Blog from the Prudential Center: Thomas Robinson selected 5th by Sacramento; Tyshawn Taylor taken 41st

11:35 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell

Just talked on the phone a little while ago with Tyshawn Taylor, who seemed excited to be playing about 10 miles from his hometown of Hoboken, N.J.

“It’s not that far,” Taylor said. “It’s over one of those bridges over there.”

Be sure to check back to KUsports.com in the next few hours for complete coverage of the NBA Draft, which will include a column from Tom Keegan and full reaction to the day's events from Taylor and KU coach Bill Self.

With that, we're going to sign off with our live coverage. Thanks for being a part of it.

10:03 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell

Tyshawn Taylor was selected with 41st pick in NBA Draft by Portland, who will trade him to Brooklyn.

9:47 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell

Here's Matt's story from New Jersey: Memorable hug, tears just part of emotional night for Thomas Robinson.

9:24 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell

The Chicago Bulls select Kentucky's Marquis Teague with the 29th pick. Turns out those earlier reports of the Bulls taking Taylor were a smoke screen.

Taylor will be a second-round pick.

9:05 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell

Thanks to the KU sports information department for sending this along: Here's audio from Thomas Robinson's press conference after he was selected with the fifth pick in the NBA Draft tonight.

8:25 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

A few more ...

(13) Phoenix — Kendall Marshall, North Carolina

(14) Milwaukee — John Henson, North Carolina

(15) Philadelphia — Moe Harkless, St. John's

(16) Houston — Royce White, Iowa State

(17) Dallas (later traded to Cleveland) — Tyler Zeller, North Carolina

(18) Houston — Terrence Jones, Kentucky

(19) Orlando — Andrew Nicholson, St. Bonaventure

You have to wonder what Houston's pickup of Terrence Jones means for the future of Marcus Morris.

7:46 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

Let's catch up on the last few picks:

(6) Portland — Damian Lillard, Weber State

(7) Golden State — Harrison Barnes, North Carolina

(8) Toronto — Terrence Ross, Washington

(9) Detroit — Andre Drummond, UConn

(10) New Orleans — Austin Rivers, Duke

(11) Portland — Meyers Leonard, Illinois

(12) Houston — Jeremy Lamb, UConn

7:28 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

These two photos were sent our way via the KU athletic department from NBA.com:

Credit: NBA.com

Credit: NBA.com by Jesse Newell

Former Kansas forward Thomas Robinson, right, shakes the hand of NBA commissioner David Stern after Robinson was selected with the fifth pick in the NBA Draft on Thursday in Newark, N.J. by Jesse Newell

7:21 p.m. Update by Matt Tait:

Three videos of Robinson as I followed him following his selection in the NBA Draft, including the first one, where he's congratulated by former teammates Marcus and Markieff Morris.

7:08 p.m. Update by Matt Tait:

A couple photos of Robinson doing interviews after getting selected by the Kings.

7:04 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

Robinson sheds a tear on television when being interviewed by ESPN. Obviously an emotional moment for him.

7 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

It's official: Thomas Robinson is selected fifth in the NBA Draft by the Sacramento Kings.

6:55 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

This could turn out great for Robinson. Now, he could be matched up with DeMarcus Cousins in Sacramento if the Kings take him at No. 5.

6:54 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

Cleveland takes Syracuse's Dion Waiters with the fourth pick. Major surprise there.

6:47 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

The Washington Wizards pass on the hometown selection and go with Florida's Bradley Beal.

6:44 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is taken second overall by the Charlotte Bobcats. It's the first time ever the two first picks in the NBA Draft have come from the same school.

6:40 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

No surprises with the first pick. Kentucky's Anthony Davis goes to New Orleans at No. 1 overall.

Waiting to see if Charlotte takes Robinson or if perhaps a trade is in the works.

6:35 p.m. Update by Matt Tait:

Thomas poses for a picture with his younger sister, Jayla.

Former Kansas University forward Thomas Robinson hugs 9-year-old sister Jayla before the start of the NBA draft on Thursday, June 28, 2012, in Newark, N.J. by Jesse Newell

6:33 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

Here's the aforementioned video of Robinson. If you can't hear, he says, "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. KU all day."

6:22 p.m. Update by Matt Tait:

Pretty much just waiting now. Thomas Robinson was at his table in the Green Room by himself for a long, long time. No worries. He had plenty of visitors, as analysts from ESPN, other players and even a couple of other coaches came and say hey.

I got some video of him waving to the people back in Lawrence and saying, "Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU all day," but he's such a quiet talker and it's so loud in here that I'm not sure we'll be able to post it.

Jesse's working on it now.

No sign of the Twins or Jayla yet, but they can't be far behind. We're getting close now and Robinson seemed to be very relaxed, just as he was yesterday.

More to come ...

6:21 p.m. Update by Matt Tait:

Here's Thomas texting away in the green room while waiting for the first team to go on the clock.

6:15 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

I talked to Kansas center Jeff Withey a few days ago to get his thoughts about Thomas Robinson in tonight's draft.

"He’s for sure a top-five pick," Withey said. "I think he proved a lot throughout this year, making it to the championship game. He’s a winner. I think it would be stupid not to pick him up top five, and hopefully No. 2.

"I think Anthony Davis is definitely a lock for No. 1, so if Thomas can get that No. 2 spot, that’s awesome for him."

Withey said the NBA Draft would be different for him this year because he knows so many players that are going to be selected.

"It’s definitely going to be cool to watch and fun to watch, rooting for Thomas and Tyshawn," Withey said. "I think Tyshawn is going to surprise a lot of people and go pretty high. It is definitely going to be something I’ll watch with a lot of people and make a day of it."

Withey also will be watching this year's draft knowing he could have been a part of it. He ultimately chose to return to KU for his senior year.

"It’s definitely something I thought about, but I’m happy with my decision," Withey said. "It’s definitely going to be cool to guess where I would have gone, but it’s probably a really stressful thing, and I’m glad I waited another whole year to have to deal with that."

6:11 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

A few more photos from Matt showing Thomas Robinson just before the draft.

5:45 p.m. Update by Jesse Newell:

Here are a few photos Matt has sent along from New Jersey:

This is the set for ESPN's broadcast of the 2012 NBA Draft from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., highlights the main portion of the draft floor.

Here's a look at the stage inside the interview room where the draftees talk to the media after they're picked. http://www2.kusports.com/users/photos...

Here's the view — bright lights and all — that Thomas Robinson will have while talking to the media after he is selected. That's former NBA star Ron Harper in the front row. Naturally, when the players are in there the room will be full.

And this is a quick look at the green room about an hour before draft time. Thomas Robinson will sit with his sister Jayla and her father, Angel Morris, a childhood friend from DC and his AAU coach. Former Jayhawks Marcus and Markieff Morris are expected to be here tonight, but they won't be at Robinson's table.

5:14 p.m. Update by Matt Tait:

The stage is set — literally and figuratively — for tonight's NBA Draft in Newark, N.J. by Matt Tait

Recently overheard an official with the Washington Wizards discussing their options. Sounded like a lot of what Washington does hinges on what happens with Robinson at No. 2. It sounds like if Charlotte stays and takes T-Rob, Washington will pick a different guy or trade down. If Charlotte stays and takes someone else, or trades and the new team takes someone else, Washington may look very hard at Robinson at No. 3.

Not huge news, obviously, but it was interesting to hear this from the Wizards.

In other news, I just saw a report that said the Celtics may be trying to trade up for Austin Rivers, the son of head coach Doc Rivers. My first reaction: What?!?!?!

I like Rivers, but I don't know why dad would want to trade up to get son. Talk about pressure. We'll see what happens.

More to come.

Original Post, 5:00 p.m.

Hello, and welcome to the official Draft Night blog from KUSports.com.

Matt Tait is live in Newark, N.J., at the Prudential Center, where Thomas Robinson is expected to go among the first five picks in tonight’s draft.

Also in New Jersey, although not in the arena, is hometown guy, Tyshawn Taylor, a four-year Jayhawk who could go as high as the mid-20s or could last into the middle of the second round.

It’s a very different night and experience for both guys, but one that expects to end with a lot of smiles and hugs.

Robinson, the runner-up in most national player of the year votes, will be joined in the Green Room by his 9-year-old sister, Jayla, his AAU coach, a friend from Washington D.C., and Angel Morris, the mother of former KU players Marcus and Markieff Morris, who were drafted in this very building one year ago.

As is customary, most of today was spent with rumors flying around and teams trying to jockey for position on the draft board. Those moves — if they’re made — could impact Robinson directly, who has a good shot at going second overall if Charlotte stays there but could drop to four or five if Charlotte trades the pick.

Dropping to four or five sure doesn’t sound like a bad deal, and it seems safe to assume that Robinson won’t be in the Green Room for long.

Although the past several weeks were spent with these guys traveling all over the country working out with this team or the other, that’s all behind them now. All that remains is for NBA commissioner David Stern to call their names and the euphoria that follows to ensue.

We’ll be here all night offering our thoughts on the picks and Matt will be checking in from Newark, N.J., as often as possible with pics, videos and his thoughts.

Hang out all night or keep checking back whenever you can. It’s Draft night and that’s becoming more and more of a big deal for Kansas fans.

For those looking to kill time before the first — or maybe the second — pick, here’s Matt’s story from yesterday, which looks at what Robinson and Taylor did in their final days leading up to tonight’s big moment.

Stay tuned for much, much more and enjoy the draft!

Comments

Evan Ridenour 8 years ago

I saw a comment in yesterday's blog asking why Self and Manning wouldn't be attending. I am also wondering why Self isn't going to be there?

Any information on that Matt?

DRsmith 8 years ago

Probably because he only has 2 players getting drafted? And one in the 2nd round? Probably out recruiting.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years ago

Did you guys hit up scores for the birthday bash last night?

Jeff Coffman 8 years ago

I must say that I was afraid TRob would drop to about 6-8, but I think he'll surprise a lot. I'm guessing there will be one team excited that he dropped.

jayhawkinATL 8 years ago

TRob looked more pissed than anything else about being taken no. 5. I'm sure he's going to use it for motivation.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years ago

Ever been to Sac-town? You'd be pissed too.

Evan Ridenour 8 years ago

It is gross, but come on, DC is a much bigger ghetto. Still an improvement from where he grew up.

There have been substantial rumors that the Kings ownership is trying to move the team. He might not be stuck there for more than a year or two.

jayhawkinATL 8 years ago

Yep, the Maloofs are trying like hell to move the team to Vegas.

ljworldsubscriber 8 years ago

Your kidding, right? Well, obviously not. But really: US Supreme Court hands down a history making verdict but TRob grabs the "Breaking News"...............

area51 8 years ago

What nothing esle to do in kentucky but bash ku fans and players. Sure hope the ncaa doesn't find out later that your players were inegilbile which is the norm for your coach. How many trips to the final four did it take coach cal to finally get his first championnship anyway? It took self just one!!

Saad Saifeddine 8 years ago

what an emotional moment for TROB and for all of us jayhawks!! i couldn't be prouder!

hawkcat 8 years ago

Jesse what are you doing, looks like you made some people mad.

ku1otaku 8 years ago

I was just thinking the same thing. What in the world are they doing drafting Royce White and then Terrance Jones? Don't they already have enough forwards?

hawkcat 8 years ago

Hey Jesse what happened with the two guys that you had trouble with?

hawkcat 8 years ago

Looks like Robinson didn't do well in the draft.

jaybate 8 years ago

Sacramento is about like going to OKC and Durant has done okay. Plus Cousins is already there. TRob will shame the Pillsbury Doughboy Cousins into manning up on the weights and something good could happen in gold country. And Tahoe is a great hang in the off season.

texashawk10 8 years ago

Jayla is going to be psyched when the Kings move to Anaheim and T-Rob can take her to Disneyland whenever.

jaybate 8 years ago

But then a fur ball hucker might not be looking for comfort and reason tonight.

jaybate 8 years ago

Damian Lilliard before Tyshawn Taylor?

Read my lips: Mario Chalmers!

The combined IQ of NBA GM's this year must not be much above 40.

jaybate 8 years ago

The draft life of KU guards is brutal.

The NBA GMs are going for length at all perimeter spots.

MJ finally made a great pick in Kidd-Gilchrist.

TRob should have been third.

Jeff made the right call to wait.

With double figure scoring and even 8rpg and his shot blocking and his length, he will be a Top 8 pick for sure next season.

jaybate 8 years ago

Teague I can see. He gave Tyshawn a tough game.

But Damian Lilliard?

Puhlease!

ku1otaku 8 years ago

I disagree. I think the Bulls will regret the Teague over Taylor pick one day.

jaybate 8 years ago

C'mon Warriors, take Tyshawn!!!

You will be getting a terrific player.

dynamitehawk 8 years ago

Great draft night. Couldn't be happier to see a midget AND Thomas Robinson in the same picture.

jaybate 8 years ago

Houston got a deal in Royce White, too.

Tom Wilson 8 years ago

Not a happy camper! I really did not want to see T-Rob on the same team with Cousins. It will be very very hard to pull for the Kings unless Cousin is traded.

jaybate 8 years ago

Warriors lose their spine.

Draft a center with a name from hell.

Tyshawn, looks like you are in Mario Chalmers country.

jaybate 8 years ago

It is more amazing than ever that Self wins so many games and goes so deep in the NCAA with so few players the NBA values highly. Just amazing.

I wonder if Self got the word that TRob was going down to 5 and TT wasn't going to get drafted first round and Self just said screw it!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years ago

Put down the crack pipe. We've had more lottery picks since 2000 than any other school. And this year, a down year, we had two players drafted. Only three other schools had more.

REHawk 8 years ago

Precisely my thoughts re Bill Self, jb. He knows what a diamond he had in Thomas; wasn't about to play a role in the NBA cut, clip and dissect game.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years ago

Scott Drew is dominating the second round

adamjhwkfan 8 years ago

Tyshawn gets to play as close to home as he could get!! Congrats to both guys. T-Rob congrats on top 5!

yovoy 8 years ago

Jaybate, I completely agree. I don't understand how the success and growth that OurSelf's players exhibit through their careers gets so undersold/undervalued. I don't know if I'd say that it "offends" me, and I'm trying to be impartial, but I've seen lots of these other players play over the last season or two, and I just don't "get it".

I honestly think that Ty will shine if he's given a chance to do so. I think the same about D. Lamb. This kid had to share the ball with some pretty talented players in his years at UK, much like TT, and I'm shocked that they both went so low. At least Ty gets to be "home".

Off to see the roster of the BK Nets.

rockchalk_dpu 8 years ago

Have to agree with you that the experience and stats that KU players accumulate over a career seems to be devalued over that of other players in lesser situations. I don't know how many times we hear that a guy 'is a winner' but the same sentiment is not echoed when discussing a guy like Tyshawn who was one of the top winners in KU history.

I know he had off the court issues and some wild choices with passes, but the guy can play. I hope that he has a list of teams he wants to dominate much like Paul Pierce did after he slipped in the '98 draft.

Glad to see both players drafted, hopefully this gets us in the eye of a few more recruits as this is our 16th and 17th picks in the draft over the last 10 years.

Brian Powell 8 years ago

Curious to see how T-Rob and Cousins works out... could go either way. Just hope he gets/earns some quality PT out there in SacTown!

Will be following both of the guys for sure.

rockchalk_dpu 8 years ago

Did anyone notice the conversation Calipari had with Davis and MKG before the draft?

"Hug mom and dad then me. Then spin around so everyone can see my face on TV."

I can't accurately type what I'd like to do describe my true affections for Calipari out of fear that the KUSports censors will come down on me, but you can imagine it comes in shades of blue.

Alex Peekeaton 8 years ago

Love Coach Cal...wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the world!

jhwklifer_portland 8 years ago

I was soooo excited when Portland drafted TT because I would finally have a chance to watch him in person on a regular basis (only make it back to KS for 1 game a year)....

Now he is already on his way to Brooklyn - sad day :(

Just one more reason I am not a Trail Blazer fan. - Go Jazz

Jeffhawk 8 years ago

Thomas looks better dressed than every other player being drafted. Not the most important aspect, but he certainly represents KU in the best light.

REHawk 8 years ago

Thomas and Tyshawn now have lots to prove to the Powers That Be in the world of NBA hoops. Having come to know their true natures, I fully expect each of them to show their talents in such a manner as to make their teams glow with the knowledge that they have plundered some rare nuggets.