Defensive players absent from Keegans for second straight week

1. Darrian Miller: Slippery back is so difficult to bring down. He rushed for two touchdowns and averaged 4.8 yards on 11 carries. Doesn’t need much of an opening to make things happen.

2. Tim Biere: Has a knack for getting open, which gives the quarterback a nice dump-off option.

3. Jordan Webb: Missed an open receiver now and then but delivered several bullets on the money and still hasn’t thrown an interception.

4. Jeff Spikes: Did a nice job of protecting Webb’s blind side.

5. Jeremiah Hatch: Senior will be missed next year.

6. Tanner Hawkinson: Pass-protection appeared solid.

7. D.J. Beshears: Had five catches for 42 yards, but didn’t have a big day returning kicks.

8. Andrew Turzilli: Playing late in the fourth quarter, red-shirt freshman made first catch of his career and didn’t stop there. Finished with three receptions for 37 yards and a touchdown.

9. Marquis Jackson: True freshman made his debut and had two early catches for 22 yards.

10. Ron Doherty: Averaged 47.1 yards on seven punts.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Jordan Webb (21 points)
2. Darrian Miller (19 points)
3. Tim Biere (15 points)
T4. James Sims (14 points)
T4. D.J. Beshears (14 points)
T6. JaCorey Shepherd (10 points)
T6. Tony Pierson (10 points)
T8. Steven Johnson (9 points)
T8. Jeremiah Hatch (9 points)
10. Toben Opurum (8 points)
T11. Jeff Spikes (7 points)
T11. Kale Pick (7 points)
T11. Tanner Hawkinson (7 points)
14. Duane Zlatnik (5 points)
15. Andrew Turzilli (3 points)
T16. Tunde Bakare (2 points)
T16. Marquis Jackson (2 points)
T18. Daymond Patterson (1 point)
T18. Brandon Bourbon (1 point)
T18. Ron Doherty (1 point)

Comments

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm starting a bottom 10 list with Tyler Patmon. I only saw 3 highlights on ESPN and two of those showed Patmon "literally" avoiding contact on two huge TDs. If it wasn't so hard to believe, I would say Patmon took some money to let his guy go. Or maybe Shealy.

On the first play of the game, he slides out of the way and allows Orwin Smith a free lane to run in. I watched it over and over, and #33 simply avoids even getting in the way. Watch it as many times as you want. It looked intentional!

On the long TD pass over the middle, he could've chipped the receiver within 5 yards to slow him down, but never even looks at the guy.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm seeing a guy being blocked, and staying outside enough to make the runner turn upfield where you would hope that there would be some help from a LB or S.

Sad, but I'm not throwing Patmon under the wreck on at least the first one.

Nic Andrews 8 years, 4 months ago

Patmon is playing injured and has been, but you obviously don't follow KU football closely or you'd know that. Out for 4 weeks of practice before the first game. When he's 100% healthy...he tops Keegan's list....see last year in case you don't know. are u a true KU fan?! i think not. it's one thing to criticize...but what kind of fan says that about the players/coaches? give me a break. Defense struggled all over the place, in every position, almost on every play....guess they are all intentionally playing that way?! give me a break. True, there is something fundamentally wrong with the defensive scheme and play calling (falls on the coaches) and they all need to go back to tackling 101 (falls on the players and coaches).
On that first play, the job for the NB was to maintain outside leverage...that's what was done from what i'm seeing. the ball carrier turned in, and then there was no one there....LB or S should have been there. on the TD up the middle, anyone who knows outside linebacker play/nickleback would know motion to you, you step out to play contain, then that obvious bad play call puts S in a no-win position. Go learn football again, then post. There is such a thing as poor preparation, bad play calling....take out the top few teams in Big 12, KU has as much talent as the next, there's no reason they should be getting drove like that by a team they beat last year. not even near the ball on a lot of plays....like i said, something is fundamentally wrong there...it starts with the coaches, who are paid millions.

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Believe me, I realize the coaches are responsible for the lack of prep and play calling. But this is the Keegan Ratings, and they don't include coaches.

I'm usually not so negative as to suggest a "Bottom 10" list, but I get so frustrated watching them get embarrassed like that, and I just saw Patmon getting run by on about every highlight he was in. Sorry that's just what I saw. I may not be an All-Pro like you, but I've been playing and watching football for 35 years, and I know enough to know that the coaches aren't on the field. At some point the players have to read the play as it unfolds, understand the breakdown, make an adjustment if needed, and make a play. Don't for one second think he's the only guy I saw looking lost either, I just didn't take the time to write it all, and risk breaking my keyboard.

About me and being a KU fan? Well, you've been here all of one day, so I'll let that go until you have adequate time to form an accurate opinion. I did grow up going to KU games. My sister graduated from KU, as did I. My kids are going to go to KU, and even though I'm out of state now, I've been posting here religiously, in support of KU, for about 4.5 years. I bleed it brother! Just like you.

I spend most of my time here these days, defending almost everything KU does against the negative Nancys breeding on this board. I criticize, but come Saturday the 29th I'll be right up front leading the charge and supporting everybody from Lew Perkins, Sheahon Zenger and Bernie, to Turner Gill, Chuck Long, and yes, even Vic Shealy.

I can criticize from time to time, because I always come back. And because I have proven myself to this school over a lifetime, to be a fan. It is nearly impossible for anyone to love this school more than I do. Except maybe coach Fambrough, but he was a god, and I am mortal.

ralphralph 8 years, 4 months ago

Miller was impressive. Webb was not ... really. You've got to be laboring under some sort of myopia or delusion to not see that Webb is a substandard QB ... he is reliably late, off-target, and wrong-thinking. The Big 12 South teams will make Webb look like he should be playing at Highland Juco.

As to the defense ... oh, my.

Gregor Southard 8 years, 4 months ago

Webb is competing 70% of his passes. The offense isn't the problem. 37 points per game doesn't suck

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

A criticism that I had of Webb was on 3rd down play in the first quarter when Biere was wide open for a short pass from Webb and reception would have given us a first down to sustain a drive. Webb (who had to see Biere) instead went for all of the marbles with a pass downfield where there was double coverage. Pass incomplete and GT receives the ball and subsequently scores.At that point in the game we were going head to head with GT and his decision imo was a factor in our demise.

deathtomizzou 8 years, 4 months ago

Point is correct. But what about the other three pases to Biere that he dropped. The QB is not the problem. It's the receivers that can't catch!!!!!

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

You are also correct, but if I recal, that was during the second half. That particular play was at a point in the first half when the game was still close. In fact, i believe that we would have taken the lead had we scored.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 4 months ago

The play was with 2:00 in the 1st with the game tied 7-7. It was an incredible throw that hit the receiver in the hands. He, freshman #81, did not squeeze it. it went through & hit him in the helmet. Clearly the receiver's fault. If he catches it, at the 26 yard line, he has a clear lane to the end zone as the free safety had a bad angle. Definitely not Webb's fault!! If the kid can't make the catch or shouldn't be trusted because he is a freshman, than he shouldn't be playing. Back off Webb on this play.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 4 months ago

For a defense to be this inept, there is plenty of blame to go around. It has to start with the coaches; we have had athletes much worse than this before who still managed not to give up 12 yards a carry. A new DC should be priority one.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Plus a new hole plugging DT (or two) and some athletes who can play DB. A tall order given the limited number of scholarships that we have this year.

Kevin Studer 8 years, 4 months ago

I think we only have 5 scholarships left. This could mean 2 years in a row without signing a single DT. Recruit, recruit, recruit my $%@.

Jhawk59 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey Gill maybe if you hadn't taken away Ryan Murphy's scholarship you wouldn't have to throw Patmon out to the dogs.