Jayhawk Flashback: Mark Mangino's introductory speeches and Texas, 11/13/2004

With Big 12 Football Media Days coming up next week*, I thought we'd try something a little different for this week's Jayhawk Flashback.

* — Shameless plug time. Make sure to check out KUsports.com during the day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for coverage of the Big 12 Media Days, including a live blog, audio clips, podcasts, video and more. No one can say I'm not a company man ...

I went ahead and pulled out Mark Mangino's most famous quotes from his tenure as coach at Kansas.

The first video we'll look at is two of his introductory speeches he made after getting hired at KU in 2001.

The video is below.

Before we go any further, I want to explain the opening seconds of the video, which should once again give us some reference for how far this program has come.

The first part of the video is the attendance for the last home football game of 2001 against Wyoming. The listed attendance was 24,000.

To me, it looks like the listed attendance was off by about 8,000.

To be fair, this was a game moved to the end of the season because of the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Maybe 24,000 tickets were sold for the game originally with most folks not attending.

Still, look at that crowd. Seems like a long time ago, right?

It was only eight years ago. Now, not seeing Memorial Stadium completely full is a bit of a surprise when it happens.

Some other notes:

"From now on, I want to earn that applause from you." Honestly, the guy hasn't changed much at all, has he? It's exactly what you'd expect him to say.

I think everyone that speaks at halftime of a KU basketball game has found that perfect way to end their speech: Just yell out "Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk!"

Isn't that the best way to get a huge ovation at the end no matter what you say before the end?

Wow, that's a young sounding Kevin Romary, isn't it?

Say what you will about the antics of former athletic director Al Bohl, but he makes this bold statement — "What I know, I'm so very, very proud to stand in front of you right now and tell you the best we can have at Kansas is now with us. We have an outstanding football coach." — and can anyone deny now that he was absolutely right?

And now, some links:

• Our own Chuck Woodling predicted that Mangino would succeed at KU.

KU men's basketball coach Roy Williams said he was impressed with Mangino.

Isn't that an interesting picture with Roy standing next to Mario Kinsey? Anyone heard from Kinsey lately?

Mangino's base salary was $128,438, with incentives that could take him near $1 million. He made $141,000 as an assistant at OU.

Mangino was asked about his weight, in case you were wondering.

"I spent so much time in the film room at OU and K-State that I forgot where the weightroom was," Mangino quipped.

Mangino outlined his scheduling plan right away in his first press conference, saying, "I believe in the infant stages of our program we should be playing people we have a chance to compete with early on in nonconference."

A few days earlier, Mangino had withdrawn his name as a candidate for the KU opening. Obviously, he changed his mind a couple days later.

It's interesting to see who else was being considered for the job in the above article. Bill Miller, Bill Callahan and Gary Gibbs (check out this article) should all be familiar names.

Here's some help if you're wondering why Bill Miller and Gary Gibbs are ringing bells in your head.

The final video is another Jayhawk Flashback first: The showing of a KU loss.

This is the infamous "BCS, dollar signs" game between KU and Texas on Nov. 13, 2004, which produced the most famous postgame press conference of Mangino's tenure.

The video of the press conference, with highlights from the game beforehand, is below*.

* — For those not wanting to wait, the press conference begins at about the 3:45 mark.

Here are some quick links from that game.

After sharing his frustration after the game, Mangino said later that he regretted his remarks. He was fined $5,000 by the Big 12.

Chuck Woodling said Mangino's blowup was to be expected. Chuck also goes into some detail about the history between Mangino and side judge Freeman Johns, who threw the controversial flag.

Here's another angle of the pass-interference call.

I didn't remember this, but Vince Young said he and KU linebacker Nick Reid were jawing back and forth all game.

"I got the last word," Young said.

Also, a Jesse Newell thumbs-down to Cedric Benson, who has single-handedly ruined two of my fantasy football teams.

So why do I keep drafting him?

Comments

William James 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow! Amazing job Jesse. All kinds of good stuff here. Mangino is going to have one heck of a book to write when it's all said and done.

10 years, 3 months ago

"I spent so much time in the film room at OU and K-State that I forgot where the weight room was," Mangino quipped.

While this is funny stuff, I hope our coach lasts long enough to write that book, fabio.

Ditto on the great job, Jesse.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 3 months ago

Jesse-I am guilty as charged with Cedric Benson as well. If there was going to be a prototypical back for the NFL I always thought it would be him, fast, big, strong, and shifty. This guy should have been a stud, no clue what happened. Maybe he is a little like Jaque Crawford only at the NFL level. I thought that Benson would end up being the best back out of the year he got drafted.

IBRONNIEB 10 years, 3 months ago

I know it old news, its over and done, But its funny how people see what they want to see. On the video the woman says watch as he pushes off on the d back. She does not bother to mention how he grabs Charles before he uses the swim move. You can actually see the growth of a program in this flashback. Good stuff.

Patrick Leiker 10 years, 3 months ago

One of the articles says that one of the candidates being considered for the head coaching position after TA was Bill Miller, our new linebackers coach. Interesting stuff.

Bill Capps 10 years, 3 months ago

I like the last quote from the article regarding coach's weight:

"It's not what you look like. It's how you work and how you do your job."

This article was written how many years before scholarships to Reesing, Sharp, McAnderson, etc. were given?

RCJKU

Joe Joseph 10 years, 3 months ago

I suppose we can thank Dr. Bohl for one thing...

Joe Joseph 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow. Nick Reed got annihilated a couple of times in this game. Check 1:56 and 3:05.

Also, 4th and 18 (I will never forget that)... Not sure you only rush 3 in that situation with Young dropping back. It looks like KU may have had a spy on Vince, but anyone who knows anything knows that one spy isn't going to take Vince Young down in the open field. I hated on Nick Reed at the time, but that was a poor defensive call on the KU staff.

Gotta love Mangino's comments after the game. Although he may have been a bit generous about 'the entire nation' watching the game...

jacqueshock 10 years, 3 months ago

I was at the Wyoming game. Flew in from TN for Thanksgiving and wanted to go. Paid $10 for two tickets and a had a great seat. Couldn't figure out what was going on with the band not wearing uniforms and then I learned it was a high school band brought in to play (the students being gone and all). And I wasn't used to the cold so I was shivering most of the time.

It's funny that for the Orange Bowl I paid $28 ($24 + $4 handling) from Stub Hub. I was in the upper deck of the corner of the endzone nearer the VA Tech side, but that was OK with me. You see what happens now when it gets to 56 degrees in Florida. I was cold then too! I knew I wasn't going to have to shell out $100 for a ticket because Miami doesn't exactly have a large alumni population for VT and KU. And I knew the general public, despite having teams at #3 and #8, weren't going to be breaking down the gates to see the game in person. So, next time, think of the location and how big the alumni base is before purchasing a ticket as soon as possible. Unless you just want lower bowl seats in the KU section (which were still on Stub Hub for under $100).

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Let me add to the chorus of "bravos" ...

GREAT stuff, Jesse!

Man, watching just how freaking p!ssed off Mangino was ... really, really wants me to get the payback on those burnt orange basterds.

yovoy 10 years, 3 months ago

my first reaction to mangino's response in the press conf was that it was going to get us TONS of mileage.
i believed then as i do now: ourMangino did as much for our program (profile-wise, and recruiting-wise) on that day as he would've had we won that game. that was the end of our season. his remarks were our bowl game. everyone watching sports center for the next 2 or 3 days (football recruits included) saw our head coach, and learned more about him than beating texas or going to a bowl game would've taught them. ku was on everyones tongue at the water cooler, and the coach showed that he was not going to pull punches, and that the was going to stand up for his players. he showed himself as a players coach. the fact that ut had to "pull it off" to beat ku was another thing that was being seen around the country. a 5000 dollar fine was a bargain, and that's why i don't think there was a big deal made about it. if ku had hired an agency to do for us what he did, the bill would've been waaay bigger than 5k.

young beating nick like a drum all day also showed that sometimes heart doesn't beat talent. young is supposed to make people look bad - that's what he did. he made better athletes look worse than he made nick look that day. the difference is, is that he HAD to do it at critical times against, and he didn't have to do that very many times in his college career, so bully for us there. i guess.

good flashback.