Jayhawk Flashback: Colorado, 10/28/06

I noticed that we received one comment on last week’s Jayhawk Flashback YouTube video.

This was from the user jfalbe06:

“next flashback should be the cu game where we pulled reesing redshirt.”

Sounds like a plan to me.

This week’s flashback takes us back three years to the game that perhaps changed the entire complexion of the KU football program: The game when KU’s fans were officially introduced to Todd “Sparky” Reesing.

The highlights are below.

Some thoughts:

From watching this video, we all should take a moment to appreciate just how far the KU offense has developed under offensive coordinator Ed Warinner. The boo-birds were out early on Adam Barmann in this game (:45), and KU fans went bonkers at the 1:42 mark when Reesing completed a 5-yard out (which, really, should never receive a cheer that long).

Not too long ago, KU labored for completed passes and points in general. The Jayhawks, at times, were painful to watch.

That’s not the case any more, and the KU coaching staff deserves credit for turning things around so quickly.

Though Reesing received rave reviews after the game for his performance (and deservedly so), it still was far from perfect. The first interception at the the 1:10 mark is ugly, and his fumble at the CU 12 gave a struggling Buffs offense six free points. He also fumbled another time earlier in the second half, though that muff was covered up by Anthony Collins.

Still, in one half, Reesing had 106 passing yards, 90 rushing yards and three combined touchdowns.

Nice call by Kevin Romary at the 2:30 mark on the quarterback keeper. How did he know?

Reesing’s run at the 3:30 mark is the highlight I’m sure most KU fans remember from this game. It also seemed to open up the imaginations of KU fans: This kid can run and scramble and throw?

Funny thing is, he might have even turned out better than any KU fan could have hoped on that day.

Our own Tom Keegan needed just one game to label Reesing as the starter: “What Reesing did in the second half of Kansas University's season-saving 20-15 victory over Colorado at Memorial Stadium killed any notion of a quarterback controversy. The job is his until someone can steal it from him. Period.”

With the victory, KU improved to 4-0 with its red jerseys.

Aqib Talib never was one that was shy with his words. After intercepting two passes against CU, the sophomore was his normal outgoing self.

“They gave me a lot of balls,” he said of CU. “They gave me a lot of opportunities to make plays today. I got at least eight or nine balls. I feel like, if a team gives me that many opportunities to make plays, I’m going to make plays.”

“That's on their coach,” Talib added. “It's smart to me. If you ask me, that's very smart. Teams should keep doing it.”

Quarterback Kerry Meier didn’t play because of a shoulder injury. Darrell Stuckey also made his first career start at safety.

CU coach Dan Hawkins summed up his team’s performance in four words: “Good defense, no offense.”

Todd looks kind of young there at the end of the video, huh?

Comments

Kyle Rohde 5 years, 2 months ago

Great one to include in Jayhawk Flashback Jesse - I'd love to see one from the Mason era, esp 1995, if possible sometime.

waywardJay 5 years, 2 months ago

I was living in Illinois at the time, had to suffer through watching the last of turner's years and the first of Zook's..... i had never seen the Todd scramble until today....

Breathtaking. I now know why none of the dbacks stayed on their man from the Oklahoma State play..... They saw reesing rumbling and said HE's running !

He cuts right towards the sidelines he's in... probably out of gas. How Lucky are we ???

Thanks Todd. Give us one more year of playing like that and we'll make you immortal around these parts.

d_prowess 5 years, 2 months ago

Awesome! And I loved the call by Romery on the big Reesing run.

Ryan Wood 5 years, 2 months ago

If you look at the 95-yard fumble return by the CU player, he starts to veer to the right at about the 10-yard line with Cornish right on his tail. If I remember right, he said after the game that he saw Cornish closing in on him on the KU video board.

Technology has certainly changed sports.

5 years, 2 months ago

rohdek ~

How about the game at CU from the ’95 season? I know Jesse just covered a CU game above, but that was a monumental game that year. I remember going crazy while watching it on TV.

The last pic above where Talib has his arm around Coach Mangino is priceless. You can tell he is likely talking some serious dukie, especially by the way the Colorado player is glaring at him!

Kyle Rohde 5 years, 2 months ago

txrockchalk - I'd love to see that, I was living in WI and not a KU fan in the least at that time, so I don't have any memories of that time.

d_prowess 5 years, 2 months ago

If we want a game from the Mason era, how about the one where we played (#1?) Nebraska at home and Mason decided to go for two and the win instead of a PAT and the tie. Even though June missed the easy catch (if I remember correctly), everyone seemed to love the call!

sevenyearhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

The Rise of Reesing ...

Well done, Jesse, well done!

rgreene 5 years, 2 months ago

Ah, wish you guys had the highlight of that throw he made to the right sideline after scrambling for about 10 seconds, then flung it back to the other side of the field. That was a crazy play.

Jesse Newell 5 years, 2 months ago

Ryan — I just added a highlight to YouTube. Is this the pass you are talking about?

5 years, 2 months ago

Jesse ~

Any way you can accommodate mine and rohdek's request? That was a watershed game in the '95 season and showed that we were for real that year. I think we were something like 14-point dogs and won 40-24.

Jeff Worthington 5 years, 2 months ago

rgreene, i was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure that pass was to Jeff Foster, and besides his QB scramble it was the play I most remember about this game.

Jesse Newell 5 years, 2 months ago

txrockchalk — I'll look, but I can't guarantee anything. Our archives get kind of sketchy before 1997.

William James 5 years, 2 months ago

I love it Jesse. Your becoming the sparky of the LJW. The beginning of those highlights compared to the Reesing highlights shows why Reesing is such a legend around here. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone when people get upset when Dugan Arnett says our only chance to beat OU is to get Chase Daniel to transfer here.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 5 years, 2 months ago

that was great! i missed that game, was living in Maryland at the time. So cool to see a star rising

Kevin Holt 5 years, 2 months ago

If you ask me (and no one did!), it's a bittersweet memory. If not for pulling the shirt that day to "save" the (6-6) season, he'd be a RS Junior this year and we could be looking at two more years of Reesing. Just saying...

5 years, 2 months ago

Jesse ~

Thanks for checking it out. Completely understand on the archive stuff.

phoggy_style ~

While it would have been nice to have another year with Reesing at the helm, another way to look at it is, how well would he have played in the '07 season had he not obtained valuable starting experience in the last half of the '06 season? Would we have made it to and won the Orange Bowl?

tvf2k 5 years, 2 months ago

What I remember vividly from that '95 Colorado game was Koy Detmer going down with a knee injury (later turned out to be an ACL). When he came back later in the game, he dropped back to pass, planted his right leg, and his right knee buckled/twisted/did a half-Charleston. Koy just dropped the pig as he grabbed his knee. Sickening to watch. But a great team outcome.

And one of the great KU names, Manolito Jones, running back a blocked punt for a score.

cdzmo1972 5 years, 2 months ago

Actually, the staff SHOULD have pulled his redshirt the week before when we lost at Baylor 36-35. We had Baylor down 35-17 with Meier in at QB and our offense was running all over them with the zone read, Meier and Cornish going off. Then when Meier got hurt, they put Barmann in and all the sudden the offense was predictable, they were teeing off on Cornish. Reesing would have added the same dimension and we would have been able to hang onto the ball longer, thereby preventing the Bear comeback and possibly even adding a score.

If he was ready to come in against CU one week later, why not bring him in the week before against Baylor? And yes, I realize it was on the road but its Waco, not Austin or Norman, OK and besides, Todd has never striked me as the kind of kid who gets intimidated by road crowds.

KGphoto 5 years, 2 months ago

I like Romary's call on the Cornish TD. "Kid Canada! Touchdown!"

Great game. Great memories. Thanks Jesse.

tvf2k; Didn't Koy also have a dramatic injury in Phili? I'm sure that was him. He dislocated his elbow, but it looked like he got tazed. He was convulsing and spasming like some evil doctor was toying with his CNS. It was just gross. I swear to god I thought he was going to die right there on the field.

Ryan Shelton 5 years, 2 months ago

Awesome! I had goosebumps watching Reesing's big run! The game I would love to see is the '95 CU game. That game turned the nation's collective head and made them wonder where KU had come from.

bg_duck1 5 years, 2 months ago

to d_prowess in that game you are talking about vs. nebraska we ran some stupid roll out pass that ended up "going" to ashundai smith and got knocked down -- it was a TERRIBLE play call, June had been absolutely torching the huskers all day and there is no way they were going to stop him and the streak could have been over right then....altho nebraska probably would have went down and scored a td and won anyway. the '95 Colorado game was awesome too somebody blocked a punt at the beginning of the game and that's really what got that one going

Lone_salina_kufan 5 years, 2 months ago

Just a kudos to the website. Sometimes you guys take a lot abuse on these boards, but I LOVE this flashback feature. Its probably my favorite thing on the site. Keep up the good work.

Lone_salina_kufan 5 years, 2 months ago

Just a side note, would love to see a "Where are they now?" on Jon Cornish. That guy was great!!!