Two factors key for KU against home favorite Oklahoma State

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson watches from the floor as Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart recovers a fumbled ball by Johnson with seconds remaining in the game on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse. The turnover nullified the the Jayhawks' comeback effort. At right is Kansas guard Ben McLemore and Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown. by Nick Krug

Team: Oklahoma State
Record: 19-5
KenPom (Ken Pomeroy) Ranking: 16
All statistics from KenPom.com unless otherwise noted

3 Strengths

• Turnovers: Oklahoma State continues to thrive offensively and defensively because of turnovers, ranking first in Big 12 play in offensive turnover percentage and third in defensive turnover percentage. The Cowboys' plus-2.7 turnover margin per game also leads the conference. KU turned it over on 22 percent of its possessions in the last game against OSU, which was the highest mark for the Jayhawks in their last five games.

Drawing fouls: Oklahoma State is one of the best in the conference at getting to the line, posting the third-best free throw rate in Big 12 play. Marcus Smart and Le'Bryan Nash are the two biggest reasons for this, as both rank in the top 200 nationally in free throw rate and fouls drawn per 40 minutes. In case you were wondering, KU is fifth in Big 12 play in defensive free throw rate, meaning it's about average when it comes to allowing opponent free throws.

Defensive rebounding: The Cowboys are No. 1 in conference play in defensive rebounding percentage, controlling 73.2 percent of opponents' misses. KU is actually the Big 12's second-best offensive rebounding team in conference play, so this will be a matchup of strengths on Wednesday night. One interesting subplot will once again be seeing how much OSU's 6-foot-11 center Philip Jurick plays. The senior is an elite rebounder — ranking in the top 15 nationally in offensive and defensive rebounding percentage — but OSU played well without him in there during the first matchup, as a smaller lineup put more pressure defensively on KU center Jeff Withey.

3 Weaknesses

Offensive rebounding: Judging by the first KU-OSU matchup, you'd probably think one the Cowboys' greatest strengths is offensive rebounding. In actuality, that's one of OSU's biggest weaknesses (eighth in offensive rebounding percentage during Big 12 play). When OSU grabbed 45 percent of its misses in the first matchup against KU, it was by far OSU's best offensive rebounding performance and one the Cowboys haven't come close to matching since. A big reason KU struggled on the defensive glass in the first game was an inability to block out Smart, who posted six offensive rebounds in the second half alone.

• Three-point shooting: Oklahoma State is only middle of the pack in the Big 12 when it comes to three-point shooting, making 34 percent of its threes in conference play (fifth in league). Though Markel Brown's hot shooting lit up the Jayhawks early in the first matchup, OSU only finished 8-for-24 from long range in that game (33 percent). The Cowboys have made 33 percent of their three-pointers for the season, and they don't rely heavily on them, getting 25 percent of their total points from threes (237th-highest split nationally).

• Fouling too often: Oklahoma State ranks sixth during conference play in defensive free throw rate. Big 12 opponents are averaging 19 free throws per game against the Cowboys, who — during league play — have played at a faster tempo than any other conference team.

3 Players to Watch

Six-foot-4 guard Marcus Smart (No. 33) scored 25 points in the first matchup and dominated the second half, posting 15 points on 5-for-7 shooting with seven rebounds, two assists and three steals.

Smart is best offensively when he gets to the free throw line, as he makes 78 percent of his free throws and draws 5.7 fouls per 40 minutes (117th nationally). Keep him off the line, though, and he's only a slightly above-average offensive threat. He does rank 153rd nationally in assist rate, but his two-point percentage (48 percent) and three-point percentage (32 percent) are below what you'd expect. A closer look shows Smart doesn't penetrate all the way to the rim often, as only 29 percent of his shot attempts are layups/dunks/tipins.

Smart also is an elite perimeter defender, ranking 10th nationally in steal percentage while also posting a top-500 mark in block percentage.

• Six-foot-3 guard Markel Brown (No. 22) was the hero of the first half for OSU in the first matchup, putting in 22 of his 28 points before halftime on 7-for-10 shooting and 5-for-7 shooting from three-point range. Brown takes the highest percentage of shots for OSU (25.5 percent, 398th nationally), and that's been a good thing for the Cowboys, as Brown has been the team's best outside shooter. The junior has made 41 of 105 threes (39 percent) while also making a high number of his two-point jumpers (41 percent; NCAA average is 35 percent).

C.J. Moore had a good breakdown of how OSU took advantage of KU's ball-screen defense in this blog post, but KU also might be helped in the second matchup by starting with Travis Releford defending Brown instead of Nash. Brown is more the type of player Releford is used to guarding: one that comes off screens to get open looks for jump shots. It is worth noting that Brown has upped his free throw production in Big 12 play, as his 67 free throws rank second on the team behind Smart's 79.

• Six-foot-7 forward Le'Bryan Nash (No. 2) is the weak offensive link in a productive OSU lineup. The former McDonald's All-American has the second-highest shot percentage on the team (23.7 percent), but his numbers don't justify that kind of usage. Nash has made just 46.9 percent of his twos (NCAA average is 47.4 percent) and only nine of 41 threes (22 percent). His best skill, like Smart, is getting to the free throw line, where he's a 77-percent shooter. Nash also has his share of turnovers and isn't a great passer or rebounder. Defensively, he doesn't provide much in the way of steals or blocks, either. If Nash is shooting a jump shot during an OSU possession, KU's defense should consider that a victory whether the attempt goes in or not.

Prediction

Oklahoma State has a couple of significant factors going for it.

For one, KU coach Bill Self is just 2-3 at Gallagher-Iba Arena as the Jayhawks' coach. Also, the betting lines opened with the Cowboys as a 1 1/2-point favorite.

I think there are still two reasons to be optimistic about KU's chances on Wednesday night, one stat-related and one not.

1. Though OSU does a good job of protecting the rim, KU should shoot layups better than it did in the first matchup. Though KU was able to get to the rim frequently in the first game, it made just 10 of 23 layups against the Cowboys (43 percent). For the season, KU has made 64 percent of its shots at the rim (which includes layups/tipins), while OSU has allowed 54 percent shooting at the rim. We'll see if the Jayhawks convert on more of those opportunities Wednesday night.

2. This is new territory for OSU. The Cowboys struggled in a game they shouldn't have at home against Oklahoma, then celebrated the overtime win by ... jumping on fans' shoulders after they rushed the court?

This is a huge game for both teams in the conference standings, and KU has a team with more experience in these types of high-pressure games.

I guess that's what makes me feel more comfortable taking KU in what should be a great game.

Kansas 72, Oklahoma State 70

Hawk to Rock

Taking Ben McLemore as the Hawk to Rock was the right choice in the first KU-OSU game, and I think it'll be a solid pick in this one as well. In a game stocked with future NBA players, McLemore should be able to showcase his athleticism and also his outside shooting. I'll say the freshman leads KU in scoring Wednesday night with 20-plus points.

Predictions tally
21-4 record, 295 points off (11.8 points off/game)

Hawk to Rock
SE Missouri: Perry Ellis (2nd in KUsports.com ratings)
Michigan State: Jeff Withey (4th)
Chattanooga: Andrew White III (10th)
Washington State: Ben McLemore (4th)
Saint Louis: Perry Ellis (7th)
San Jose State: Travis Releford (2nd)
Oregon State: Jeff Withey (2nd)
Colorado: Elijah Johnson (4th)
Belmont: Kevin Young (6th)
Richmond: Jeff Withey (1st)
Ohio State: Ben McLemore (1st)
American: Jeff Withey (5th)
Temple: Kevin Young (2nd)
Iowa State: Travis Releford (4th)
Texas Tech: Ben McLemore (4th)
Baylor: Jeff Withey (4th)
Texas: Elijah Johnson (8th)
Kansas State: Kevin Young (6th)
Oklahoma: Travis Releford (3rd)
West Virginia: Jeff Withey (2nd)
Oklahoma State: Ben McLemore (1st)
TCU: Kevin Young (3rd)
Oklahoma: Travis Releford (5th)
Kansas State: Naadir Tharpe (3rd)
Texas: Kevin Young (6th)
Average: 4th in KUsports.com ratings

Comments

Phoghorn 6 years, 4 months ago

Phoghorn's predictions:

1. Coach Self will find some old footage of Coach Fambrough proclaiming that Quantrill was an OSU grad.

2. Brock Berglund will be making an official visit to OSU and will sit next to Coach Gundy.

3. A dense Phog advisory will be issued for Stillwater.

4. The announcers will spend the entire game talking about Duke.

5. It will be discovered that the Peter Griffin can not tell the difference between the names "Self" and "Clinton". That is why he was posting bizarre comments recently.

6. The KU and OSU fans will have a Harlem Shake Contest at halftime.

Marc Frey 6 years, 4 months ago

Not too bad, but leave it to the professional: jaybate..

Jeff Coffman 6 years, 4 months ago

Ku by 14...all the little things we did wrong will be corrected. OSU played the perfect game last time, and barely won. I know it is on the road, but KU will take care of business.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 4 months ago

Psychological Warfare Techniques to be used by the Jayhawks.

1] At the introductions, each Hawk runs to the center circle and does a back flip.

2] Hand out Travis Ford "Watch Me Grow" hanging door charts. [Note this will only work up to about 4th grade...anyone over 4'-5" will not be able to be measured.]

3] Tell the crowd that, after tonight's game, Bill Self will take over the OSU program if the crowd goes out and hangs T. Boone Pickens.

4] Put a life-size Greg Ostertag doll on the Kansas bench.

5] Have the Jayhawks come dressed in their Harlem Shake costumes.

Ken Tomberlin 6 years, 4 months ago

I would pay to see Jeff Withey do a back flip:)

texashawk10 6 years, 4 months ago

Now, now Oak, let's not advocate murder. A good tar and feathering however would be fun to see.

hammerhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

It. Will. Be. Hard. To. Win. On. The. Road. But we will.

Redlandsjhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

When I read your post with all those periods I sounded like William Shatner!

JJHAWK 6 years, 4 months ago

Heavens Hammerhawk. I missed the 1st three periods and thought I had wandered into the wrong site. Yeppers - I need new glasses.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 4 months ago

Not planning on watching this one, so I'll go ahead and get it out of the way...

I'm scared.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 4 months ago

Stats, Facts

KU is 21-3 this year in games when stupidmichael is scared.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 4 months ago

Did we play any OT games this year? Not my scooters.

mikehawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Nice Oak. Very funny! Get ready to rumble. Both teams recognize the Big 12 league race stakes. The loser may be out of the hunt. And more, both teams have something to prove. G-I will be rocking tonight. I live and work down here with these Pokes. They will never admit it, but they live life with a chip on their shoulder because of the school located an hour south of Stillwater. They live for moments of esteem development like this.

Sam Constance 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh, Oklahoma State... I remember when you were a respectable program.

Phoghorn 6 years, 4 months ago

Like it or not, they are respectable again. I am glad to see this. Having a competitive race for the top of the conference is good for KU. Don't get me wrong, I hope we win out and get our 9th consecutive conference championship, but competition makes us stronger.

jhox 6 years, 4 months ago

If we do our job on our defensive boards, we will win. We lost for one reason and one reason alone in Lawrence...too many second chance opportunities late in the game. I'm guessing Self will have somebody with a body on Smart at all times tonight, so that doesn't happen again. I don't see OSU shooting as well as they did in Lawrence. If we have an average or better shooting night, and take care of the defensive glass, we win.

Scott Smetana 6 years, 4 months ago

I predict OSU plays great and hits some 3's. I predict OSU will play us tough down low and keep Withey from scoring. I predict we'll hit a few 3's but get behind. I predict EJ will try to lead us and miss plenty of shots. I predict Tharpe will come in and spark a great comeback. KU by 1.

Marcus Balzer 6 years, 4 months ago

Played one of our worst games all year and OSU still struggled to beat us and we had a shot to win it at the end. We will not be surprised by OSU tonight. I think as long we weather the storm and stay up or keep OSU in striking distance we win.

Brad Farha 6 years, 4 months ago

I've seen a few posts about how Travis Ford knocked Bill Self some way (interview? internal meeting?). Anyone have the info on that? Just curious.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 4 months ago

What the rumor is was that during the OSU team review of the game film, every time HCBS image came up,Ford would stop the film and come up with some kind of insult.....what else would you expect from a Kentucky Wildcat hillbilly!!

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I believe he would usually refer to Self as " sawed off ", which makes no sense at all, since Ford is about 4' 3"......

Brad Farha 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you OakvilleJHawk and nuleafhjawk!

I know I'm biased in favor of Self, but he genuinely seems like an okay guy. My better half doesn't care about college sports (I've failed in that regard), so I consider her unbiased, and she thinks HCBS is a cool cat. Hopefully these rumors regarding Ford and the comments by Nash (about wanting to show us why he chose OK State over KU) will have the team ultra motivated. I can't wait for game time!

AirCapJay 6 years, 4 months ago

I think KU plays down and up to it's perceived competition and always up for K-State. I think OSU caught us off guard in Lawrence. Plus I think the team had a bug that week, possibly the flu or bad colds. I think they are healthy now, and ready to get punched in the mouth. KU 75, OSU 64.

Justin Daniel 6 years, 4 months ago

I have been to every game KU has played in Stillwater since I graduated from KU in 2000 and moved to Tulsa and I will be there again tonight. Unfortunately I have had to walk out of GIA most of the times with my beloved hawks on the losing end. I have the same bad feeling I had when I went to my first game there and saw a fragile team lead by hinrich, collision and gooden get blown out. I am afraid forte will get hot and our 4 spot will hurt us again. I hope I'm wrong and I will cheer as loud as possible, but I predict OSU 83 - KU 65.

hawk_of_ages 6 years, 4 months ago

Really? We haven't gotten beaten that badly all year. It's not like we're a team of freshmen going up against Desmond Mason, a la 2000.

Justin Daniel 6 years, 4 months ago

We also got blown out with a fragile experienced team in 2003 80-60. My point is it is a tough place for any KU team to win, let alone one that has confidence issues.

hawk_of_ages 6 years, 4 months ago

That wasn't in 2003, when we had a senior-led Final Four team. That was 2004, when it was OSU that had a veteran-led Final Four team.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 4 months ago

If i use my heart I see your point. If I use my head I think the spread is a little harsh.

Jackster 6 years, 4 months ago

I went to OSU to watch KU play there roughly 8 or 9 years ago and we were heavy favorites. I was with a buddy who was an OSU grad and we decided to stop by Eskimo Joe's to play Golden Golf (or whatever the video game is called) to let the crowd clear out before we headed to the arena. I think I was on hole #6 and looked up at the TV and OSU was up something like 25-4. We never left Joe's and KU got killed. Not tonight though, I can't wait to see BMac and the boys go crazy. This is our night!!!

colreader 6 years, 4 months ago

Just checked the line and it's down to OSU by 1 pt. I see an OSU victory tonight. Hope I'm wrong.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 4 months ago

Jesse,

Now that you have had time to reflect, what was the swoon cause?

AirCapJay 6 years, 4 months ago

KU plays like they did against OSU (the other one) tonight.