Saturday's football opener pits global roster vs. hyper local one

Kansas tight end Mavin Saunders snaps his helmet during practice on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. by Nick Krug

Since accepting the job as Kansas football head coach, David Beaty consistently has believed in competing for jobs continuing right into the brink of the season and beyond.

The thinking is that it keeps everyone battling every day as if their job depends on it because it does.

That’s one approach, but what if a coach had the confidence to know that he can motivate players to give their best in practice without it seeming as if they can work onto or fall off the depth chart with one or two good or bad practices? There would be an upside to that. Fewer players on the depth chart means more reps for those who are on it.

That’s one of several differences between KU and Nicholls, an FCS school, heading into Saturday’s 6 p.m. kickoff at Kansas David Booth Memorial Stadium.

Kansas has 31 names on its offensive depth chart, 31 on defense for a total of 62. Nicholls has 22 listed on offense, 24 on defense for a total of 46.

It’s reasonable to draw the conclusion then that Nicholls players who will appear in games get more practice reps than KU’s.

Another difference: KU’s roster has a global feel to it, whereas Nicholls has a hyperlocal one. KU has players on its depth chart from 15 states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia. The Bahamas (tight end Mavin Saunders) and Canada (center Alex Fontana) also are represented.

The Colonels on the depth chart for offense and defense come from two states: Louisiana and Mississippi.

Comments

Pius Waldman 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Well with limited amount of highly starred players from Kansas nation wide recruitment is necessary. Schools like Nichols State select the leftovers from the D1 teams selections. Obviously mostly local players.

Len Shaffer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

There's one other major difference. Nicholls State presumably has someone who can actually coach ...

Len Shaffer 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I just saw the article about Rebowe, the Nicholls coach. You can delete "presumably" from my first post.

Bryson Stricker 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Tom, you got any statistics on what balance is the most successful?

Hyperlocal (1-3 states) Standard (4-10) Global (10+)

I'd be curious to see what the numbers say on that.

Dale Rogers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Off topic but I still want to vent... I guess the move for Jayhawk TV to be broadcast on ESPN+ (available through Cox for one) is a good thing overall but we happen to be a casualty. We live in another state. I used to watch those games on ESPN3 when not available on the usual TV sports networks. OK, they're no longer on ESPN3. We do have Cox out here in southern California but the local Cox does NOT carry ESPN+ and they tell me they have no plans to add it. I put in a request for it to be added (yes, I know it's subscription) but am very doubtful it will be available anytime soon. So, I guess I try to watch the text play-by-play. I'm not sure whether kusports has something like that that's not just full of comments causing me to have to read through everything to figure out what's happening.

Kenny George 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Two things... 1. Dale, that really sucks. I feel for you. 2. This is the dumbest column I have ever read.

Dirk Medema 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Players "can work onto or fall off the depth chart with one or two good or bad practices."

Do we actually know this, or is this just negative speculation?

How many practices have there been between the most recent depth chart and the previous depth chart?

Maybe it actually takes more than one or two good or bad practices for players to work onto or fall off the depth chart. But let's not let reality get in the way of slander.

Gordon Penny 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Keegan is full of blind speculation about the football team that he posts as fact. It is his M.O.

Michael Maris 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I see that the Central Michigan game is slated for ESPN+ as well. At this stage in KU Football program, they should be paying us to watch their football program on TV. AD Long, I understand your cry for supporting the Jayhawks football program. But, Beaty and staff have gotten off to another pathetic start again in 2018. It's damn tiresom to read about how they're going to RUN the football. Let me give you a hint, go hire Glenn Mason as a running game consultant. He can damn sure instruct your team how to RUN the football.