We’ve received dozens of entries for our first ever KUsports.com NBA Draft Contest and we’ll be accepting more until noon Thursday.
In case you’ve forgotten, here’s a refresher. You’re basically asked to predict where Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry and Sherron Collins will be selected in this year’s NBA Draft (June 24, New York City). We’re not asking you to pick the teams they end up with, just the spot in the draft that they’ll be selected. No matter how it all shakes down, the only number that will matter for this contest is which one was read when the player was first drafted.
If you’re submitting an entry from the website, you’ll need to be a registered user. If you’d rather just email in your selections, send them to email@example.com.
There’s a series of tiebreakers outlined in the rules below in case any of you end up with the same score. Your score will be determined by how close you get to picking each player’s draft position, with the lowest total score taking the prize.
The winner will receive a Paul Pierce Boston Celtics jersey and a Pioneer Blu-ray disc player.
I’m not eligible to win but I can still enter for bragging rights. With that in mind, here are my picks and a little bit of justification for each one.
Cole Aldrich — 8th — I’ve seen Cole as high as No. 4 or 5 and as low as No. 11 or 12. I’m basically trying to split the difference to cut down on my score. If he goes fifth, I’ll get three points. If he goes 11th, I’ll also get three points. And, of course, there’s still a chance that he could be picked eighth, too. It’s tough to predict which team will take him, any club in the league could use a big man with Cole’s skills.
Xavier Henry — 12th — Memphis has loaded up on big men in recent drafts and it’s time for the Grizzlies to add a slasher like Henry. I think Memphis would be a good fit for X but I’m also thinking in terms of staying close to the number. Recent reports have indicated that he could go as high as 6th and previous mock drafts had him going as low as 22nd. It’ll probably be somewhere in the middle, which is why I picked what I did.
Sherron Collins — 52nd — I think Sherron will get drafted. I don’t think it will be early in the second round, but I also don’t think it’ll be in the final few picks either. That’s what makes 52 a good spot. In addition to the position making sense, the team kind of makes sense. The Boston Celtics own the 52nd pick and, after being exposed as an aging team in need of a little youth, the Celtics could use a player like Collins.
Well there you have it. I’m on record with my picks now. Be sure to get yours in before Thursday. Here's the link to enter as well as another look at the rules.
NBA Draft Contest Official Rules
• Those entering the contest will select their prediction for the overall pick in the NBA Draft of former Jayhawks Cole Aldrich, Xavier Henry and Sherron Collins. The contest will be scored only on when these players are drafted, even if they’re traded. The winner will receive a Paul Pierce Boston Celtics jersey and a Pioneer Blu-ray disc player.
• Contest begins Monday, June 14.
• Deadline to enter is noon, central time, on Thursday, June 24.
• The winner will be determined based on a points structure. For each pick that an entrant is off on his/her predictions, the entrant will receive one point. Then, the entrant's point totals from his/her three picks will be added up. The person with the lowest point total of all entrants wins the grand prize. (Example: Entrant picks Aldrich to be taken 10th, Henry to be taken 20th and Collins to be taken 30th. If Aldrich is picked 11th, Henry is picked 22nd and Collins is picked 33rd, the entrant would receive one point for Aldrich, two points for Henry and three points for Collins, for a total of six points.)
• Entrants can select “undrafted” for a player if they feel he will not be taken in the NBA Draft. If a player is undrafted, his pick position will be listed as 61st for scoring purposes.
• In case of a tie in points, the first tiebreaker will be the entrant that has the most picks exactly right. In case of a tie of three or more entrants, the entrants that tie for the most correct picks will move to the next tiebreaker.
• The second tiebreaker will be the entrant who is closest to Sherron Collins' draft position.
• If there is still a tie, a random drawing will take place to determine the grand-prize winner.
• Grand-prize winner will be announced on or after June 30.
• Entrants: Only one entry per person. Entrants must submit name, address and email address to be eligible for grand prize. Subsequent submissions disqualify all submissions. Employees of The World Company and their immediate family members may participate but are not eligible to win prizes. By submitting an entry, entrants guarantee they are at least 14 years of age. The winner also agrees to allow his or her image to be used in marketing and promotions relating to this contest.
• Prizes: KUSports.com reserves the right to make adjustments to the prizes given out in case of unforeseen circumstances.;