25 interesting stats, facts and quirks about this year's KU football team

Here are some numbers I found interesting about this year's KU football team.

All stats come from cfbstats.com or KUathletics.com.

KU is the only team in the nation that has played three games without recording an interception or throwing one. Only nine other teams haven't recorded an interception, while 11 others haven't thrown one. Utah State and Rice also have no interceptions offensively or defensively, but both have just played two games.

Kansas quarterback Jordan Webb throws over Northern Illinois defenders Tommy Davis and Joe Windsor during the first quarter on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011 at Kivisto Field. by Nick Krug

KU's offense is sixth in the nation in third-down conversion (57.45 percent). The two Div. I teams that KU has played this season also rank in the top eight nationally (Georgia Tech, first; Northern Illinois, eighth).

KU is eighth nationally in punting, averaging 47.8 yards per boot. Ron Doherty doesn't make the national leaders list, though, because KU has not punted enough; a punter has to average 3.6 punts per game, and Doherty has 3.3.

Even with the defensive struggles, KU has more first downs than its opponents this year (74-73).

• KU's defense has allowed the most 20-plus-yard plays (24) of any Div. I team. The Jayhawks also have allowed the most 30-plus-yard plays (14) and 60-plus-yard plays (four). The Jayhawks are tied for second nationally in 10-plus-yard plays allowed (56).

Northern Illinois running back Jasmin Hopkins takes in the Huskies' final touchdown late in the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011 at Kivisto Field. by Nick Krug

KU's opponents are averaging just 32.4 yards per punt.

KU has allowed five sacks in three games this year (1.7 per game). Last year, the Jayhawks allowed 37 sacks in 12 games (3.08 per game).

Opponents are averaging 8.5 yards per play against KU's defense.

• KU quarterback Jordan Webb has completed 39 of 59 passes this year (66.1 percent). The school record for best completion percentage is held by Todd Reesing, who completed 66.5 percent of his passes in 2008.

Kansas lineman Trevor Marrongelli congratulates quarterback Jordan Webb (2) after the Jayhawks' 42-24 win over McNeese State on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011 at Kivisto Field. by Nick Krug

On third down and 10 or more yards to go, Webb is 4-for-5 passing for 89 yards and two TDs. All four of his completions have gone for 15-plus yards.

Running back James Sims is averaging 5.3 yards per carry on first downs (27 carries, 143 yards).

Running back Darrian Miller averages 6.0 yards per carry in the first half (23 carries) and 3.3 yards per carry in the second half (11 carries).

Kansas running back Darrian Miller scores against Georgia Tech on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2011 in Atlanta. by Richard Gwin

• Linebacker Steven Johnson is second in the Big 12 in tackles (31, 10.33 per game).

• Receiver/kick returner D.J. Beshears leads the Big 12 in all-purpose yards per game (183.7).

KU's rushing offense (235 yards per game) is second in the Big 12 behind Missouri.

KU is one of only nine teams nationally to have at least 13 trips to the red zone and score on every one of them.

The Kansas Jayhawks celebrate a touchdown by receiver D.J. Beshears during the first quarter against Northern Illinois on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2011 at Kivisto Field. by Nick Krug

KU has scored touchdowns on 84.62 percent of its trips to the red zone — the fifth-highest mark nationally for teams with at least 13 red-zone trips.

• KU's offense had eight, 70-plus-yard TD drives in 2010. The Jayhawks already have nine, 70-plus-yard TD drives in three games this year.

KU does not have a punt return yet this season.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

What a bunch of bs. I make the funniest comment ever about firing Turner and dyslexia and nobody pays attention because stupid conference realignment.

Look up here, look up here, look up here

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

haha - glad i'm not the only one who feels slighted when Good stuff goes unnoticed.

Nice "Three Amigos" reference, by the way.

KGphoto 3 years, 1 month ago

I knew it! There could be only one reason for you to be here. By the way, I'm pretty sure that's the second time you've said "I made the funniest comment ever", in the last couple of months.

van·i·ty   [van-i-tee] Show IPA noun, plural -ties, adjective noun 1. excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain; conceit: Failure to be elected was a great blow to his vanity. 2. an instance or display of this quality or feeling. 3. something about which one is vain. 4. lack of real value; hollowness; worthlessness: the vanity of a selfish life. 5. something worthless, trivial, or pointless.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 1 month ago

What is this? Turner's word of the week!

Oh man, I kill me!

Hooligan_016 3 years, 1 month ago

Stat from the future: KU football allowed opponents to score more combined points in a season than KU basketball

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

My first thought was " What KSU or MU hacker posted these terrible stats? "

Honestly, we know we're that bad, please don't publish it for the rest of the world to see.

kufan8808 3 years, 1 month ago

Actually most of them are good... plus every team has its weaknesses I think the stats are very interesting.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

kufan8808, After looking at it again, you're right, there are some good stats there. Not defensively. I guess after 66-24, the "glass half empty" part of me picked out all the bad stuff. And there was a lot to choose from. Something has to be done about the defense. It's really embarrassing. You know what the worst stat to me is? The one that shows that KU does not have a punt return this season. How bad are you when the other team never has to punt?

• KU's defense has allowed the most 20-plus-yard plays (24) of any Div. I team. The Jayhawks also have allowed the most 30-plus-yard plays (14) and 60-plus-yard plays (four). The Jayhawks are tied for second nationally in 10-plus-yard plays allowed (56).

• KU has allowed 13 rushing plays of 20-plus yards this season. The second-most allowed by any Div. I team is eight.

• KU's 44 points per game allowed is tied for second-worst nationally. The Jayhawks' 282 rushing yards per game allowed also is the second-worst mark in the nation.

• KU has allowed 550 yards per game, which is second worst in the nation next to North Texas (559 yards per game). As a side note, North Texas' defensive coordinator is former KU defensive coordinator Clint Bowen.

• KU has allowed 7.49 yards per rush this season. That's almost a full yard more than the second-worst run defense in Div. I (North Texas, 6.56 yards per rush).

• There have been only two 90-yard runs in Div. I this season: Oregon's LaMichael James' 90-yard run against FCS school Missouri State and Georgia Tech's Orwin Smith's 95-yard run against KU.

• Opponents are averaging 8.5 yards per play against KU's defense.

• KU does not have a punt return yet this season.

• KU's defense has allowed 28 points per second half and 18.3 points per third quarter this year.

TKHAWK 3 years, 1 month ago

Those are some really interesting stats! Thanks for that. It does show that there are certainlyy more positives than last year, even though we all know we still have some work to do, I believe the team is heading in the right direction. Last year I didn't even want to watch us, this year at least our offense does some impressive things. The stat that actually made me chuckle was point #4, if GT can score in 1 play, they don't need a lot of first downs!

kureignman 3 years, 1 month ago

Jesse, I love stats but some of those are hard to look at. Maybe to feel better, I'll go back and look at some of the realignment talk.

kufan8808 3 years, 1 month ago

Awesome thanks for posting these! Very Interesting :) Not team can be the bet at everything. A lot has improved though! I don't like realignment talk. Thats whats hard to look at for me. I cant stand the thought of the Big 12 falling apart. The conferences are suppose to be regional. Were breaking up rivalries that date back for ages. It irks me that the costal conferences get to pick at us in the middle. It all just reminds me how greedy people are.

AsadZ 3 years, 1 month ago

What a contrast between offense and defense, its night and day. This KU team reminds me of KC Chiefs teams of mid 2000s under Vermeil, great offense (Green, Priest, Tony G) but horrible defense.

OKHawkFan 3 years, 1 month ago

ha ha it's kinda the opposite from a few years back. Didn't one of Mangino's teams have a pretty good defense but was terrible on offense. I believe that Kevin Kane was a linebacker that year and I'm wanting to say that Zac Wegoner was our QB. I can remember thinking back then "man we suck on offense!!"

KGphoto 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, at least we know what to work on now. That's not as sarcastic as it sounds either. I think many of those stats were very telling of a team who could turn right around and compete in the BigBang12, with only a few tweaks.

Thanks Jesse.

Kent Wells 3 years, 1 month ago

8 Observations regarding the 25 stats:

1. Opponents don't need many first downs. Our defense just opts to give up the big plays.

2. KU would beat UNT 159-156 in a game with over 2,000 yards of total offense.

3. Clint Bowen would be a nice addition to our defensive coaching staff. He apparently shares the same defensive philosophies as our defensive coaches. Wear out the opponents by letting them run a lot.

4. We just need to start each series at 3rd and 10.

5. If Oregon played KU this year, Mr. Assault Everyone would score touchdowns on 14 plays of 90 yards or more.

6. Doherty will have plenty of opportunities to get that punt per game average up there as the real teams start appearing on the schedule.

7. KU might get really close to giving up 10,000 yards of total offense this year. What is the record???

8. It's going to be a long year.

CaramelMacchMan 3 years, 1 month ago

All you had to publish was.

Offense reminds of 2008 season, while Defense reminds me of some High school team playing pro team.

Randy Bombardier 3 years, 1 month ago

This is deplorable defense. You cannot and should not attribute this to the players. Time to man up, coaches. HCTG, it is going to get really ugly unless you start looking for a D Coordinator. I am all for you but protect yourself, Coach, a get a real Defensive Coordinator.

gardenjay 3 years, 1 month ago

I also think Turner Gill is doing a wonderful job. I trust he is doing something to help the D, and looking forward to the next game. Rock Chalk.

deathtomizzou 3 years, 1 month ago

Newell just wasted a whole lot of time stating the obivious. Defense sucks and Offense has been good. Slow news week with the bye I quess!

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 1 month ago

One thing that doesn't get mentioned is that the special teams have been pretty decent so far. Last year, they were a complete disaster! But some of these stats make the defense seem evern worse than I thought they were...and I thought they were pretty awful!