Cliff's Notes: Turner Gill press conference, 9/13/11
Here is the Cliff's Notes version of Kansas football coach Turner Gill's comments at his weekly press conference today.
If you want to get live updates from each week's press conference, be sure to follow us on Twitter (@kusports).
• Gill said KU's fans have been tremendous in the Jayhawks' two home games. He appreciates it, and his players and coaches do, too.
• Receivers Daymond Patterson and JaCorey Shepherd are out for the Georgia Tech game. Shepherd's injury is anticipated to be short term. The bye week after the Georgia Tech game could help KU in that respect.
• This past offseason, KU's coaches evaluated everything in terms of conditioning. They put together a plan to try to get the players better.
• Gill says the biggest key for his team against Georgia Tech's offense is to tackle well. Last year against Georgia Tech, KU's defense tackled well and created a few turnovers.
• Linebacker Tunde Bakare is probable for the Georgia Tech game. Gill anticipates that he will play. The coaches feel good about Bakare's progress this season.
• Gill believes his team will be more prepared for its first road game this year. Many players are back from last year, and the coaching staff has been here more than one year now.
• Gill says it's OK to call KU's running back as QB formation "The Wildcat." It's less confusing for people that way because it's the formation's common name. He's not concerned that the name is also the mascot of one of KU's biggest rivals.