Springer earns top Keegan honor for second straight week
1. Justin Springer: He’s everything a team would like in a somewhat undersized middle linebacker. He’s quick, tough, strong, relentless. Had seven solo tackles and eight assists and just about every one of those tackles left a bruise.
2. James Sims: Became the first freshman to rush for 100 yards in his debut. Had 101 yards on 17 carries and showed excellent vision and power.
3. Daymond Patterson: His quickness, drive, balance, and flashiness all were on display during his 32-yard touchdown reception. For the day, he totaled seven catches, 85 yards and one penalty for diving into the end zone.
4. Jordan Webb: Injury-slowed RT Brad Thorson had a tough time keeping his man off Webb’s back, but Webb, a redshirt freshman making his first start still had a big day and showed a lot of fire. He completed 18 of 29 passes for 179 yards and three touchdowns.
5. Steven Johnson: Showed a lot of quickness and toughness in making five solo tackles and six assists.
6. Keeston Terry: What an open-field tackler this guy is and he tackles with such authority he’ll force a lot of fumbles in his career, such as Saturday’s. Great future.
7. Bradley McDougald: Scored the first touchdown and other than a couple drops had a big day, catching five passes for 44 yards.
8. Alonso Rojas: Nailed two punts inside the 20 and still averaged 43.4 yards on his five kicks.
9. Jeremiah Hatch: Started at center, which was one factor in the offensive line performing so much better.
10. Angus Quigley: Rushed for 46 yards on eight carries. Possible future of the KU run game: Sims at running back, Quigley at fullback.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Justin Springer (20 points)
2. Daymond Patterson (17 points)
3. Steven Johnson (14 points)
4. Keeston Terry (10 points)
5. James Sims (9 points)
T6. Jordan Webb (7 points)
T6. Chris Harris (7 points)
8. D.J. Beshears (6 points)
T9. Isiah Barfield (4 points)
T9. Bradley McDougald (4 points)
T11. Richard Johnson (3 points)
T11. Alonso Rojas (3 points)
T13. Olaitan Oguntodu (2 points)
T13. Jeremiah Hatch (2 points)
T15. Jake Laptad (1 point)
T15. Angus Quigley (1 point)