Latest on KU recruits Josh Selby, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones

Here is the latest from Kansas basketball targets Josh Selby, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones after talking with each of them at media day for the Jordan Brand Classic today in New York City.

Josh Selby

Though Selby — ranked No. 4 overall by Rivals.com — is considered to be a heavy Kansas lean, the 6-foot-3 guard said Thursday that he hadn't officially decided on a school yet.

"I'm trying to cut the schools down, but it's so hard," Selby said. "I'm waiting for my mom and my uncle to come up here Saturday. We're supposed to sit down and talk about every school."

He listed his finalists in this order: UConn, Arizona, Tennessee, Kansas and Kentucky.

"I don’t know who it’s going to come down to, because all the schools have a lot of positive and negative things about them," Selby said, "so I don’t know yet."

Selby said that No. 1-ranked Rivals.com player Brandon Knight's decision to attend Kentucky on Wednesday wouldn't affect his decision.

Interestingly, Selby said he doesn't view himself as a Derrick Rose or a John Wall type of player.

"I don’t see myself as them, because right now, I don’t look at me as one-and-done," Selby said. "They were one-and-done in high school.

"That’s the way I humble myself. I think I lack everything. You’re always working on every part of your game."

Selby will announce his college choice during following a first-half media timeout at the Jordan Brand Classic game on Saturday.

When asked to compare his game to someone from the past, the Baltimore native came up with an interesting response.

"The old Steve Francis. Not the new one, the old one," Selby said. " ... The old Steve Francis, he was the man."

Doron Lamb

Unlike Selby, the 6-foot-4 Lamb already has made up his mind which school he will attend next year. He's just not letting anyone know until Saturday.

Like Selby, Lamb will commit following a first-half media timeout at the Jordan Brand Classic game.

Lamb, the 21st-ranked player in Rivals.com's rankings, listed his finalists in this order: UConn, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Looking for clues as to whom he will sign with? Try reading into this quote.

"I wanted to go to a school that had the right program, a winning program, a winning coach," Lamb said. "Somewhere I could play right away at. Just (a place) that felt like home to me."

Lamb said he had not alerted any coaches of his decision. He said the coaches would find out where he was going to school by hearing the announcement like everyone else.

He also said he had talked some with Selby.

"I don’t know where he’s going. He doesn’t know where I’m going," Lamb said. "We both have to wait and see where we’re going Saturday. We’ve just got to wait."

The two will figure out Friday which player will have their announcement first. If both were to commit to KU, that could make for interesting television.

Lamb, by the way, said he will put on the winning school's hat during his announcement.

Terrence Jones http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2010/Apr/15/Jones.jpg

There have been some rumblings about KU perhaps having a chance at Jones, a 6-foot-8 forward and the 13th-ranked overall player according to Rivals.com.

So, I asked Jones today if KU was in his mix of schools.

"I won’t really know until after this (Jordan Brand Classic) is over," Jones said. "I haven’t really started my recruitment over. It’s been on pause."

Rivals.com says Jones is considering Kentucky, Oklahoma, Oregon, UCLA, Washington, Arizona and Kansas.

Jones said he talked with KU coach Bill Self before the first signing period ended.

"He’s a great coach with a great program," Jones said. "That’s a great school."

;

Comments

Scatterhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

I think Selby's pretty well guaranteed to go to KU.

Luke Winn at SI.com had a story today about recruiting. The choice bit for KU fans:

"The one recruit who didn't care about the signing day madness was Selby... When I asked Selby for his reaction on Knight, he said, 'I didn't know that it happened. I don't have a reaction, because it doesn't have any affect on where I'm going.'

...one could sense that Selby, who's going to announce his college choice at halftime of Saturday's Jordan game, wasn't too interested in Kentucky. He mentioned that while he'd spoken with Kansas coach Bill Self a few days earlier, he hadn't spoken with Calipari in a couple of months.

I asked if I should take that as a sign. Selby said, 'Yeah, that's a sign.'"

Full story here (its mostly about Kentucky):

Jaminrawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Great article, Scatterhawk. Somehow I missed that one today. I love Selby and his game. I really home he is wearing a Kansas jersey next year. No lie, he impressed me more at the McDonalds AA weekend than Knight. He has that swagger and a better all-around point game than Knight. Knight is possibly a better pure scorer but Selby is a freaking warrior. Him comparing his game to the "old Steve Francis" is nice to hear.

kushaw 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I read that article earlier as well! I'm having a very good gut feeling that Selby chooses KU.

Also, I like the spin that Newell put on this piece because it puts KU in a positive light and it also makes me feel confident in Lamb selecting KU even though I still think it's a toss-up between KU, UK, and UCONN. Let's get some "KU Guys" on some of these National sites and publications so we can start the "Midwest Bias" movement. What do you say Newell? I sure would like to see 1 homer on KU's side rather than 50 homers sporting big time jobs in favor of UNC and Kentucky. Have to start somewhere, right?

KGphoto 4 years, 4 months ago

They haven't even told each other? Really? Huh.

What if they all sign with Arizona? Doh! : 0

kushaw 4 years, 4 months ago

How come no information about Terrence Ross? I thought he was more of a player than Jones at the moment. Is Ross even academically qualified? Some rumblings that he may not quality?

floridajayhawks 4 years, 4 months ago

Little worried about sat. like to hear that selby doesn't see himself as a OAD.

rcjh22 4 years, 4 months ago

We get Selby. Kensucky gets Lamb and whoever else. They still don't win a NC. We win another.

resultsinMarch 4 years, 4 months ago

We should not talk about winning a national champioship, just win in March, not lose to a mid-major ever again!!

I love this Selby kid. I watch the slam dunk contest, which is won, he has a great attitude---We need kids that want to stay more than 1 year.

I am excited about next year, I hope all Jayhawks hit the weight room. We need to be tougher and quicker.

Go Hawks!!

rpkenfan88 4 years, 4 months ago

Keitzman said he had a source that said Selby was going to UK and we were getting Lamb.

rpkenfan88 4 years, 4 months ago

Kevin Keitzman host the #1 sports talk show here in KC on 810

kushaw 4 years, 4 months ago

Anything related to KC 810 has no credibility IMO.

rpkenfan88 4 years, 4 months ago

Yea, a radio station of that size and magnitude has 0% credibility-get a clue. You might not like an individual on the station but they are very credible-and since you didnt even know who Kietzman you don't listen to the station therefore you passing judgment is ignorant. I'm not the bigggest Kietzman fan but he does take his job very serioulsy and if he says something it usually isnt too far from the truth-let's hope he is wrong because I really like Selby

kushaw 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't have to listen to 810 or KC810 or whatever the hell the station is called to make a judgement. When a station goes National to get a petition for the firing of Bobby Knight and Brent Musburger that is absolutely obsurd.

Next time, try giving the first name of an individual when throwing out random last names. And Yes, he is K-State homer so what does that tell you. All I know is that he works for a radio station that creates publicity in a very negative manner. KC 810 is worthless! They are more gossip than TMZ

Firebirdguy31 4 years, 4 months ago

He's a K-SUck tool. Only wants to piss off KU fans and have people tune in to his show. Again, he's a tool.

rpkenfan88 4 years, 4 months ago

he is a tool but that doesnt mean he's wrong

Lone_salina_kufan 4 years, 4 months ago

Im a huge 810 fan. Keitzman is a KState homer, but he did get his degree there, so take it with a grain of salt. While Keitzman isn't everyone's cup of tea, to insult the entire station is absurd, especially Soren Petro. He may be the best in the business. Anything is better than that Nick Wright pontificating loser.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

Great update Jesse! I do think it's interesting that they both listed UConn and Arizona before they mentioned Kansas and Kentucky, but I don't think that we can really take any meaning out of it. I think that Selby and Lamb both announce for Kansas. I don't know that we really need both...

Here's a question, Bill Self has mentioned wanting a post player... would we pull Lamb's offer if we could get a commitment from Jones? Would Jones come to KU likely knowing that he won't start over Marcus Morris? If we got Selby, Lamb, and Jones what are the chances of starting 3 freshman next year?

jhawk613 4 years, 4 months ago

what about a transfer that we don't know about yet?

My brother has heard a rumor about EJ transferring. I have no claim to the validity, but hasn't Self has someone transfer every year since he's been at KU?

Brady Swenson 4 years, 4 months ago

The recent transfers and redshirts at KU have happened when you sign top recruits and kids think they won't get enough PT because of it... it is a reflection on Self's recruiting ability and the wealth of talent he brings in every year.

GilbertAZ 4 years, 4 months ago

The best source i've heard so far is the kid who predicted Kentucky getting Knight and Gilcrest. He is around these players and i'm sure has more conversations about where players are going then the so called experts. Hope he's right about Selby and Lamb.

Scatterhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

I feel like kind of a jerk for saying this, but with the potential NBA lockout this is a good year to be on one and dones. They might not have a choice but to stay two years. Though, that's a completely selfish thing from my side, and not good for the players themselves.

BrockIII 4 years, 4 months ago

Good amount of people think Ross can't qualify academically and is headed to prep school. There have been mixed messages about how seriously Jones is considering KU. Looks like he wants to play the 3 wherever he is going and is waiting on Selby and Lamb's decisions before committing.

DevilHawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Selby:

Everything still sounds like Selby is coming to KU. Especially the fact that he is talking with Collins on a quasi-regular basis. (Video: http://www2.kusports.com/videos/2010/...)

Lamb:

Seems to be one of two possibilities. If he plans to be one-and-done then he is probably headed to Kentucky. If not, then I think he is probably coming to KU. Given that Selby does not consider himself a one-and-done and the possibility of the lockout, I think the scales weigh in favor of KU.

Jones:

I highly doubt that he is coming to KU.

patton6 4 years, 4 months ago

Damn, LJW footing the bill for Jessie to go to NYC to watch "potential" Kansas commits... I hope they know something we don't.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 4 months ago

Tell me this .. how is Lamb any better than EJ? We seem to put recruits on a pedestal, and assume that because they are new, they are better. I can see how Selby might be viewed differently given his top 5 ranking, and potential #1 when all is done. But Lamb is #21 overall and EJ was #24.

FYI, TT was #77.

waywardJay 4 years, 4 months ago

HEM, Tyshawn's our starting point guard next year. Your point ? I seem to rmemeber Aaron Mile sbeing a decent point guard though he couldn;'t shoot until he was a senior.....

Until EJ gets on the floor, w are going to have to assume Lamb's as good..... I love Ej's attitude, I love what i have seen but let's be honest... he didn';t play and we were dreaful behind Sherron and Tyshawn at ttimes this year

BrockIII 4 years, 4 months ago

TT can't handle, can't play defense and doesn't have a fraction of the point guard IQ Miles had at KU.

tstanlick1909 4 years, 4 months ago

HEM,

Lamb and Ej are 100% different players

thedudelovesKU 4 years, 4 months ago

All signs point to KU for selby. Yes i know we all know that, but i gotta good feeling about lamb. He said distance from home has absolutely no effect on his decision whatsoever. that bodes well for ku

dynamitehawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Scatter (and all) - we miss on guys all the time. Reminder: Jeremy Cheek (yes, I had to look him up). Michael Snear. Malik Harris. Derrick Rose. Tyreke Evans. John Wall. Charlie Villanueva. Willie Warren, Brandon Knight, Greg Monroe, Kevin Love, the list goes on and on. If we get them we get them. If not then Bill Self gets the next best thing that comes off the serendipity path.. AKA Brandon Rush ... T-Taylor .. MckMorris ... etc. And Sweet Bay Ray's BBQ sauce is only superior to Gates when marinating seafood. Period. And KY_Cats_1 is are whoremongoring philandering nancypansting sallyfag who prefers womens softball over basketball - you should see her post on those forums.

JoshSelby 4 years, 4 months ago

I've made my decision. I'm going to Kansas.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 4 months ago

waywardJay: You are setting the bar too low. And please, don't insult Aaron Miles and all of his terrific contributions by comparing him to TT. Miles was a true point guard, he had a feel for the floor, he made his teammates better, he was unselfish, he had his head on straight, he was a terrific passer with great instincts .. all of the things TT isn't. Too many obvious things to list. And, by your own admission, TT can't shoot a lick. I agree. I have yet to see anything to suggest TT makes this team better. Might he improve, sure. Evidence so far suggests not. And dynamitehawk .. if the next best thing is TT, well, that doesn't really make your point.

tstanlick1099: No, I agree. They are completely different players. That wasn't my point. My point is not to get too enamored by a guy just because he is recruit. We don't know if that's going to translate at least in year one (as many automatically have Lamb starting in their projected lineups).

rawkhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

"I've made my decision. I'm going to Kansas"

Right on Josh, Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Dan Harris 4 years, 4 months ago

Dynamite- I think you meant Dominique(sp?) Cheek Anyway I have the same feeling that we are going to get Selby as I had that we were a lock for X last year. I sure hope this year is different and Selby dons the Hawk cap!

dynamitehawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I did. But I was 100% right on KY.

Rock Chalk