My thoughts on Josh Jackson and McKenzie Calvert as aired on "Between the Lines with Kevin Kietzman"

I appreciated having the chance on my weekly appearance on "Between the Lines with Kevin Kietzman" on 810 sports radio to air my thoughts on the alleged unfair treatment of Kansas women's basketball player McKenzie Calvert as compared to men's player Josh Jackson.

I normally appear with Kevin on Thursdays at 3 p.m., but game times can force us to reschedule, as was the case this week. The podcast is archived on WHB's website. On it, I explain why I don't see that KU is any trouble on the Title IX front as regards to the punishments given to Calvert and Jackson by their coaches. I also reiterate that Calvert's playing time did not diminish until 11 games after the Dec. 9 incident at the Yacht Club.

Since I'm promoting my weekly radio spots, I might as well point out that I also appear as a co-host of "The Drive," Sunday nights at 10:30 on WIBW-TV with Tim Fitzgerald of gopowercat.com.

Also, Matt Tait and I will air "KU Sports Extra" episodes after every KU tournament game.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the links Tom. Appreciate this as I enjoy your point of view, which I often find enlightening.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Great comments Tom on the WHB Podcast! Thank God a journalist has the guts to speak truth-to-power and standup to speak out about this idiocy and crazy KC Star reporting. Also very proud of Bill Self supporting his guys to do what is right.

I'm sure you know and have heard all the stories around Lawrence. It seems there is a consensus of what happened.

Steve Jacob 6 months, 2 weeks ago

But, now way in the world can the LJW be able to be be as critical about KU then the Star can be. If Tom or other reporters for the LJW lost access to the KU team the paper might not exist.

Suzi Marshall 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Keegan is telling the truth. All the other's are repeating the politically correct half-truth BS reported by the KC Star.

Chad Dexter 6 months, 2 weeks ago

What a bunch of horse crap. Listen to what he says and then tell me he is not being critical. He's using logic and not a bunch of hyperbole, illogic, and half truths. You must be a KSU fan.

Pius Waldman 6 months, 2 weeks ago

After listening to your conversation with KK I would suggest to you that KK simply wants to create problems and his opinion is biased to encourage that. Instead of saying what happened he simply wants to tell you and everybody what he wanted or should have happened. His saying do you agree or disagree with my wants is an example. If anyone thinks that Josh Jackson isn't being punished must remember that this will be a part of his lifetime that will be remembered. That in itself is a greater punishment than a one game suspension..

Gerry Butler 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Dam, right on Keegan, thought you had very valid agruments - -Kietzman is an idiot - -period.

Richard Heckler 6 months, 2 weeks ago

When people screw up no matter who they are ..... do not deserve preferential treatment.

The alleged behavior of jackson after a night on the town is not excusable. A boys will be boys position sucks.

How many Jayhawk basketball players were out drinking that night? KU athletics does not seem to care instead they look for how many ways to save the team at tournament time. It's the principle of the matter.

Is it appropriate for KU athletics to engage in bribery to save the team? I think not.

What the athletes have been learning over the years IS that athletes are provided preferential treatment no matter what thus reckless and irresponsible behavior goes unchecked IN ADDITION to painting women as the primary violators.

All for a winning athletic team.

KU Jayhawks have many wins and titles under the belts why tarnish the Jayhawk name with bribery scams and turning blind eyes?

Janet Olin 6 months, 2 weeks ago

As regards bribery scams, JJ's attorney's public statement says Mr. Calvert's allegations are not true. The attorney says Calvert's lawyer asked for a meeting with him to discuss the possibility of restitution. Calvert is (again) cherry-picking so-called facts and presenting them as grievances, and the Star is again reporting incendiary and sensational allegations based on rumor and innuendo without reporting the other side.

Brian Skelly 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I concur. When the attorney and the "client" don't have their facts straight, then it's hard to get to ate up about this.

There is a big jump from "restitution" to "bribery" that doesnt really seem to be there.

Janet Olin 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't believe athletes should receive special treatment. I am in favor of news media reporting incidents, but they should do it in a professional manner: verify facts, name sources, present both sides of the story. Mr. Calvert obviously has a vendetta and a selective memory. The Star is allowing this to become a circus by not verifying facts or sources. The athletes and the public deserve better.

Dale Rogers 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Wondering how you know they were drinking? Were you there? Maybe they were playing pool. We've all heard that the girl threw a drink on Vick and we all assume that drink was alcoholic even though she's underage. So, would they still be in businesses if they served alcohol to underage students? One report said the drink she threw was water. My problem here is with convicting before we know the actual facts. The punishment should fit the crime but there should be no punishment until it is known for sure there was a crime. Think Carlton Bragg being accused of hitting that girl and pushing her down the stairs. You did hear the end result of that, right?

Olympia Wilson 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Glad to see something on this situation. Would have been weird if the LJW just completely ignored it.

Brett McCabe 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Keegan deserves a medal for being able to tolerate Kitezman on a weekly basis. Forget the purple bias, he's a horrible interviewer who has never heard an answer he can't interrupt - usually with a story about his mom. The guy is unlistenable.

Michael Mulvihill 6 months, 1 week ago

LOL Dale Rogers you must have never been in a collage town bar. Underage drinking is all over those bars.

Eliott Reeder 6 months, 1 week ago

So, out of curiosity, could Calvert have been charged with assault or battery under Kansas law for throwing the drink in Vick's face?i

Bill Joeckel 6 months, 1 week ago

He is Definitely a KSU fan,I mean he is a host of PowerCat? Something or other. And aligning yourself with the Fake Kevin Kietzman" Show on 810 sports radio says it all. He'd be better off on a Real Sports Station like http://www.610sports.com/ they have better ratings anyway. I'm obviously a KU first and then Big 12 Fan second.