Wiggins top Jayhawk in loss at Colorado
1. Andrew Wiggins: First-half foul trouble limited him to eight first-half minutes, but he made up for lost time by scoring 17 of his game-high 22 points in the second half. Played as aggressively as he has in a Kansas uniform using his quick first step, long strides and long reach on drives to the hoop. Helped KU back from a nine-point second half deficit.
2. Joel Embiid: Had a dominant first-half stretch and finished the half with all of his 10 points and wowed the crowd with left-handed hooks and fancy footwork. Didn’t do much in the second half, when he committed four of his five fouls and baited into some of them. First half showed what tremendous potential he has and the final half showed how far he has to go to reach that potential.
3. Perry Ellis: Used quickness advantage to drive left side of the lane for a game-tying bucket with four seconds left. Also brought the team within two points with a tip-in with 25 seconds remaining. Had trouble stopping people from shooting over him and struggled through a tough first half. Had eight of his 10 points and five of his eight rebounds in the second half.
4. Frank Mason: Had a rough first half against the Colorado zone, but came on late, scoring 10 of his 11 points after halftime. Continues to misfire from long range (1 of 5), but always brings aggressive style and keeps game moving at fast pace. Made just 4 of 7 free throws and finished with four assists and two turnovers in his second start of the season.
5. Naadir Tharpe: Hit two three-pointers, didn’t turn it over and scored eight points with two assists.
6. Jamari Traylor: Three blocked shots, including one that he took control of and threw an outlet pass before falling out of bounds. Added two points and six rebounds in 13 active minutes.
7. Wayne Selden: Came out strong, scoring five points in the opening minutes and finishing first half with seven points, but then disappeared. In the second half, he played eight scoreless minutes without an assist and turned it over once.
8. Landen Lucas: Lent three aggressive minutes and produced two points and a rebound.
9. Andrew White: Limited to four minutes, he took one shot, a three-pointer from the left corner, and missed it.
10.Brannen Greene: Fired a three-pointer when keeping the ball moving was the right call and it earned him a seat on the bench for the rest of the game.
11. Conner Frankamp: Still hasn’t found his shot. He missed all three three-pointers he took, committed a fourl and had a turnover in four minutes.
12. Tarik Black: Won’t play much unless he can find a way to defend without triggering a whistle. Started the game and finished with three minutes. The only other number on the box score next to his name was another three, representing his foul total.
SEASON STANDINGS Joel Embiid 76
Andrew Wiggins 76
Perry Ellis 75
Frank Mason 63
Wayne Selden Jr. 59
Andrew White III 43
Jamari Traylor 34
Tarik Black 33
Conner Frankamp 19
Landen Lucas 17
Brannen Greene 13