Big 12 Media Days, Day 2: KU sets goal of 'Going to Mass Street'; Jeremiah Hatch trims down; Gill says communication better in Year 2

4:05 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

We're going to go ahead and wrap up our online coverage from Big 12 football media days.

Be sure to check back to KUsports.com for more stories in the coming days from our time here in Dallas.

3:57 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Two more videos before we wrap up our live blog from Dallas.

First, KU coach Turner Gill was asked what his team's goal was this year. He didn't back down, saying it was to win the Big 12 championship.

Also, KU offensive lineman Jeremiah Hatch (like tight end Tim Biere) has been impressed by KU's incoming freshmen.

3:45 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Matt mentioned in his 11:02 a.m. update that KU offensive lineman Jeremiah Hatch was in great shape after dropping between 35 and 40 pounds this offseason.

The senior explains (in an entertaining way) how he went about losing that weight in this video.

3:31 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

It's official: KU will be switching to a base 3-4 defense this fall.

KU linebacker Steven Johnson said new defensive coordinator Vic Shealy had informed the team of the change about two weeks ago.

"We have a lot of good linebackers," Johnson said, "so we're trying to make our defense built to our favor."

Last year, the Jayhawks ran a base 4-3 defense. The year before, under former coach Mark Mangino, KU's base set was a 4-2-5.

Matt Tait previously reported that KU might switch to a base 3-4 in this article from last month.

3:05 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Kansas coach Turner Gill said KU's second offseason under his watch was more productive than their first. See video below:

2:28 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Evidently, the Jayhawks getting picked last in the Big 12 changed linebacker Steven Johnson's shopping habits.

The KU senior said — though he was tempted — he avoided buying all of the preseason magazines he saw at Wal-Mart.

Check out the video below:

2:15 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Though last year's 3-9 record was tough on KU fans, it sounds like it was even tougher on offensive lineman Jeremiah Hatch.

He talks about how last year's struggles motivated him this offseason in the video below:

2:05 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

KU coach Turner Gill said Tuesday that he anticipated that the Jayhawks would win more games in 2010 than they did. Video below:

12:46 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

I know there's no cheering in the press box, but it's still hard to not like KU linebacker Steven Johnson (Here's a feature on his remarkable journey from walk-on to starter from last year, in case you haven't seen it).

Not only is he engaging in interviews and a good storyteller, he also isn't somebody that takes himself too seriously.

That can be seen in the video below as Johnson — who said one of his goals was to represent KU at Big 12 media days — actually thanks media members for interviewing him.

12:35 p.m. update: By Matt Tait

One of the more incredible things to watch at these types of events during the past couple of years has been the increased role Twitter has played.

Like with any other aspect of our society, Twitter seems to be one of the media's favorite methods to deliver news fast.

With all kinds of Tweets flying around throughout the morning, it can become tough to keep an eye on the best ones out there. Some are funny, some are newsy and others are just flat-out baffling.

One of the most interesting Tweets to pop up so far today came from Brian Hanni, host of Rock Chalk Sports Talk on 1320 KLWN. During the radio portion of the day, Hanni had KU coach Turner Gill one-on-one. When he asked him if freshman QB Brock Berglund could come in and compete, provided he arrives as scheduled on Aug. 3, Gill delivered an interesting response. Here's a look at Hanni's Tweet:

"Asked if Berglund has his issues enough behind him to come in & compete, Gill said "Michael Cummings is gonna be able to compete" #kufball"

Earlier in the day, I asked Gill if he had any further comment on the Berglund situation, considering that Berglund's lawyers [released another statement yesterday][1] about him planning to report to camp on Aug. 3 and having a trial date set for December.

Gill was mostly quiet and simply said, "That's about it, he'll be here Aug. 3, ready to go."

Maybe his response to Hanni was unintentional, but we'll definitely check back with him during the one-on-one sessions with the print media later today.

More to come...

12:15 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

To view photos from Day 2's action of Big 12 football media days on Tuesday, [visit our online photo gallery][2].

12:10 p.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Kansas senior tight end Tim Biere says KU's 2011 recruiting class is the best he's seen since he's been in Lawrence. Video below:

Noon update: By Eric Sorrentino

I thought one of the most interesting topics of Turner Gill's press conference regarded the levels of communication between the Jayhawks' players as last season progressed.

"I thought early on in our season and all that, our players didn't talk to each other very much," Gill said on Tuesday at the Westin Galleria. "Not just football-wise, I'm just talking about just in general."

KU suffered back-to-back brutal losses of 55-7 (at Baylor) and 59-7 (vs. Kansas State) in the first half of last season. The Jayhawks' highlight of the second half of last season was the historic 52-45 comeback victory against Colorado on Nov. 6, 2010 in Lawrence, the greatest comeback in KU history (35 unanswered points in the final 11:05).

Gill took action himself last season to assure better communication amongst his players.

"I'm trying to find ways and did a little bit of seminars and trying to get our players to be able to communicate," Gill said. "If you're not able to communicate, we're not going to be able to move forward in our program to be champions."

11:38 a.m. update: By Eric Sorrentino

Here are some Tweets I had (follow me [@Big12_Spotlight][3]) from Turner Gill's press conference, which ended a few minutes ago:

• Turner Gill: I'm a little bit more at ease as I go into this football season. Last year at this time, I didn't quite understand deep details.

• Gill: Everybody is a lot more confident ... I really feel good about our work ethic. We have gotten faster.

• This year, we got competition. That's what we didn't have last year at some positions.

• On Big 12 schedule/round-robin format: I think that's a plus for the Big 12. It's good for our fans. I think it will be a long-term deal.

• I think there was tremendous improvement as a football team in the last four games of the season ... There was communication. At the beginning of last season, our players didn't talk to each other too much.

Stay tuned for more updates shortly...

11:35 a.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Kansas coach Turner Gill says that he doesn't think it will take a long time for the Jayhawks to become a winning football program. Video below:

11:15 a.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Kansas linebacker Steven Johnson talks about the Jayhawks' goal in 2011 of "going to Mass. St." See below:

11:02 a.m. update: By Matt Tait

We've heard about it all summer but now we've finally seen it. KU senior Jeremiah Hatch is in fantastic shape and looks as good as he's looked in years. The reason? Consistency. Hatch, who's dropped about 40 pounds, said he's always been able to lose the weight but keeping it off was the problem.

This year, the end of his career looming has inspired him to amp it up a notch and the result has put him in the best shape of his life.

Hatch credits strength coach John Williams and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes for helping him focus in and said his faith, his pride and his family have all played key roles in getting him ready for a big senior year.

Beyond shedding the extra weight, Hatch said he's entering the season at 100 percent and added that knee and back problems that have plagued him in the past are now behind him.

More to come...

10:35 a.m. update: By Jesse Newell

Kansas tight end Tim Biere reads over the KU media guide on Tuesday morning at Big 12 Media Days at the Westin Galleria in Dallas. by Eric Sorrentino

Stay tuned for video of several Kansas football topics, including Jeremiah Hatch's weight loss, KU's goal of "running to Mass," Turner Gill talking about how long it will take to turn around the program, and Tim Biere talking about KU's impressive 2011 recruiting class.

Original post: By Eric Sorrentino

Dallas — After a rough start in coach Turner Gill's first season, in which the Kansas football team finished 3-9 overall and 1-7 in Big 12 Conference play, not many pundits pinned the Jayhawks as bounceback contenders in 2011.

Earlier this month in the Big 12 preseason poll, [the media predicted Kansas][4] would make a return appearance to the basement of the conference.

Will the Jayhawks surprise folks and string together some victories, or continue their downward spiral in Gill's second season in Lawrence?

Welcome back to the second day of KUsports.com's live coverage of [Big 12 football media days][5] at the Westin Galleria.

We'll have live updates throughout the day, so keep it locked on KUsports.com and follow us on Twitter. I'm live in Dallas with KU football beat writer Matt Tait (Twitter [@mctait][6]) and KUsports.com online editor Jesse Newell (Twitter [@jessenewell][7]). My Twitter feed is [@Big12_Spotlight][8]. We plan to string together video, text updates, pictures and more from today's proceedings.

Gill is scheduled to address the media at 11:20 a.m.

Should you have any questions, comments or otherwise, post in the comments section below or Tweet at us. Is there a question you want us to ask one of the players? Seniors Tim Biere, Steven Johnson and Jeremiah Hatch will be available to the media from 2-3 p.m. today. Ask your question in the comments section and we'll do our best to try and have it answered.

Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville will begin Day 2 at 11 a.m. The Red Raiders will be followed by Gill (11:20 a.m.), Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads (11:40 a.m.), Kansas State coach Bill Snyder (noon) and

;

Comments

jaymar74 3 years ago

I know that Bourbon is getting healthy quicker than expected, but is he going to truly be 100% by McNeese State?

phi4life940 3 years ago

Jason Montgomery 3 years ago

That looks like a mistype, shouldn't it be over/under 2?

squawkhawk 3 years ago

It will be a successful season when Gill is fired 5 minutes after the last game ends.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 3 years ago

Yeah, I mean....we're a powerhouse right? Why hasn't he won us a BCS National Championship yet? I thought we'd have at least 3 Heismans by now, you're right....he HAS to go.

mjhawkchalk 3 years ago

I totally agree milwaukeeJAYHAWK. Gill needs to go. It's not like he took the worst program in college football and turned them into conference champions. By the way, it's good to see that I am not the only KU fan in Wisconsin!

Jayhawk444 3 years ago

The No. Ill. game should tell us a lot. If we win that one, we can begin to hope for another win or two later in the year - like Iowa State or K State. I don't see us winning at Ga Tech. So 4 wins is a stretch, I think. But if we lose the second game of the year...I don't see another win the rest of the year. Perhaps we can stage a Colorado-like miracle or a Ga Tech-like surprise performance...but no way we get to 4 wins.

We're looking at 2 or 3 wins this year as "acceptable" and 4 as reason for hope for the future. 0 or 1 win would be a disappointment, but we'd have to keep in mind Gill needs another year or two to demonstrate how he can produce with his own recruits..

gammimc 3 years ago

I don't believe we'll beat K State. Outside of a win against ISU, we could go winless in the conference.

Jayhawk444 3 years ago

I'd put the over/under at 2.5

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Isn't it awful that you could also make a case for Turners career wins at ku +/- 4

McGuzzo23 3 years ago

I guess there is no sunshine for the comments today. I think year 3 is what we should be looking at and to be an improved football team. Need to start the season 2-0 to even think about 4 wins. I just want to have a shot in the 4th Quarter in some games this year. The Fire Gill talk is really getting annoying. Give the guy a chance. If there isn't improvement through the half way point this year then by all means let the talk begin but lets have some hope to start the season instead of thinking of the worst before it even begins.

mustlehustle 3 years ago

To summarize the whining about the Longhorn Network and the unfair advantage it may give the University of Texas that already controls the recruiting in Texas, finishes in the Top 5 nationally in recruiting regardless of their record, or a TV network and with the help of the University of Oklahoma, is why the "have-nots" in the Conference will get more TV revenue than anyone in the SEC (beginning 2015)

In the immortal words of Colonel Jessop (played by Mack Brown) from "A Few Good Men" (paraphrased) " I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a out of state university who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very revenue and national exposure the the Big 12 Conference that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you hire a better staff, do a better job of recruiting and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!"

jaymar74 3 years ago

If Mangino had been retained, what would have been his record in 2010? If you think it would have been any better than 4-8 please explain how.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Beat ndsu and isu making us 5-7. And even if we don't win another game I bet we at least compete against (maybe even steal a win) ksu, bu, and mu.

kranny 3 years ago

Not even close with the recruits and players he had, especially the defense, no talent or speed save for one maybe 2 players. There's simply a small percentage of talent, size and speed on this team. Gill needs to bring in some BIG boys the next 2 years or he's looking at 4 win seasons until his contract expires.

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

One thing I will point out we may have kept a couple of recruits had he stayed (Grissom from Hutch) but would we have gotten Bourbon? Doubt it but who knows. I don't see how we could have kept MM after the whole thing came out. I want Gill and staff to succeed! I am fully behind them. That doesn't mean I won't question or b*tch about them when I don't like something. That's what fans do! But I will defend the hawks to the end!

texashawk10 3 years ago

Does everyone forget that Mangino is the same man whose records in conference play were 0-8, 3-5, 2-6, 3-5, 3-5, 7-1, 4-4, 1-7 for a grand total of 24-41. Mangino probably does beat NDSU, but there is no chance he beats GT or Colorado last year. Considering the events of 2009, how does anybody realistically think those same issues would've gone away. If Mangino survived the scandal, there would've been a mass exodus of players and recruiting takes a major hit. Here are some of the highlights of Mangino's tenure, getting banned from attending high school football games, accusing officials of fixing a game, complete disregard of parking rules on campus and verbally abusing parking attendants at KU, and also contributing in KU earning a "lack of institutional control" label from the NCAA for academic fraud within the football program. Clearly a high character guy KU had patrolling the sidelines.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, for those of you who have a problem with Zenger's KSU pedigree and are Mangino apologists, do you forget that Mangino spent 7 years as an assistant at KSU or do you just turn a blind eye because he lucked into an Orange Bowl win?

Funhawk 3 years ago

Best post of the day by texashawk10.

nuleafjhawk 3 years ago

texashawk10 - I guess I understand the loyalty, by some, to Mangino as he was the first coach in a long time that had ANY degree of success. Orange Bowl aside, that success was pretty minimal, as you most accurately described in your above post.

Mangino brought some attention to KU football, and in many people's eyes that made him a good coach. He is not a good coach. If he were, he would be coaching somewhere now.

Did anyone hear his name brought up when Coach Cheaty McSweater got run out of Ohio? No. Do you think that Will Muschamp was Florida's second choice behind Mangino when Urban Meyer stepped down? Mmmmm - probably not. I'm also guessing he's not on the Texas AD's speedial either when Mack Brown finally unsaddles Bevo.

I guess we're all so spoiled with the success in basketball that we just can't tolerate the idea of giving Coach Gill a chance to either prove himself, or fall on his face. At a program like Ohio State, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma to name a few, all the other pieces are in place so that when they lose a coach for whatever reason, another one can jump in and hardly skip a beat. Not so at Kansas. We need to give the man at least 3 or 4 years.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Remind me who did what? After KSU one guy went on to a national powerhouse in OU. The other went to Wyoming and Il State.

jaymar74 3 years ago

You assume Mangino would have beat the # 17 team in the country in week 2. You assume he would have beat Colorado, not a given. I don't buy your explanation. Sorry, not convinced. Team would have still been very slow, only difference is it would be the coaches recruits that were slow and not the previous coaches recruits.

Jhawk100 3 years ago

MM lost seven in a row with two of the best receivers to play at KU and currently on NFL rosters, with one of the best QB's to ever play at KU, with Stuckey a current NFL player, with Jamal Greene, Spikes, and Hatch. His star rose quickly and was fading fast - look at the gaping holes on the roster he left. I appreciate what he did but your selective retention is obvious.

midhawktx 3 years ago

Agree with ahperse...how it would have been done:
1. Better coaching 2. More accountability 3. Stronger mental toughness 4. Consistency of offense and defense 5. Better conditioning 6. Not allowed to quit during games

Ashtin Meerpohl 3 years ago

I don't really know if I understand #6. Maybe you didn't watch the same Colorado game as I did but I didn't see any quit there. Also #4, its tough to have consistency on offense when your line is banged up and you don't have a QB thats worth a lick. I don't care who's coaching if you don't have a healthy line and a decent QB its tough to win. Gill and Mangino would've been dealing with the same stuff there.

midhawktx 3 years ago

I'll give you Colorado, but raise you SDSU, Baylor, KSU.

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

Im Manignos last year, go watch the games. They looked like they quit. Just because your getting blown out doesn't mean you quit, and just because you aren't getting blown out doesn't mean your not quitting.

Gregor Southard 3 years ago

have to agree with midhawktx on all accounts. Mangino won three bowl games in 4 years. No other coach in KU history in over 100 years has even taken KU to 3 bowls games let alone win them.

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

Even Payton Manning would have looked bad lining up behind our line last season! At very least he would have looked normal not like super man back there!

nuleafjhawk 3 years ago

I've never seen those words on this site before - "Agree with ahperse..."

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Love the "didn't see quit in the cu game" take. You know what I didn't see in every game including cu? "Begin"

jaymar74 3 years ago

They played inspired from the get to against GT.

vd 3 years ago

Beat SDSU then lose the rest. Going into the MU game the team is looking for its first conference victory of the year. Up two points with 50 seconds to go, Ku has the ball at its 10 yd line. The great MM calls 3 pass plays in a row, leaving 40 secs. for MU to kick a game winning FG. With the team only getting beat by 10 pts. vs. KSU, and losing to CU by 1 pt., and almost beating ISU, the MM fans are happy with the OB winning COY MM.

midhawktx 3 years ago

Unfortunately, I would bet the farm at under 4 wins for the year.

kranny 3 years ago

That's a safe bet. Schedule is way too tough.

midhawktx 3 years ago

If you would have told me that was a safe bet all the way back in 2008, I would have said you were crazy. What a sad state of affairs this program has fallen into. I went to school during the Allen tenure and can't believe I have to watch it again after such great success. Depressing...

kranny 3 years ago

I went to KU during the Vallesente years(mid 80s) so any wins are gravy, LOL! During those years the main attraction was mud sliding down the hill when it was raining. Went to class with 2 starting O-linemen who were 300 pounds of pure flab, absolutely no muscle. They were so knock-kneed they wore out their jeans on the inseams. Point being, it's been a lot worse.

kranny 3 years ago

Here' my take on this season and this team. Defense and QB will be the key. D-line will need to pressure better. If Berglund lives up to billing the absence will not matter because his athleticism alone will push Webb and others to the bench. On video he looks like he has some talent. He'll need to be like Reesing and think on the fly because I think the jury is still out on the O-line. Berglund will be on the field by the 3rd game if not sooner despite the absence and we're going to see some crazy $h!# from him. Won't translate to wins but will give Jayhawk nation a guarded sense of optimism for the future. Maybe 3 wins. Schedule is too tough.

Jhawk100 3 years ago

You are nuts if you think Berglund has a chance to contribute meaningfully this year. If he had been here through the spring semester but too late for the upcoming season.

mustlehustle 3 years ago

Have they moved Homecoming or Parent's Day to the McNeese State game as a precaution?

Patrick Leiker 3 years ago

Having Spikes back and a healthy J. Hatch is going to be huge for the OL this year. They were the walking wounded/out of shape last year.

DocBean 3 years ago

4?! How can the over/under be 4? Wouldn't that mean that KU has as good of a chance at winning 6 games as it does at winning 2? They might get 2, but there is no way in hell they're winning 6.

0 would be bad, 5 would be great. I think the over/under needs to be 2.5, 3 if you're an optimist.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

"running to mass"

Thanks! Going to use that all season. Starting with:

Running to mass. Like the fans at Memorial Stadium do at halftime.

HawkTronic 3 years ago

Does "Running to Mass" refer to wanting Mangino back?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

This may be the best comment I have ever read! Lol!

jaydee909 3 years ago

ahperse, you are suppose to be out fertilizing Coach Gill's sunflower patch. Now go make yourself useful and go "spread" out.

Gregor Southard 3 years ago

Unfortunately, the over under is 1. The fact that the lead story is that one of our players isn't fat anymore is depressing.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years ago

Here it is. Write it down. I'll take the over.

P.S. If anyone comes near me with an ax, I will jump off this limb.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years ago

I'm wondering where are the 74 people from the poll who think the football team will make a bowl game?!

Even I voted for the basketball team!

average 3 years ago

"Last year at this time, I didn't quite understand deep details."

No problem with Gill as a person. He's about as good a coach as we can probably expect to get. But how did someone so, self-admittedly, totally out of his league, with a losing smaller-conference record, coming off a losing season, manage to get a contract better paid than 5 other Big 12 coaches, with a better guarantee than any other Big 12 coach?

Blaming Perkins here, not the black Ned Flanders. Because if someone offered me that deal, I'd have taken it too.

Larry Smith 3 years ago

Why don't you ask Gene Chizik how he managed to get the Auburn Job after putting up such a stellar record at ISU.

Oh, the difference talent makes.

fromthatstandpoint 3 years ago

Gill is very much a relationship guy. He is not talking about not understanding deep details of football. He is talking about not understanding the deep details about who his players are as people, what motivates them, what makes them tick, how to get them to maximize their talent, effort, commitment, competitiveness, etc. Go back to some video from when he arrived. He talked about getting to know the players "on a deep level."

If you think he is saying he was in over his head you are nuts.

squawkhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Oh, but he is in over his head.

Larry Smith 3 years ago

If Turner Gill wins 1 game against a team from the "South" it would be better than 6 of Mangino's seasons. 4 total wins in 8 years against the south (3 in the 2007 season), and the guy is a hero.

Gill loses 2 more games in his first season than Mangino did in his last, and he has "run this program into the ground".

It is all laughable.

average 3 years ago

Mangino started off as the lowest-paid coach in the 12-team Big 12 and a year-to-year contract. He (arguably) worked his way to a better package, then got pushed out when it wasn't working out.

Gill got a deal worthy of a miracle worker, so more people expect it of him.

Larry Smith 3 years ago

So Mangino's excuse for never beating teams from the south was that he was not paid to? I thought this was about coaching abilty/results, not salaries.

Are you saying that if Gill was paid 1.5 million (towards the bottom of the league), then last season would have been acceptable among these same fans?

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

I think he is saying because of the big contract, most fans expect big results right away. I say that would be a fair statement.

squawkhawk 3 years ago

Maybe Gill should give the players their cell phone so they can communicate with each other more! LOL

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years ago

I'm on this board because I love KU and enjoy being a fan. Of, course I want to win. KU fans know our inconsistent and often mediocre Hx. I would love to see a coach committed to building a program and staying. I want Gill to do the first so that I can hope for continuity. We're unlikely to get many wins this season. I hope to minimize blowouts of the 59-7 variety. I know others troll here to be the first to post a sarcastic one-liner or (e.g., squawkhawk) to laud all things purple. Some people thrive on negativity. I'm glad we have this forum and I can often find some amusement in chronic critics. They are tedious but provide balance and comic relief.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

Good points. I think the boards here are great and by and large we have a good community that likes to contribute to the conversation. Trolls are unavoidable on any website where things are discussed that people are passionate about... there's something about the anonymity that some people cannot resist and find hilarious to abuse. But hey, even trolls have their uses... they contribute to my stereotyping of rival school's fans :-p.

I'm glad we have a nice site like this and aren't struck using a rivals.com board.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

My cousin is a NDSU alum... I only hope we don't schedule football games with any of my other relative's obscure universities (UW Stout? haha)... Thanksgiving was rough enough last year :-p

Anyway.... I'm curious how the B12 North teams fare overall with the B12 South... could be ugly. Also, I'm interested to see how Nebraska does in the Big 10, and probably couldn't care less how Colorado does in the Pac 10.

Larry Smith 3 years ago

Big 12 North vs. Big 12 South all-time

School: W-L

Texas: 36-9 Oklahoma: 32-13 Texas Tech: 26-19 Texas A&M: 26-19 Oklahoma St.: 24-21 Nebraska: 24-21 Missouri: 24-21 Kansas St.: 23-22 Colorado: 22-23 Baylor: 13-32 Iowa St.: 12-33 Kansas: 8-37

gammimc 3 years ago

I think Nebraska is going to have to rely very much on in-state recruiting. Now, they're going up against Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State for Big 10 blue chippers. May not fare well for them on down the road.

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

I agree and think the will be hard pressed to get kids from Texas now. But that being said Nebraska makes me wanna puke! Traitors!

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

Hardly! They're still stealing kids from the KC area, and Bo Pelini is from Ohio, so he'll get kids from there, too. Not sure if this is just bitterness, but I say we move on and let them enjoy playing in what Nebraska fans have long called the slow, overrated Big 10!!!

justanotherfan 3 years ago

I don't think we will see a ton of wins this year, but unlike last year, we have a chance for some upsets because we have more team speed.

Last year, we were dependent on being able to put together 6-8 plays in a row in order to make a drive happen. This year, with the speed we have at RB and WR, one play could be a home run. That takes a lot of pressure off our offense to have to sustain every drive for us to have a chance at points.

On defense, our increased speed should help us prevent the big play a little bit more. Also, the healthy return of Tharp and Terry should really boost the defense. And the speed could help us force some turnovers, which could turn a game around.

My guess is 3 wins, but with a good bounce or two, that could be four or even five. I don't think six is realistic looking at the schedule, but 3-5 wins is a foundation for a program trying to get on the right track.

Cole Hogan 3 years ago

Tony Bandle 3 years ago

Maybe, if you drop "Street" from the Headline, it would be more appropriate because we are going to need Divine Intervention to even survive this year.

Actually going winless will be a big advantage on Draft Day when we can pick the Cream of the Crop and.....oh wait....I thought I was talking about my St.Louis Rams..... never mind!!!

Ethan Berger 3 years ago

Worst article I have ever read.

squawkhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

"All of the programs are projected to finish in the bottom half this season. Of the group, Baylor has the best quarterback, Kansas State the best coach, Iowa State the best attitude and Kansas the longest way to go." -Blair Kirkhoff

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/26/3039174/confidence-from-big-12s-lesser.html#ixzz1TLM3F4Gz

OKHawkFan 3 years ago

So listening to Oklahoma sports radio down here one of the local sports writers basically said KU Football is pathetic and Turner is not the answer. I kind of rolled my eyes on that comment I mean come on give Turner at least until after year 4!! I agree with the posts about Mangino's collective record against the south....That was pretty pathetic if you ask me. He had one lucky season in 2007 due to not having to face OU, Texas & TT. Don't get me wrong KU was a pretty solid team that year (I can even remember Lou Holtz singing KU's praises that year). But we still lost to Mizzou and OU beat MU both times that year so to think that KU was an Elite team in 2007 is kind of a stretch in my opinion. Remember 2009 preseason when KU was picked to win the Big XII North? Let's face it, we aren't going to be any good in the new Big XII if we can't recruit with the best of them (Reesing was a once every 40 years type of find). Gill can recruit the only question is can he win in this league? Only time will tell and if there's one positive about Turner it's that if he can turn KU around he'll be here for a very long time based on his comments that he wants to build a dynasty at KU. And if he can't get it done/see vast competitve improvement within 4 years then I'll be the first to say it's time for a change. RCJH!!!!

squawkhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

I rank Gill right up there with Terry Allen. Nuf said.

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

Why does everybody like to talk about Mangino being the only decent coach KU has had in decades? Anybody remember Glen Mason? He took two teams to bowl games, destroyed a UCLA team that featured Kareem A-J, Jonathon Ogden and Cade McNown. And he went 10-2 in 1995, losing only to KSU and a Nebraska team that went on to win the national championship. That team won at Colorado against a CU team that I want to say was ranked #2 at the time. Dude needs some respect, and I NEVER hear him mentioned on this page...

OKHawkFan 3 years ago

Yes Glen Mason was a great coach for KU I agree. But let's face it he was a big Ten guy all the way kinda like Roy was always a Tarheel. I think people don't talk about him because KU was always a stepping stone for him for a better coaching job IMO. But yeah Mason did give us a lot of good years and for that we should be appreciative.