Ben Heeney top Jayhawk in loss to Kansas State
1. Ben Heeney: Kansas State’s Collin Klein ranks as one of the toughest quarterbacks in college football to bring down. Heeney accomplished it at the 1 and the Wildcats didn’t have time to run another play. It was one of 11 solo tackles for the middle linebacker, who was in on 14 tackles overall and had two tackles for a loss.
2. James Sims: Carried it 28 times for 115 yards and a touchdown, averaging 4.1 yards a carry on a day where holes weren’t easy to come by.
3. Tony Pierson: Left in the first half and didn’t return and so much of the KU offense went with him. His speed coming out of the backfield for receptions gives the defense so much about which to worry. He had six receptions for 63 yards and a 19-yard touchdown. Carried the ball just once and gained 10 yards.
4. Tunde Bakare: Tackled John Hubert in the end zone for two points and a two-yard loss.
5. Andrew Turzilli: Big target knows how to get open. Had five catches for 67 yards.
6. Toben Opurum: Batted a pass to the ground on the game’s first play from scrimmage and had a 12-yard reception for a first down on a fake field goal, his first reception since his freshman season, when he led the team in rushing.
7. Duane Zlatnik: Blew open some holes for the running backs.
8. Taylor Cox: Plays the game with a lot of passion and always runs hard. Averaged 4.3 yards on 10 rushes.
9. Josh Ford: Tackled Tyler Lockett on his first two returns when it looked as if the dangerous return man had a chance to pop one both times.
10. Kale Pick: Ran the wildcat capably and caught two passes for 26 yards, including one for 14 on third-and-10.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Tony Pierson (36 points)
2. Toben Opurum (21 points)
T3. Bradley McDougald (19 points)
T3. Taylor Cox (19 points)
T3. Duane Zlatnik (19 points)
T3. James Sims (19 points)
7. Greg Brown (18 points)
8. Ben Heeney (17 points)
T9. Trevor Marrongelli (12 points)
T9. Kale Pick (12 points)
11. Josh Williams (11 points)
T12. Tanner Hawkinson (10 points)
T12. Tunde Bakare (10 points)
T14. Tyler Patmon (9 points)
T14. Andrew Turzilli (9 points)
T16. Christian Matthews (6 points)
T16. John Williams (6 points)
18. Anthony McDonald (5 points)
T19. Ben Goodman (4 points)
T19. Jordan Tavai (4 points)
T19. Josh Ford (4 points)
22. Jimmay Mundine (2 points)
T23. Chris Omigie (1 point)
T23. Schyler Miles (1 point)
T23. Kevin Young (1 point)