Composed Tyrel Reed earns top Jayhawk honor
1. Tyrel Reed: Excellent composure, tough rebounding, clutch shooting and solid aggressiveness driving to the hoop. He didn’t get caught up in the nonsense of the evening and showed where his heart is when after the buzzer sounded he made sure to thank the KU fans who booed every time Cal villain Jorge Gutierrez touched the ball. Totaled 18 points and seven rebounds.
2. Markieff Morris: Compensating for the absence of his brother, Markieff contributed 21 points, 10 rebounds and two steals.
3. Josh Selby: Made 3 of 4 three-pointers on his way to an 18-point, four-assist, three-turnover, two-steal night. Scored 13 of his 18 in the first half. Had two shots blocked.
4. Thomas Robinson: Has to be sneakier about being an enforcer or he’s going to start getting tossed from games. Drew an intentional foul in the first half, a technical in the second. Contributed seven points and 10 rebounds in 19 minutes.
5. Travis Releford: Drew another start and again played solid post defense. At least in the art of keeping his man from catching the ball, Releford might be the team’s best post defender, a problem considering he’s just 6-foot-5.
6. Marcus Morris: Was playing fine until he lost his cool, elbowed Cal’s Harper Kamp in the face and got the ejection he deserved.
7. Tyshawn Taylor: Has regressed into wild player he was as an underclassman. It’s as if he’s trying to show he has as much talent as Josh Selby.
8. Brady Morningstar: Silly technical at the end, slapping the ball out of Cal player’s hands and into stands. Yo, what’s with that, dawg?
9. Elijah Johnson: Needs to slide his feet better on defense to earn more playing time. Whistled for two personals in seven minutes.
The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Markieff Morris (88 points)
2. Marcus Morris (87 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (85 points)
4. Thomas Robinson (74 points)
5. Tyrel Reed (58 points)
6. Brady Morningstar (54 points)
7. Travis Releford (47 points)
8. Mario Little (34 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (33 points)
10. Jeff Withey (23 points)
11. Josh Selby (18 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (3 points)
Note: Once Big 12 season begins, both overall and conference Keegan ratings standings will be kept to take into account Selby's late arrival into the rotation.