Updated KU basketball stats for dunks, floor burns

Reader Steve Zimmerman requested of KUsports.com this season's dunk stats for the Jayhawks. Here they are, Steve:

1 - Joel Embiid (16)
2 - Andrew Wiggins (12)
3 - Perry Ellis (8)
4t - Tarik Black, Wayne Selden (5)
6 - Jamari Traylor (4)
7t - Landen Lucas, Frank Mason, Andrew White III (1)

That’s a total of 53 dunks, 14 games into the season, an average of 3.8 slams per game. We’ll have periodic dunk updates as the season progresses.

KU also tracks floor burns:

1 - Selden (24)
2 - Embiid (20)
3 - Ellis (18)
4 - Mason (15)
5 - Wiggins (12)
6 - Traylor (10
7 - Naadir Tharpe (6)
8 - Black (5)
9t - Brannen Greene, White (3)
11t - Lucas, Justin Wesley (1)

;

Comments

Mick Allen 3 months, 1 week ago

You don't put a bad defender on the opponent's number 1 weapon every game. Curious what games you have been watching to form the conclusion that Wiggens isn't an outstanding defender. Self believes he is and that is good enough for me. He comes off one of his best and most complete games of the year and still catches grief. Give the kid some slack.

Greg Lux 3 months, 1 week ago

Do you have a stat of how many time Wiggins has been standing and watching the game without any effort to go rebound the ball or block out anyone on the other team? Yes it harsh for me but this kid has such a great gift and he just stand around way to much during games. Effort is God given but man made and he is not using half of his tank. I know he sees it on the films so my other question is WHY?. Is he tired that early in the game? Is he waiting for others to get the rebound and he wants to lead the fast break? I love the kid but he has the biggest off - on switch on the team.

Suzi Marshall 3 months, 1 week ago

Do you keep stats on finishing opportunities? A comparison of the number of ops vs dunks might be interesting information.

Dirk Medema 3 months, 1 week ago

TK - Do we have stats from previous years, especially on a per game basis?

Steve Zimmerman 3 months, 1 week ago

Embiid's number surprised me a bit. I didn't know he's that active. This stats can be a bit modified - of those dunks, which ones assisted by PGs/team, or made by individual moves. Just my 2c. It's a simple but great record keeping, otherwise. And I do hope HCBS & staff take note of it.

Steve Zimmerman 3 months, 1 week ago

Mr. Keegan, I'm thrilled with your new column. With all due respect, sir, I'd like to request you address to KU fans, instead. Rock Chalk!!

Kent Richardson 3 months, 1 week ago

Floor burns per minute played. Or we can probably pull the stats and do the math from box scores. The last ones I really remember were Bird's and Danny's back in the 80's.

Kicks to the nether region on end line photogs. Dennis Rodman - 1.

Losing your teeth at a babe during a broadcast. Brent Mushberger - 2.

Picking your nose on camera. 1 - numerous leaders.

Biggest Fro during a game. Artis Gilmore, Dr J tied at God knows how many.

Honorable mention: John Riggins with the Jets. I don't know if he played BB at Concordia. I played against Bobby Douglas during a YMCA summer league game in the 60s and he played BB just the same as he did FB. I was 6'3" and 125lbs (no joke) of stellar matador defense. Survive and advance.

Most consecutive times the number 4 used in a sentence. Moses Malone - 3. (would have been epic if it had been 4).

Tony Bandle 3 months, 1 week ago

Nice job, Tom.

REGARDING DUNKS: Looking at replays of all the games, I counted at least another 24 or so "bunnies" that could have been dunks. Of those bunnies, almost half of them rimmed out. Some wild-ass idea indicates to me that converted to dunks, the completion % might have been a little higher [please insert sarcasm font].

REGARDING FLOOR BURNS: I notice that Conner is absent from that list....considering his size and build and the size of the other bodies flying around on the court, probably a wise move!

REGARDING TURNOVERS: Would it be too hard to seperate unforced to's from forced to's? You have to give some credit to your Division One opponents for forced to's..but unforced?? UNH UH.

Titus Canby 3 months, 1 week ago

Thanks for the stats, Tom. I can't think about floor burns without thinking of Jared Haase. I always felt like we couldn't lose with him in the game. I truly believe we would have beaten AZ in '96 if he had been healthy.