1. Travis Releford: Career highs in points (16) and rebounds (11, five offensive) and played a huge part in limiting Rodney McGruder in the first half to six points and one rebound.
2. Thomas Robinson: Pushed and shoved all night, Robinson didn’t let that derail him from contributing 15 points and 14 rebounds. Played well with four fouls.
3. Conner Teahan: Hit back-to-back threes that deflated K-State and made the Wildcats look mighty tired.
4. Jeff Withey: After one of his six blocked shots, Withey tipped the ball to himself and threw a bomb so on the money to Tyshawn Taylor for an uncontested flush that it could have made Dayne Crist proud.
5. Tyshawn Taylor: What was that Bill Self said about his senior point guard? He does some things you can’t coach. For example, the drive at the end of the first half for a bucket when everyone in the building knew he was trying to get to the hoop. What else was that Self said? He does some things that make you wonder if he’s ever been coached. Such as late in the first half when he threw two long passes out of bounds, passes that Terrell Owens in his prime couldn’t have dreamed of catching. Those were two of Taylor’s eight turnovers. He also played standout defense and scored 13 points.
“Tyshawn got the ball to the paint basically every time he wanted to get into the paint,” Kansas State coach Frank Martin said.
6. Elijah Johnson: Couldn’t get his shots to drop (1 for 7), but he did have eight rebounds, five assists and three steals. For those who taped the game, try to find one of Johnson’s seven defensive rebounds and watch it in slow motion. Stop it at the peak of his jump. Why wasn’t this guy an Olympic high jumper?
7. Kevin Young: Scored a bucket on a bank after cutting on the baseline and receiving a nice pass from Taylor. Also made all four tree throw attempts. Didn’t defend well enough to play more than 10 minutes.
8. Naadir Tharpe: Played five minutes and had an assist but he took an ill-advised shot and went 0 for 2 from the field.
9. Justin Wesley: Two turnovers and one rebound in nine scoreless minutes.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Thomas Robinson (127 points)
2. Tyshawn Taylor (112 points)
T3. Elijah Johnson (93 points)
T3. Jeff Withey (93 points)
5. Travis Releford (91 points)
6. Conner Teahan (82 points)
7. Kevin Young (60 points)
8. Justin Wesley (56 points)
9. Naadir Tharpe (35 points)
10. Merv Lindsay (7 points)