Tyshawn Taylor, Jeff Withey spark KU victory over ISU
1. Tyshawn Taylor: There are guys who do a more consistent job of making sound plays once they get to the paint, but there isn’t a guard in the country who does a better job of getting to the paint than Tyshawn Taylor. When all else failed, Taylor took it upon himself to carry the team’s scoring burden all the way to turning a 12-point deficit into a nine-point victory. Had 28 points and six assists and erased his four turnovers with four steals.
2. Jeff Withey: Played a great second half and finished with 13 points, 11 rebounds and seven blocks for the third double-double of his career.
3. Thomas Robinson: He played well with Iowa State sending 40 percent of its defense at him constantly and finished with 11 points and 14 rebounds in 32 minutes. Kansas went on its game-winning run with Robinson on the bench, and he showed his maturity by having the widest grin in the building when his teammates played so well as he occupied a rare seat on the bench.
4. Elijah Johnson: Broke from a long-distance shooting slump by making half his six first-half, three-point attempts and finished with 12 points, five assists and two steals.
5. Travis Releford: Had seven points, seven rebounds, three assists and a steal. Releford’s strong defense and stamina kept him on the floor for 36 minutes.
6. Kevin Young: Active transfer from Loyola Marymount took an ill-advised three-pointer in the second half but otherwise played well, totaling seven points, three rebounds, an assist and a steal in 16 minutes.
7. Conner Teahan: Misfired on all four three-pointers in 14 minutes.
8. Naadir Tharpe: Played two minutes.
9. Justin Wesley: Only got called for one foul in three minutes and grabbed an offensive rebound.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Thomas Robinson (154 points)
2. Tyshawn Taylor (137 points)
3. Travis Releford (116 points)
4. Jeff Withey (113 points)
5. Elijah Johnson (112 points)
6. Conner Teahan (91 points)
7. Kevin Young (76 points)
8. Justin Wesley (67 points)
9. Naadir Tharpe (45 points)
10. Merv Lindsay (8 points)