Kansas still ranked fifth in Associated Press college basketball poll

Most ranked schools opened the season abusing sparring partners, so there wasn’t much movement in the Top 25. From the Big 12, Kansas remained fifth, Oklahoma State eighth. Baylor moved from 25th to 23rd.

The top 25 teams in The Associated Press’ college basketball poll, with first-place votes in parentheses, records through Nov. 10, total points based on 25 points for a first-place vote through one point for a 25th-place vote:

School    Record Pts
  20. Wisconsin 1-0 357
  21. Notre Dame 2-0 328
  22. New Mexico 1-0 240
  23. Baylor 1-0 235
  24. UCLA 1-0 196
  25. Virginia 1-0 170

Others receiving votes: Creighton 148, Tennessee 138, Indiana 78, Iowa 54, Harvard 46, Boise St. 24, Colorado 18, Villanova 14, Arizona St. 11, LSU 8, Washington 8, Pittsburgh 6, UNLV 6, Georgetown 4, Missouri 3, Saint Louis 3, Stanford 3, Cincinnati 2, Towson 1.

The ballot I turned into the AP on Sunday night:

1. Louisville: Many key parts back, but voters enamored of newcomers underrate reigning national champion.

2. Michigan State: Gary Harris goes for 20 and 10 in sparring session vs. McNeese State. Kentucky on deck.

3. Duke: Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker, nation’s top one-two combination of newcomers, combined for 44 points, 17 of 20 field goals and 5 of 8 three-pointers in Davidson rout.

4. Kentucky: Freshman Julius Randle, 6-foot-9, 250 pounds, averaging 22.5 points, 14.5 boards and shooting .846 from line.

5. Syracuse: Sophomore Trevor Cooney, a .267 three-point shooter a year ago, made 7 of 8 threes and scored 27 in opener.

6. Arizona: Yet another freshman, Aaron Gordon, leads way with double-double (13,10).

7. North Carolina: Lefty point guards, like left-handed hitters, just look smoother. Case in point, 'Heels soph Marcus Paige.

8. Michigan: Utah Jazz (0-7) can’t wait for Trey Burke to return from broken finger because Big 12 vets John Lucas III and Jamaal Tinsley not producing at point.

9. Kansas: Quietly, as he does everything, Perry Ellis has become a great deal better.

10. Oklahoma State: It’s been three years since Le’Bryan Nash supplied us with one of the greatest moments in TV history. Asked why he decided to put on an orange, gigantic foam OSU cowboy hat to announce his school destination, Nash answered, “I just thought the hat would make me a tremendous person.”

11. Ohio State: Buckeyes consistently show it’s possible to win big in football and basketball.

12. Florida: See Ohio State.

13. Memphis: Biggest U.S. city I’ve never visited. Five things on the itinerary when I do: 1. Watch the ducks in formation at the Peabody Hotel; 2. Graceland; 3. Rock 'N Soul Museum; 4. Tigers basketball game; 5. Listen to blues on Beale Street.

14. Oregon: Houston transfer guard went for 24 in Ducks debut.

15. VCU: M@ T8 look-alike Shaka Smart’s 40-minutes-of-havoc defense works.

16. Notre Dame: Senior stars — how is that for a phrase from a bygone college basketball era? — dominate this team. Four seniors and one junior start.

17. Tennessee: Sidelined by knee injury a year ago, rebounding machine Jeronne Maymon is back.

18. Marquette: Point-guard woes compounded when freshman Duane Wilson went down in preseason with stress fracture.

19. Wichita State: Nick Wiggins, a senior and Andrew’s big brother, had nine points in 13 minutes in season-opening thrashing of Emporia State.

20. Gonzaga: Why is it you never hear anyone mispronounce "Zags" as “Zogs,” but those same people pronounce Gonzaga as “GonzOga,” which is wrong? Also, Nevada is a flat-a sound, not NevOda.

21. Wisconsin: Josh Gasser missed last year with knee injury and celebrated his return by dropping 19 points in 11-point victory against St. John’s.

22. Creighton: Doug McDermott’s father needs to call the coach to let him know that playing 20 minutes in the opener is no way to help his son become national player of the year. Normally, I’m against such parental interference, but in this case I think it’s warranted. McDermott scored 20 points, so at that rate he would have gone for 35 if the coach sat him just five minutes instead of 20.

23. UCLA: Held off Drexel, 72-67, in coach Steve Alford’s Bruins debut.

24. Baylor: It feels as if senior Cory Jefferson has been jumping to the rafters for the Bears for a good decade or so.

25. Virginia: Who can Tony Bennett turn to in an effort to prevent his team from again traveling the boulevard of broken dreams? NCAA Tournament bubble burst on Cavaliers when they lost three of final four games.

;

Comments

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I think that I'm going to start saying "NevAHda" just to sound continental.

Doug Cramer 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm just not convinced Duke is better than Kansas...but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Can't wait for tomorrow night....ROCK CHALK !!!

Aaron Paisley 9 months, 2 weeks ago

KU does have more talent overall, but Duke's talent has better chemistry at this point because they're integrating fewer new pieces into theor rotation than KU is. If this game was after Christmas, I would take KU, but right now I think Duke is better than KU at the moment. KU is still more than talented enough to beat Duke tomorrow, and I hope they do, but I'm not going to be shocked if Duke wins.

Aaron Paisley 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I think Michigan State is the best team in the country this year and I think Izzo has his best team since his 2000 title team.

John Fitzgerald 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If you guys had watched Duke much closer and criticized them as much as you do KU then I'm sure a lot of you would feel different. This is a great matchup for both teams this early in the season. There will be a lot of rookie mistakes on both sides and it will be an exciting finish. As for Kentucky, they're going to get blasted by Michigan State. Cals perfect season will last only two games.

Bruce Beckum 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Like Keegs, I'm a bit shocked at the lack of national love for the 'Ville

Doug Cramer 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If you watched Louisville play to award the end of the year...Peyton Sieva was the biggest reason they won the national championship. He's gone...and they are playing an EJ type of guard to run the point this year. So no...Louisville isn't the number 1 team in my opinion.

I know I'm biased...but KU will clearly appear as the number 1 team by mid January.

John Randall 9 months, 1 week ago

I hope the poll voters don't catch on until well after mid-January. Too much recognition too early in the season (or in life) is an insidious factor that makes it more difficult to keep developing into all a team (or person) can potentially become. Just like it is a blessing for Wayne, Perry, Frank, et al to have the lightening rod of AW#1 front and center dealing with so much media hype, I'd like to see a couple of teams stay on top of the inconsequential 'rankings' all the way to final4 (just like '88 and '08) where we they'll be ripe for the picking.