Marcus Morris, Mario Little lift KU against Oklahoma State

1. Marcus Morris: He received his Big 12 Player of the Year award shortly before tipoff and then spent the next 20 minutes showing why he got it, but was all alone in being prepared for the morning game and the weaker opponent. He scored 12 of his 16 points in the first half and hit a huge three as the shot clock was expiring in the second half. Also led the team with 11 rebounds.

2. Mario Little: Had three huge plays in the late stages of the tight game. He hit a three-point shot, converted an old-fashioned three-point play after getting fouled on a step-through, up-and-under move, and took a charge to foul Marshall Moses out of the game.

3. Brady Morningstar: On a day wide-open three-pointers were easy to come by because Oklahoma State trapped the post all day, Morningstar couldn’t get his long shots to fall, making just 1 of 6 three-pointers. He otherwise played well, scoring 9 of his 11 points in the second half and contributing four assists and just one turnover in 36 minutes.

4. Tyshawn Taylor: Played 21 minutes, scored six points and at times played good defense.

5. Markieff Morris: Had a rough day defensively and fouled out, although it appeared as if his brother might have actually committed the fourth foul for which he was whistled.

6. Thomas Robinson: Missed all five shots from the field and made just 1 of 4 free throws, but as usual, dominated the glass, getting eight rebounds in 19 minutes. Also had two assists without turning it over.

7. Josh Selby: Hit an early three that made the KU crowd go nuts and almost hit the next one, but it popped out. Looked more confident in his 11 minutes than in other recent games.

8. Elijah Johnson: Lost track of the shot clock during a key late possession that ended with Morningstar missing a rushed three. Johnson lapsed into playing defense with his hands instead of his feet and was whistled for four fouls, one of them a charge. Played excellent defense on OSU’s final possession and committed just one turnover.

9. Tyrel Reed: Didn’t have his strongest defensive performance and made just 1 of 8 field-goal attempts, all from three-point range.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Marcus Morris (266 points)
2. Markieff Morris (239 points)
T3. Tyrel Reed (194 points)
T3. Tyshawn Taylor (194 points)
5. Brady Morningstar (188 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (176 points)
T7. Josh Selby (112 points)
T7. Mario Little (112 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (109 points)
10. Travis Releford (100 points)
11. Jeff Withey (56 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (6 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 and postseason standings
1. Marcus Morris (149 points)
2. Markieff Morris (123 points)
3. Brady Morningstar (122 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (112 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (85 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (82 points)
7. Mario Little (78 points)
8. Josh Selby (65 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (59 points)
10. Travis Releford (29 points)
11. Jeff Withey (23 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (2 points)

Comments

ku98 3 years, 9 months ago

I realize most played like crap, but there's no way Tyshawn should be ranked #4.

ku98 3 years, 9 months ago

jasonsgill 3 years, 9 months ago

I think Tyshawn and Elijah are switched here.

Craig Lang 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Keegan. I thought Tyshawn played much stronger today, and Elijah kind of looked like the player who used to come off the bench.

Kye Clark 3 years, 9 months ago

How about Brady at 3? He fell down at least twice, and if I'm not mistaken once it caused the broken possession in which Keegan is blaming EJ for losing track of the shot clock.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Tom forgot to mention Brady's 6 boards on top of 11 points, 4 assists against 1 TO. Plus, to what I remember, he played the best D on Page. Everyone played terrible, but Brady's overall game was better than the rest below him.

I think he's where he should be.

panalytic 3 years, 9 months ago

We needed Tyshawn to do some good things today during a real tough game and he was able to pull through. He was an important part of us moving on in this tournament.

Dustin Gudde 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Keegan actually! I've never been a big fan of taylor, but today showed why we need him. If he can keep the same mentality he has now off the bench, he will play with many less mistakes. EJ today, just looked like a guy that was afraid. I felt like the ball stuck a lot and he didn't do much for creating for others, penetrating, or hitting open shots. This is coming from a big EJ fan, but I have to report what I see. We definitely need him to be more active and aggressive to be affective. Tough win though! Rock Chalk!

Michael Auchard 3 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor is tied for third as our most valuable player this season? Seriously?

This egregious, this is erroneous, this is false, and you are off your rocker.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but that's heavily front loaded. He's only 5th during Big 12 play, and only 7 points away from being 8th. Which I think is about right.

ralphralph 3 years, 9 months ago

Wonder if the bum foot is hampering Reed more than he lets on, or if it was just one of those days. Saying it was "not his best day" is a little too kind; it was a really rough one.

fansincewilt 3 years, 9 months ago

There's not much to say after a game like this. We certainly didn't impress anyone. I hear things like this will make us better, this was a good win, etc. A game like this in the 2nd round and we are gone again. I am concerned after today's game. Ok State will not be the only hungry team we will face. Our team just didn't show up.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

"Ok State will not be the only hungry team we will face."

I think that's the point. They were really fired up and hitting a ton of shots in the first half, and we found a way to win. That's the type of game you see 2nd round. Now, clearly we need to play better to win against a tournament team (which I think is your point), but this is a great experience to prep us for that style of game.

It was an ugly win. Let's see what happens tomorrow before we lose too much confidence.

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

This was the worst shooting performance I can remember. We just seemed to be lacking that key, demoralizing 3 pointer that would have started a run and turned this into a 12-15 point win. We're so spoiled in that regard. We always seem to get one of those to fall.

In their defense, Okie St. had impressive energy throughout the game. Moses is an animal.

Imagine if they had won. Oklahoma State or Colorado would be playing in the final.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 9 months ago

Despite not hitting the 3 ball, I thought we played pretty well. Okie St. could have beaten many, many teams in the country today. Their big men are huge!!! We could really use a couple of them next year.

The parody in college hoops this year is great. Anyone can beat anyone this year. Gonna be a tough bracket to fill out. There are so many wild card teams that could go far or fall earlier...ala KSU.

REHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Too bad we could not break loose to allow Reed more time to rest that heel. In clutch time, he is absolutely invaluable to our staying the course. Releford evidently has lost his skates.

Hank Cross 3 years, 9 months ago

Why Reed played all those minutes while contributing so little is puzzling. If his foot is bothering him that much, it's time to sit him. That type of non-productivity in the tourney won't cut it. The 8/9 team will be better than OSU and will be thinking that if UNI can beat KU in the tourney, why not them.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it's high time we benched our most consistent perimeter player. Good plan.

Hank Cross 3 years, 9 months ago

You and I just don't agree on the strength of this team. I think last year's team was more versatile as it had a proven, fearless slasher with a killer instinct (Collins) and a powerful shotblocker. I know that you don't like X, and I agree that he didn't live up to the hype, but he did have a unique skill set that could've proved decisive if he had ever brought it to bear.

I'm not saying sit Reed today, but he wasn't doing anything to help the cause yesterday. He's been in a slump lately and if it continues in the tourney, a change should be made.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 9 months ago

I will agree with you to the extent that I think last year's team -- and X in particular -- gets a bad rap. I really believe we could have coasted at least to the Final 4 if we had gotten just a few more lucky bounces/calls vs. UNI, and then we would speak of that team as one of the greatest in KU history. (When I first saw the bracket, the underseeded UNI was the only team that worried me -- the Spartans just weren't that good, and it was a joke that they made the Final 4.)

This year's Jayhawks are more promising, however, in at least one respect: our best players (the twins) are playing their best ball -- which was definitely not the case with Sherron and Cole for much of last year.

actorman 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm amazed at how many people are acting like the sky is falling. People, some perspective please! Did you honestly expect KU to come out on fire for a game like this?!?!? It was practically meaningless and the team knew it! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were able to pull it out as wins are always nice, but the team played exactly like I expected they would. And to think this game has the REMOTEST connection to how they'll play in the NCAA's is utterly ridiculous!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

"In Reed's defense, he is a 40+% trey shooter, as is BStar. You want them shooting in-rhythm looks."

Exactly. Most of those shots were wide open looks; they just didn't hit yesterday. You want both of them taking those shots. And with Reed having an off night, he is due for a 5-6 type game. Any shooter knows -- and Brady stated earlier this year -- made shots tend to come in bunches.

As long as Reed's off day isn't totally due to the injured foot, I expect him to have some good games coming up.

stuckinthemiddle 3 years, 9 months ago

I guess most of you can remeber a few years back... the reginal-final game against Davidson in the NCAA tournament... it was very similar to this game... and there was very similar hand wringing and questioning of coach Self that followed... and then came the horrible thumping of Roy's boys... and then came a national championship...

Colorado could (and I say c-o-u-l-d) be in for a horrible thumping...

LAJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I actually remember even more hand wringing earlier that year following a loss to... Oklahoma State. The sky wasn't just falling: it had exploded and was raining down shards of fiery, acidic broken dreams. It was so bad that it even brought soobawls to spout out her now infamous "fire Bill Self" comment.

(Her account has apparently been deleted, as she's no longer on that thread, but you can read the reactions to it, anyway)

Hand wringing happens a lot when you are passionate about your team. It's perfectly normally. It's just important to keep everything in perspective.