Perry Ellis best Jayhawk in Sunflower Showdown loss

1 - Perry Ellis: Led KU with 19 points and 11 rebounds and had two steals and a blocked shot.

2 - Andrew Wiggins: Made just 4 of 12 shots, missed all four three-pointers and made just 8 of 15 from the line on his way to a 16-point, five-rebound game. Competed hard, just didn’t finish well at the rim or shoot well anywhere.

3 - Brannen Greene: Came up huge in the comeback from a nine-point deficit in the final 1:53 of regulation and finished with 10 points, five rebounds and three steals in 15 minutes. In overtime he turned his head to see where to throw a pass before he caught one and lost the ball out of bounds. There would not have been an OT if not for him turning a missed shot and a steal into four points in a six-second span.

4 - Tarik Black: Battled hard down low, contributing eight points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes. Tweaked ankle he injured earlier in the season.

5 - Naadir Tharpe: Played poorly defensively for much of the night, but came alive at the other end in the second half and finished with 13 points, 10 assists and three turnovers.

6 - Conner Frankamp: Did better than KU’s other points when defending Will Spradling and totaled six points, two rebounds, one assist and one steal in 15 strong minutes.

7 - Joel Embiid: Limited to 18 minutes by a sore knee and back, he had six points and six boards.

8 - Wayne Selden: Didn’t look as quick as on most nights, missed all three three-pointers and made 1 of 6 shots overall on his way to a two-point, zero-rebound night in 28 minutes.

9 - Landen Lucas: Scored on a nice hook shot and missed a free throw in five minutes.

10 - Frank Mason: Was the Kansas half of a double-technical, one of his three fouls in six minutes. Scoreless, he took one shot, had one assist and one turnover.

SEASON STANDINGS

Joel Embiid 206

Andrew Wiggins 205

Perry Ellis 198

Wayne Selden Jr. 171

Naadir Tharpe 168

Frank Mason 155

Jamari Traylor 125

Tarik Black 111

Brannen Greene 67

Andrew White III 53

Conner Frankamp 47

Landen Lucas 45

Justin Wesley 11

Comments

tommy glenn 7 years ago

How does AW3 have more points than CF? had he even played a league game? He will transfer after this year .BG14 Is gonna be great, just give it time

Sean Doherty 7 years ago

Yes, I cannot believe Bill Self does not want Andrew White with the team next year. Poor decision by Bill Self for a couple reasons. First of all, Bill Self, in effect, is telling all prospective 4-5 year players that they are not welcome on this team, even if you are the hardest working MO-FO on the team. Bill, what kind of message are you sending? You haven't seen Kelly Oubre play a college game and you are already throwing Andrew White to the curb. What I see is that you prefer one and done's? And by one and done I mean one serious headache and one serious fan base loosing interest in players who are here for basketball vacation. KU fans love to see their seniors at senior night. That the guy who works the hardest plays the least is not going to vibe well with KU fans. I don't know what Self's master mind plan is for the next 8 years. This is the time he will remain at KU. But I am very concerned at what his plans are for the rest of his tenure at KU. Don't expect him to stay after the 2022 season when his contract ends. I fear that Bill Self will not try to improve his future teams by playing the exact same PREDICTABLE game planes he has played ever since he got to KU: Throw it to the big men at the corner of the backboard. Thats basically it. Bill Self does not appear to have any intent in recruiting high caliber point guards. With that being said, high caliber point guards have been leading many of the national championship teams over the past 10 years. I'm worried about the future of KU Basketball as long as KU continues to play the same predictable game plans over and over and over again. Other teams scout. KU is easy to scout. It's been the same principles since 2003.

Glen Miller 7 years ago

Where have you read/heard that Bill Self doesn't want Andrew White? This is news to me. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. If White was good enough, he'd play. He obviously hasn't developed like Self had hoped. Sometimes guys just don't work out and this might be one of those instances.

Glen Miller 7 years ago

And also, if you execute the game plan it doesn't matter how well you are scouted. Most teams know what to expect from one another, it's just a matter of who executes and KU is typically the one to execute better. I don't know how long you have been watching this team, but obviously it's hard for you to comprehend that we've won 9 straight Big 12 titles, 1 National Championship and been to 2 Final Four's in his tenure here. How, in Gods creation are you so oblivious to the fact that this man can coach?? We normally have a good mixture of OAD's and 4-5 year players. We had a lot of guys leave and we are having to kind of reload here. Look at Lucas, Mason, Frankamp, Ellis, Traylor, Greene and guys like that. These guys will be here 4 years and we will fill in top talent around them. Last I checked you weren't a college coach, so let HCBS do his job and stop being a tool.

Jeremy Wilhelm 7 years ago

He's a troll man - don't give him any food.

Brian Mellor 7 years ago

Dunno, he might just be a fool. Regardless, the message probably holds true.

Sean Doherty 7 years ago

On top of that Bill Self will not recruit a superior Point Guard and will not change the teams winning game plan. However he is willing to join the one and done fad and embrace it like Calipari does. Problem is, when you take great young athletes who want to learn, want to play, and want to stay for years; and just dismiss them as you'd dismiss lawn clippings. Bill Self needs to think about what he is doing here at KU. People don't like Coach Cal for a reason. Bill Self should not follow that track. KU can get any big name coach in the country they want. Lets hope Self will keep with traditions while at the same time learns to win games. I cannot believe I am saying this, because I love Coach Self and what he has done with this program. However, unless he can throw some curve balls to what opponents expect EVERY YEAR, such as a top tier point guard, and continue to support multi-year players who work as hard as AW the third, and rely not so much on one and dones as he has this year, then I unfortunately do not expect KU to make it past the Final Four between now and 2022. If they even make it to another FF. Like the announcers said tonight against KSU, Bill self has been playing the exact same game play since he joined the staff in 2003. That is 11 years of opponents watching tape and knowing exactly what KU is going to do. No wonder we have the best compilation of players almost every year yet can't get the big time W we all want. Just 2008. The definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome each time. I'm not saying this is getting insane, but if Bill Self doesn't consider a flowing fundamental change with the way he displays his teams, then yes, it would be insane to wonder why we can't finish the big dance with the same game plan that he has used over, and over, and over, and over, ..... again.

Mark Lindrud 7 years ago

You are so right about playing the same style the 11 years Self has been here. It is amazing we have won any games with the lack of recruiting that we have done every year and getting a top ten class is a miracle every year. The Final fours we went to were by a stroke of luck and the 9 straight Big 12 titles should be given back because we don't deserve them. I am certain this year's Big 12 Title should be given to someone else who knows how to recruit and coach better than us like TCU.

Sean Doherty 7 years ago

Btw, I'm not sure how much of this I believe myself. A wild theory is all...

Greg Lux 7 years ago

I don't say this often but are you sure you don't want to be over on the MU boards? I have never read so much BS in a long time. And I also want to know where you get the info "Bill Self does not want Andrew White with the team next year". If this is just your opinion then state it as such. As in "My opinion is Bill Self does not want Andrew White with the team next year". Don't start something unless you have all the facts.

John Randall 7 years ago

Some folks are handicapped by considering facts. Sean must be one of them.

Clarence Haynes 7 years ago

Whatever Jamari did had an impact on this game. If he had played, I doubt it if Ellis would've fouled out. If he had played, Self could've used the more physical combo of Black and Taylor as a counter to K-State. Too bad. Could've should've would've. Hopefully, Jamari learned a lesson about the consequences of his actions!

Ryan Michael 7 years ago

How are you going to rate Tharpe over Frankamp in the ratings Keegan? Tharpe gave up at least a dozen layups and wide open 3's. You rate him up for 13 points, but his defense probably cost us 30+ in layups and wide open 3's. Frankamp had a much better game than Tharpe and actually put work in on the defensive end.

Jim Roth 7 years ago

38 minutes vs 15 minutes. I agree with your observations, but they were only one spot different in the ratings, which really isn't different. Tharpe did hit some key shots, and his overall body of work in his extensive time on the floor is probably why he was giving the slightly higher rating.

Ryan Michael 7 years ago

Double Frankamps minutes and he was more efficient with far better defense... I don't think "minutes played" should be a qualifier for how well someone actually played.

Greg Lux 7 years ago

I also agree Frankamp has come a long way this year without hardly any playing time. His defensive efforts last night were great. He got caught out of position a couple of times but who wouldn't with so little playing time in real games. This young man along with Greene are going to be great players for KU this year and the next few years. Great effort men keep it up.

Katie Fender 7 years ago

Sean, Relax. We've won a Championship under Self, and we just went to the Championship game in 2011-12. A game ironically in which we lost to a group of NBA Freshmen. All hope is not lost.

Joe Joseph 7 years ago

I'm not as bummed about KU losing to K-State as I am bummed that Kansas could have placed a major clamp on the conference race. I don't see any team going undefeated the rest of the way, but I can easily see Kansas dropping two more. Tough road games at OSU and WVU and home games against UT (which I'm less worried about) and OU (which is capable if it gets hot).

The thing I find most interesting about the production from last night, is that Perry was the leading scorer and KU still lost. I was convinced that production from Perry was key and that KU would have a difficult time losing if Perry played well.

Mark Lindrud 7 years ago

Also, with Joel being ineffective and Jamari being out our front line was depleted. Our strength is utilizing our bench to wear down teams. I am hoping that Joel is fine by Saturday and Jamari learned his lesson. The other concern is if Tarik's ankle is getting better or not because it looked like he may have reinjured it.

Joe Joseph 7 years ago

I'm guessing Joel dresses Saturday, but only plays if needed. Probably the same case for next Tuesday at Texas-Tech. If KU can get by without him, I say rest him.

Mark Lindrud 7 years ago

It will be interesting to see if Joel plays, but if he does I can see his minutes being limited for now. At least Jamari will be back and after having to sit out I wouldn't be surprised if he plays with passion and fire. Lucas is starting to make small contributions so right now we can make due while Joel rests this next Saturday. The other X factor is if Tarik's ankle is really nagging him. We need to rest some of our guys so that we can make a run down the road.

Ryan Zimmerman 7 years ago

This doesn't sound like something your 2nd best player of the game should do: "Made just 4 of 12 shots, missed all four three-pointers and made just 8 of 15 from the line on his way to a 16-point, five-rebound game."

Tony Bandle 7 years ago

ITEMS THAT ARE AS PLAIN AS THE NOSES ON OUR FACES:

1] Jo Jo needs AT LEAST another year of college ball.

2] Wayne has zero chance of making an NBA impact at this point in his development.

3] Wiggins will be gone, not because he should but because he will be forced to.

4] Next year may actually be our year - Seniors :Tharpe / Juniors : Ellis, Traylor / Uber-experienced Sophs: Frankamp, Greene, Embiid, Mason, Selden, Lucas / Added new guys ; Oubre, Alexander, Mikelson....OOHHH DOCTOR, LOOK OUT!!!

5] Bill Self can coach a little bit. :)

6] As much as it hurt last night, 48 out of 52 is still pretty damn amazing.

Mark Lindrud 7 years ago

I have been thinking the same thing. This year could be a final four team, but next year with Joel because he needs another year, we can be devastating for opponents to stop. I would say we would be a lock to be preseason #1, not that it matters, but either way this team is good and the future is looking bright.

Greg Lux 7 years ago

KSU didn't win we lost this game at the freethrow line. One of our best freethrow shooters goes 8 for 15. If he goes 9 for 15 we win. Pretty simple we just didn't bring our A game and they did. We are still in great shape to win the conference so everyone keep smiling and remember we saw a lot of two subs last night and I think given that we are going to see a lot more of them in games down the road.

Len Shaffer 7 years ago

KU actually had a much better FT percentage than KSU did, so you could just as easily argue that KSU could have won in regulation with better FT shooting.

Len Shaffer 7 years ago

I usually agree with Keegan's ratings, but I thought there were some glaring mistakes this time.

I can't understand Wiggins being ranked second. He didn't have a particularly good game (as is partly evidenced by Self screaming "Do something!" at him), other than the great play to force the game to OT. I would have ranked him below Frankamp.

I also would have switched Lucas and Selden; even though Lucas only played a few minutes, he had more of an impact on the game than Selden did.

Clarence Haynes 7 years ago

Wiggins could be number one every game when he figures out that he needs a "flight plan" when he drives to the basket. As Fraschilla has said on a number of occasions during his tv commentary, Wigs at times, seems to be driving aimlessly toward the basket. While he draws the fouls, he could enhance his scoring if he were to take a harder look at the basket as and when he takes off.

Glen Miller 7 years ago

Wiggins rating had more to do with his defense and other aspects of his game outside of his shooting. Scoring is not the only part of the game and actually might be the weakest part of Wiggin's game from what I have seen. The guy is an excellent defender and has a nose for the ball when it comes to rebounding.

On another note: I know this will not happen, because everyone will be pushing him out the door... but if Wiggins and Embiid stayed another year, I think it would benefit both of them tremendously. Look, they both have the talent to go pro. However, Embiid needs to bulk up and get tougher against big bodied players. Wiggins could use some work on his ball handling skills and needs to learn not to float on the perimeter so much. He reminds me so much of Ben Mc, but a million times better on defense.

Look, Wiggins is gone and Embiid could follow but imagine the possabilities....

Embiid / Mickelson / Lucas Ellis / Alexander / Mari Wiggins / Oubre Selden / Greene Tharpe / Frankamp / Mason

My starting 5:

Embiid Ellis Wiggins Oubre Tharpe

Selden (6th man)

Bigs rotation: Traylor, Alexander, Lucas Guards: Mason, Greene, Frankamp

That's 12 deep and absolutely a title favorite!

Margaret Schadler 7 years ago

Wow! "Wait 'til next year!" already? These guys can and do learn. Too bad all those seniors had to graduate last year. And the year before.