D.J. Beshears, Jordan Webb battle for top Keegan honor

1. D.J. Beshears: On the final drive he returned the kick 51 yards, gained 18 yards on a reverse and got open at the goal line and bulled his way into the end zone after catching Jordan Webb’s pass.

2. Jordan Webb: In the best game of his career, he completed 21 of 30 for 281 yards and three touchdowns and did not throw an interception.

3. James Sims: Powerful and shifty, Sims made some of his toughest runs out of the wildcat formation when the defense was screaming, “Wildcat, it’s a run.” Gained 110 yards and ran for two touchdowns and caught two passes for 49 yards.

4. Kale Pick: Noticed the safety head to an underneath route and took off to find himself wide open for Webb. Had three catches for 55 yards, including the 36-yard touchdown.

5. Tim Biere: Showed strong hands with four catches for 49 yards and blocked well.

6. Duane Zlatnik: One of the most improved players on the roster gets better as the game progresses.

7. Darrian Miller: Shifty, shifty runner averaged 5.7 yards on 10 carries.

8. Tony Pierson: Even with his 72-yard touchdown called back because of a holding penatly, Pierson averaged 9.2 yards on four carries.

9. Tanner Hawkinson: Needed to improve as a run-blocker and he has.

10. Brandon Bourbon: Showed his speed, power and determination on a 22-yard run.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. James Sims (14 points)
2. Jordan Webb (13 points)
T3. JaCorey Shepherd (10 points)
T3. Tony Pierson (10 points)
T3. D.J. Beshears (10 points)
T6. Steven Johnson (9 points)
T6. Darrian Miller (9 points)
8. Toben Opurum (8 points)
9. Kale Pick (7 points)
10. Tim Biere (6 points)
11. Duane Zlatnik (5 points)
12. Jeremiah Hatch (3 points)
T13. Tunde Bakare (2 points)
T13. Tanner Hawkinson (2 points)
T15. Daymond Patterson (1 point)
T15. Brandon Bourbon (1 point)

;

Comments

Dirk Medema 2 years, 11 months ago

Bakare deserves some credit for 9 tackles in half a game. Hope he heals fast.

Also wondering about DZ this high this week, but only because I believe he was the holding penalty on Tony's TD call back.

KU FB will improve when we bring back wrestling, and make it that much more motivation for all the DZ's out there in the wheat fields.

actorman 2 years, 11 months ago

"Sims made some of his toughest runs out of the wildcat formation ..."

TK, I agree with your rankings except that I would put Webb first, but I can see arguments either way. But it's not called the Wildcat at KU, remember? Please refer to it by its rightful name as the Jayhawk formation.

kj_hawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Keegan was quoting the defense. I doubt Northern Illinois was screaming - "They're in the Jayhawk!"

GridironHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree that Webb should be first. This is a guy that has had to listen to most fans say he doesn't deserve to start (most wanted Brock to win the job) and yet still is poised enough to through a strike for the gaming winning TD on a 4th and 6.... That was a big play for KU football.

Ashwin Rao 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree, I would have put Webb first as well. He had full control and poise on the field. I was skeptical about the pick (didn't know how much he or his competition had improved, so this skepticism was purely from last year's perspective), and he proved me wrong. I LOVE what he brings to the team.

jhawk613 2 years, 11 months ago

Beshears, despite the holding call on Sims TD, gave Webb an average starting position of the 35 yard line. Keep that in mind too, not just the final drive.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know if JaCorey was injured? Never saw him on the field in the 2nd half. We need more Darian and more Pierson. Along with Sims, I believe that they will form the core of the RB rotation. Bourbon looked a little lumbering to me.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 11 months ago

Disagree - Bourbon is a Mack truck. I thought they should of used him on the 2nd to the last drive when kicked a field goal. I think Bourbon would of been best used to pound the ball up the gut for a TD.

Joe Joseph 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure Webb would have been first if he wasn't responsible for the team's only turnover. I think he had only one pass that wasn't on target. Great game by Webb.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 11 months ago

How about a tie? Both played very well. If DJ doesn't make that clutch catch, we lose. Course, Webb has to get it there. So, I'd call it a tie. I just kept thinking on the kickoffs that Bourban is going to get sucked into running up the field to block before he even looks for where the ball is going, then late in the game, NIU is going to kick it to his side and no one will be there. That would have been a post-game question from me. Why did you keep kicking to Beshears?

jaydee909 2 years, 11 months ago

Keegan, you should have mentioned Pick's blocking downfield, not just the catches. I don't know how many times I saw Kale sustaining his blocks. In fact even Omigie threw a good block and Smiley flattened a defender on one of Sims TD's. Coach Beaty has down an outstanding job in improving this aspect of our team.

John Randall 2 years, 11 months ago

That improvement has been spectacular, and I credit it all to, "If you don't block, you don't play."

All the receivers, led by Biere and Pick, but not a whole lot, have taken up the mantra – make the defense honor the run game, and the pass game becomes a lot more open.

kckmedic 2 years, 11 months ago

They both looked good but I would have to put Webb first because of the hold. Not so much because he held but because it was one of the most obvious holds I've ever seen and it was right in front of the ref. But other than that, well done.

rockchalkjjjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

MIller tied for 6th? Good one Keegan. You can't have Sims number one and Miller 6th unless you are either a closet Texas homie or you don't have a clue. Pretty much anytime there is a critical need for a first down or a big play, Miller seems to get it done. His yard/carry percentage pretty much says all you need to know. You know as well as I do that if Miller and Sims attempt percentages were reversed, it would be Miller that was racking up big time yards. And the talk would be all Miller. Even if he didn't come from a media darling Texas school. You might as well go work for the FSN Big12 Live TV show. For those who haven't seen the show, it's basically two Texas homers showing clips of all the Big12 games but pretty much only mentioning guys of every school who happened to be from Texas. If anyone gets a chance to watch a replay, do it. And see how many minutes of the 60 minute show focuses either on one of the Texas universities (including SMS, Rice, and Houston on a Big12 show!) or on a player from another Big12 school who came from a Texas HS. The weirdest thing is right at the end of last night's show, the old guy that is co-hosting with Ric Renner can actually be seen flashing the Longhorn hook-em hand sign. Definitely no homer action going on there on what's suppose to be an entire Big12 Live show.... Folks need to start paying attention, because this Texas homer talk is everywhere, non-stop. If a player is from a Texas HS, he is praised and mentioned. If not, usually not. And this isn't just in the Big12 either.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 11 months ago

Kale Pick's TD right before the end of the 1st Half was huge! Gave the Hawks momentum going into half time. Yeah, I think Webb should be 1st on the list but DJ was there, too!