Welcome back!

The NBA is 13 days away.

Or — let me put this another way — just 13 days and Paul, Mario, Marcus and the gang will be back on your TVs and in the news. And we'll try to keep you up-to-date on it all, here on the Hawks in the NBA blog.

By now, you might have realized I'm not Matt Tait or Tom Keegan or any of the faces you're accustomed to seeing on this site. My name's Nick Gerik and… I'm the new guy. I graduated from KU in May and I'm a sports copy editor at the Journal-World. I'm not an NBA expert. In fact — this is important to remember — I'm a relatively recent NBA fan. So although I try to keep a close eye on things, I don't know everything. Suggestions and corrections are always welcome.

Like many of you, I've watched these players in Allen Fieldhouse, and I've followed the hoopla and heartbreak of the last few years. And because of that, I want to know what these guys are up to in the pros. Simple as that. I don't have any special contacts or access — only a search engine, official stats and some curiosity. I'll do the legwork, so you can do the oooh-ing and ahhhh-ing at awesome plays by your favorite former Jayhawks.

But first, a refresher.

There are 12 former Hawks currently on NBA rosters. They are:

• Josh Selby (Memphis Grizzlies)
  • Marcus Morris (Houston Rockets)
  • Markieff Morris (Phoenix Suns)
  • Xavier Henry (Memphis Grizzlies)
  • Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City Thunder)
  • Mario Chalmers (Miami Heat)
  • Brandon Rush (Indiana Pacers, for now… more on that in a minute)
  • Darrell Arthur (Memphis Grizzlies)
  • Drew Gooden (Milwaukee Bucks)
  • Kirk Hinrich (Atlanta Hawks)
  • Nick Collison (Oklahoma City Thunder)
  • Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics)

There are also two ex-KU players who were on NBA teams last season but haven't signed with a team for this season:

• Julian Wright was with the Toronto Raptors last season and is an unrestricted free agent, free to sign on to any roster. Toronto isn't interested in re-signing him, but he should land on another team soon.

• Darnell Jackson was with the Sacramento Kings in 2010/11, but signed with Ukraine's BC Donetsk and, according to his Twitter, is now waiting for an offer to play back to the States. The Kings renounced his rights, so he'd be a free agent if an NBA team wanted to sign him.

And we can't forget the handful of other ex-Jayhawks who are still playing for pay outside of the NBA:

Between free agent signings, training camp additions and trades, NBA rosters are still in flux, so we might see some movement between the lists in the next two weeks. On Monday it was rumored that Brandon Rush might be traded from the Indiana Pacers to the Memphis Grizzlies. Small problem: Rush was at Pacers practice today and the Grizzlies' owner says a trade isn't in the works, for what that's worth. If the deal ever happens, four former Jayhawks (Arthur, Henry, Selby and Rush) would be NBA teammates. In Memphis. Good thing that city doesn't have any history with KU basketball.

Regardless, with a dozen former players on NBA rosters, it should be a fun season for KU fans.

Hope you'll follow along with me.

Comments

IrishHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Love having this back, it's the only reason I pay attention to the NBA....

Keep the updates coming, and hopefully will get to see Hinrich play the full year for the Hawks here in Atlanta.

Will depend on this column to stay up with everyone else - especially love the info on the guys playing overseas and/or in the D-League.

BTW, It's really awesome to see Gravy Train still balling! Go Graves!

FarSideHawk 2 years, 11 months ago

That's pretty much what I follow in the NBA too, until the playoffs. Just look at the box score every morning to see how the hawks did.
If Rush does go to Memphis, I may have to adopt them as my favorite team.

Ted Toulouse 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome aboard Nick! Thanks for taking this over.

My only request is that we get more complete stat lines. It's nice knowing that our Jayhawks have a tendency to contribute more than just points to their teams' success.

Kent Wells 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, if the trade goes through, we'll just have to call Memphis the Memphis Jayhawks!!!

Ian Brown 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome, Nick! Thank you for doing this blog.

I thought everyone would be glad to know that Brady Morningstar is playing very well for the Tulsa 66ers. He's getting 23.8 minutes per game while averaging 10.4 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.8 apg, and an EFF of +8.75. He's also shooting 43.5% from the field, 38.1% from three-point land and 87.5% from the charity stripe.

On December 9th he scored 29 points shooting 5-12 from beyond the arc and he also made 12 of 14 free-throw attempts while booking 46 minutes of PT (PT as in Playing Time). Ballin'!

Keep it up, Brady.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I love having a dozen plus guys in the league. Wish we had a top tier guy or two though. Pierce is still the best of our guys and he is getting old.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

milehighhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Given their very high ceilings, I would not be surprised if the Twins (or even Selby!) became the next "next level" guys.

Eride 2 years, 11 months ago

I second the idea of giving us more stats from the box score. Giving just minutes played and points doesn't really tell much. Rebounds, assists, steals, blocks as well at the minimum please!! Thanks! :)

AsadZ 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome Nick. Look forward to your updates. I am still hoping that some palyers who are not in NBA get in the league, especially Russ Robinson. All the best to Jayhawks.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, welcome. I also like that you showed our guys who play overseas. I hope you can give us updates on them, now and then. The NBDL guys, too! They're all Jayhawks.

milehighhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I had no clue Jeff Graves was still playing. Good stuff.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 11 months ago

Welcome! I look forward to your NBA updates. In the past I've used the Hawks in the NBA Blog just to see which hawks contributed and then gone elsewhere to get their full stats and the rundown of how they performed. It'd be nice to get more of that information in one place if possible... obviously it's not easy because there'll be Hawks playing almost every night, but often there's only one or two guys at most who really play meaningful minutes (hoping that changes, too)...

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 11 months ago

Add to the list: Kenny Gregory - SLUC NANCY, France

Nick Gerik 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks, JayHawkFanToo. I've added Gregory to the list above. It's tough to keep track of all the overseas guys. If any of you ever see something I've missed, let me know so I can throw it into a future post.

Beak 2 years, 11 months ago

welcome to kusports.com Nick. Im sure you are very familiar.

Nick Gerik 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm a big fan of the extended stats too, so you should be seeing plenty of that this season.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey, Nick. I know this is extra work, but I'd love to see the stats of the non- NBA players as well

nnelson 2 years, 11 months ago

We try to post a "'Hawks in the NBA" story with stat lines of all former Jayhawks that had a game the previous day every chance we get.

You can actually sign up to have those emailed to you daily, when available, here:

Those stories will also show up on this page, which contains all of our coverage of Jayhawks in the NBA:

Eric Sorrentino 2 years, 11 months ago

Good stuff, Nick! Looking forward to following the blog this season, now that we finally have some NBA action to look forward to. Go Mavs (and all Jays in the NBA).