Perry Ellis chooses KU

4:35 p.m. update

That's going to wrap up the live coverage of the event here. Be sure to check back to KUsports.com for full press conference video after we get it all uploaded this evening. Also be sure to check out Gary's full story later on KUsports.com or in Thursday's Journal-World.

4:13 p.m. update: By Gary Bedore

Wichita Heights senior forward Perry Ellis orally committed to Kansas University at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday at the Wichita Heights High School gymnasium. Ellis, who was seated at a table next to his dad, Will, and mom, Fonda, chose KU over Kansas State, Wichita State and Kentucky.

"I knew for so long. I've been there so many times. I felt so comfortable there," Ellis said. "It made me realize that was the school for me. All the schools were so great, but I was so comfortable there."

Ellis said he was looking forward to working with KU big-man coach Danny Manning, who he's developed a relationship with.

He cited the improvement of the Morris twins as an example of Manning's coaching ability.

Ellis — the 24th-ranked player in the class of 2012, according to Rivals.com — called the coaches of the four schools immediately before the news conference.

"I'm happy it (recruiting) is over with," Ellis said. "I'm really excited."

4:05 p.m. update

Here's the short video of Perry Ellis announcing that he's going to KU. We'll have more of the press conference coming in a video later.

4 p.m. update

Quick poll question: Do you think Perry Ellis will start at KU his freshman year?

3:50 p.m. update

Have some short video of Ellis' announcement coming shortly.

3:28 p.m. update

Here are two photos from Gary Bedore. Couldn't get too close to him during the presser, or he'd have blocked all the cameras.

Wichita Heights basketball player Perry Ellis stands after announcing his decision to attend Kansas on Wednesday, Sept. 21, in Wichita. by Gary Bedore

Perry Ellis, center, sits with his father, Will, and mother, Fonda, during his press conference on Wednesday at Wichita Heights High School. Ellis selected Kansas over Kansas State, Wichita State and Kentucky. by Gary Bedore

3:20 p.m. update

Working on photos/video. Should have more posted shortly.

3:07 p.m. update

Here's what Perry Ellis was looking out at, just to give you an idea of the setting.

3:02 p.m. update

2:58 p.m. update

Press conference has ended. Ellis just walked out of the gym with his parents.

2:57 p.m. update

Ellis: "Even going up there (to KU), you could see the tradition before the games. ... It's one of the top tradition programs, I would say. I'm proud to be a part of it."

2:55 p.m. update

"It's one of the happiest days (of my life)," Ellis said.

2:53 p.m. update

Ellis said he was looking forward to working with Danny Manning. He mentioned the Morris twins as a sign of how well Manning develops players.

Ellis also said KU coach Bill Self was the first one to come to his games freshman year. "That really impressed me and humbled me," Ellis said.

2:50 p.m. update

"All these schools are real close to me. They've been there for three or four years now. It was a tough decision."

2:48 p.m. update

Ellis hugged both his parents after making the decision.

"I just felt so comfortable there (at KU)," he said.

2:47 p.m. update

After thanking God, his parents and Wichita Heights, his coach and his trainer and all the schools that recruited him, Perry Ellis picked Kansas University.

2:45 p.m. update

He's coming out right now.

2:40 p.m. update

Just been told this announcement shouldn't be delayed and will take place at 2:40 p.m.

Here's a photo of all the mics to show you the media presence here.

Senior Perry Ellis is announcing his college decision at Wichita Heights High School on Wednesday. by Jesse Newell

2:35 p.m. update

Hey guys. We're here live at Wichita Heights High School, waiting the announcement for Perry Ellis, who will choose his college destination at 2:45 p.m. His final four schools are Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State and Kentucky.

We arrived here about a half-hour early, and already, about 10 cameras were set up. This is announcement is drawing quite a media crowd, especially because the 24th-ranked player in the class of 2012 has three local schools left on his list.

Check back for more as we get closer to the announcement.

;

Comments

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow! What an interesting display of blogs about this 18ish year old kid kid. A high school kid lined up behind a bunch of microphones like some tea party candidate. Yet another member of KU's non-graduate NBA class. Hope this kid enjoys the NBA next season.

Bear86 2 years, 6 months ago

Great job HCBS on landing Perry Ellis. PE comes from a High School that produced many great BB players. Rock Chalk! F-Texas!

gardenjay 2 years, 6 months ago

It's his academics that are why he is such a good fit for KU.

I'm not so sure about his emulating the Morris Twins' path.

I think emulating Danny Manning might be the best model for new recruits, where they get a 4-year degree, then they really don't have to rely on B-ball, they can have fun playing college B-ball and if they want to do the NBA their stock will have risen through NCAA exposure. These players that bolt early just seem uncollegiate. The Danny Manning method.

Kye Clark 2 years, 6 months ago

Great start to the recruiting class (sorry, I'm having trouble getting hyped for Zach Peters). Now go out and get Kaleb Tarczewski & Nino Jackson and we'll be looking really good. Muhammed would be the crown jewel of the recruiting class, but trying to temper my expectations a bit. Is there a reason we're not in on that Cauley kid from Olathe? He'd be good insurance in case we don't land Kaleb.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 6 months ago

This is awesome news. I felt like a 100-pound rock just came off my shoulder when I heard about Perry's decision. I was a little worried that Kentucky made a big push toward the end. Now, I need to go see Perry play at Intrust Arena, coming up in December. It will be exciting to know that I will be watching a Jayhawk-to-be in action. The Intrust Arena game in Wichita, KS, is tentatively scheduled for Friday, December 9th. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 6 months ago

I know his ranking isn't great but I love the Peters kid! If you ever watched Illinois when HCBS was there, you know what he can do with a big, strong, athletic guy! Every guy on the floor isn't expected to score 20 points per. This combination is the beginning of very nice frontcourt!!! Just throw Tarc in there now!

KGphoto 2 years, 6 months ago

Here comes another wave. One slow year and the Kansas train builds up some momentum. I like the kids we have an eye on. If Tarc commits, I think we have the blocks in place to leave the BigBang conference with a little something in the hardwood department.

RCJHGKU!!

DDDHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Perry, you just made my day! I can't wait to see you in a Jayhawk uniform, but I am also proud you chose K.U. since you are such a great academic student! Welcome, fellow Jayhawk!

jhwkr542 2 years, 6 months ago

With this kid's demeanor and being a local guy, anyone else reminded of Wayne Simien a little bit? I hope he turns out to be as good as Simien, if not better...

Dale Kroening 2 years, 6 months ago

Wheres the UK trolls at now ?????????????????????? Good choice Perry and welcome to KU !!!!! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cajayfan 2 years, 6 months ago

Nothing on ESPN about Perry Ellis, but the top story is about Kentucky's latest recruit win. Hmmmmmm

ChelseaJayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

LETS AV IT !!!!! ROCK CHALK BABY

woodscolt 2 years, 6 months ago

All the uk ku stuff. We got the star player we wanted and as a consolation prize Kentucky got the #6 guys commitment. All and all a good recruiting start for 2012 for both schools.

Welcome aboard, Perry, you also made me very happy today, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrishDaddy 2 years, 6 months ago

Perry in his pretty Ralph Lauren shirt, what a stud !!! LMAO !

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 6 months ago

When KU and KY play this season, I think our coaching staff should wear matching Perry Ellis branded shirts, ties or something to rag on UK nation. In fact, KUStore.com needs to work on a new line featuring KU and Perry Ellis branded/licensed merchandise.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

Good point. Mom had to catch him in the basement sooner or later, right?

texashawk10 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing whoever UKallday was stealing his internet from found out and set a password and now he can't get on the internet anymore.

actorman 2 years, 6 months ago

Where is that Kentucky poster, anyway? Surely he has to come here to get his recipe for fried crow, right?

What a perfect fit for KU. Can't wait!!! And did he handle everything with class or what?

Lance Hobson 2 years, 6 months ago

The Big 12 is still the Big 12 and the great Perry Ellis is a Jayhawk, all is right with the world again!

kennethterry92 2 years, 6 months ago

Welcome to the jayhawk Family Perry.

kennethterry92 2 years, 6 months ago

+1 I agree with you there. Where is this Kentucky poster boy who according to him was going to come on this site and brag when Perry chose Kentucky. Two words for you Kentucky boy Rock Chalk.

bennybob 2 years, 6 months ago

I knew this was going to be good news the second i didn't see any hats on the table lol

seriosly though, i have been hard on self's recruiting this past year because i beleive he deserved it.

I am not above giving praise were praise is do however, Geting a commit from the top priority target early has been something we've been waiting for for years now and it finally just happened... Kudos to Self.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

Funny how ESPN has a story up for Goodwin's commitment yet nothing for Ellis...

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 6 months ago

ukallday....

You earned a steaming plate of crow.... come get it while it's hot

jayhwkr77 2 years, 6 months ago

does anyone think there may be a fat lawsuit coming towards wichita heights high school given the logo posted up behind Perry. i guess they may be protected but who knows. anyways, ROCK CHALK!

tis4tim 2 years, 6 months ago

Great news! Welcome, Mr. Ellis!

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 6 months ago

wow, what a pick me up! a tough week of football, and Big 12 chaos....this is awesome!

Welcome Mr. Ellis! and kudos to Bill Self and staff....he needed this for sure, to kick off the class this year...(i know Zach has already committed). it's going to be a dandy class......again, welcome Perry and Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

If Kaleb commits and Jeff is half way decent, in 2012 HCBS could put a tall tree line-up of Kaleb, Perry, Jeff, Zach along with Elijah and just alley-oop our opponents to death!!

longtimehawk 2 years, 6 months ago

That's good news, now, fire turner gill.

kushaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Just went to Nordstram and picked up my first Perry Ellis shirt for my new collection!

jeremy424 2 years, 6 months ago

I want to see a video of this!!!

FLJHK 2 years, 6 months ago

Great kid, great decision. Welcome Perry!

SCHNBALL 2 years, 6 months ago

paging UKALLDAY paging UKALLDAY

vd 2 years, 6 months ago

Another Turner Gill comes to KU.

JHAWKNPHX 2 years, 6 months ago

Ellis, you just made my day!!!! My office staff jumped when I yeld at the news. Welcome to the family!!!! RCHJHK!!

jay381 2 years, 6 months ago

Well this glass was half full (at least) not half empty {ref my post earlier in the week)}. Congrats to the young man for choosing the school, the coaches and the collegiate environment that will not only be best for him today but for the rest of his life. Enjoy the game this weekend to really begin to realize what it will mean as you go through life after college to be a Jayhawk. If he comes to the game on Sat I hope all in the area that are in attendance give him his first real Jayhawk welcome when he is recognized in the stands.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 6 months ago

I always say...it is always a great day to be a Jayhawk fan, but some days are better than others...today is one of those days!!!

P.S. The conference status being settled probably did not hurt.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 6 months ago

YES! It will definately be rockin Saturday for the Legends game, especially when Mr. Perry Ellis gets a standing ovation from the crowd as our newest Jayhawk

sekjayhawkfan 2 years, 6 months ago

Great news! With all those cameras and media trucks, will their be a video posted on this site soon?

gchawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Awesome!! We were definitely in need of some good news. To quote Steve Martin: "Things are going to start happening to me now !!". Great decision, Perry, you well never regret it.

aviebs51 2 years, 6 months ago

This is for all the people who said Self can't recruit.....they will say 'well he was an instate guy,' well sometimes it's harder to get those guys cuz they've had it shovEd down their throat for so long....great get. He is the type of guy we want in our program....now we just got to get him to stay longer than one year....case and point should be Thomas Robinson. Look how much you can improve from your first to second year....

STLJHawk86 2 years, 6 months ago

This is the take from Kentucky (seaofblue.com):

For Kentucky, this is a big recruiting blow. The Wildcats had been closely linked with Ellis during his junior season, but his recruitment tailed off in the early part of 2011, leading to speculation that Kentucky had stopped recruiting the talented big man. However, Calipari made a concerted effort to spend as much time as possible watching Ellis during the summer evaluation period. As the summer wore on, it became clear that Calipari thought of Ellis as his top target at the power forward position.

I love it!

dynamitehawk 2 years, 6 months ago

You know what time it is... UKALLDay Message Board graffiti time! Show some love:

COJayhawker 2 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes I just LOVE being wrong. I thought for sure that Used-Car-Cal had swooped in and taken another from us. Great to hear that Perry is staying close to home, very happy to have him!!

d_park 2 years, 6 months ago

i warned everybody. they wouldn't listen

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 6 months ago

What a refreshing kid. Stayed at his local high school, is humble. Welcome.

kubballjunkie 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey UKAllDay, where you at?????!!!!

Nice get Hawks! Now we add K-T and 'Bazz!!!

rhollinshed 2 years, 6 months ago

Was there ever any other option than KU? LOL! Glad you made the right choice! Plus, who would want to play for CRAZY EYES?!?!?!

TXBBall55 2 years, 6 months ago

"There were no hats for the Ellis decision. Actually, I thought he and his family handled it well. Very little self-promotion. Came in, announced, answered questions and didn't make this a circus."

That's the difference between a KU commit and a classless Kensucky commit.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 6 months ago

Awesome!!!! Welcome to the family Perry. You couldn't have made a better choice.

perryellisfuturehawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Never a doubt. Welcome aboard Perry! Coach Manning will get you where you want to go.

woodscolt 2 years, 6 months ago

Simple one to figure: The kid is a 4.0 gpa. What was the smartest choice? Easy for a smart kid to figure out.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 6 months ago

...there's no better place to play...

...those places are good, but Kansas is special...

...fire turner...

Eric Dawson 2 years, 6 months ago

Finally some GREAT news for KU this month! Welcome to KANSAS, Perry!

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk KU!

RockCaCO3 2 years, 6 months ago

Hell yeah! Welcome to KU Perry!

joshar 2 years, 6 months ago

"It's one of the happiest days (of my life)," Ellis said. No kidding it's one of the happiest day of your life, you picked one of the best basketball schools in history. Great choice! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Andini 2 years, 6 months ago

Sweet. Hopefully KU will be able to land Ralph Lauren & Tommy Hilfiger next.

ParisHawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Great comment on Danny Manning: the Twins weren't great when they came, they became great. He's going to realize the difference Hudy makes too.

eastTXjayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

ETJ is in Moscow and stayed up for this, and now my trip home will be so much better. Awesome news!!

Michael Auchard 2 years, 6 months ago

Just jumped up in the air (at work, no less) with a double fist pump and yelled, "F*&$, yeah!!!" No shame at all!

Hell, yeah, Hawks!

CWGOKU 2 years, 6 months ago

Way to go KU and Perry Ellis!

STLJHawk86 2 years, 6 months ago

Is is possible that Cal and Kentucky were allowed into the process at the last minute for the sole purpose of giving them a black eye in recruting? Given the character of the Ellis family this seems unlikely -- but it would be a very shrewd (and delightful) tactic.

Al Martin 2 years, 6 months ago

Where's that Kentucky troll? I was just certain that we'd hear from him :-)

hawkhoops 2 years, 6 months ago

Rock Chalk Perry!!

Now go have a great senior year!!!

MartyrMangino 2 years, 6 months ago

Let's hope that Self will work Ellis and these guys harder than our football team works with their peewee, Monday's-off, football Sabbath.

Displayhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Excellent Choice!!! .......That Kensucky poster can suck it!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Kaleb....now you've got a big guy to help on the boards......come on down!!!!!!!!

capnwacky 2 years, 6 months ago

Didn't we already land this kid like 5 years ago? Or is that just how long the LJW has been covering him?

adamjhwkfan 2 years, 6 months ago

YES!! Even with the horrible week (read:year) that I've been having, this has brought a smile to my face. Thank you Perry! Welcome to the University of Kansas, and Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank God...none of those friggin' hats!!

Perry....welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 6 months ago

Sweet!!!!! Welcome Mr. Ellis!!

RCJH!!!!!!

David Leathers 2 years, 6 months ago

Rock Chalk!!! Welcome Perry. Good Choice.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 6 months ago

ROCK CHALK PERRY ELLIS!!!!! You won't regret it! Welcome to the Family!

Bryan Fisher 2 years, 6 months ago

Way to go coaches! Congratulations on your hard work. Welcome aboard Perry. You're gonna love it.

David Serven 2 years, 6 months ago

What a great day for a great player and great school!!! RCJHKU

TXBBall55 2 years, 6 months ago

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! Good choice young man!

joshar 2 years, 6 months ago

YES!! This makes a stressful week better.

2 years, 6 months ago

Seth Davis just tweeted that Ellis chose KU

Ben Kane 2 years, 6 months ago

what does it say underneath the KU on the banner?

Stephen Johnson 2 years, 6 months ago

lets get this recruiting started with a bang

IlikeKUabuttton 2 years, 6 months ago

None by Seth Davis

Brett Arnberger 2 years, 6 months ago

C'mon Perry...say 2 words...

"Rock Chalk"

kushaw 2 years, 6 months ago

Come on Perry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel it! KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

milehighhawk 2 years, 6 months ago

Rock Chalk!!!

...but I thought Self couldn't recruit anymore?