Tyshawn Taylor dominates OT, tops ratings

1. Tyshawn Taylor: In the five-minute overtime alone, Taylor scored on a three-pointer, a sweet one-hander, a two-handed jam off a back-door cut and a pair of free throws with 8.3 seconds left. For the math-challenged, that’s nine points. Thankfully, the absurd questions about whether the ball should be in his hands with the game hanging in the balance can go away forever. Taylor had one turnover in 44 minutes, scored 24 points and had five assists and four rebounds.

2. Thomas Robinson: His blocked shot sent the game into overtime and he scored 18 of his 28 points after the first half and led the team with 12 rebounds.

3. Elijah Johnson: Hit a pair of three-pointers in 65 seconds to cut the deficit from 19 to 13, starting the comeback. He made several key, pinpoint passes after that. Finished the day with eight points and eight assists without a turnover, which meant KU’s starting backcourt combined for 13 assists and one turnover in 45 minutes.
4. Conner Teahan: Took four three-point shots and made four three-point shots for 12 gigantic points.

5. Kevin Young: Hustled his way to eight rebounds, four blocked shots, one vicious dunk and five points in 28 minutes.

6. Travis Releford: On a day he couldn’t shoot straight (1 for 7) he came up with a huge steal and played a big part in causing another turnover, both keeping the comeback rolling.

7. Jeff Withey: Sprained his ankle early in the game, picked up two quick fouls, and wasn’t effective against Missouri’s four-guard lineup. All those factors added up to two points in 10 minutes.

8. Justin Wesley: Made just 1 of 4 free throws and snagged an offensive rebound in six minutes.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Thomas Robinson (256 points)
2. Tyshawn Taylor (241 points)
3. Jeff Withey (215 points)
4. Travis Releford (195 points)
5. Elijah Johnson (194 points)
6. Conner Teahan (152 points)
7. Kevin Young (128 points)
8. Justin Wesley (99 points)
9. Naadir Tharpe (72 points)
10. Merv Lindsay (11 points)
11. Jordan Juenemann (3 points)

;

Comments

Brian Stoops 2 years, 5 months ago

Kevin Young did not hustle his way to one vicious dunk and 5 points in 28 "points"

Thankfully, he did hustle in 28 minutes

David Leathers 2 years, 5 months ago

Kevin young was a Beast out there today. I love the energy that he's been bringing off of the bench. All around team effort today. Great win. ROCK Chalk!

stinkybulldog 2 years, 5 months ago

I thought Kevin Young had two vicious dunks?

Brian Friess 2 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know the names of the KU recruits watching the game at AFH today??

Joel Thomas 2 years, 5 months ago

Best came since the NC. Even better comeback. KY had a great game. I'm happy he and Wesley get off the hook for the FT issues. Clutch FTs by TR. Crazy plays by TT, ones for a half a second you hate him for it, but one of his best games. Good for him this turnabout in reputation. Johnson's makes now almost seem lucky, but great assists at the end. Releford missed some he normally makes but you can hardly ever find fault with his shot selection. Some key defensive plays. Withey tough luck, but difficult match-up for him. Too fast, the game. Teahen... just when you thought he'd never make another shot. Best night so far for him to do so. Maybe it will be like shooters of the past who did so well only to have an off game in an unfamiliar environment in the NCAAs; except vice versa, of course. Good to give Self get this too. He is often saddled with memories of disappointments, reminders of conference championships, etc strong, convincing, true... maybe his luck will turn this year. Hopefully there is a good match with the recruits in the house. Cool to see all the alumni, etc.

lawrence_is_my_middle_name 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess it was close between the two players but how is TRob not on the top here? When he wasn't in the game, Missouri killed us. When he played, we clearly had the upper hand. Taylor was nothing today without his complementary big man, who by the way tied the game on an old-fashioned three-point play to send it into OT. That was so clutch, this game ball should go to TROB!

RockyMountainHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Tyshawn was amazing, but the last two plays by T-Rob (offense and defense) will be in montages and books for the next century or so. I think he's the greatest big we've had in a long time, and he deserves this one.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

How about 44 of 45 minutes? When TRob played, he always played with TT, who was in control the entire game. One TO against mizzoo is crazy, and he fouled out Flip.

Really though, it is a matter of splitting hairs. They are the leaders of the team, and as they say, theyre all sticking together.

RockyMountainHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Way to go, Kevin. I was worried that he wouldn't be ready to play on such a big stage, this being his first year and all. Love this kid.

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Marvelous inbound to TT for that backdoor cut in overtime! Fortunate to face a new league coach who might not have predicted or prepared for that Bill Self staple.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 5 months ago

Is Conner Teahan the only Jayhawk ever to have 5 Championship rings?

Adam Evans 2 years, 5 months ago

Him too lol. If I remember correctly, kleinman was the first in a major conference to do it. Which means we have the only 3 players out of a major conference to ever have 5 lol.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't think you get a ring for a redshirt season. Do you?

Pam McCormick 2 years, 5 months ago

yes you get a ring when you redshirt

Adam Evans 2 years, 5 months ago

No. I believe that red-headed walkon (Matt kleinman I believe his name was) had 5. He was a part of the first 5 of the 8 I believe.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

I believe Big Red was at the game Saturday behind the bench. Really can't miss him.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

Anybody else here Jay Bilas on Gameday closeout meeting, say that the Block TRob had at the game was a blatant foul and that is was otrocious that it wasn't called.

He must not have watched the phantom calls in the first half.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 5 months ago

I said this on the other thread, but there's just no way a ref is going to call that foul against a star big man, at home, in a tie game at the buzzer, when he blocks the ball that decisively -- body contact but no arm. I've never seen that happen.

Not only did Bilas complain about that one, but Gottlieb said the call that put TT on the line at the end was a "phantom foul." I don't see how he could say that, given that CBS never showed an angle that would have proven it one way or the other.

And yes, as you said, what doesn't show up in the highlight reel are the terrible calls against T-Rob and Withey in the first half, which had a huge impact on the game.

gthejayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Jhawkrulz, I heard him say that and I was thinking of not only that, but the charge called against T-Rob and Taylor in the game at Fizzou.

I was so peeved at the 3 horrible calls in the first half that put us in the situation to be down by 12 at the break. Both calls on T-Rob were without a doubt, absolutely the wrong call. And the block shot by Withey that they called a foul was, at the least, suspect,

rwhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I thought Young deserved #3. He played with so much energy and his hustle plays and defense kept them afloat when they were really struggling.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Even though 4-4 from 3 is crazy exceptional, I'd tend to agree.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

I was thinking the same thing, rwhawk. As well as EJ and CT played, KY definitely deserved to be third with the tremendous game he had.

theotherphogg 2 years, 5 months ago

Everyone still paying attention? TT scores 9 pts in OT and plays an incredible game. Tyshawn MVP !!!!

Scott Smetana 2 years, 5 months ago

At the end of the ratings should be CBS. Here in Colorado, I missed the first 5 minutes of the game because they had to show the end of the Arizona/UCLA game. Then they repeatedly showed the game from the camera above the scoreboard that makes you feel dizzy. I enjoy that view 1-2 times a game. They were showing it every 3 or 4 possessions. Then they had no post game interviews. And Gumble??? They are so clueless.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I think the prior game running long, with UCLA, was a problem nationally. I agree, it sucks missing parts of games. Nothing new though with CBS. They've done cutaways for years. But each network (ESPN, Etc.) does the same on the late running previous games. Lately, ESPN has compensated with later games scheduled to start a little later. I agree, it's aggravating and frustrating.

As for the "end of court long shots", those are absolutely absurd and make no sense. If they are going to do that, they might as well put the cameras at floor level. There's very little difference. Thought I was the only one it made feel dizzy. Glad it's not just me.

With the ineptness exhibited by Gumble and some of his cohorts, I really don't value their post game interviews. This board's post game interviews suffice.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

Let's give thanks for one thing from CBS, though: thank God we got Clark Kellogg instead of Bob Knight!!! It's such a breath of fresh air to hear someone who knows the game but doesn't act like he's superior to you. And it's so nice to not hear one cliche after another and stupid comments that make it clear no preparation has been done.

benshawks08 2 years, 5 months ago

I can top that. Here in texas they cut away after Taylor made the layup to put us up one in overtime. There was a short stoppage to check the clock so they went to commercial. Two of them! when they came back Taylor was at the line down one and 8 seconds left! So I missed twenty of the last twenty one seconds of an overtime game plus a go ahead basket by Missouri. I was yelling at the tv "what are you doing!?" Just unacceptable by CBS or whoever it was that made that happen. Could it have been Direct TV? I don't know but I was pissed.

actorman 2 years, 5 months ago

Unbelievable!!! You have my sympathy, benshawks. Amazing how anybody can be stupid enough to do something like that.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 5 months ago

Keegan----I get it. Tyshawn should have the ball in his hands when the game hangs in the balance. Kind of been saying that for a while. HCBS knows that more than anyone. That's why he is 2012 COY. Rock Chalk!

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

KU needed every positive in this game, by every player that played. Without any of them, and add one more second, and KU loses on that final shot by MU. Whether it was one rebound by Wesley, any one of his 4 blocks by Young, or just one of anyone's made freethrows.

The bench came through on a number of plays today. And they scored points.

Obviously, KU's 3 pointers falling played a big part. Who would have predicted they would make 9 of 19. Teahan finally finding "the touch" was gratifying. All those made 3's had to have helped TRob find space to maneuver down low.

Young's play today is probably going to effect his minutes next year. There's no way HCBS forgets this performance when tight games occur next year.

You have to believe that the schedule KU has played this year, against all those top ranked teams, helped them overcome the 19 point deficit today. They never gave up.

I admit when KU was down 19 in the second half that I was ready to throw in the towel. But this team has surpassed everyone's expectations this season, and their play in the last 15 or so minutes today, and because it was (most likely) the final Border War, will make today's comeback game one that KU fans will remember forever. Doubt MU fans will forget either.

I may not have been at the game today, but you wouldn't know it. I yelled so loud and so often that I'm hoarse.

Today's game would be well worth putting on DVD to sell to the Jayhawk Nation. (Reason being, the late runnung UCLA - Arizona game forced CBS to cut off the first 5 minutes.)

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

"Thankfully, the absurd questions about whether the ball should be in his hands with the game hanging in the balance can go away forever."

Sadly this is the way so many KU fans' minds work. They only live in the now. The level of hyperbole used to describe various aspects of this game was pretty staggering. And then there's this. I love TT. Maybe this quote is more in response to The Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy saying that Taylor shouldn't even be in any game late in the contest due to his poor free throw shooting late in games, but two things to consider: First, this is one clutch performance. One. It doesn't erase the Duke game, or the other MU game, or some of the other games where we won but he struggled down the stretch. Don't get me wrong, if I had to pick a game for him to show up and deliver, it would be this one. And I definitely want him in the game at the end. But even Self took away a lot of the PG responsibilities from him. It was EJ who had the ball in his hands and was responsible for delivering the pass to Taylor on the back-door play out of the time-out with KU trailing late in the overtime period. Just as it was EJ entrusted to throw the ball into Thomas Robinson on a beautiful post feed with KU trailing by 3 late in regulation, a play in which Robinson was fouled and hit the free throw to tie it at 75. Both were set plays in which Self called on EJ to initiate the offense. The second thing to consider is this - how would we all feel if Tyshawn hadn't gotten that foul called on Phil Pressey at the end of the game? It sure didn't seem like much contact, and it reminded me of Sherron late in the NC game against Memphis taking an ill-advised shot after driving into a sea of defenders and getting it rejected. No one else was even down there for a rebound or other offensive option. Without seeing any other looks/angles it is hard to say if it was a foul or not, but had there been no call we'd all be singing a different tune right now.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying all this, and trust me I'm not taking away from anything Tyshawn did today. I just thought the quote was a bit of a reach. I mean, "absurd questions"? I thought the questions were perfectly legitimate given the track record. Props to Tyshawn, he got it done in the biggest game of the season. Hopefully he has a few more clutch performances late in games that make the shortcomings earlier in the year seem like distant memories.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't mind your comment or points on who should get the ball with the clock running out. However, very pompous to say, "Sadly, this is the way so many KU fans' minds work." Who declared you such a genious?

Kye Clark 2 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't take a genius (btw, notice the irony of trying to insult someone's intelligence by misspelling the word "genious"?) to read the comments on the message boards. Many others have commented on this phenomenon, KU fans short-term memory perhaps elevating everything that is happening right in front of them to a loftier status than it deserves. For example, many fans have been declaring Jeff Withey better than Cole Aldrich. Why? Because of 5 or 6 good games? It's because Cole's contributions are long forgotten; because they didn't happen 5 minutes ago. This is just one example. Keegan's quote illustrated another - that with one clutch performance any questions as to whether Tyshawn should have the ball in his hands at the end of the game are characterized as "absurd," despite evidence in multiple games this season that he has not been clutch.

Hank Cross 2 years, 5 months ago

All fans tend to live in the present. I remember after the Davidson game some here were saying that KU wouldn't win 20 games and would miss the tourney. A single game can't reveal the truth about a player or a team. But, I'd say that TT's conference play is going a ways to erase some earlier negatives.

ancient_hawk 2 years, 5 months ago

EJ had the ball in his hands on the TT back-cut, because that's the way Self drew it up. The play was set up to look like the start of our standard weave/hand-off/pick ala Collins to Chalmers '08, with MU expecting Taylor to curl and look for an opportunity to drive the lane. Instead Self double-crossed them with the quick back-cut. It wouldn't have fooled MU if it were TT handing off to EJ.

benshawks08 2 years, 5 months ago

If you listen to the post game with Bill Self he said that Taylor did exactly what he told him to do on that last drive. He said, "if they make it, which they won't, Travis take the ball out and everybody else just run, go flat, and Tyshawn go make a play." I agree that there is a lot more sharing of the PG duties between EJ and TT these days and I think that is a good thing both for EJ's confidence and Tyshawn's legs. But in the end the final play call by Bill Self was "Tyshawn go make a play." Right or wrong Self is going to ride Taylor as far as he can take us.

I know from reading your posts that you already know this, but hey it worked this time. So if you are going to criticize when things go bad you should equally give praise when things go right. Also how can you blame people for being overly excited about 9 points in overtime and one turnover for the game in the biggest game of the season so far (maybe of the whole season depending on the post season)?

Sports are rarely about viewing the entire body of work but instead focus on the now. Look at UConn last year, the NY Giants, and teams like VCU. For them the whole body of work didn't matter. All that mattered was how well they were playing right now. And right now Tyshawn is on cloud nine (maybe even 10 after that game). Give the boy some credit.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 5 months ago

Just read over ingame comments.
Please never read or respect these 3 posters again. I hate clueless, fair-weathered fans.

Halftime comments:

HawkinHays, Multiple Posts. "This is what's called 'being exposed.' No D, no rebounds, no heart" tweek. Multiple Posts. "We just lost all our recruits. This is all on Self" President Obama - multiple posts

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Now the debates begin:

Who is the National Coach of the Year? After those late game baseline cuts by KU, sent in by HCBS, and with the resultant win over MU and another Big 12 championship under his belt, you have to give Self the nod for Big 12 COY (over Haith).

Who is the National POY? TRob held up his end today. Will the sports writers agree? The next two games should tell the tale of the tape.

How far will MU drop in the polls, having dropped their last 2 games?

Where will KU be ranked in next weeks poll? Will they be third? or stay at #4?

fansincewilt 2 years, 5 months ago

When is the last time a team with 5 losses was ranked #3, yet that is what this team deserves?

Bob Forer 2 years, 5 months ago

It's difficult to single out one player as having contributed the most to the victory. Fact of the matter is this victory was truly a team effort. TT and TRrob were insane, but without every other Hawk playing as well as they did, we lose.

RockCaCO3 2 years, 5 months ago

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch the game, but from reading about it I think your right. Keegan should have given this one to the team.

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

Quote: "Mr. W - I know I will be curious how he responds after this game. We know what the last game with MU set up for Jeff. Maybe CS needs to get out a broom for Jeff to clean off all those steps in AFH... We haven't heard the last of Mr. W. It is obvious that MU is a tough match up for Jeff's game"

From your post it sounds like you aren't aware that Jeff sprained his ankle early in the game, and that's the reason he didn't play.

rwhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I said something before the K-State game, when people were saying it was a trap game, that KSU was not the trap. I thought then that potentially a healthy A&M before MU and at OSU after beating MU would be our trap games.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 5 months ago

Will mizzoo lose 3 in a row? They have ISU next, which will be a battle for 3rd.