David Beaty talks about pregame antics, chippiness between KU and OU

The KU football team didn’t need to wait for kickoff for the fireworks to start.

As the captains stood at midfield, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield extended his arm for a handshake. No KU players stepped forward, prompting the quarterback to clap a few times before heading back to the sideline.

Speaking after the game, KU coach David Beaty provided some clarity on the moment.

“I’m proud of our guys for getting to a point (where) we’re not going to take it any more,” Beaty said. "I’ve got to do a better job as their coach, maybe teaching them how to manage that a little bit better.”

Comments

Jeff Coffman 3 weeks, 3 days ago

David Beaty should be suspended for a game. Dr Zenger do your job. We have a primetime game and it starts with 2 children standing on the Jayhawk and the top team in the conference with the Heisman hopeful standing across our team, and our Captains refuse to shake his hand. The embarrassment is on the Jayhawks, I expect a suspension of David Beaty, most embarrassing thing that has happened to the Jayhawk team this year.

Tom Horner 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Today I have feelings I never thought I would have; for the first time in 58 years I am ashamed of the Jayhawks. I don't care what the personal feelings may be, when you are representing the University of Kansas as captain of the football team you do not refuse to shake the hand of an opposing captain before the game.You let your play speak for you. You do not do it with cheap shots. You hit him hard and then congratulate him for the play. That is what CLASS does. I can say that if I was coach those who refused to shake would be running stadium steps until they dropped.

David Kemp 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Classy kids? That Defense hit was truly one of the worst cheap shots I have seen.

David Kemp 3 weeks, 2 days ago

His other comment about missed call and getting it on 2 yard line. We didn’t score from the 2 yard line the first time they gave it to us. Woulda shoulda coulda is the story line every week.

David Kemp 3 weeks, 2 days ago

No you are not a better football team than that. You are a bad football team week in week out. Just admit it and let’s move on. Yeah it is your job to manage the kids. And you couldn’t score from the 2 yard line earlier in the game. This is just a colossal cluster of ineptitude

Lloyd Kinnison 3 weeks, 2 days ago

The football team is a reflection of the coaching staff, nothing but lack of coaching is apparent.

Lynn Stuart 3 weeks, 1 day ago

this is insane, beaty has lost this team completly, I watched this then went and watched some of mangino's post game, wow night and day type this coach giggles about getting his butt handed to him? the players don't respect him, the fans don't respect him, time to move on to a real coach