laughing? If you did, that is impressive. You know the guy is a complete idiot when his district includes basically all of Columbia except for the university. Even MU wants nothing to do with that dip* dumb. Like they say over there, 6 million people, 5 last names.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

But don't forget their (K-State's) awesome mascots!!

Willie "bighead" Wildcat and "BIGhair" EcoKat!!

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

(In reply to MoonwalkMafia66's comment)

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

lol - i'm embarrassed for them - and i can't STAND K-State.

Cmill1221 6 years, 9 months ago

I love this video. For the last few years Its been my automatic response on FB to all my KSU "Friends" when they talk smack about KU.

Ron Prichard 6 years, 9 months ago

I want to comment so badly about this moron's speech, but anything I saw will pale in comparison to just listening to it. Absolutely ridiculous. Is it wrong that I kept thinking of Sloth from Goonies when I was listening? Nnnyyyarrrggghhh.....!

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 9 months ago

I think you are being a little rude to sloth (and giving the rep a little extra credit then what he deserves).

KGphoto 6 years, 9 months ago

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you Jesse. That is simply priceless. Excuse me now, I've got to go circulate this on FB.

sloppyscience 6 years, 9 months ago

Geez, I've never heard that starfish from spongebob quite so worked up.

plotku 6 years, 9 months ago

If you haven't listened to the whole audio link you need to. It is fricken hillarious. I mean come on spit the pacifier out of your mouth and speak clearly. Things that made me laugh: 1. Apparently we are the insurgents from the west.
2. "There is no sweeter sound than a M I Z screw KU" Ha that's what makes you happy? Go play some D&D in your moms basement, if that's what really makes you happy.
3. "And their basketball team, which they think very highly of" HA HA of course we think highly of them. Look at the dang records. I'm sorry we played in the national Championship in a rebuilding year! 4. And this guy will personal file legisation for this ammendment when we get the courage to play them again. Once again M I Z (Oh I can't do it), ran to the SEC for money, and to not have to play the teams in the Big 12.

Michael Sizemore 6 years, 9 months ago

Nice to know not ALL the clowns are in the KS Statehouse!

Sam Constance 6 years, 9 months ago

Good lord.

I heard this guy speak on Kevin Keitzman's show, Between the Lines, while I was driving home from work yesterday. He repeated a lot of the content of his speech, albeit within the context of a radio interview.

But the best part of the interview was when Keitzman refused to let this a**clown continue promoting the idea that Kansas cancelled the series. Several times he said something to the effect of "Representative, come on, you aren't serious" when Webber would claim that Kansas ended the rivalry. Keitzman then pointed out that there were games with dates and times on the schedule for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. KU and MU had games that they were going to play, and would have played, if MU had not made a decision to cancel those games by leaving the conference.

I was also amused when Keitzman pointed out that KU doesn't have much/anything to gain by playing MU--they would be throwing away a valuable nonconference game in football (which KU needs, given that they are struggling in football and play in a tough conference), and they can sell out AFH for any game they want, and would just be helping MU basketball by playing in that sport. Rep. Webber responded by noting that those things were true, but that there was something of inherent value in the rivalry for it's own sake, having nothing to do with individual gain or bottom line.

When I heard that, I wanted to scream at the radio. That's the entire argument for MU not leaving the Big 12 in the first place--that there are parts of college sports that are of value that have nothing to do with bottom line. Things like playing your geographic neighbors. Things like staying with your partners of, in some cases, 100+ years. Things like competing with your oldest and most bitter rival for championships and titles, not just a token "rivalry" game in the parts of basketball/football season that are essentially warm-up games anyway.

It drives me nuts that MU fans and officials tout the "bottom line" and the overly-generic "conference stability" as reasons to leave that were more important than the things that I THOUGHT made college sports great (rivalries, tradition). But then when it comes to evaluating (or poo-pooing) a decision that Kansas made, all of a sudden the tradition and rivalries suddenly have all this intrinsic value. Well which is it Misery? Bottom line or intrinsic value?

I'll close my comment by saying that I'm thoroughly entertained by the fact that 2/3rds of this guy's speech was about KU not playing MU. As if that has or should have ANYTHING to do with what schools/organizations are allowed to have custom plates in the State of Missouri. It's so quintessentially "Missouri" to be so petty, spiteful and bitter while simultaneously trying to claim that it's the OTHER guy who's petty and bitter. SMH.

Ron Prichard 6 years, 9 months ago

I absolutely love this post! You not only nailed it on the head, you drove it right through the freaking drywall.

Sam Constance 6 years, 9 months ago

I guess one could say Rep. Webber's not knocking on the door....

kufankam 6 years, 9 months ago

I love it that he thinks basketball is played on a "field of competition"... no wonder they have never made it to the Final Four. They think basketball is played on a flipping field!!!!

Kyle Neuer 6 years, 9 months ago

It's kinda nice, hearing "extremely stupid, not coming from a legislator in Topeka for a change.